PDA

View Full Version : So I got some spin pins

Monkey962
September 30th, 2011, 03:52 PM
And, well, I'm kind of disappointed. The biggest I could get was just regular-sized ones, and they don't look like they'll be able to hold much for long, and I got them for holding up my hair during vigorous activity. They cost me more than $7, which makes me want to return them. Has anyone had any experience with regular spin pins? How secure are they?

wtchmel
September 30th, 2011, 03:57 PM
What is a spin pin?

Panth
September 30th, 2011, 04:02 PM
I posted a thread a while back asking about them here (http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76856).

I ended up buying two packets of regular sized ones (so, 4 total) - mine were £5 per packet, so about $15.50 total. I find they work very well - better for some buns than others, but in general very well. So far I've used them for regular cinnabuns, plaited cinnabuns and the orchid bun. They are my most secure method for all of those, except the plaited cinnabun - that's more secure with my 4 homemade double-pointed knitting needle Amish pins. However, those make the bun really quite heavy and, for most activities (minus heavy farm work and maybe (though I haven't tried it) jogging/running), the spin pins are more than adequate.

I'm sure if I could be bothered I'd be able to do lots of other updos with them.

As far as breaking them, well, I have used them quite a lot and haven't managed to break them yet. However, I'm careful to keep them in a safe spot. I doubt they'd break with general use, but I wouldn't want to try sitting or standing on them.

I really like mine. I figure I'll get a fair bit of use out of them, particularly since they create nice, sturdy, quick-to-make buns with no visible means of staying up - perfect for interviews or formal events when fancy hairtoys might be frowned upon.

Alaia
September 30th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I Have thick hair and use the normal size spin pins.

They hold like a rock, and I use only the two that came in the pack ;)

MissManda
September 30th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I have some spin pin knockoffs made by Conair and they're the only thing that can hold a cinnabun up for many hours while hairsticks just pop out. Two or three of them hold my hair up just fine and even though they sometimes feel like they will bend out of shape (they're made of metal), it hasn't happened yet. :D

spidergoat
September 30th, 2011, 04:37 PM
I'm quite fond of my two spin pins :) They hold my bun the best out of all the toys I can use, and my hair likes to slip loose a lot.

teal
September 30th, 2011, 04:38 PM
Another vote for rock-solid bun-holding here. I also use them for swimming... the bun doesn't move a bit!

Juneii
September 30th, 2011, 04:42 PM
How are you inserting the spin pins? You definitely need to play around with them to find out what works best. Be sure to get the scalp hair too.

jojo
September 30th, 2011, 05:37 PM
How are you inserting the spin pins? You definitely need to play around with them to find out what works best. Be sure to get the scalp hair too.

this should be of help, its by some northern bird with a silly voice by the name of Jojo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e62FQC1kFb8

Cassie 123
September 30th, 2011, 05:43 PM
I use mine practically 24/7. Here are all of the tips that I can think of:

1. Make your updo snug and flat to your head, with the ends tucked under if it's a cinnabun

2. While squashing the bun flat with one hand, use the other hand to spin the pin in through both the bun and the scalp hair at the same time. The spot on your scalp where the hair is thickest will anchor the best.

3. Placement matters: spin the first pin in near the place where you've tucked the ends under. If you have only two pins, do the other one at a 90 degree angle to the first or a little more. Interlocking the pins is ok and will enhance stability a little. If you have three pins, space them evenly around in thirds; four pins at N, S, E, W would be extremely stable if your bun is very large, though I don't know if it would be a problem interlocking so many.

4. If it's poking your scalp, the pin may be splayed apart from trying to penetrate an extremely tight bun. You can often take the pin out and put it back in without redoing the whole updo.

5. If you only have two spin pins but you really need more, they also work as team players with other hairtoys such as bent knitting needles.

Roseate
September 30th, 2011, 05:53 PM
How secure are they?

VERY! And I've got ornery thick Ficcare-defying hair. These work.

skyblue
September 30th, 2011, 06:03 PM
Oh I love mine! I use them almost every day!
My hair isn't very thick at all so one holds really well
especially a few days after a wash any sooner then I need two
as my hair is too slippy lol
But yeah make sure you grab a small part of your bun and some scalp hair
they work wonders you hardly now they are there

irishlady
September 30th, 2011, 06:08 PM
Personally I don't like them :(They do not hold a bun very well for me at all, both when my hair was long and now.
I only got them to work successfully once, since then they just fall out again, I hate the look of messy buns on myself, well at least the ones the spin pins create.

pepperminttea
September 30th, 2011, 06:11 PM
they don't look like they'll be able to hold much for long
(Emphasis added.)

Silly question, but have you actually tried them yet? ;)

Monkey962
September 30th, 2011, 06:47 PM

(Emphasis added.)

Silly question, but have you actually tried them yet? ;)

Not a silly question at all, because I haven't! You see, I'm very cheap and if these little guys don't work, I'd like to be able to return them, which means I can't open the package. I'm just looking for some reassurance that they work well.

this should be of help, its by some northern bird with a silly voice by the name of Jojo!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e62FQC1kFb8

Haha, I like your accent. I had no idea you were from the UK.

Athena's Owl
September 30th, 2011, 11:32 PM
I have three goody spin pins. they are thinner than the other hair screws that I think I bought from someone here, years ago. I find they hold my cinnabuns and braided buns wonderfully.

Juneii
October 1st, 2011, 12:24 AM
Not a silly question at all, because I haven't! You see, I'm very cheap and if these little guys don't work, I'd like to be able to return them, which means I can't open the package. I'm just looking for some reassurance that they work well.

I think if you open the box carefully and make note of where everything is you may be able to get away with returning them if they don't work (as long as you clean them before you do!).
Can't believe I jumped to conclusions before asking you if you actually tried them or not. So to echo everyone else's response. Yes they work very very well. I have four regular ones and three mini ones. Depending on the style I may use all of them. But usually I just use the four regular ones.

Teamouse
October 1st, 2011, 12:27 AM
I have never heard of these before. Cute idea.
I can't help worrying about how it would be to take them out. Do they tangle?

pink.sara
October 1st, 2011, 01:12 AM
I've had my spin pins (they were called hair scroos) since the 80's when Boots in the UK started selling them. They are A-Mazing.
I've used 4 to hold a bun on TB, thick hair. And I use 3 now (I do interlock them) to hold a peacock twist.
They have never bent out of shape, even with interlocking. And even though I have chipped the paint and gone over the chips with nail varnish to prevent snags, I still have my original ones (my mum bought me 8 when I was about 7 to use on my thigh plait in gym because I kept breaking hair elastics trying to bun it all!)
I can't even use a L Ficcare at APL so these are my daily go to pins :)

CurlyMopTop
October 1st, 2011, 05:16 AM
I have a pair and I love them! :D

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 05:27 AM

Haha, I like your accent. I had no idea you were from the UK.

I think my accent is horrible I sound like a bloke ha ha!!:cheese:

pepperminttea
October 1st, 2011, 06:46 AM
Just to chime in, they work really well for me too. Sometimes you have to play about with them, like any new unfamiliar hairtoy, but they're well worth trying. :)

Psh, there's nowt wrong with your accent. :D (And you don't sound like a bloke!)

Panth
October 1st, 2011, 07:06 AM

Nope, you simply turn them in the opposite direction to when you put them in and they screw right out again. Now, if you tried to *pull* them out, that'd probably result in a mess, so don't do that. :p

WaitingSoLong
October 1st, 2011, 07:24 AM

I get asked this a lot when other people see my spin pins. They screw in and out, nothing to tangle :)

They have never bent out of shape, even with interlocking. And even though I have chipped the paint and gone over the chips with nail varnish to prevent snags,

Mine have never bent but the finish does wear off after awhile. I cannot live without mine but I am a but disappointed that the finish doesn't last long, I think they are rather expensive for all that they are.

I HATE my own voice, JOJO. I think I sound "throaty" and like a due, or bloke as you say LOL. I have no way to do videos or I would post one just for fun so all the LHCers could hear/see what I am like. Still photos are not the same. Of course I have met a few LHCers at a meet this past summer....that has forever changed how I read their posts now because I can picture them talking, just like I can with your posts after watching your video! Ok, end OT comments...

Two spin pins cannot hold my hair. And if I don't place them just right, my tail always slips out (even though securing the tail is always what I use the first pin for). I need 3-4 and I bought both sizes, I use 2 larger ones at 4/5 and 7/8 o'clock and two smaller ones at 11 and 1 o'clock or something like that.

longcurlygirl<3
October 1st, 2011, 07:38 AM
I Have thick hair and use the normal size spin pins.

They hold like a rock, and I use only the two that came in the pack ;)

Me two but my hair is waist length 3a-3cish curls. It worked great :)

Anje
October 1st, 2011, 03:38 PM
Heh, Jojo. I saw the video with DH, and he immediately said "Yorkshire!" Is that right?

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 05:31 PM
heck sorry keeps double posting>>>>>>>>>>>>walks off to sit on the naughty step!

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 05:32 PM
Just to chime in, they work really well for me too. Sometimes you have to play about with them, like any new unfamiliar hairtoy, but they're well worth trying. :)

Psh, there's nowt wrong with your accent. :D (And you don't sound like a bloke!) you must be from my neck of the woods saying nowt! funny i had you down being from Texas, i always imagined you with a proper Texas accent, should have checked your location! ha ha thats totally thrown me!

I get asked this a lot when other people see my spin pins. They screw in and out, nothing to tangle :)

Mine have never bent but the finish does wear off after awhile. I cannot live without mine but I am a but disappointed that the finish doesn't last long, I think they are rather expensive for all that they are.

I HATE my own voice, JOJO. I think I sound "throaty" and like a due, or bloke as you say LOL. I have no way to do videos or I would post one just for fun so all the LHCers could hear/see what I am like. Still photos are not the same. Of course I have met a few LHCers at a meet this past summer....that has forever changed how I read their posts now because I can picture them talking, just like I can with your posts after watching your video! Ok, end OT comments...

Two spin pins cannot hold my hair. And if I don't place them just right, my tail always slips out (even though securing the tail is always what I use the first pin for). I need 3-4 and I bought both sizes, I use 2 larger ones at 4/5 and 7/8 o'clock and two smaller ones at 11 and 1 o'clock or something like that. I always read a post in my head like, with the accent I think the poster has, now im reading your posts in a Bonnie tyler accent!

Heh, Jojo. I saw the video with DH, and he immediately said "Yorkshire!" Is that right? not far off im 3 miles off the West Yorkshire border, im a Lancashire lass:D and to think i was using my telephone voice too for the video;)

GRU
October 2nd, 2011, 08:51 AM
Do they work? Yep!

Do they tangle? Nope!

Are they expensive for what they are? Yep!

Are they worth the expense? Yep!

If the expense is really worrying you, you can do a few things.

Buy them from Walmart or Target -- they'll take them back if they don't work.

Buy the knock-offs from China off ebay -- DIRT cheap. They're not as nice (the ends might need to be sanded down, and they're not quite as long), but you're only out two bucks if you don't like them, and you get ten of them in a pack so if you need more than two, you have extras to use.

Ask friends if they have any you can try before you commit to the purchase.

WaitingSoLong
October 2nd, 2011, 11:55 AM
I always read a post in my head like, with the accent I think the poster has, now im reading your posts in a Bonnie tyler accent!

i was using my telephone voice too for the video;)

1. Who is Bonnie Tyler?

2. What is a telephone voice and why is it different than your normal voice?

3. I don't have an accent LOL

Cassie 123
October 2nd, 2011, 12:34 PM
1. Who is Bonnie Tyler?

2. What is a telephone voice and why is it different than your normal voice?

3. I don't have an accent LOL

Hehe.. I don't imagine anybody with accents, which actually means that I mentally give you all California accents (http://www.pbs.org/speak/seatosea/americanvarieties/californian/). So you guys are all, dude, why's my hair, like, gross today?!

I definitely used a different voice for answering a telephone at my old workplaces. Lower and a little slower, for me.

OP - we are eagerly awaiting a spin pin update. ;)

pepperminttea
October 2nd, 2011, 12:42 PM
you must be from my neck of the woods saying nowt! funny i had you down being from Texas, i always imagined you with a proper Texas accent, should have checked your location! ha ha thats totally thrown me!

Texas! Now there's one I haven't heard before. :lol: I actually just have a boring general-southern-ish English accent, originally from near Cambridge. :)

GlassWidow
October 2nd, 2011, 01:25 PM
jojo, you are adorable, and so is your voice. :)

As for the original question, I love my spin pins! I don't think anyone on this thread has said it (and I apologize if I just missed it) but make sure you don't screw them into each other as you're inserting them. Not only do they not work as well that way, but they are also a royal pain in the patootie to remove if they're screwed together!

Cassie 123
October 2nd, 2011, 01:50 PM
As for the original question, I love my spin pins! I don't think anyone on this thread has said it (and I apologize if I just missed it) but make sure you don't screw them into each other as you're inserting them. Not only do they not work as well that way, but they are also a royal pain in the patootie to remove if they're screwed together!

That's debatable (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=78596)! :)

WaitingSoLong
October 4th, 2011, 06:28 AM
I agree, I interlock mine all the time. Kind of hard NOT to do when you use 4.

Apple_Betty
October 4th, 2011, 07:44 AM
Another spin pin lover here, and I'm in the interlock club! I've had mine for two years, so they've been with me from apl to bsl. They've never caused tangles, and they've always kept my hair just where I put it. I use them every night to secure my bun for sleeping too!

WaitingSoLong
October 4th, 2011, 03:50 PM
I use them every night to secure my bun for sleeping too!

Is the bun on top of your head? I cannot sleep with a bun :(

Rowan1980
October 4th, 2011, 03:57 PM
I just bought these last week and love 'em! Nice and snug. :)

Apple_Betty
October 4th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Is the bun on top of your head? I cannot sleep with a bun :(

Yes, I put it right on top. :) If I have it down on the back of my head, I get the worst crick in my neck. Granted, I have A LOT less hair than you! I would think that the weight from all of your glorious hair in a bun might be hard to sleep with.

kitschy
October 4th, 2011, 07:15 PM
They work for me, but then again, I can tie my bun in a knot without using any pins at all and it stays put.

GRU
October 4th, 2011, 07:19 PM
I sleep with a bun on the very tippy top of my head (like almost to my forehead) about 99&#37; of the time.

I make it loosely, so there are no little pulling hairs or any tightness, and it's up too far to interfere with my pillow.

WaitingSoLong
October 5th, 2011, 05:34 AM
Yes, I put it right on top. :) If I have it down on the back of my head, I get the worst crick in my neck. Granted, I have A LOT less hair than you! I would think that the weight from all of your glorious hair in a bun might be hard to sleep with.

All my GLORIOUS hair? lol. Thanks :o

I sleep with a bun on the very tippy top of my head (like almost to my forehead) about 99% of the time.

I make it loosely, so there are no little pulling hairs or any tightness, and it's up too far to interfere with my pillow.

See, I sleep with a pillow over my head. NOTHING is safe from my pillows. I think I may be able to manage, I could try one night (I could see that spin pins would be the only way this could be accomplished, sticks would never survive). It is the "getting up" that bothers me. My hair works loose when I braid it, even if it is tight. A top-of-the-head bun would be loose by morning and when I stand up would be pulling, most likely, and immediately have to come down. I don't usually mess with my hair at all until about an hour after I get up. I can always try. One night can't hurt!