PDA

View Full Version : do you like comments on your hair?

lizdini
September 30th, 2011, 09:45 AM
Since I'm at apl now (just barely, but it counts:p) I like it when people notice that my hair has gotten longer/looks healthy/whatever. :D
There's a girl at work who had classic length and I noticed her ends looked more blunt then the last time I saw her so I asked if she had cut it. She said she cut 3 inches off (now about tbl or hip) and thanked me because I'm the only one who noticed!

So I was wondering, do you all like it when people notice/comment on your hair out in the real world? Do silly comments like that annoy you? Cheese?

ElusiveMuse
September 30th, 2011, 09:46 AM
I like nice comments, and I like discussing haircare. I get really annoyed when people tell me I need to cut off my hair and donate it to Locks of Love.

claram89
September 30th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I have been starting to get comments on my almost APL length. I generally wear my hair up in buns and braids, so the length always surprises people since the last time they saw my hair down it was barely shoulder length!

pepperminttea
September 30th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I like the kind comments, especially the involuntary reactions or accidentally-overheard ones, but the odd nasty ones... no. There's something to be said for "If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." :p

isabelx
September 30th, 2011, 10:05 AM
Yeah I do :D My mum said the other day 'it's definitely the longest it's ever been' and my boyfriend said it's in much better condition now! makes me feel like all my efforts are worth it.

Sundial
September 30th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I like nice comments because it goes to show that all my haircare efforts have had a positive effect on my hair which people have noticed. Those "your hair is getting long" comments get a bit old sometimes, but it reassures me that I haven't reached a stall like I thought.

Madora
September 30th, 2011, 10:32 AM
Sure! I guess I've been fortunate because all comments have been pleasant and never negative.

IanB
September 30th, 2011, 10:37 AM
I always appreciate peoples opinions, but make my own decisions!

Yame
September 30th, 2011, 10:45 AM
I've trimmed 3in off my hair without anyone noticing. Funny that to me it feels like such a huge difference!

ssjhotau2
September 30th, 2011, 10:52 AM
I like over-hearing people comment on my hair :)

When people stop me to comment on my hair, I like it, but I'm not sure how to thank them- it seems to make people feel awkward when I say "thanks! I work hard at it" so idk what to say.

I hate when people give me their opinions about my length such as whether I should donate it or cut it or such- but there are far more people who threaten me with physical abuse if I cut because I've inspired so many co-workers to grow their hair long or grow their virgin hair or change their hair care routine :p

JuliaDancer
September 30th, 2011, 12:29 PM
I've never had people say negative things, but yesterday I got in the elevator at work to go up to the 12th floor, and a man and a woman got in. She got off on 8 and he suddenly jumped and said "I forgot to press my floor! I was too busy looking at your hair!" I had it in 2 Dutch braids, pinned around my head like a crown. He asked if it was very difficult, and I told him it takes 15 minutes with practice, and he said it was very pretty. I like those kinds of comments!

WinterButterfly
September 30th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I like it when people notice my hair. Of course I stopped getting the your hair is getting long at about waist. But I get a lot of the your hair looks so healthy. That's always nice. I like dooing a dramatic style that will turn heads. I haven't gotten negative comments yet. But I don't keep company with those who are constantly negative people. It's too much work. I like getting nice comments when I am out and my hair is down.

Shesta
September 30th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I don't usually get comments on my hair. If it happens it's because of some intricate-looking braid-do that I've done. Never got comments on length or shiny looks :(
Honestly, this is discouraging me to wear my hair down.

Aerin
September 30th, 2011, 03:17 PM
I always like a compliment, though if it's not a compliment, I'd prefer not to hear it.

KwaveT
September 30th, 2011, 03:18 PM
I am most definitely getting the length of my hair noticed now. I use to trim above ears now it is dipping below the ears. It is definitely getting noticed with everybody asking me how long I am going to grow it. I haven't trimmed since April/May. Also, have others asking me what I have done to my hair. I started using a boar bristle brush to distribute the oils for shine. Everybody thinks I am doing something drastic there.:D I like it when others take notice of these things. I get much more notice for my long fingernails. All the same to me since I am sucker for complements. I am not going to let other's negative opinions bother me. I do what I think looks good on me.

wtchmel
September 30th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I like it if they're positive in nature. I don't want to hear anyones negative opinions on my hair, unless I ask them.
It always feels good when someone compliments your hair, or growth. Years ago i used to have this elderly hostess that i worked with that was in her 80's, she always said negative things about my hair, such as "Jesus Mel, you need to dye that mop,it makes you look older, you're grayer than I am!"( i was in my thirties at the time!) I actualy didn't mind when she said it because of her age and I just loved her.... Hell, i'm rambling, sorry,lol

Fairy tale
September 30th, 2011, 03:31 PM
I like nice comments, but i don't really like when people ask what you did to get it that way. I guess I just feel like it is none of there bussines?

MaryLA
September 30th, 2011, 03:35 PM
Yes I like nice hair complements. It always makes me smile!

luxepiggy
September 30th, 2011, 03:51 PM
Of course! Compliments, criticism - doesn't really matter to me. Either way it means they noticed something. I'd rather be thought ugly or weird than plain or boring (^(oo)^)v

Madora
September 30th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Of course! Compliments, criticism - doesn't really matter to me. Either way it means they noticed something. I'd rather be thought ugly or weird than plain or boring (^(oo)^)v

Boring?! Miss LuxePiggy, banish the thought immediately! :)

pepperpot
September 30th, 2011, 04:25 PM
I enjoy comments because most of the time they are complements about it being in good condition. Only twice I can remember someone criticizing my hair by saying it was too long, but I didn't really care.

Avital88
September 30th, 2011, 04:57 PM
most comment i get is people asking me if i have extensions, when i say no they always touch the back of my hair and head to feel if im speaking the truth haha its so funny.. no strangers ,just coworkers and people i am familiar with..but still..are there people out there who say its their hair while in fact they have extensions?

Mairéad
September 30th, 2011, 06:03 PM
My hair isn't long yet but my friend says I naturally have "hair ad" hair. So, I guess that means it's in excellent condition. Most of the random comments I get on the street are about my hair color. Last year a young man stopped me in the quad to tell me I had the most beautiful hair color he'd ever seen. :o

MaryRose
September 30th, 2011, 08:28 PM
I would enjoy positive comments from strangers, sadly I haven't recieved any yet.

Cirafly24
September 30th, 2011, 08:31 PM
Yes, I do like positive comments on my hair. Compliments are always nice to hear. :)

Quetiepi
September 30th, 2011, 09:40 PM
MaryRose, I love the color of your hair!

Madora, you always say the nicest things. You are such a love!

Flying Penguin
September 30th, 2011, 09:44 PM
I would love to get comments on my hair, haha. But since it's not quite BSL, it's not very unusual. Actually when I was younger I got quite a few compliments on my hair. But I didn't have it long or anything. I guess it just looked healthy. But I haven't gotten any comments in the past few years (aw man, what happened?? lol). (Not counting my roommate, but we compliment each other on our hair, clothes, and whatnot all the time. :D) Although I would only want to hear the positive comments...

Last year a young man stopped me in the quad to tell me I had the most beautiful hair color he'd ever seen. :o

Wow, that is quite a compliment! :)

Druid of Alba
September 30th, 2011, 09:45 PM
I like positive comments, but hate the negative ones. Fortunately (sort of), I never really get any comments on my hair at all.

luxepiggy
October 1st, 2011, 02:44 PM
Boring?! Miss LuxePiggy, banish the thought immediately! :)

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/ff33/shoppingpiglet/piggies/3heo131.gif

Thanks Madora! (^(oo)^)

sheepofshalott
October 1st, 2011, 02:57 PM
Whenever I get a compliment I preen for hours after, but boy do those locks of love comments put me in a bad mood!

I think about half the comments are just "Your hair is so long!", what do they expect me to say to that??

Carolyn
October 1st, 2011, 04:23 PM
Whenever I get a compliment I preen for hours after, but boy do those locks of love comments put me in a bad mood!

I think about half the comments are just "You're hair is so long!", what do they expect me to say to that??Whoa! Your font it so teeny tiny, I can't read it. Can you please consider using the standard font we have here? It would make reading what you have to say so much easier.

I rarely get a hair comment. I would guess that it's because my hair is almost always up in a bun when I'm out in public. People know my hair is "long" and it's always up in some kind of a bun. I'm really surprised I get almost no comments on my hair toys. I think hair toys are so pretty and like jewelry. Maybe it's because they are on the back of my head. The few comments I've gotten in the last few years have been positive or admiring. I'm good with that. I get tons of comments on my nails and quite a few on my bags. Maybe hair is too personal to comment on?

MaryRose
October 1st, 2011, 05:37 PM
Awhhh, thanks Quetiepi, I really appreciate that.

long&blonde
October 1st, 2011, 07:17 PM
I enjoy the sincere kind comments of strangers. I am a total klutz at French Braiding, & must admit I enjoy feeling the eyes of all the older ladies getting their hair done,watching the girl braid mine.

teal
October 1st, 2011, 09:44 PM
I think I would like them if I got them! So far I can't remember anyone saying anything other than, "Wow, your hair's getting long, eh?" D'oh! I do keep it up pretty much all the time, though, and it's only very recently that I've put it in any style other than very basic braids and buns.

Macaroni
October 1st, 2011, 10:21 PM
My hair is almost always up and this is what I get:

"Is that all your hair?" Yes.

"How long does it take you to put it up?" Just 10 minutes and I don't have to touch it for the rest of the day.

"It's beautiful." Thank you.

It's like a script and it's always women :).

owlathena
October 2nd, 2011, 12:59 AM
I like comments from my good friends, but when someones just an acquaintance, it can make me really self conscious. Because I feel like my hair doesnt look good, and they're being sarcastic because someone told them how obsessed I am.

I get comments from strangers all the time about my hair color. They always ask if its natural and I say no, I henna it. And then I have to explain what henna is and it makes me uncomfortable.

But if they were commenting on my length I would be very flattered (hasnt happened yet). I just dont like explaining all the weird things I do to my hair.

UltraBella
October 2nd, 2011, 01:30 AM
I always get told I have "movie star" hair. That phrase seems to be contagious, I hear it often. I like the compliments, I put up with the old ladies touching it, but I absolutely hate being asked if I have extensions. Just because my hair is thick does not mean I have extensions !!! Irks me.

Modarunner
October 2nd, 2011, 01:48 AM
I got the best hair comment from the hair dresser who last trimmed my hair. I was telling her about how I totally destroyed my hair and had to cut it off and the new haircare routine I'm doing and she said that my hair was really healthy. That simple comment totally validated what I'm doing and makes me want to keep up with my routine and keep growing my hair.

Lostsoule77
October 2nd, 2011, 02:00 AM
I don't get comments often, but when I do they are either weird or nice & I usually like the nice ones. In fact I wore my hair down to a wedding last weekend and to a bar tonight and it was commented on both nights. There was also some girl talking to some guys about it, but I couldn't hear what they were saying. It was kinda frizzy so it might not have been good.

I was wearing a spiral stick a few months ago and a woman asked if I had a drill bit in my hair! It does kind of look like one, only it's green/black & made of wood. About a month before that I had a guy tell me I looked like a martian because I had longer hair sticks in and you could just see them above my head. I didn't particulary like either of those comments, but they were kind of amusing.

irishlady
October 2nd, 2011, 06:14 AM
Yes I do like comments provided they are not rude. I am shy though so I feel a bit awkward, but I say Thank You at least. :)
I don't like it though when they give me "advice" that I should cut my hair, when I didn't ask for advice in the first place, or when they say they like my hair, followed by I should cut it off, that confuses me.

arc691
October 2nd, 2011, 06:52 AM
I like nice comments, and I like discussing haircare. I get really annoyed when people tell me I need to cut off my hair and donate it to Locks of Love.

I think about half the comments are just "You're hair is so long!", what do they expect me to say to that??

My hair is almost always up and this is what I get:

"Is that all your hair?" Yes.

"How long does it take you to put it up?" Just 10 minutes and I don't have to touch it for the rest of the day.

"It's beautiful." Thank you.

It's like a script and it's always women :).

I totally agree with all of the above~ except that when I'm off-island I get comments from men, too, which I usually don't like. I don't like getting comments in person from married men. Very bad taste, in my opinion. A long hair forum is different~ we all share a common interest and enjoy encouraging and complimenting each other. But to have a total stranger come up to you in a public place and start raving about your hair is quite a different matter, especially if their wife is standing right there. Ughhh! Thankfully this doesn't happen much anymore since I wear my hair up.

Comments from kids are so sweet! Many times I've been in a store and heard a little girl whispering to her mom to look at that girl's long hair! :)

In Tae Kwon Do class last week, I dismissed my students to get a drink of water and let my hair down so I could re-do the clips that were holding it up. One of the boys (about 12 or so) was shocked to see how long my hair was. It was really kind of cute~ I wear my hair up practically all the time, so not everybody realized how long it is. Although I've noticed that other long-hair people can usually tell from the size of my braid or bun that I have long hair and compliment me on it.

It's amazing to me how many other people face the same situations I do, like being told to cut my hair and donate it to Locks for Love. The worst is being told of a "niece" or "daughter" who grew their hair long so they could donate it. IMO that's like saying, You selfish beast! Keeping all that to yourself! I usually just say, "Oh, really? That's nice," and change the subject or excuse myself and leave politely ;)

This is much too long, I'll close now. :p

EdG
October 2nd, 2011, 07:13 AM
The comments that I receive are pretty much always positive. Occasionally, I will receive an envious comment or a humorous comment.
Ed

melmmo
October 2nd, 2011, 10:55 AM
I got a compliment on my hair last night! It's the first compliment I've gotten in a long time, or even any comment other than "Your hair is getting long!" I was waiting in line for the bathroom when I was out, and the woman behind me in line said my hair was so pretty. I was glowing the rest of the evening.

Sunny_side_up
October 2nd, 2011, 11:31 AM
A couple years ago when i was growing out my layers i'd tie my hair in a double pony regularly and if my hair had undone itself and become a single pony there were a couple occasions where people would say your hairs getting long! (passing shoulder!)And i'd have a secret smile to myself;)
Then with my next batch of layers i got fed up with, i did the regular trim route... havn't received such comments because there was no length being gained. The most recent comment on my hair was a work colleague "you never have your hair out" Well... at the mo its only about APL and i keep it up everyday(have to at work, but also i dont let it down on breaks/end of the day) someday i'll undo a tumbling cascade of hair :D plus i plan to get to BSL, and wear it down more!

Lucie159
October 2nd, 2011, 12:04 PM
I would be annoyed if people told me to cut my hair for Locks of Love, I think its admirable for peole that do it, and if they want to they should, but not everyone grows their hair for that purpose. Besides, (and I am gonna go to hell for this next comment) how many bald kids are there out there??? You would think that with all the people who donate their hair they would have enough to cover then. (shaking my head over my comment SORRY!)

Kathie
October 2nd, 2011, 12:31 PM
I don't mind if other people comment on my hair. I'm always quick to notice changes on other people, which I'll almost always comment about.

jujube
October 2nd, 2011, 12:51 PM
My hair is still much too short to get Locks of Love comments, but I have my answer all ready for the day when they'll start coming.

- Why don't you donate it to Locks of Love or something?
- I actually did shave my hair off, once, when my mother had chemo for breast cancer. I also raised $2200 for the cause and I still donate regularly.

I expect the cancer part to shut them right up.

Cirafly24
October 4th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I got a rather odd comment on my hair last night...I was sitting in a restaurant, wearing a braided bun, and a man walked over to my table and said "You have some long hair!" I was a little startled, as I had been reading and wasn't expecting it. I smiled and said "yep, it's getting pretty long." and went back to my book.

The man continued to stand there looking at me, and then he said "Are you one of those holy ghost girls? I know some of them never cut their hair." I said something like "Uh...no, I just like it long." He went on, saying that he'd been sitting behind me looking at my hair, and just had to come over because he knows long hair, and my hair is so long! I kind of just smiled and laughed a little nervously until he walked away.

It was a little bit creepy. I wasn't sure how to react, since he wasn't really complimenting me. I didn't know if I should thank him, or what.

xoxophelia
October 4th, 2011, 08:19 PM
I don't usually like comments on my hair.. they are usually negative. And I get tired of everybody having opinions on what my hair should be or what is better than what it is.

Sakuracha
October 4th, 2011, 08:58 PM
I like positive comments on my hair. Sometimes people get surprised at the length and question about it. I'm weary of the comments of "too long" or "...locks of love..." but besides that it isn't too bad.

Malibu Barbie
October 4th, 2011, 09:35 PM
I get alot of comments whenever I go out. I don't mind when people ask questions on what I use or how long it took to grow. I like the beautiful hair comments BUT, I get alot of "Is that your real hair? Is your braid a clip on? I heard one lady tell another she was so jeaslous of my hair she wanted to cut off my ponytail. When I had to go to therapy for an injury, the massage lady that worked there would walk up, grab my braid, and tell me she wants to cut it off.
My boyfriend stood there in shock he told her to take her hand off my hair. I never went back there.

Somedays, its ok, but somedays the public can be a bit much:)

I never get the locks of love comment, I get all kinds of other comments but never that one.

WinterButterfly
October 4th, 2011, 11:30 PM
If someone grabbed my braid and said they wanted to cut it off, I would tell them that they would lose a limb for it. But I really don't like it when people touch my hair without my permission. Its great that you haven't gotten the locks of love comments. They kind of bight. People try to make others feel guilty because they want long hair. I mean, there are a lot of pretty good synthetic wigs out there too. And its mine. Its like someone trying to make you feel guilty for the extra dollar you earned this week, so you should donate it instead of enjoying a well earned treat. Now I have a friend who donates her hair because otherwise her parents didn't want her to get. A haircut. And the salon was paying for the haircut when she donated her hair. Now that she moved out though I'm not sure all that she wants to do. Right now she is wondering how long it can grow.

jenhow
October 5th, 2011, 12:58 AM
I like it if people notice that my hair is longer and healthier than ever! Especially if they ask me how it happened because I can then sing the praises of LHC :).

lizdini
October 5th, 2011, 01:43 AM
My hair is still much too short to get Locks of Love comments, but I have my answer all ready for the day when they'll start coming.

- Why don't you donate it to Locks of Love or something?
- I actually did shave my hair off, once, when my mother had chemo for breast cancer. I also raised $2200 for the cause and I still donate regularly.

I expect the cancer part to shut them right up.

Yup that'll shut them up good! I hope your mom is doing ok now?

Of the Fae
October 5th, 2011, 03:04 AM
I got a comment recently on how beautiful my hair was, and the colour was perfect for me, by a friend. It made me so happy :)
Most compliments I get are about my henna, and about my semi updo's, which look a bit victorian.

Rhodugune
October 5th, 2011, 04:24 AM
I'm really like my hair, and when people says nice thing about it, I get proud like mother hen over it's chick! :o :D

I mostly get nice comments, sometimes people wonder why I don't cut it in a more modern style, suggests layers and so on, say they don't get it whay I like it so long...

Like I could say to them, that I don't understand why you torture your hair and damage it, so it looks like ****! :eyebrows: :D

But I hold my tongue and try to be thankful for the fact that I know to take care of my hair and say that long hair is for me and I really like it this way. :cool:

And I'm glad we don't have anything like Lock of love here in Sweden, comments about that must be so annoying!

Nera
October 5th, 2011, 04:35 AM
I really really like it when i people compliment me about my hair. I don't know if I would do the same, because i'm too shy. What i dislike, is when people touch it without saying/asking anything. I hardly ever get negative comments, only when i'm dancing and hitting people with my hair without noticing. Haha(:

Nera
October 5th, 2011, 04:37 AM
Oh and i forgot to mention: lots of people ask if my curls are real. I don't mind them asking, but i just thing it's a strange idea because i would not deliberately choose the hair I have.

Chetanlaiho
October 5th, 2011, 07:49 AM
I generally like comments on my hair. I don't wear it down a lot so when I do I get quite a few =) and if someone comments on my bun (for some reason a braided bun gets the most attention xD) it also tends to make my day just a little brighter ^^

GrowingOut
August 20th, 2012, 04:12 PM
THIS. THE EMBODIMENT OF WHAT I HEAR AT SCHOOL.

"So, When you gonna donate?"

Also, A message to people who comment on hair.

I will accept comments, BUT DO NOT TOUCH THE HAIR WITHOUT PERMISSION. I had to braid or bun it at camp because a boy wanted to touch it after I said no.

vanillabones
August 20th, 2012, 04:25 PM
No, I rarely wear my hair down and when I do it's just comments like "oh I thought your hair was longer than that" or, "your hair's wicked short". It makes me feel bad. I wonder if I will ever be a longhair.

Cherry_Sprinkle
August 20th, 2012, 04:28 PM
If they are nice comments, yes.. if they are telling me I need a trim or asking me if I am only growing to donate it to LoL, no. I've never had anyone comment on my trims though, no one really ever notices.

eros
August 20th, 2012, 04:34 PM
THIS. THE EMBODIMENT OF WHAT I HEAR AT SCHOOL.

"So, When you gonna donate?"

Also, A message to people who comment on hair.

I will accept comments, BUT DO NOT TOUCH THE HAIR WITHOUT PERMISSION. I had to braid or bun it at camp because a boy wanted to touch it after I said no.

ohhh geeez! i HATE it when out of nowhere people just grope/pat my hair like im a dog or something. but if they ask permission and are gentle, i don't mind it at all! i'd feel flattered :P

neko_kawaii
August 20th, 2012, 04:47 PM
I would find any kind of comment amusing though I wouldn't necessarily know how to respond beyond a "thank you" which would work for either positive or negative remarks.

ilandree
August 20th, 2012, 04:56 PM
I appreciate it very much when someone takes the time to make a positive comment on my hair although it tends to make me paranoid. I wonder if now that they have come closer and gotten a good look will they change their mind, haha.

Usually all the comments are positive or simply a statement of fact ie your hair is so long. lol. I have been asked if this is my natural color (it is I've never dyed it), but that is not negative I don't think. I have been asked about Locks of Love once, and once an older woman told me that no woman over 35 should have long hair and I would have to cut it when I reached that age. Obviously I didn't listen ;)

faellen
August 20th, 2012, 05:10 PM
I like nice comments. :)

spirals
August 20th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I like comments, though admittedly they are never about length, rather my curls or color. The color compliments perplex me, as it's not a dramatic deep brown, nor a vivid red, and it's right in the middle between warm and cool. It seems the very definition of banal.

Chimom79
August 20th, 2012, 05:18 PM
I love comments about my hair but I almost always have it in a bun or braided so I haven't received too many. I try to always compliment people with lovely hair. It's just a nice thing to do. :thumbsup:

rtree721
August 20th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Compliments are always nice but it is awkward when someone comments on your hair and you don't know what to say back. Like my sister who is getting married soon said "Can I have your hair for my wedding? I might steal it while you are sleeping." Weird.

Amygirl8
August 20th, 2012, 05:38 PM
I love comments on the colour. My high school is 95% Asian or so, so pretty much everyone has black/dark brown hair.
One day after school, my friend and I conducted a survey, and we went around asking random people what colour they thought my hair was. It was really funny, especially the people (like the guy I like lol) who said it was turquoise or bright red or whatever haha.

I also do enjoy comments on the length. A lot of people I meet admire the length, and my friends always enjoy torturing me by making comments about cutting it, but it's funny because some days I come to school with my hair in a high ponytail or something that makes it look a lot shorter, and they freak out lol.

The only person who ever notices if I do anything to the length of my hair is my brother's ex-girlfriend, she always noted the condition of the ends and would comment on them if they were recently trimmed. I'm glad it was noticeable lol.
There was also this one guy, he was one of my friends, and he loved my hair, to a point where it really weirded me out. He liked to touch it and commented on it positively a lot, and I didn't mind. He was really sweet, but he switched schools this year.

WaitingSoLong
August 20th, 2012, 07:01 PM
I generally do not like them. A lot of them are something that blurts, without thought, from the mouth of a person who assumes I care what they think. (Ok, so I lack in social skills). But some of them are just...stupid.

But the thing is, I am one who clams up in person when confronted by strangers and because I try to formulate an intelligent response before I speak, I end up saying nothing. I mean, NOTHING. Like...not even a gratuitous remark. A couple of times I have managed to get out "oh". A few other times, when I do actually speak, I am pretty sure it ends up rude. It is rude whether I speak or not and would just be best if people didn't comment. LOL

NOW...things like "your hair is so pretty"...I smile and say thank you. It's the not-compliment comments that are also not questions that I walk away from silently. :
"Your hair is so looonnngggg"
"I bet you use a lot of shampoo"
" Oh my gosh, you have long hair"

stuff like that.

Then there are the questions like this:
"Are you going to donate it to locks of love?" (I have never had anyone TELL me I should donate, btw. I think I would go postal on them)
"Have you EVER had a haircut?" (gee, I must look 12)
"How long have you been growing your hair" (since birth...duh)

To which I never reply much other than the obvious "no" "yes" and "all my life" which isn't mean to be snide but just accurate.

OH and the dreaded "can I see it" (which means...can I touch it) to which I never reply but back away and they still manage to get their hands on it. THAT has only happened twice. :shudder: I am not assertive enough to prevent it, apparently. It just sort of happens before I know what to do.

I actually got my first ever hair-toy compliment/comment not too long ago...amazing since I wear them all the time...and I actually struck up a conversation about the thing with her and showed her how it was done. It must be in the tone, because you could tell she had thought about what to say first and was actually interested and not just acting like my hair was a freak show.

But even people I know, if they say one of those above or similar, I usually just clam up and walk away. It is awkward for me AND them, therefor I just prefer not to get comments.

A couple of times I heard people talking to me but my back was turned and I pretended not to hear. Actually several times now that I think on it, and they are usually persistent to the point I cannot ignore or my dear husband will say "hey, they are talking to you" and I shoot him daggers before turning and saying "pardon?"

Actually, even here on TLHC I don't know how to respond with comments directed towards me. I probably seem rude for not saying thank you and stuff. I do appreciate them, I guess.

I also don't comment on a lot of stuff. Like update photos (I LOVE seeing the anniversary threads) but even though I am sitting here thinking "wow, great growth, her hair is lovely!" I just don't feel the need to say it in a post. Yet ti does happen from time to time.

Ok so I am monologuing (sp) so I am off to work on my social skills.

katfemme89
August 20th, 2012, 07:04 PM
I love comments on my hair. But the one I never understood was "Your hair is long." I'm like yeah, I have mirrors in my house. I mean it's just so weird. It's not really a compliment or an insult. It's like if you went up to someone and go "You have eyes." I just don't like it when people feel the need to state the obvious. So I just usually treat every unsure comment as a compliment and say Thank You.

And I can't really relate to not wanting people to touch my hair. I LOVE it when people touch my hair. Needless to say if they don't ask it's a little startling at first, but anytime anyone touches my hair it gives me delicious goose bumps. And I love touching other people's long hair... I just love hair. It's mesmerizing to me. Anytime I see long hair I just wanna stick my face in it and rub it around LOL! The only time I didn't like someone touching my hair was one time in my senior year of high school, I was walking down the hall back when I had hip length hair, and a black guy grabbed a strand of my hair as I was walking by and I didn't notice until I felt it yank, and it really hurt :( and he goes "Is that a weave?" so I smacked my hair out of his hand and said no and kept walking. How rude to almost pull someone's hair out. WTF?

The only times I've gotten the LoL comments, the person took care not to be rude they just said "Have you thought about donating to LoL or no?" and so I just discussed it with them about how they sell a lot of their wigs, etc. I also let them know that I donate money to St. Jude Children's hospital so that they don't think that I'm a heartless beast. But it still gets old really fast.

I live in the south and it is my experience that people tend to be more polite down here. No one has ever told me that i need to cut my hair. In fact, at my old job when I went from hip length to shoulder, my friend jokingly said "I'm not speaking to you today for cutting all that beautiful hair off" lol.

Rufflebutt
August 20th, 2012, 09:59 PM
I get them so routinely that I can't say I really like or dislike them. I'm just used to them.

Rufflebutt
August 20th, 2012, 10:08 PM
There is one thing that I really dislike though, and that's when people tug on my hair or ask if it's a wig. XP Seriously, even if my hair was a wig what makes you think that it's okay to just go up to someone and tug their wig off? That's incredibly rude.

However, I mainly get "are those extensions" comments. All of the time. It's the number one question that people ask about my hair.

I get a lot of people who tell me that they love my hair. I like those ones a lot. Especially if I just walk in somewhere and someone is like,"omg your hair is pretty!". Usually brightens up my day some.

akilina
August 20th, 2012, 10:22 PM
The only nice comments I get are from my mom, my bf (while in the shower??) and recently, my friend I haven't seen in 2 months or so.
My mom will say things like "Wow its getting long!" Which is encouraging.
And my bf while my hair is sopping wet apparently it looks even longer and he says "woah your hair is really getting long its already to here!"
The newest was my friend in NV, and when she saw me she said "omg!! Your hair is seriously like 3 inches longer than when I last saw you!"

I know its not that much longer but it felt good to hear :]

And one comment...
I
HATE
When people mention locks of love. That place is a crock of crap. And why SHOULD anyone donate their hair? Geez....its not like its selfish at all if you dont. Sure, it might make some people "feel good" but It is YOUR hair, not anyone elses. I can not STAND locks of love comments -___-
Generally, they don't even take half the hair. My old work offered locks of love cuts, and there were people with AWFUL AWFUL hair wanting to donate it. I did not have the heart to tell them though. I simply gave them a baggie, and all the info they needed to ship it off :(

Uhlizubeth
August 20th, 2012, 10:51 PM
I love compliments but it does kind of annoy me when strangers ask how I "get it" in any way such as updos. It's just awkward, what am I suppose to say? Am I supposed to give verbal instructions to them?

Asprettyasme
August 20th, 2012, 11:08 PM
#error

#An error occurred.

HappyHair87
August 20th, 2012, 11:09 PM
I generally do not like them. A lot of them are something that blurts, without thought, from the mouth of a person who assumes I care what they think. (Ok, so I lack in social skills). But some of them are just...stupid.

But the thing is, I am one who clams up in person when confronted by strangers and because I try to formulate an intelligent response before I speak, I end up saying nothing. I mean, NOTHING. Like...not even a gratuitous remark. A couple of times I have managed to get out "oh". A few other times, when I do actually speak, I am pretty sure it ends up rude. It is rude whether I speak or not and would just be best if people didn't comment. LOL

NOW...things like "your hair is so pretty"...I smile and say thank you. It's the not-compliment comments that are also not questions that I walk away from silently. :
"Your hair is so looonnngggg"
"I bet you use a lot of shampoo"
" Oh my gosh, you have long hair"

stuff like that.

Then there are the questions like this:
"Are you going to donate it to locks of love?" (I have never had anyone TELL me I should donate, btw. I think I would go postal on them)
"Have you EVER had a haircut?" (gee, I must look 12)
"How long have you been growing your hair" (since birth...duh)

To which I never reply much other than the obvious "no" "yes" and "all my life" which isn't mean to be snide but just accurate.

OH and the dreaded "can I see it" (which means...can I touch it) to which I never reply but back away and they still manage to get their hands on it. THAT has only happened twice. :shudder: I am not assertive enough to prevent it, apparently. It just sort of happens before I know what to do.

I actually got my first ever hair-toy compliment/comment not too long ago...amazing since I wear them all the time...and I actually struck up a conversation about the thing with her and showed her how it was done. It must be in the tone, because you could tell she had thought about what to say first and was actually interested and not just acting like my hair was a freak show.

But even people I know, if they say one of those above or similar, I usually just clam up and walk away. It is awkward for me AND them, therefor I just prefer not to get comments.

A couple of times I heard people talking to me but my back was turned and I pretended not to hear. Actually several times now that I think on it, and they are usually persistent to the point I cannot ignore or my dear husband will say "hey, they are talking to you" and I shoot him daggers before turning and saying "pardon?"

Actually, even here on TLHC I don't know how to respond with comments directed towards me. I probably seem rude for not saying thank you and stuff. I do appreciate them, I guess.

I also don't comment on a lot of stuff. Like update photos (I LOVE seeing the anniversary threads) but even though I am sitting here thinking "wow, great growth, her hair is lovely!" I just don't feel the need to say it in a post. Yet ti does happen from time to time.

Ok so I am monologuing (sp) so I am off to work on my social skills.

I COMPLETELY understand! I used to be very VERY shy growing up. I always wanted to be able to hold conversations like other people. It didn't get better until i started working retail...speech became somewhat scripted. And then i just took off with it.

A lot of times...i don't know WHAT to say, but i'll just babble and sometimes i am too detailed with my words, i become very wordy. I have a mood disorder as well, so sometimes my emotions are out of control...and it can be an embarrassing thing bc sometimes i can't shut up:(...so i kinda fall back into isolating myself.

(^Babbling:lol:)

But anyway...i think your hair is very beautiful :)

I get a lot of compliments on my hair and stares. Today a girl told me she loved my hair and that she felt like she should follow me around and stare at it...(i was in her store:laugh:) And then...i was told by an old acquaintance that she had a pic of me wearing a weave ponytail, when i never wear weave...i have YEARS ago but not very often at all. When she pulled out the picture...it was very clearly my real, relaxed hair:laugh: It felt good to say "No, that's all mine!":D

trolleypup
August 20th, 2012, 11:38 PM

I found, the way to deal with various comments is to think about the real comments received, and imagine possible other comments, and when you have idle time, think out appropriate responses to ranges of comments so you can reply from memory without having to think or figure it out on the spot.

First, it really helps with your comfort level. Second, it can really help with your own self-confidence. And third, it can gain you a reputation for thinking fast on your feet!

PolarCathy
August 21st, 2012, 12:26 AM
I get comments from time to time on how shiny my hair is. (Must be really shiny because no one compliments to random strangers in Sweden as a rule of thumb. Muhahahhahha.)

I just say thank you and smile big. From my left ear to my right ear.

Except if the comment is anything even remotely like I should cut it and donate. Believe it or not, it happened twice during the last 6 months in this small town with 60.000 people or so. Then I lose my mind and say something like "Go to Hell... NOW." I know, I'm rude.

Truth is, I'm very sensitive to that kind of comments because this is the first time in my life that I'm approaching waist (discounting when I was 7 yo). I won't give it away.

Sarahlabyrinth
August 21st, 2012, 12:31 AM
I love nice comments. Even nasty ones mean that people have noticed something. But nice comments are welcome!

Shanny911
August 21st, 2012, 12:35 AM
I love when people are fascinated about my all natural hair care! I love to share my stories and reciepes. However I get extremely annoyed when my friend bugs me to cut my hair short and dye it blonde!! Im naturally a brown haired gal...any form of bleach will turn my hair into straw! Lol. Nice comments always make my day though. It's nice to know Ur hair care routine is working! (:

Venefica
August 21st, 2012, 12:38 AM
I like compliments on my hair, and I do not mind comments on it being long or questions about it. I do not like the oh so when are you going to cut it all off types of question that is just rude, but polite, friendly comments I welcome those. I have chosen to have an unusual hair style so I have to accept some questions.

Katleen
August 21st, 2012, 01:51 AM
I sometimes get compliments at work for my updo's, I try to experiment with them with varying results :-)

The biggest compliment came from my mom this weekend. She has been pushing me to cut my hair into a chinlength straightened bob for most of my life, and she suddenly told me she forwarded me a link to a site with different braids that would look good on me.
First time she seems to accept the fact that I have long hair :-)

Lunadriael
August 21st, 2012, 02:01 AM
I barely if ever get comments on my hair, so it's nice if someone notices. Anything negative generally makes me feel bad about myself, so I don't really welcome it (people should keep those sorts of thoughts to themselves to be honest), but one time I put a picture of myself up on facebook and someone commented that my hair was looking really long. That totally made my day. ^-^ I don't find it that long, but it's nice someone noticed a change.

I did have a comment the other day from a friend who was visiting with his gf, and he gestured to my hair and told her, 'oh that's a nice length, why don't you grow yours out to that length.' I just felt kind of bad for her. Her hair is APL and mine isn't a great deal longer, but still, maybe she likes her hair as it is, or maybe she doesn't. You can't tell your woman that she should have her hair like someone else you know. That was awkward. I guess men are sometimes tactless...

4C4rly4
August 21st, 2012, 02:14 AM
I love getting nice comments about my hair! I also like getting nice comments in general. :D

WaitingSoLong
August 21st, 2012, 05:42 AM
I found, the way to deal with various comments is to think about the real comments received, and imagine possible other comments, and when you have idle time, think out appropriate responses to ranges of comments so you can reply from memory without having to think or figure it out on the spot.

First, it really helps with your comfort level. Second, it can really help with your own self-confidence. And third, it can gain you a reputation for thinking fast on your feet!

I think the last two comments I received were unprecidented.
We were at a German Music...gathering for lack of better terms...and sitting in lawn chairs listening to the band and this old lady walks up to me, grabs my braid (it was hanging over the back of the chair in a paranda) and said "I remember when I had a long braid...(pause)...I cut it off when I was 13" then she drops my braid and walks away.

I was speechless. I looked over at DH...like...what exactly did that mean? I honestly could not tell if she was reminescing (sp) and fond of my braid or insinuating only children have hair like that. At any rate, I was dumbfounded by the fact SHE PICKED UP MY HAIR without asking...I just literally froze and I never did say a word. Not even a sigh. I am so inept. I know people want to give old ladies the benefit of the doubt but...I just don't know.

The second, we were in a grocery store checking out and I had my hair loose and the clerk asked me "So, doesn't your hair get on your nerves?" and I immediately replied "YES it does" because I was really hating my hair that day (which is how I usually feel when it is loose) and we proceeded to talk about her mom's long hair and how she hates it but won't cut it and I could empathize because I am chicken to cut mine, too.

There have been many other "hair comment" threads on here and I have tried to memorize pat answers for certain repetitive questions and I think I do, but when actually confronted it all goes out the window.:knuckle: Think "deer in headlights". I just loose my mind or something. LOL. I never know when someone will comment.

millyaulait
August 21st, 2012, 07:20 AM
I think it's sweet when people compliment my hair. I get comments about it being shiny & glossy, and that it's a nice colour. :)

The comments from my DBF? Not so much... :(

Rocket22
August 21st, 2012, 08:04 AM
I was just wondering this the other day. I assume people with nice hair ALWAYS get compliments ? I will compliment them anyways because I'm such a hair person. I must be doing something wrong because I next to never get compliments :( even when I had extensions nothing... not even are "those extensions" guess Im the only hair crazy person in my area :)

blondie9912
August 21st, 2012, 08:55 AM
I love getting comments on my hair. Last year, when I cut it to APL (and it wasn't even a super healthy, nice APL), had awful colour, and lost nearly half of my thickness due to bleaching, I felt like my hair was SO ugly. Now, my hair is starting to look a lot better, so I love getting the "Your hairs getting long!" or "It seems lighter today" comments, because it makes me feel as though my hair is worth looking at now. Last year, I honestly was a step away from shaving it, so this is a welcome change :)

SongofLove
August 21st, 2012, 09:07 AM
For the most part, I really don't like comments on my hair because they make me feel awkward.

There's one kind of comment in particular that is really awkward, which is when someone sees my hair down and says "I thought your hair was a lot longer than that. Did you cut it?". Then I say "no, it's not...I didn't cut it." Then I feel sad :D This happened twice -- one from a teacher and one from a student of mine (both male).

spirals
August 21st, 2012, 09:25 AM
I love when people are fascinated about my all natural hair care! I love to share my stories and reciepes. However I get extremely annoyed when my friend bugs me to cut my hair short and dye it blonde!! Im naturally a brown haired gal...any form of bleach will turn my hair into straw! Lol. Nice comments always make my day though. It's nice to know Ur hair care routine is working! (:I really don't know why anyone thinks you should cut or bleach it. It is gorgeous. Jealousy, maybe? Women express it in weird ways, often criticism. I've posted the story of my old roomie.

SongofLove, maybe when you take it down it has bun or braid waves and looks shorter. People ask me, too, on humid days when I have more shrinkage. Plus, my friends know me as the one who futzes with her layers a lot, so they assume I've cut again, as I'm just now stopping the cutting every other month.

RubySlippers
August 21st, 2012, 09:47 AM
I think if ever my hair is long enough that some one actually suggests the lock of love thing I'll probably go all passive aggressive. In my imagination it goes like this :

Them: blah blah, donate LoL blah
Me: (sweetly) oh, are you involved with LoL, or are you growing to donate yourself?
Them: no my hair isn't long enough, but yours is
Me: we'll, you know, if you really think LoL is a good cause worth supporting then you could grow your hair to donate
Them: oh, it doesn't grow
Me: (amazed) at all!??
Them: no.
Me: wow, you don't cut it and it just stays that length! That's unusual
Them: no! I cut it
Me: oh, we'll then it does grow, you're just not growing it. I really think that if you feel strongly enough about LoL to suggest to someone else that theY should cut their hair, the least you could do would be to grow your own.
Them: ---

And scene.

HappyHair87
August 21st, 2012, 10:08 AM
I think if ever my hair is long enough that some one actually suggests the lock of love thing I'll probably go all passive aggressive. In my imagination it goes like this :

Me: (sweetly) oh, are you involved with LoL, or are you growing to donate yourself?
Me: we'll, you know, if you really think LoL is a good cause worth supporting then you could grow your hair to donate
Me: oh, we'll then it does grow, you're just not growing it. I really think that if you feel strongly enough about LoL to suggest to someone else that theY should cut their hair, the least you could do would be to grow your own.

And scene.

*screams with laughter!!!*:laugh: I love it!!! That is so eye opening for me how you guys are pressured to cut your hair and donate it. In the Black community, it's almost a sin to cut your hair if its long...for ANY reason bc of the myth that black hair doesn't grow.

katfemme89
August 21st, 2012, 11:14 AM
For the most part, I really don't like comments on my hair because they make me feel awkward.

There's one kind of comment in particular that is really awkward, which is when someone sees my hair down and says "I thought your hair was a lot longer than that. Did you cut it?". Then I say "no, it's not...I didn't cut it." Then I feel sad :D This happened twice -- one from a teacher and one from a student of mine (both male).

I've had that happen. I think it's because our hair is thick, so when it's in an updo, it looks like there's a TON of hair there, and people automatically assume length rather than thickness. I think that's what happens.

jacqueline101
August 21st, 2012, 11:25 AM
I've never been told my hair looks bad.

PrettyFit
August 21st, 2012, 02:35 PM
I always get told I have "movie star" hair. That phrase seems to be contagious, I hear it often. I like the compliments, I put up with the old ladies touching it, but I absolutely hate being asked if I have extensions. Just because my hair is thick does not mean I have extensions !!! Irks me.

You hair IS extraordinary! How do you curl it? Do you have color?

I used to get accused of having extensions all the time when my hair was longer! I hated it! When I was in school, people would actually ask to touch my hair, then try to feel the roots for tracks on a regular basis. People would start roomers, say that they saw/felt tracks in my hair... stuff like that. I used to resent having hair that drew so much attention and I eventually shaved it all off. What's funny is that it really wasn't all that long by LHC standards, but it was long compared to others in that setting.

Now I get zero accusations of having extensions! I will be very happy when people start assuming that my hair is fake again :D

CurlyCurves
August 25th, 2012, 12:51 PM
I crave comments on my hair. I put a lot of effort and love into it and love nothing more for people to notice. The best is when customers at work notice, which isn't often, but when it happens, it makes my day. I had a tourist the other day go apesh*t over my hair and I couldn't stop smiling.

CurlyCurves
August 25th, 2012, 12:54 PM

And scene.

LOVE this :laugh:

long&blonde
August 25th, 2012, 01:50 PM
It's funny because otherwise, I don't like appearance compliments:they make me feel self conscious and awkward: But hair compliments? Bring them on! I could never hear enough. Lol.