PDA

View Full Version : How did you fix YOUR shedding?

Yame
September 29th, 2011, 09:12 PM
I want stories from people who used to shed a lot, but figured out how to decrease it. I imagine different people have different experiences, being that excessive shedding can be caused by a number of different things, so I'd like to hear about as many experiences as possible.

My hair has shed a lot since I can remember, but I'd like to figure out a way to get it to shed less. I wanted to create this thread for inspiration. There is no need to give me advice, I want real experiences/testimonials.

So, tell me YOUR story.

Yame
September 30th, 2011, 05:50 AM
Whoa whoa, I guess no one has been able to reduce their shedding? :confused:

MsBubbles
September 30th, 2011, 06:53 AM
I used to shed around 50-60 hairs daily with each C-W-C wash. Then I shed the same amount, but less often when I stretch my C-W-C wash to every other day (gasp!). So I cut it in half then. And then I started scalp washes and didn't need/use conditioner. My hairwash sheds were reduced to around 15-20 hairs. My hemline thickened up nicely.

Then I totally lost my mind earlier this year and rebelled against taking all my supplements AND thyroid meds...and have been going through a medical-problem shed for 6 weeks :(. I don't think there's anything I can do about this one but ride it out.

I tried taking MSM to stop the shedding, as some people have claimed it did with them, but the MSM made me sick so I had to give that idea up. :rolleyes:

But for me the best anti-shedding remedy is: take all my pills like clockwork, and continue with scalp-washes. :)

Great question! I look forward to reading others' replies.

Friesian Rider
September 30th, 2011, 07:02 AM
Started taking iron 28mg once a day and MSM that is in joint supplements. I used to shed a squirrel because I only wash my hair once a week and never comb or brush in between. It took at least 8 months to really notice the difference. Now my shed is about 50 hairs, which still looks like a pile since it is so long :rolleyes:.

annieangel149
September 30th, 2011, 07:07 AM
well....i have just noticed slight shedding in the last few weeks! Im treating my hair even more gently than i usually do!
1) using a comb instead of a brush is helping for me! ( im noticing less hairs coming out than with brushing).
2) only finger combing it when its wet and then using a comb when it is almost dry
3) wearing it up more
4) and im planning on buying a satin pillow case!

i too, am thinking i might start stretching my washes

YepLilly
September 30th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Good thread! I'm currently trying to stop some shedding so I don't have exact answers yet. Blood tests came back ok, so thyroid problems and such are ruled out.

I've noticed that every time I do a strong protein treatment the shedding stops. Which is weird, because I know lack of protein causes breakage, not shedding (and I'm sure in my case it's shedding, not breakage). I guess protein treatments make my hair temporarily stronger so it doesn't feel the necessity of leaving my head so soon? lol

I've been taking Biotin for a couple months now. It has made my already strong nails stronger and whiter. I don't think it has made a difference on my hair though, at least not yet.

I started taking MSM a few days ago, let's see how it goes. I also started doing Castor Oil treatments on my scalp, but stopped for a while since I'm trying so many things at once, but I will return to them soon.

ingvild
September 30th, 2011, 10:10 AM
I thought I naturally shed up to 100 strands a day, for a long time, but then it suddenly got much worse and I pondered this for a while. Waiting it out didn't seem to help, and I found out that my scalp was the problem and I (probably?) had dandruff (fungal). So I got an anti-fungal shampoo at the pharmacy and used it every 4 days for a month and since then I've been at around 30-40 a day.

Another thing that helped my scalp was doing scalp treatments with garlic (a few cloves crushed in EVOO, let the olive oil get really garlicy for about an hour and then massage into scalp and leave for as long as you stand), which is (as far as I know) anti-fungal and anti-bacterial and lots of good stuff! Unfortunately, the smell was just too much to handle (and I love garlic). But it worked well. :)

Since then I have not used shampoos with sulfates. My scalp was the happiest with shampoo bar, but I'm switching around a bit.

Sundial
September 30th, 2011, 10:19 AM
Mine was in the following order, each stage led to a further reduction in shedding:

1. Cutting out sulfates and cones, and switching to products containing natural ingredients. I didn't realize that the itching on my scalp was due to eczema and a sensitive scalp. Cutting out chemical products led to a reduction in flareups and shedding.

2. After switching to natural products, my shedding decreased noticeably but I still felt like I was shedding more than I should. After surfing through old threads and articles, I realized that I could be deficient in iron (some of the signs seem to match up to mine). I started taking an iron supplement and after a period of time, my shedding reduced further.

Not quite shedding, but switching to a wide tooth comb and combing gently from bottom to top had also reduced hair fall due to rough handling.

WaitingSoLong
September 30th, 2011, 10:22 AM
Don't brush more than twice a day.
Use Tangle Teaser.
Be Gentle.

But I guess these are more for ripping out hair than natural shedding.

My shedding varies by the time of year with fall being worst.

krissykins
September 30th, 2011, 11:26 AM
I visited my doctor, who advised me that I had an iron deficiency. So I started eating more steak and taking iron supplements :p

celebriangel
September 30th, 2011, 11:29 AM
I have found that taking MSM supplements has decreased my shed.

tinywife
September 30th, 2011, 11:45 AM
I shed less when I use prenatal vitamins, biotin, and rooibos tea spray.

Rosake
September 30th, 2011, 12:09 PM
Well I don't understand. I never shed but since I went shampoo free I have a lot more hair loss ! Which doesn't make sense to me and it's a little scary. Maybe because wash my hair twice a week and hardly brush? I do use baking soda but it seems that most people shed less from that than from shampoo, and I use a very small amount.

I have heard about curry leaves (indian spice) to prevent hair loss, maybe if you're interested in Ayurvedic remedies, you can check this out: http://www.ayurvedictalk.com/get-rid-off-dandruff-hair-loss-or-premature-graying/59/. I don't have experience with it but I personally would like to try it out.

Red Rapunzel
September 30th, 2011, 12:18 PM
Reduced stress greatly, am eating good food prepared at home, and sleeping more. Stress reduction can make a difference!

eshta
September 30th, 2011, 12:37 PM
I suddenly shed a whole lot less, almost nothing compared to my normal shedding. The amount always scared DBF, he's amazed I have any hair left on my head :)
I thought it was the change in seasons, but I've also been drinking more rooibos thea for the past two weeks hoping for some extra growth. Maybe it has a nice side effect?

rock007junkie
October 20th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I alot of people swear by Rosemary tea as well as Black tea rinses. Both have been reported to stop shedding. I'm starting this experiment as well this week.

CurlyMopTop
October 20th, 2011, 09:12 AM
YepLilly I went through a bought of shedding this year too. It took me a while to figure out that my hair was overmoisturized and somehow I think that caused the shedding. It stopped immediately after a good protein treatment. I've learned that I have to incorporate the protein treatments to my regimine regularly or my hair becomes overmoisturized and the shedding starts again. I have not been able to figure out a way that works for my hair to keep it from getting overmoisturized. It's a work in progress I guess. ;)

Yame
October 20th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I alot of people swear by Rosemary tea as well as Black tea rinses. Both have been reported to stop shedding. I'm starting this experiment as well this week.

Can you let me know how it works? Also let me know if you get any darkening from it. If you post a blog or new thread on your experiment, be sure to link it here!

Roscata
October 20th, 2011, 11:12 AM
The one and only thing that has given me a real result is Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil. The difference is dramatic.

I've been trying for a year to minimize my shedding, this is what I've attempted and their results:

- overnight Castor scalp oiling (50% Castor oil/50% EVOO), it made me shed (more) hair (than usual) while putting it in (because of... see next line)
- scalp massages, made my hair shed more
- SLS free shampoo, less shedding than SLS shampoo
- shampoo bar, less shedding than SLS shampoo
- CO less shedding at first, then back to normal (possibly because of Suave, some say it makes them shed more)
- overnight coconut scalp oiling, made me shed while putting it on
- black tea applied to roots (daily) no noticeable change

Yame
October 20th, 2011, 11:53 AM
The one and only thing that has given me a real result is Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil. The difference is dramatic.

I've been trying for a year to minimize my shedding, this is what I've attempted and their results:

- overnight Castor scalp oiling (50% Castor oil/50% EVOO), it made me shed (more) hair (than usual) while putting it in (because of... see next line)
- scalp massages, made my hair shed more
- SLS free shampoo, less shedding than SLS shampoo
- shampoo bar, less shedding than SLS shampoo
- CO less shedding at first, then back to normal (possibly because of Suave, some say it makes them shed more)
- overnight coconut scalp oiling, made me shed while putting it on
- black tea applied to roots (daily) no noticeable change

Can you tell us more about the oil that worked?

Roscata
October 20th, 2011, 12:07 PM
Can you tell us more about the oil that worked?

Yes!

I use it as an overnight pre-wash scalp oiling. After the first time I used it my shedding decreased noticeably, by the second use I was shedding half as much as I was initially and after the third use I was shedding about 25% of my old shedding rate. My main problem has always been how much I shed during washing so that's the one I notice the most. But even daily shedding is low, I went from 100-150 hairs per day to about 10-30 hairs per day.

Things to note: the smell is truly potent and in my opinion not pleasant at all, it does make my scalp tingle a bit in a nice way and gives it a nice cooling sensation.

Here are some journal updates marking my experience so far:

Wed.10.05.11 8:28am
In other news I've been using black tea as I mentioned before to decrease shedding. I'm not sure if that's working or it's the change in conditioner, but I'm hoping it helps. I also ordered Neelibhringadi oil for Hair Loss and Hair Fall which someone on LHC said it made her hair loss decrease dramatically (from 250 hairs per day to 10-40 hairs per day! link to that thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34344)). I will be using that in stead of black tea, because I'm genuinely scared of my shedding at this point.

Wed.10.12.11
Well the oil has arrived and (as I type this) it is on my scalp. I must say it smells pretty bad, but it gives me a cooling sensation which is nice. So apparently I have to use it overnight, every other day for 1-6 months to see results. This worries me because I lose hair during scalp massages, that is probably the main reason I lose so much hair when I wash it. I guess it would be worth it in the long run if it means I will restore my hair to its old glory.

The black tea didn't show and results for me but I started Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil pre-wash overnight oiling. This oil is amazing after just one time I could notice diminished shedding and after the second time more than half the shedding stopped. I'm in total love with this oil. I'm really excited.

Mon.10.17.11
The Oil is working wonderfully! I'm so happy with the results. My hair is shedding at a reasonable rate. I would guestimate it is shedding 4 times less than usual and I've used it 3 times thus far. I am definitely using it from now on. I'm so happy with it I want to do the happy dance lol.

Yame
October 20th, 2011, 01:50 PM
I wonder if it would work with just weekly use?

knoxkatie
October 20th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Yes!

I use it as an overnight pre-wash scalp oiling. After the first time I used it my shedding decreased noticeably, by the second use I was shedding half as much as I was initially and after the third use I was shedding about 25% of my old shedding rate. My main problem has always been how much I shed during washing so that's the one I notice the most. But even daily shedding is low, I went from 100-150 hairs per day to about 10-30 hairs per day.

Things to note: the smell is truly potent and in my opinion not pleasant at all, it does make my scalp tingle a bit in a nice way and gives it a nice cooling sensation.

Here are some journal updates marking my experience so far:

Wed.10.05.11 8:28am
In other news I've been using black tea as I mentioned before to decrease shedding. I'm not sure if that's working or it's the change in conditioner, but I'm hoping it helps. I also ordered Neelibhringadi oil for Hair Loss and Hair Fall which someone on LHC said it made her hair loss decrease dramatically (from 250 hairs per day to 10-40 hairs per day! link to that thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=34344)). I will be using that in stead of black tea, because I'm genuinely scared of my shedding at this point.

Wed.10.12.11
Well the oil has arrived and (as I type this) it is on my scalp. I must say it smells pretty bad, but it gives me a cooling sensation which is nice. So apparently I have to use it overnight, every other day for 1-6 months to see results. This worries me because I lose hair during scalp massages, that is probably the main reason I lose so much hair when I wash it. I guess it would be worth it in the long run if it means I will restore my hair to its old glory.

The black tea didn't show and results for me but I started Neelibhringadi Ayurvedic Hair Oil pre-wash overnight oiling. This oil is amazing after just one time I could notice diminished shedding and after the second time more than half the shedding stopped. I'm in total love with this oil. I'm really excited.

Mon.10.17.11
The Oil is working wonderfully! I'm so happy with the results. My hair is shedding at a reasonable rate. I would guestimate it is shedding 4 times less than usual and I've used it 3 times thus far. I am definitely using it from now on. I'm so happy with it I want to do the happy dance lol.

Thank you for this! I just ordered some. Kind of impulsive but I have been shedding SO much lately I will try anything. I'll post my results after I use it a few times. Wish me luck :)

curlytiff27
October 20th, 2011, 02:27 PM
Well...I was going through a shed related to stress recently. So I thought Castor oil or oiling and massages in general would help...for ME...wrong! I ended up shedding 150+ hairs a DAY. Althought this is normal for some...its not for me really. So I tried non SLS shampoos...didn't help either. I ended up going back to my normal gental sls shampoo which is for shedding/thinning (Apivita propoline tonic in which I add sea kelp bioferiment aka SKB to it) and I spray my scalp with aloe vera juice and some skb added in it. my shedding yesterday was down to 50 and today was down to 38!! Talk about excited!! I don't wash my hair daily for the last 2 years since joining lhc and that has helped along with MSM and biotin/vitamin supps too.

Roscata
October 20th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Thank you for this! I just ordered some. Kind of impulsive but I have been shedding SO much lately I will try anything. I'll post my results after I use it a few times. Wish me luck :)

Good luck! I hope it works for you as well as it has for me. :)

Roscata
October 20th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I wonder if it would work with just weekly use?

*shurg* I don't know. I use is about twice per week. I also added it (20-30 drops) to my rooibos tea (in a mister bottle) and spray my roots with it every day.

Yame
October 20th, 2011, 10:34 PM
I might give this a shot. It sounds like you had the same problem I have, which is shedding massively whenever I "massage" my scalp (oiling, washing, anything). I'll read more about it in the coming days/weeks to check if it really might be for me.
Thanks for sharing!

Audrey Horne
October 21st, 2011, 06:43 AM
I tried black tea but had to discontinue because it left my scalp so nasty and made my hair dry. I shed less since giving up cones. ATM I have a fall :( No idea why... maybe it's just seasonal because nothing seem to work... :sigh: I hope I won't become bald.

some other observations:
-CO. I used to shed like crazy when I've just started, then it decreased. But It could increase again if I didn't CO for awhile. Somewhat confusing!
-SLS. Can't say because I use SLS shampoos only to clarify which doesn't happen often.
-castor oil. It resulted in many baby hairs but at the same time I had some minor fall at the beginning.
-stretching washes. Isn't a big success for me, it can lead to extra shedding (for me).
-henna&co. Made my hair stronger and decreased shedding when I used it relatively often.
-vitamines. I shed somewhat more without them, so I take them religiously.
-proteins. My hair loves them! If used at the right moment - great results for me!

I try to think of other things but it doesn't come to my mind. I'd say that henna and cassia made a huge difference for me.

evb
November 2nd, 2011, 06:48 AM
Wow okay I cannot imagine counting my hairs being shed so how do you measure your shedding rate so that you can say this is helping or making it worse. I have been here for less than a week but popped in several times for a year or more to peak in for inspiration and I have not seen this addressed.

All I know is when I get out of the shower my entire chest seems covered with hairs no longer attached to my head. Since my hair is dark and my skin kinda fair I totally notice it as brush off my chest. Also a lot of hair on my bathroom floor or shower stall :( But I certainly am not masochistic enough to count them!!!

I don't notice any shedding during brushing or combing. For the record I am talking brushing instead of combing pre joining up not with a bbb Maybe a few when I take out my pony tail holder due to not being careful [pulling vs shedding?] Currently am doing the CWC with Tres Somme which my husband purchased for the daughter who refuses to use it. As long as the shampoo says moisturizing or hydrating I am happy to use it :">

evb
November 2nd, 2011, 06:56 AM
OH I tend to digress a lot ... the pertinent part kinda got lost in all the extras

How do you measure your shedding rate so that you can figure out what improves or hurts it? I keep seeing X# hairs.... really you count?

jojo
November 2nd, 2011, 08:20 AM
I hardly shed anything at all and I am sure its to do with the garlic i eat! I eat quite a lot of the stuff but probably lose say 10 hairs if that a day!

Avital88
November 2nd, 2011, 08:22 AM
supplements and good sleep and nutrition are the key.. bad nutrition and stress are shedtriggers

Amber_Maiden
November 2nd, 2011, 09:58 AM
I'm really interested to read what people say about this... I've been shedding loads lately...

Tsopana
November 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM
My dermatologist told me to wash my hair as soon as it gets oily (my scalp, that is), because too much sebum clogs the hair follicles and causes shedding..

I also shed like crazy when I have low iron and ferritin, even if it is a teeny bit over the lowest normal level..

CarpeDM
November 2nd, 2011, 11:42 AM
Rooibos tea (externally on the scalp and drinking a cup a day) has been helping me with my shedding.

Anywhere
November 2nd, 2011, 06:12 PM
going WO on my scalp and shampooing once a week instead of always COing my scalp has greatly improved the losses. I think it has a lot to do with massaging my scalp for WO though.

Diamond.Eyes
November 2nd, 2011, 08:08 PM
The only brush I use now is my Tangle Teezer and I also don't wear my hair up as often as I used to. I have stopped using heatless curling methods that call for any sort of hair bending or manipulation. I found that these curling methods really made me lose a lot more hair than I usually would on a daily basis. Silicone laden conditioners, rooibos tea, and ACV rinses have also helped me tremendously with any sort of shedding problem that I had. :)