PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to trim shoulder length(ish) hair myself?

irishlady
September 29th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Hello everyone :)

In July, I cut my BSL hair to neck length, a couple of centimeters above shoulder, due to shedding. It's now brushing my shoulders.

The shedding appears to have stopped, so I want to continue on to my goal of somewhere around hip-tail bone length.

However, I have very irritating fringe/bangs that I am trying to get rid of. I have already gotten rid of my layers, it's just the silly fringe now.

It's somewhere around my cheekbones now, maybe slightly below, so I was thinking of trimming my hair to around chin length or slightly longer than that, to give it less of a distance to grow until it's the length of the rest of my hair, while trimming my hair every now and then until the fringe catches up.

Do you think this is a good idea?

Now I am aware of Feye's Self Trim method, and have used it when my hair was longer, but now that it's shorter I'm not sure if it'll work. Could it? Or is there another way I can trim my hair myself at this length?
Or should I really just go the stylist?

Thanks in advance all :)

jaine
September 29th, 2011, 07:09 PM
I don't think it's a good idea, personally... no matter how good you think you are with scissors there will always be that nagging thought in the back of your mind "is it even? did I miss a spot?" tempting you to get out the scissors again and "fix" it. Trust me I know - I cut my hair for 10 years. A professional can do it once and it will be 100% even. But when I cut my own hair I went back over it so many times trying to get it even, I never got past shoulder length at all in 10 years.

irishlady
September 29th, 2011, 07:15 PM
Hmm yeah I suppose you're right :)I remember when I did trim it myself, being all nervous every time, not good.

luluj
September 29th, 2011, 07:17 PM
I'm going to agree with jaine and suggest that you go to a professional. I am just a bit past APL and have just made the decision to trim off a healthy 3 inches and I will definitely get a pro to do it for me.

irishlady
September 29th, 2011, 07:40 PM
I'm going to agree with jaine and suggest that you go to a professional. I am just a bit past APL and have just made the decision to trim off a healthy 3 inches and I will definitely get a pro to do it for me.

Ok :)...Thanks, a professional trim it'll be then.

MandyBeth
September 29th, 2011, 07:58 PM
At shoulder, I can't get the ponytail right to start with, so I'd get an upside down V instead of a blunt hemline. Pro for me for a while.