PDA

View Full Version : Losing six inches made me cry.

UnderdarkQueen
September 29th, 2011, 05:20 PM
Two days ago I lost six inches of my hair.
I told her again and again I didn't want to do it, that I would cry, and I was more than willing to search and destroy all the split ends.
My best friend went with her to take off three inches.
I'll admit my hair was damaged, the last time I had a hair cut before that was probably 4 years ago.
But holy ****, I cried.
:( Is it bad that I cried for about half an hour, and I miss those six inches?
It was officially long enough to touch the upper hem of my panties, without even tugging on the waves, and now it's just past bra strap...
And thinking about the progress I've lost makes me sad again.
I went sulfate free, search and destroy every day, got my hair toys and loved them...
And I can agree that hair doesn't make the person but...
Why do I feel less... right?

ellen732
September 29th, 2011, 05:35 PM
I've been sad at having too many inches cut. I worked in a salon and a coworker took more off than I was willing, and I remember her saying afterwords, "but it's still long", to her maybe but not to me. Don't worry, after a few days you forget about it and you start saying instead, "wow, my hair looks so healthy". :D

Jinglelocks
September 29th, 2011, 05:39 PM
Aww, I'm sorry you cried UnderdarkQueen. (hugs) You said your hair was damaged? If that's the case then it is a good thing you got a cut - your hair was probably unhappy with all those split ends. To comfort you let me tell you a few truths: 1.) your hair probably looks very nice right now, 2.) your hair will grow back (and you can do even better maintenance this time) and 3.) it's normal to feel sad when you make a change in your life, even one like cutting your hair.

julierockhead
September 29th, 2011, 05:42 PM
Well, don't go to that hairdresser and never take your "best friend" with you again.

That said, now you can baby your new ends. Treat yourself to some new scalp oil that encourages growth, like castor oil or one of the Indian oils with herbs. You still have plenty of length for hairtoys, so maybe join a "put you hair up for a month/year" threads. Join a BSL to waist thread.

And remember, there are plenty of people here who are working very hard to get their hair to BSL!

Cowgirl16
September 29th, 2011, 05:49 PM
I am so sorry that this happened to you :flower: I had a similar experience, I went from tailbone to BSL :( At first I was REALLY upset, but after time I realized how damaged my hair had been and how healthy it was after the cut, I got all that length back in a year. Good luck on your growth :D

cowgirllong
September 29th, 2011, 05:50 PM
That is a lot of length to lose. I accidentally cut that much once. I could only blame myself since I was wielding the scissors. I think I would have cried, too.:(

But, now the damage is done. You still have your beautiful hair toys. And you can take excellent care of your 'new' ends while they get longer.

Mesmerise
September 29th, 2011, 05:57 PM
So, you were willing to S&D and baby your ends and do all that, so what made you go and get a cut?? Next time, DO NOT bow into pressure like that!

Now, you probably DID need a cut, but I'm sure 1-2" would have made your ends look heaps better without losing so much hair. I understand how heartbroken you are over losing those 6" though, and it will feel super short compared to what it was. I always regret losing lots of hair length too.

However, you WILL adapt to it, and I'm sure your hair looks heaps better now after the cut.

Red Rapunzel
September 29th, 2011, 06:01 PM
No, you're not wrong to cry over your 6-inch loss. I cried bitterly over my 4-inch loss which happened in a similar way when I had just begun growing my hair out. My hair had been in good condition without damage, but the stylist just kept cutting. I was devastated like you. The way I eventually handled it was I started wearing my hair up a lot - that way I couldn't notice the loss of length on my skin. Putting your hair up now may help you better deal with the loss of length since it won't be apparent when your hair is up. Now my hair is classic length - so keep the faith - yours will grow much longer and being 20, your hair likely grows much faster than mine! Enjoy getting there!

Quetiepi
September 29th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Don't be sad, I'm sure your hemline looks really good right now. That's important, too! Maybe you could post a picture, we love pictures! Hugs!

spidermom
September 29th, 2011, 07:20 PM
I'm a little different; I don't get sentimental over hair. Once ends get damaged and I have to fight with them, I want them gone, and I don't care how many inches it takes. That doesn't mean that I don't miss the length, like happened when I cut from split-to-pieces and tangly as hel classic length to hip length, but I know my hair will continue to grow, and I will get the length back and hopefully in better condition next time. Remember, it's not progress to hold onto badly damaged ends.

Dry your eyes and enjoy your fresh ends. Take good care of them; they're your future very long hairs.

swearnsue
September 29th, 2011, 07:42 PM
I bet your hair looks really good, post some pictures if you can! Treat yourself to a new hair toy or conditioner! I don't blame you for crying though, it can be traumatic.

KrissyKitty
September 29th, 2011, 07:52 PM
I understand how devastating it can feel to lose length! I think that for many of us, as our hair grows, the length because part of how we identify ourselves. You picture yourself in your head with all the length, and when it is suddenly gone, your image of yourself no longer matches with reality. It can be a shock, especially if it wasn't something that you wanted.

I had my hair cut from BSL to a very short pixie (the sides and back were buzzed- the longest parts were maybe 3/4 of an inch). I didn't cry, but I kept reaching up to take my hair out of a bun, and forgetting that it was short now, not just up. I comforted myself by telling myself that by tomorrow, my hair will be a teeny bit longer. Somehow, reminding myself that it was starting to grow right now helped somehow. Don't worry, your hair is growing as you read this! You'll be back to the length you want faster than you think.

Jennithefirst
September 29th, 2011, 08:01 PM
Awww, there's definitely nothing wrong with crying over your lost length. I had a very similar situation about a year & a half ago. My ends were badly damaged, so I wound up having 9 inches taken off. Seeing the actual hair taken off, it didn't look as bad. When I actually saw my hair afterward, it looked so much healthier... but shorter! I cried for almost an hour, then off & on the rest of the evening. It took a couple days, but the shock wore off & I was able to focus on how healthy my hair looked. I'm sure you'll get to that point soon too :)

Don't be hard on yourself for being upset. {Hugs} It might take a few days, but you'll get used to the shorter hair. Take the best care of your ends that you can now, & before you know it, your length will have grown back beautifully.

Swan 92
September 29th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Don't feel bad for crying. :(

I've cried over my hair too.

Once my mother talked me into dying my hair an awful orange-ish strawberry blonde that washed me out. I cried a good hour after that and covered my head until I dyed it back to it's original color a month later.

Heck I've even cried over my thick eyebrows (a la Brooke shields/Jennifer connelly) being waxed too thin.

It might take a while but your hair will be back to it's original length but next time much healthier. :)

Yame
September 29th, 2011, 09:22 PM
I'd cry, too. But now, take it as a lesson. Don't go to the hairdresser again, trim your hair yourself. It's still long enough for that :)

Lostsoule77
September 29th, 2011, 09:45 PM
If you felt like crying then no it's not bad. Missing six inches of hair sounds about right too. Just remember that it probably needed some of that taken off anyway. Look at how healthy your hair looks now. Enjoy putting it up in simple styles that you can't with longer hair. Take this chance to grow your hair healthier. In no time you'll be enjoying your hair on it's journey back down your back. :)

Cassie 123
September 29th, 2011, 11:39 PM
Sometimes when life gets complicated, it is good to have something simple and clear to cry about. Crying is healthy; it's like a release valve when we are feeling too much stress.

Enjoy your new healthy thick ends. One year from today, your hair will be back to the old length, but this time it will be looking gorgeous.

Debra83
September 29th, 2011, 11:50 PM
Aw! Big hug! Never had it happen to me, and I'm not one for tears at all, but I bet I would tear up after losing that length. I'm struggling right now because I think my hair needs a trim, and the hairdresser that trimmed it last time for me is off recovering from tearing something in her leg for a few months....do I try and replace her? She actually microtrimmed for me.

WinterButterfly
September 29th, 2011, 11:51 PM
I would have cried too. Even if it was needed. But time will pass and your hair will grow. And you are startin with fresh ends. So those new ends have a good chance to stay healthy and happy for your hair journy. Don't worry. It will be alright. Everything will be ok in a couple of days. You'll see. :)

Fufu
September 30th, 2011, 02:24 AM
Cheer up, please don't cry.

Look the positive side, now the damaged hairs are gone, look forward to your new beautiful hair. Hair grows :) In no time, you will gain back the length again.

I cut my BSL hair length to collar length before due to the damage, and my hair length now has reached BSL+, growing towards waist.

bbvt
September 30th, 2011, 02:32 AM
It's okay!! I cried when I got a trim before because even though nobody else could tell, I could, and that's what was important to me. Eventually I think you'll get used to it and at least you can start fresh and maintain those new healthy ends that you have now? =D

Dragon
September 30th, 2011, 05:21 AM
:grouphug: I'm sorry that happen to you. That's a lot taken off. It might be worth trying to trim it your self next time. There are some great videos on youtube on trimming your own hair.

Nev
September 30th, 2011, 05:27 AM
I would cry too, but on the bright side you dont have any damage anymore!!! I have damage and not that much length.
also i've been trimming my own hair, and i only trim a couple mm at a time and it seems to make a world of a difference. Like the other LHC-ers recommended, learning to trim your own hair would prevent something like that from happening again.