PDA

View Full Version : My hair has stopped growing :(

swearnsue
September 29th, 2011, 11:40 AM
My hair in August grew 1/4 inch in 10 days. Now it has been 3 weeks and absolutely nothing. What is up with that? I massage my scalp with castor oil, take all the supplements, henna, brush gently, dilute shampoo, doing everything right I think. My hair is very shiny and strong and never looked and felt healthier. But 3 inches is not a very flattering length on me. If it had stopped growing at shoulder length I wouldn't be so upset (probably) but this 3 inch length just isn't OK. Last year my hair got down to almost shoulder length before I shaved my head. Any ideas? I'm not sick. Any thoughts would be appreciated and in the meantime I'll try not to worry about it.:(

spidermom
September 29th, 2011, 11:48 AM
Hair growth likes to sneak up on you. Try not to evaluate your hair too much; get busy with other things.

Honestly, this works.

HairFaerie
September 29th, 2011, 11:52 AM
Yes, what Spidermom said.

My hair seems to not grow at all and then suddenly, it feels like it grew overnight! I think it goes in cycles. Nothing, nothing, nothing...BAM! Growth!

Be patient, it will be shoulder in no time. Sometimes the "watched pot never boils" theory is the case. You watch the pot and it doesn't boil, then you go do something else in the kitchen and then turn around and the water is boiling all overt he stove! :)

bunzfan
September 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM
Yep it's so true when i used to take pictures every month i hardly saw any progress but, when i ignored it for 3 months and then took a picture i could really seen it had grown.

I know its frustrating but once it shoulder length you can ignore it by putting it in a ponytail:blossom:

Mairéad
September 29th, 2011, 11:57 AM
I agree that a watched pot never boils. I never measure. One day I just notice my hair is longer. You hair could be growing in other places, too. Short hair grows very unevenly. So, maybe while the hair in the back isn't growing as much, maybe some in the front is. My left side grows far faster than my right side.

swearnsue
September 29th, 2011, 11:59 AM
Thanks ladies, that is good advice. I thought hair grew every day unless I do something wrong. Well I guess I COULD do the dishes or vacuum. LOL. OK, I feel better, but it is weird though.

Panth
September 29th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Also, many people's hair does not consistently grow - it may grow 1/2" one month, nothing another month, 1" another month.

The generally accepted way to prove terminal length (i.e. growth having stopped) is no growth for at least one full year without any cutting. One month is hardly any time.

jojo
September 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM
It hasn't stopped growing its just resting after its burst of growth. The best you can do, ignore it and treat it well. You will get there, anything worth achieving takes time.

spidermom
September 29th, 2011, 12:23 PM
Oh yes, hair does grow every day, but sometimes it's the shorter, newer hairs that are growing, but you won't see that until they pass the current longest hairs.

pink.sara
September 29th, 2011, 01:05 PM
My hair is doing the same thing :(

I can see by my dyed roots the past 3 months it's grown 1cm total. Which is rubbish!
But when I measure my growing out fringe I can see it's grown 6 inches since I last cut it 11 months ago.

I suspect your hair is like mine and grows in fits and starts!
Doing a pic every 3-4 months really shows you the progress you're making :)