PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to grow individual strands thicker?

infinity_girl
September 29th, 2011, 06:32 AM
I had a look through some of the archive threads but can't find an answer.

I know it is possible to get the quantity of hairs in a area to increase through the right methods, but is it possible to get individual strands of hair to become thicker/change texture and if so how?

BlndeInDisguise
September 29th, 2011, 07:12 AM
I suppose it's possible that if there was something lacking in your diet, you might have finer hair, but if I'm not mistaken, I think fineness/coarseness is determined by genetics. But I could be wrong.

spidermom
September 29th, 2011, 07:52 AM
Using henna, I believe, thickens the strands somewhat, especially with multiple applications.

I actually heard this on a makeover show once, but I don't think you want to do it. If you bleach your hair, then dye it, it thickens the strands and fluffs up your hair, which he advised to somebody with thin, very straight hair.

Madora
September 29th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I had a look through some of the archive threads but can't find an answer.

I know it is possible to get the quantity of hairs in a area to increase through the right methods, but is it possible to get individual strands of hair to become thicker/change texture and if so how?

No, because you'd be hard put to coat the strands with just the right amount of whatever you're putting on it. Further, you might run into combing or tangling issues since your changed hairs are not the same consistency as your regular hair. Of course many of us have coarse hairs mixed in with finer hairs, but those are sprinkled throughout the hair, not just in one area.

I'd hate to go to all that effort, only to find that I was having problems with breakage when combing.

Night_Kitten
September 29th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I've heard stories of people who damaged their scalps (burns due to harsh bleechings or perms) and their hair type changed, but I certainly wouldn't reccomend anyone to try it! :tmi:

Perhaps you can try coating the hair with Henna or Cassia, but take into consideration that Henna is very very permanent...

jojo
September 29th, 2011, 08:57 AM
Henna did for me, now its been removed my hair is back to its very fine state.

MsBubbles
September 29th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I've heard people claim that going vegan or paleo or junk-food, etc. thickened up their individual strands. I have to believe this to be complete coincidence, however, since the majority of us don't experience this. I'd say it was probably coincidentally hormonal or genetic.

My hair has never changed from being fine and straight. It's still the same as it was when I was eight (just darker!). I have been through various phases of eating-styles but my hair remained the same.

If there is anything at all that will change my hair from fine to medium, I'll try it immediately.

Unfortunately the train of thought that someone's hair might be finer from a poor diet suggests that people with fine hair have crappy diets, and people with coarse or thick hair strands, don't. This is obviously incorrect.

UP Lisa
September 29th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Well, I eat a lot of junk food, and my hair is still baby-fine!

Anje
September 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM
Well, to some extent... Treatments like Rogaine can cause hair to go from being vellus hair (that peachfuzz stuff) to terminal hair (normal hairs). So in that way, it's possible to thicken strands. People who go through chemotherapy sometimes report that when their hair comes back, it's a different texture than it had been before. But in general, there's not much you can do to cause fine hair to become coarse.

Mairéad
September 29th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Natural hormone changes can change texture. I know my hair used to be a lot finer and straighter than it is. Now it's pretty much medium and has a little sporadic wave in it. Henna and cassia can thicken my hair but it's quite temporary on my hair.

skyblue
September 29th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Yes thats true about the chemo, my hair was M/C before my treatments and it's more F/M and it's been 8 yrs or so since and so far my hair is still F/M all though I notice that the grey's that are coming in are more coarse
Not sure about the diet thing I go through eating very well to junk food I never noticed any kind of difference