PDA

View Full Version : Badly burned and need some help, Please.

catfish
July 2nd, 2008, 06:19 PM
I need some help and am turning to the wisdom of LHC.:pray:

For those who don't use conditioner, what do you use to keep your ends and length soft and moisturized?

I've been badly burned (thank God my hair is fine, but my skin is not) my Doc. has nothing for me to try and all my normal conditioners make my skin burn like mad. I can't use conditioner until my skin is back to normal, that may be 7-8 months from now, and I don't want dry hair all that time. Any Ideas?

Thanks in advance :inlove: catfish

Riot Crrl
July 2nd, 2008, 06:31 PM
Oh how terrible!

Could you try to use oil, and maybe keep it from the ears down or so, if you are not supposed to have it on your skin?

I wish you a fast as possible recovery!

Nat242
July 2nd, 2008, 06:33 PM
I don't use conditioner - I use coconut oil, shea butter, jojoba oil, or aloe vera gel.

HTH! Feel better soon!

-- Natalie

jenna
July 2nd, 2008, 06:37 PM
aloe vera gel would be the closest thing i can think of that wouldn't hurt the skin. it'd actually be soothing.

Kirin
July 2nd, 2008, 06:40 PM
I would recommend oils, and aloe vera gel if your hair likes those.

justgreen
July 2nd, 2008, 06:43 PM
I don't put conditioner on my scalp. If it were me, I'd make me up some SMT, using honey, clear aloe gel (you can leave the aloe out and it will work), and a light cone free conditioner, apply it to wet hair, length and ends only. I'd wrap the length in a bit of saran wrap and keep the stuff off your scalp.

I'm so sorry you are burned, I teared up. My daughter burned her leg and I had to scrub it every day and put the silvadene on it. I cried the whole time, she never did, she would grit her teeth and grunt.

lora410
July 2nd, 2008, 06:44 PM
Vitamin e oil may help your skin but jojoba oil for your length since it isn't as heavy as other oils.

Kiraela
July 2nd, 2008, 06:46 PM
I dont' have much to add, I just hope you heal quickly!

Euphony
July 2nd, 2008, 06:48 PM
Oh my, I'm so sorry!

I use conditioner about every 4th wash, when I don't use conditioner I use a teensy bit of an oil my hair likes and I comb it through.

chloeishere
July 2nd, 2008, 07:03 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that! :( :grouphug:

I know some people on here use a conditioner from Sally's, called CureCare. It can also be used as an unscented lotion-- I've never used it myself, but maybe that would work? Since it is also a lotion, maybe it would burn less.

Otherwise, I'd agree with the other suggestions-- try using oils or aloe vera on your hair, it could definitely work as a conditioner of sorts.

Hope you get some good suggestions, and good luck! I hope you heal fast!

TheSpottedCow
July 2nd, 2008, 07:41 PM
I'm so sorry that happened to you! If you are physically able to maybe you could flip your head over to condition in the sink and wear gloves?

If that is too much, I would recommend oils, like olive oil which is penetrating. Maybe you could try all natural conditioner recipes. Of course, just because it's natural doesn't mean it won't irritate skin, but at least it would be free of fragrance and dye which can irritate even un-burned skin.

And the aloe vera idea is good for you, since aloe often soothes burns.

Some teas also moisturize. I've used catnip on my ends before and it works well. I have just taken dry hair and put it up and dunked the ponytail in. It definately softens and moisturizes. It's pretty hassle free to apply it, especially if you just dunk your ends in a cup of it. Even if it was to irritate your skin, using that method you could avoid it touching your skin anyway. I mix mine with a decent amount of honey, and rinse afterwards. And after that I dip it in an acv rinse, which would probably irritate skin if poured over the head but when you dunk the ends and dry it, like I said, it wouldn't really touch the skin. If your hands are burned, you could wear gloves.

Infact, you could probably use conditioner like that if you were to dunk the ends of a ponytail and rinse it out.

StephanieB
July 2nd, 2008, 08:18 PM
Catfish, oh, I am so sorry for you!

I wish I could tell you something fo ryour hair... but I don't know.

I'd be abled to give you advice on what to put on your skin to help heal the burn(s), minimize scarring, etc... (used to be an EMT, and also from personal experience)

(((catfish)))

catfish
July 2nd, 2008, 08:27 PM
Thanks everyone for the well wishes:o

The burns I have are from a chemical accident and unfortunately are bad enough to where conditioner or vinegar on the ends is impossible as it may, even dry, irritate my wounds which cover my shoulders down to my thighs. I'm not wearing any lotion, I'm using a calendula oil which is helping a lot.

I will try the oil, I have coconut, olive, and almond. I also have shea butter. I'm using aloe already but it makes my hair super crunchy. The catnip tea sounds like a good idea, do you have to rinse it out or can I just dunk my braid into a cup of catnip tea and let it dry?

Thank you all, you are so supportive and kind:flower:

physicschick
July 2nd, 2008, 08:34 PM
Catfish, I wish you very swift healing. :grouphug: I've never tried catnip teas, but with the other teas I tried I just let them dry on the hair without rinsing.

Catladyintown
July 2nd, 2008, 09:00 PM
Sorry to hear about your burns but I wish you a speedy recovery. :blossom:

cindy58
July 2nd, 2008, 09:02 PM
I'm very sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you heal as fast as possible!

Ndnlady
July 2nd, 2008, 09:47 PM
It sounds like you got good advice from the ladies here. I wish you a speedy recovery!:flower:

ktani
July 2nd, 2008, 10:22 PM
catfish

I am so sorry - you must be very uncomfortable.

Catnip tea is better in my experience - rinsed out.

To make it the most soothing start with my dilution - which works well on my sensitive skin.

1 level tsp dried catnip - pet store organic catnip - to 275ml water - steep it - coved until cool - tap the condensation from the cover - I use a small saucer - on your finger back into the mug - I use a bone china one from the dollar store - strain it into a shampoo bottle - refridgerate or use right away.

It keeps up to a week in the fridge.

Patch test it on your skin first.

If you are not allergic to it - put some on your skin and let it dry - it is too strong - just dilute it a bit.

SweetPea88
July 2nd, 2008, 10:46 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about your accident, I wish you all the best and a speedy recovery! :grouphug:

shellblue1
July 2nd, 2008, 10:51 PM
I didn't think you were supposed to put oil on burned skin...?

I would use aloe vera gel. Good for the skin and the hair.

Poetic
July 3rd, 2008, 12:48 AM
:waving:I am so sorry to hear about your accident. I hope everything turns out well. I would try aloe vera gel or glycerin, provided your doctor gives it the okay.:flower:

sandrak
July 3rd, 2008, 01:13 AM
I don't have anything to add except to say that I am sorry to hear about your accident. I hope you recover quickly.

Sceleste
July 3rd, 2008, 01:29 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your accident and hope you will heal well and soon.

I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned water and damp bunning in this thread. Wetting or misting your hair occasionally, and putting it on a bun or braid when it's still wet can't hurt. At least a lot of members here say it helps keep their ends moisturized.

AnimaSola3o4
July 3rd, 2008, 01:46 AM
Yikes that sounds terrible! I'm so sorry you have to go through that!

I do have one suggestion though.... Do you have someone who can help you wash your hair? Because they make products designed for people who are immobile and in wheelchairs, to help them wash their hair which would keep the conditioner off your body, but they are the kinds of things that you would need help with. I feel as though I've seen ones that are plastic that just cover the back of the body, and maybe you would sit in a chair on the side of the tub or the sink.

I can look around online and see if I can find a visual of what I'm thinking of if you'd like. :)

Something that would help keep the condish off your skin would be ideal... if nothing else, I probably would take a garbage bag, and cut open a hole for your head, and sit on the side of the tub and use a shower extender thing. It might be a problem on your neck, unless you put a towel on your neck to keep it off your skin there. Then you could put it up in a towel or a t-shirt or something while it's drying to keep it off your body.

HTH!

paradoxx
July 3rd, 2008, 02:52 AM
I'm so sorry that this happened to you! I think that everyone has already given the advice that I would have. Unscented organic shea would have been one of the primary things that I would recommend. I hope that you heal swiftly. :grouphug:

Poppy Seed
July 3rd, 2008, 04:09 AM
Best of luck with the healing process. (MY SO is a chemist.) You've already got all the ideas I would have written. I'll just say that I love my turbie towel for keeping damp hair securely up out of the way, and since they are so easy to dry/wash maybe this would help if you opt for one of the leave in ideas?

Darkhorse1
July 3rd, 2008, 05:49 AM
How recent is your burn? What level is it? (They grade burns by 1st/2nd/3rd degree---the higher the number, the worse the burn). I ask only because the higher the grade of burn, the higher risk of infection, and you'd want to check with your doc before using any products. Since the scalp is fairly thin, I'd figure even a 2nd degree burn would be very, very painful!!

I know zinc is soothing, and aloe vera as some people had mentioned. The other option is to not condition the scalp. I don't, as my scalp is very oily. I'd use a very mild shampoo as well (ph balanced), as to not irritate the skin.

How are you doing??? I hope you are ok and not in any pain! I know a great remedy for any minor burn--it's a grandmother receipe that works wonders, but this would be right after you burn yourself--egg whites. It's a pain to seperate an egg, but the relief is instant. You do an ice cold water rinse on the burn, then coat it in egg white. Let the egg white dry and it acts as a barrier. However, I don't think your burn and location would benefit from this.

Good luck!! (((hugs)))

Siava
July 3rd, 2008, 06:07 AM
Oh my goodness. Speedy recovery vibes coming your way.

Pegasus Marsters
July 3rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
Ouch ouch ouch! I'm so sorry this happened to you, that sounds awfully painful. Someone suggested Aloe Vera gel... I second that. It'll be good for the burns and soothe them.

Really at this time your hair should be the least of your concerns. Take care of those burns because they sound really painful and bad. I'm a big baby if I so much as burn my hand taking something out of the oven... I whine and cry about it. Burns are the worst thing ever for me. You're definately braver than I am!

Gothic Lolita
July 3rd, 2008, 06:08 AM
I hope you'll revover soon from your accident without any problems and hopefully with no more pain.

I'd suggest, as many others, aloe gel. Many lotions contain aloe because it is soothing.
Maybe conditioning herbal teas would also be an option, but unfortunately, I've never tried them myself, so I can't give any good tips here.

jel
July 3rd, 2008, 06:14 AM
Wishing you speedy recovery and healing :flowers:

Others have already mentioned oils and damp bunning - I would also lightly oil damp hair and bun on the top of my head. Maybe not every day over 7-8 months, but fairly often.

Delenn
July 3rd, 2008, 06:26 AM
Yikes!! I just wanted to wish you well on your healing process and I'm so sorry to hear about your accident. :grouphug:

Boudicca
July 3rd, 2008, 06:28 AM
Sorry to hear of your accident. Have you asked your doctor for advice?

VanillaTresses
July 3rd, 2008, 07:03 AM
Maybe Earth Science Fragrance Free Conditioner-- it is very basic and very gentle.

Anje
July 3rd, 2008, 07:04 AM
Best of luck healing.

Unfortunately, after a long experimentation with other methods, I found that my hair occasionally needs conditioner to stay at its most moisturized. Oils help, so does aloe and keeping it damp, but conditioner works best.

If your hands are OK enough to apply it, why not ponytail your hair, smear on some conditioner, stick it in a baggy, and later rinse it out. It doesn't have to contact your scalp, and if you're careful, it won't hit your back or other parts of your body either.

Islandgrrl
July 3rd, 2008, 07:07 AM
Catfish, I have no hair advice for you, other than what's already been suggested about oiling your hair.

I just wanted to wish you a speedy recovery. I'm so sad to hear about your accident. :grouphug:

Islandgrrl
July 3rd, 2008, 07:08 AM
Oh....actually I might have something worth mentioning.

Have you tried using a shampoo bar for dry hair? Since I started using a shampoo bar, I have not used conditioner at all. I don't seem to need it. :)

FrannyG
July 3rd, 2008, 07:11 AM
Any advice I would give you has already been given. I just dropped in to wish you a happy and speedy recovery. :flowers:

JessTheMess
July 3rd, 2008, 07:21 AM
I didn't think you were supposed to put oil on burned skin...?

I would use aloe vera gel. Good for the skin and the hair.

I agree here... I know there was once an old wives tale that putting butter on a burn would help it, but in fact it makes it worse by keeping the heat in. Oil and butter are similar right?

I would cover your back with something (a shirt, towel, etc.) and make a leave in conditioner mixture(conditioner/water/etc.) and put that in a spray bottle. Spray that mixture into your hair and throw it up in a bun or a braid.

I wish you a speedy recovery and I know your pain. I had 3rd degree burns on the palms of my hands after tripping and grabbing onto a kerosene heater to keep from falling. It took a long time to heal, and I am lucky to still have feeling in my fingertips and palms. So any of you that use space heaters to keep warm in the winter...... BE CAREFUL!!!

truepeacenik
July 3rd, 2008, 08:40 AM
Catfish, you say the burns are shoulder to hip. Back only?
if so, and your hair is long enough, pull it around front for any treatment.
bunning is a great idea if your scalp is Ok.

burns_erin
July 3rd, 2008, 09:07 AM
I would suggest you ask your doctor for an array of products for your skin burns, then look to see out of those what may make a good conditioner. I know I have used a mixture of bag balm (yes the stuff for chapped cows teats), Vitamin E, and EVOO, for both my hair and my burns.

Fencai
July 3rd, 2008, 09:42 AM
look into using Vitamin E oil.

I know that when I got burned by a hospital (I do feel your pain, and if you ever need an ear-Im here for you. I spent 9 months in and out of plastic surgery for it), that I was able to use vitamin E oil.

and I believe that many of the oils we use here, the avocado, and some of the other fuits have vitamin e in them naturally.

Best of wishes for a speedy healing to you!

wintersun99
July 3rd, 2008, 10:20 AM

catfish
July 3rd, 2008, 03:39 PM
Thank you Thank you Thank you:o I'm humbled by all the loving support, thank you.

shellblue1- your right, oil isn't the best for all burns but my doc. made up a special vit. E and calendula oil and it's great, really it's been a lifesaver and reduces pain.

ktani- thank you for the catnip recipe, I will try that tonight. I will do a patch test first, thanks for the tip.:D I also just found the catnip thread and will devour that tonight. I asked my Doc and the verdict is to try it really diluted :D

truepeacenik- the burns are on my back as well as right side of body, not in front or on my hands, or head. It was a chemical explosion and I tuned away from it to protect my face with my hands, the chem. got on my back and side and burned through my shirt. I could put my hair in front to condition it but cause my skin is now hypersensitve, my doc. suggest using no products on any part of my skin. Thank you for the thought :heart:

AnimaSola3o4- your so sweet, I do have help, my honey is taking great care of me, he even braids my hair :crush: Thank you for the suggestion though. Actually, taking cool showers are helpful and comfortable, I just can't use any products.

Darkhorse1- The burn is a few weeks old and is 2nd degree, yeah it hurts but the major problem is now my skin is even more sensitive than it was before, my Doc. is great but there are few things I can use, thanks for the ideas.

Fencai- Awww, Thank you:o so nice of you to offer your ear. The oil my Doc has me using has vit. E in it. It's great.

To everyone else, there are too many of you to thank personally so here is a flower to each and every one of you. a big thank you :flower:

I'm doing water only right now(WO) It's working fine for the cleaning part but my hair is so dry so I will try the catnip tea and oils on my length for now.
To those who may remember, I've used baby shampoo before with great results and was told by my Doc that I could start using it again in a few months but nothing for now. Thanks LHC, I'll let you know how things work out. :inlove: catfish

Cinnamon.locks
July 6th, 2008, 01:13 AM
Ohhh, how sad. angel hugs for your burned skin. i would also reccomend natural oils and shea butter, then braid or bun to keep hair away from skin. I had a similar experience a long time ago when i tried my last perm, burned my scalp and back of neck so badly i had water filled weird raised scars all over from crown of head down the back and sides for months, could barely comb out knots and was very painful. i am so sorry to hear about your accident. be careful, stay safe and take care of that skin, praying for a swift recovery.

feralnature
July 6th, 2008, 02:50 PM
Bless you, catfish :)

Speedbump
July 6th, 2008, 02:59 PM
I have not read the other replies, so please forgive if this repeats anything.

Shea butter (unrefined especially) is known to be healing to the skin, as are coconut oil and aloe vera gel. All of those things are good for most people's hair as well as their skin.

Honey, which has been used as an antibacterial agent since at least Egyptian times, is also good for most people's hair and is *excellent* for burns. In fact, they have done at least one verified scientific study in which they used bandages soaked in a very strong type of honey instead of regular burn-type bandages on burn victims and they healed very well with no more infections than usual.

If you are able to use shampoo of some kind, then honey and aloe mixed together might be good for in the shower; then rinse; and then lightly oil your hair with shea and coconut oil in combo or singly. And if any would happen to get on your skin, it should only help it. :)

I sure hope you feel better soon and heal beautifully! :flowers:

Darkhorse1
July 6th, 2008, 03:05 PM
Hey Catfish--ouch! What chemicals were they? I only ask because it's possible your doc doesn't want your system to have anything else near it for a month or so, to let your system handle what it's been exposed to.

I would check with your doc in regards to any suggestions here. Zinc and Vitamin E cream has worked wonders for some people I know. (((HUGS)) to you for a speedy recovery.

Juli414
July 6th, 2008, 03:22 PM
My deepest wishes for a speedy recovery.

I don't have any new product suggestions, but rather an idea for method.

From the way you talk, I take it you do the conditioning in the bath/shower, then rinse out. I know it would be a hassle to do this, but can you get dressed, or at least put on a robe, then do the conditioning, and do the rinse while leaning over forwards, like over a sink or with only your head over the shower/tub? I'm thinking to use the garment as a shield between your skin and the conditioner. Or make a cape of sorts out of a large trash bag... something on those lines.

Again, take care of yourself.

Garnett
July 6th, 2008, 05:04 PM
Great suggestions here. I agree with dressing and then conditioning and rinsing bent over. I wish you a speedy recovery and I'm glad you're okay :)

serenitygal
July 6th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Goodness! I hope that your skin is healed soon, and that there will be minimal scarring. I'll keep it in prayer.

My suggestion would be to use an aloe/oil mix on the scalp hair (if you can tolerate that) and to put conditioner on the length. Tie off a loose ponytail, wet it, and then soak it in conditioner. Rinse it out in a sink or over the bathtub with a hand-held sprayer; the idea is not to get your skin wet while doing this.

Do feel better, honey! :flowers:

amberdakota
July 7th, 2008, 03:27 PM
I don't have any more to add, but I do wish you a speedy recovery!! I'll send some good energy your way... :-)