PDA

View Full Version : Hair smells terrible!

Barniie
September 29th, 2011, 02:45 AM
Hey guys!
Sof if you read my other thread, I happily dyed my blonde hair demi-permanent brown two weeks ago. All went well, hair is a little dry, but still there!

BUT!

Today I was running to class and it started to rain, and my hair got soaked. So I let it down. When I was doing a dance for this school music thing, my hair hit my face and I smelt it. I actually gagged.
It smells. so. bad.

Like, pizza and yeast and all things terrible. It smells as though it is mouldy? I can only smell it when it is even a little wet - when I blow-dried, it went away. However when y hair is WET (ie. in the shower) it smells fine, (if anything, like dye).

Any suggestions as to why? I can't stand it! Im going to stop using my oh-so-perfumed LUSH shampoo and conditioner and stick to the old herbal essences rose one from now on I think.

Any help or ideas much appreciated!!
Barniie :)

(ETA: Brown is considerably fading each shower now. It is a dark orangey-yellow blonde / very light brown now.)

MrsGuther
September 29th, 2011, 04:13 AM
hmmmm... I'm not sure why your hair is smelling so badly. Maybe you could read through the ingredients on the box of dye you used and see if maybe one of the ingredients is the culprit. My hair always smells gross to me when I dye it, but generally not afterwards.

Lapin
September 29th, 2011, 07:05 AM
funny, i was just talking about hair smell over in the dirty hair secrets thread.

my newbie guess is that it's some product build up. i love lush's shampoo (godiva...unf!), but it only smelled good while showering. plus, it kinda makes my hair sticky. do you ever do a baking soda rinse? that usually work wonders on making my hair feel and smell ok. it doesn't add a smell, but it does neutralize odd odors. i don't know what that will do to your dye though... it may just lighten it a bit.

jojo
September 29th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Colour B4 made my hair smell horrible for 5 weeks. I did a coconut milk treatment and the smell went for me and id tried everything.

BelleBot
September 29th, 2011, 09:12 AM
I once had an incident of smelly hair when damp, it turned out it was because of the towel I had used to dry it (thanks DBF for leaving smelly towels on the rack!). So check your towel to make sure it's fresh as smells can transfer from that. Just a possibility.

lapushka
September 29th, 2011, 09:26 AM
Maybe it was the rain.

YepLilly
September 29th, 2011, 09:47 AM
What about an ACV rinse? I've read about people spritzing diluted ACV on their hair to control odors like cigarette smoke. Just wanted to throw my random two cents there.

Mairéad
September 29th, 2011, 09:58 AM
I can never smell the ACV in my hair but apparently my DBF can. Originally I was horrified to thick my hair smells like vinegar but to that my DBF recanted, "Hey, salad dressing is tasty."

How long ago did you dye your hair? Mine would always smell of hair dye for a fews days back when I box colored but, it certainly wasn't a moldy smell. Do you think any of your hair products have gone bad? I once had a jar of coconut oil that didn't smell so pleasant after the first year I had it.

swearnsue
September 29th, 2011, 11:28 AM
Are you diabetic? If your head is itchy too and you are diabetic then it could be a yeast infection. I bet like someone else already said though, probably just a stinky towel.

ebba
September 29th, 2011, 12:27 PM
maybe it was your towel if you towel dried?

Jinglelocks
September 29th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Huh, I have no idea why it would smell that way. It must be the dye - maybe when the color fades out more it will smell less?

Barniie
September 30th, 2011, 12:21 AM
Hmmm.. i'm getting a bit of plainer shampoo, and will probably vinegar rinse. My towel might have smelt bad - i'll try that! Thanks everyone :D

UltraBella
September 30th, 2011, 01:05 AM
Maybe it was the rain.

Quite possibly ! I had very smelly rain come down on me once, my hair and clothes smelled a bit of rotten eggs afterwards.

Barniie
September 30th, 2011, 01:52 AM
I would assume it was the rain but even after I washed my hair than night, when it was drying it smelt bad still! Hmmmmmm....