PDA

View Full Version : Pin curls -- I love them!

coffinhert
September 28th, 2011, 07:47 PM
I've spent a lot of time trying to find damage-free ways to make my hair curl -- into loose spirals -- and hold the shape. Pin curls seems to be the way to go. The curls make wide spirals which become more defined towards the ends and it looks very natural/easy. The curl holds for multiple days. And unlike other curl methods I've tried, this somehow gives my hair super extra body from even from the top of my head. My hair often lays very flat and this method is the best thing I've found for body.

Method: Conditioner wash hair, let air dry halfway. Spritz with rose water if it dries out too much. I use a 2 oz squirt bottle to roll the curls up, it's the widest diameter I can get my hair around. The wider the diameter of the curl, the looser the curls are once dry. I like the looser curls better than the tight ones. To make the curl, I smooth the section with a boar bristle brush, straight out instead of down. I curl from the horizontal, not from downward. Loop the end of the hair around the bottle then roll it inwards so the end is inside the rest of the roll. Then very carefully slide it off the side of the bottle, wrap a little more until it's flat against your head, and pin in place with bobbies. There are tons of tutorials on youtube,google,ehow,etc. I have a side part and I make one curl for the top part of my head that includes the flat laydown of the sidepart. The rest of my head is 4-6 curls, depending. It takes 2-3 bobby pins per curls to hold them in place. I would recommend plastic-coated, loose-hold bobby pins, not tight ones. It looks a lot like this linky (http://www.jennyevelynphoto.com/blog/http://www.jennyevelynphoto.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/02/logo41-810x810.jpg). I go to sleep and take it all out in the morning. I finger curl and shape throughout the day to keep the curls in ringlet formation. If I need to put my hair up, I finger curl it all together into a cinnabon. Then I can take it down later and it's still bodacious and curly.

Interested to hear anyone else's experience or pictures of pin curls you've done!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9362&pictureid=121803
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9362&pictureid=121804

My hair dried loose, NOT in pin curls, for comparison (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=9362&pictureid=121805)

MrsGuther
September 28th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I've never tried them, but I want to learn how. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread so I can see pics and maybe get the gist of how to do pin curls. :)

chelseamichelle
September 28th, 2011, 08:06 PM
You're so lucky! Every time I try pin curls it's a disaster.. I get one or two nice curls and the rest are terrible haha

Rocket22
September 28th, 2011, 08:25 PM
Oh I love pin curls! This thread is funny because I just did some yesterday and haven't done them in ages, like years and years! I just wrap hair around my finger and pin it. I don't even have to leave them in very long. They really do give a very nice curl pattern. If I get ambitious I will pin curl and take pictures soon.

missoj
September 29th, 2011, 12:57 PM
I love pin curls as well they work better thank sock buns for me, but I prefer the gibson-like method for lipstickdiaries on youtube, it curls better for me.

Chanteuse87
September 29th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Ha, I HATE pincurls. I always have to pincurl my hair for the opera, to get it under the wigs -- total pain in the a$$. I do get pretty curls from them, but my hair is too heavy for them to hold for long.

coffinhert
December 23rd, 2011, 09:40 AM
Just added photos (finally!)

darkrose
December 23rd, 2011, 10:10 AM
I hate pin curls, when I took the pins out the curls were still stuck to my head. I had too wash my hair several times to make them come lose, it was horrible. My hair holds way to well for my liking. :/

jacqueline101
December 23rd, 2011, 10:13 AM
I don't know about the old fashion way of doing them I have pin curl spoolies. I like them.

RapunzelKat
December 23rd, 2011, 11:04 AM
I love your pin curls! They are so cute and flattering! :) I would love to try them but I have the feeling my hair is just too long...

coffinhert
December 23rd, 2011, 11:16 AM
I hate pin curls, when I took the pins out the curls were still stuck to my head. I had too wash my hair several times to make them come lose, it was horrible. My hair holds way to well for my liking. :/

If that's the case, try this.
Dry your hair completely, so the roots have been dry for a day. Then spritz water just on the ends, so they are damp. Then do the pin curls. Don't roll it tight all the length, make the ends real tight then loosen towards the roots. Make the curl looser the higher up you go, in a gradient. Then after being held like that, your ends should have a much stronger curl hold than the roots.

Diamond.Eyes
December 23rd, 2011, 11:19 AM
Yours turned out great! :D unfortunately my hair is much too long and thick to pin-curl it. If I wanted to curl thin inch-wide sections, it would literelly take me 45-60 minutes to create pin curls. I prefer my ionic steam setters or my bendy rollers :).

uptosomeone
December 23rd, 2011, 12:09 PM
I really like pin curls, and while I don't always feel like doing my whole head, most days I'll pincurl my bangs loosely for an hour or so to give them a stay-out-of-my-face wave. :D

oktobergoud
December 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
They look so nice! My hair is still super short so I can't really try pin curls yet..

Kira94
December 23rd, 2011, 12:55 PM
I love pincurls! I used to do them every night when I used to wear 1940s and 1950s clothes. :) They're so easy, it's great!
I found I also got a nice wave if I just did one huge pincurl on each side of my head. The first picture is of that.

My pincurls at various lengths:
http://i43.tinypic.com/auzafc.png

tamchronic
December 24th, 2011, 06:50 AM
I adore pincurls! I finally gave them another go today after not having tried them out for a long time. One's hair really should be layered or at least U-shaped for pincurled hair to fall nicely and form a good shape. I recently got my hair layered a bit more, so I thought I'd give them another go, and it turned out great.

Unfortunately, I don't have any photos at the moment. Maybe next time.

To darkrose and others who are having problems with the shape of pincurls: the trick is in brushing the curls out. When you first take them out, they look weirdly-shaped and awkward. After the first few brushes, you'll get a crazy, poofy mess. If you keep brushing and shaping, however, you should get lovely curl-waves with a great vintage look. There are some good tutorials on Youtube -- I think LisaFreemontStreet has a good brushing-out tutorial.

I like to grab a lock of hair and brush it flat around my arm/wrist, which smooths out frizz and shapes the curl nicely and neatly.

wicked kisses
December 24th, 2011, 06:54 AM
They look so nice! My hair is still super short so I can't really try pin curls yet..

Sure you can, just make little 'finger curls'. My mom used to do this when I was little. Came out looking like Shirley Temple, which was ultra cool at the time.

darkrose
December 24th, 2011, 07:27 AM
@coffinhert ok, i, going to try that, thanks for that advice !:)

@tamchronic I dont know you were supposed to brush them out, I will try that next time as well!:)

Kira94
December 24th, 2011, 02:28 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that in all my pictures mine are brushed out. :)
Here's mine not brushed out yet (pardon the frizz)

http://i40.tinypic.com/ta3r00.png

spidermom
December 24th, 2011, 02:59 PM
So pretty! I get nice results from pin curls, but they don't last long.