View Full Version : Anyone else's hair love the rain?

Mairéad
September 28th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I don't know about where you guy's live but here in Central Indiana it has been raining for what seems a week. It's on and off but it seems to be 'on' every time I set foot outside to walk home or to classes.

I know many people get incredibly frizzy hair when it rains but mine gets ridiculously soft and clean once it dries. (And I haven't washed in three days AND I oiled!) I thought about why and it brought me back to a lesson in my agronomy class (nerd alarms are going off now). Anyway, I think it may because rain is slightly acidic. So for me, a person whose hair loves acidic rinses, walking home in the rain is like a persistent ACV rinse. Coupled with the fact that I have hard water, well, tada! The minerals start getting out of my hair. My DBF thinks it's crazy that I get absolutely Fruit Loops with joy when it starts raining and jump from under the umbrella. The "not getting it" face continues when I tell him it's because of my hair.

So, does anyone else get soft hair after the rain? And, do you know why? (Hope my hypothesis is right). :D

Velvet Dreamer
September 28th, 2011, 05:00 PM
It has not rained here in a while- I've actually been waiting for it so I can walk in the rain, haha.
I have heard of others getting softer hair from rain water, and I attribute it to the whole, "Hard water minerals = bad, rain water = mostly pure awesome goodness."

Fairlight63
September 28th, 2011, 06:35 PM
My hair gets really soft also when it gets wet in the rain. I never thought about it being the acidity of the rain, makes sense though.

I have hard water also. Once I thought that I would just wet my hair in the shower to get the same effect. That was not a good idea, my hair got so dry & tangly, I HAD to put a conditioner on it or I would not have been able to get a comb though it.:o

Mairéad
September 28th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Since it has been so rainy I don't have to worry about using my chelating shampoo for quite awhile. I use it very infrequently anyway because I use ACV rinses to help slow down build up (though it still does over a period of time) but it's nice to not need it for another few weeks, especially if it keeps raining. :D

islandboo
September 28th, 2011, 07:15 PM
I love the way my hair feels after I've been out in the rain! DH thinks I'm nuts but I like it, especially the soft misty rains. And my skin just drinks it up as well.

jojo
September 28th, 2011, 07:31 PM
My hair loves the rain. I deliberately let it get wet as it gets rid of the frizz and brings out lovely spruls (my new word a cross between a curl and a spiral!:D)!

owlathena
September 28th, 2011, 07:42 PM
Sometimes my hair loves the rain, sometimes it hates it :shrug:

vatikagirl
September 28th, 2011, 08:10 PM
i guess all the "almost straight hair" kinda person loves rains.... also the "fine haired" persons love it...
i almost hate it ... my hair goes all frizzy and misbehave to a point that i feel i shud just shave off my locks... (but have no guts)

Mairéad
September 28th, 2011, 08:12 PM
i guess all the "almost straight hair" kinda person loves rains.... also the "fine haired" persons love it...
i almost hate it ... my hair goes all frizzy and misbehave to a point that i feel i shud just shave off my locks... (but have no guts)

Huh, my hair is actually verging on 2a (now that it's a wee bit longer) and isn't fine but it loves the rain. There probably is a porosity factor here too.

Annibelle
September 29th, 2011, 06:39 AM
My hair HATES it. It gets all frizzy and tries to eat my face. Even if it's bunned, it'll get all fluffy on top. :( I've naturally got thin, fine, straight/wavy hair, but a LOT of volume, and it puffs up even worse in the rain or if it's humid outside. It acts the same way after I get it wet any time, though. :/

Tea Lady
September 29th, 2011, 07:02 AM
My hair loves rainwater! I collect it, save it, soak my hair in it, use it as a final rinse. And when I can, I walk in it. I do sometimes get some little curliness, but I don't mind that. It makes my hair softer. I also feel like I am giving it a special bonus from nature!

Tea Lady

lillikins
September 29th, 2011, 07:04 AM
Mine doesn't like it... it gets really tangled. :(

melmmo
September 29th, 2011, 07:19 AM
My hair loves the rain too. It is also softer when it dries, and it brings out more evenly formed waves.

vixenmoon
September 29th, 2011, 07:27 AM
I've discovered that it depends on the rain. The cool cleansing rains back in the Pacific North Wet.... my hair *loves*. The humid pollution filled rain of my particular locale in Asia... not so much.