PDA

View Full Version : Possible Breakthrough on Frizz/Bushiness

duchesswannabe
September 28th, 2011, 09:56 AM
I did not type my hair upon joining LHC but let me say it is thick, coarse and salt-and-pepper with dye growing out at the ends, whereupon there are wiggly-looking white hairs under the canopy and curly new white hairs when I pull the front of my hair back. This is especially noticeable right after I wash my hair and after a rain when the wind starts to blow.

Today I did a variation on the conditioner-only washing routine which may make some people not happy, but here it is:

Took about a 1/4-cup or so of conditioner and diluted it in a bottle; added about a teaspoon or so V05 balancing shampoo (:demon: it has sulfates) and poured this on my scalp. I scritched, then added small amounts of very dilute shampoo. I did not add any more conditioner to the ends(!). Then (I believe) I rinsed (been very forgetful at times).

It is nearly dry, and during that time I went out in the after-rain (temp. about 65-70 degrees Fahrenheit). Minimal, if any at all, frizz. It's a miracle. No kidding.

Note: My scalp has been slowly drying out over the years, and I extend my washes to once a week.

duchesswannabe
October 1st, 2011, 05:50 AM
Update: When my hair completely dried, it was still bushy-looking and felt coarse. There is a newer thread on LHC made by another member in which other LHC-ers give suggestions on how to combat terminal frizziness. My other option is to wash my hair at night and braid it when partially wet and sleep like that; I can see how that works. Humidity makes is frizz no matter what. Another reason my hair may be feeling so coarse is because I am going through the change. Yet another reason may be because I am growing out professionally thinned-out hair and the varying lengths may be causing mayhem. :shrug:

spidermom
October 1st, 2011, 09:31 AM
Oh yes, the dreaded thinning. I had that done in the distant past, and it's a mess to grow out! Aloe vera gel (or styling gel) rubbed between wet palms, then smoothed over the surface of my hair helps to tame the frizzies for me.

duchesswannabe
October 1st, 2011, 01:56 PM
Oh yes, the dreaded thinning. I had that done in the distant past, and it's a mess to grow out! Aloe vera gel (or styling gel) rubbed between wet palms, then smoothed over the surface of my hair helps to tame the frizzies for me.

OK, so I'm not crazy (at least in this instance). I was wondering about aloe; it seems like an all-purpose kind of substance.

Thanks for the input, spidermom!

duchesswannabe
October 7th, 2011, 04:26 AM
In my first comment I said I washed with conditioner and some diluted shampoo. Yesterday I tried conditioner only without any diluted shampoo for the first time. It took FOREVER to completely air dry, but no sticky-outy hairs, not even the white ones. The weather cooperated somewhat, too; the temp. was only around the mid-60's fahrenheit; little or no breeze, sunny weather; not too dry. Cold, dry weather will really by the test of the conditioner only method.

However, I must say I was impressed. And I used A LOT of conditioner (although I diluted it with a lot of water to distribute it as well as I could), scritched gently but thoroughly, and rinsed really well, as has been instructed on another thread. I will probably have to alternate these CO washes with a little shampoo from time to time or my hair will probably feel/look too weighed down.