PDA

View Full Version : Individual hairs look tapered but hair overall doesn't?

isabelx
September 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM
So I was just taking a shower and as a hair fell out whilst washing it I held them up against the white shower tiles and noticed they look quite noticeably tapered.

But when my hair's dry and looking at it as a whole it doesn't look tapered at all, actually if anything it gets very bushy at the ends (could this be due to the fact it's dry and split though? I've read a few times damaged hair looks frizzy).

My hair is only at my shoulders so I'm very worried and confused that I'm finding tapered hairs now! :(

What do you guys think?

JessL
September 28th, 2011, 10:10 AM
It sounds like maybe you have some damage towards the end. The individual hairs may be thinner at the end but not lie flat against each other resultong in the puffyness.

isabelx
September 28th, 2011, 10:12 AM
My ends are definitely damaged but are definitely getting better. I'm just worried incase it's natural taper and I won't be grow my hair any longer.

spidermom
September 28th, 2011, 10:18 AM
All uncut hairs taper. They come to a point at the end.

Hairs definitely look fluffy at the ends when they are dried out, also when there are hairs of varying wave and curl. Since you are a 2C like me (although I don't look like it at this length, which pulls most of the wave and curl straight-ish), I'm sure that's a big part of why the ends look bushy.

isabelx
September 28th, 2011, 10:19 AM
None of my hairs have never been cut though! :)

gthlvrmx
September 28th, 2011, 10:23 AM
It could be that or maybe theres an ingredient in your products thats causing that to happen. I cannot for the life of me use anything that has humectant without having my curls turn into poofs. Check your humidity levels in your area, maybe it's too dry. I remember reading about that on the SMT thing, has to be a perfect dew point for humectant to work. I tried the very loved and admired suave tropical coconut and my god....horrible poof, my hair dried so fast it took 30 minutes to dry. I had little to no curl definition.
Maybe check in on that.

spidermom
September 28th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Well, yes - some of your hairs have never been cut before. You grow brand new hairs every single day.

Noreth
September 28th, 2011, 10:52 AM
You sound exactly like me! I find that my hair is puffier at the end because it's courser and has these weird wide waves to it. Though I think the damage has a big part in it. Not an expert or anything!:)

bunzfan
September 28th, 2011, 12:01 PM
My hair is just like that after a few months since a trim and i am a 2C to. I have often wondered about it also so thanks.

luxepiggy
September 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Individual tapered strands are normal - that's how hair grows. The end would only be blunt-tipped if it had been cut at some point, or due to breakage (^(oo)^)v