PDA

View Full Version : How much conditioner do you use?

starlamelissa
September 28th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I wonder if I am the most wasteful member of lhc or more towards normal... I use one pAlmful of conditioner ( currently tresseme smooth and silky) on my waist length hair. I am a normal wash and condition gal, and I detangle in the shower.

So for curiosities sake, how much do you use on wash day?

isabelx
September 28th, 2011, 09:19 AM
Loads! I bought a 400ml bottle of conditioner at the start of last week and I'm about three quarters of the way through it :) my dry hair really needs it though.

MychelleC
September 28th, 2011, 09:19 AM
I use about a quarter-sized dollop. It doesn't take nearly as much as we think to effectively condition hair. I am also loving using a conditioner bar. I was skeptical at first, but it conditions my hair beautifully and doesn't take much product. I follow with a few spritzes of my leave-in and I'm all conditioned. :)

wooliswonderful
September 28th, 2011, 09:21 AM
I'm at waist length too. I couldn't give you an actual measurement but I use a lot. :)

Safira
September 28th, 2011, 09:26 AM
A lot=) Otherwise I get tangles.

vatikagirl
September 28th, 2011, 09:32 AM
i never use bottle conditioners... only the homemade ones.... every 10 days or so.... loads of it.

Shelly
September 28th, 2011, 09:38 AM
I use lots of conditioner. I go through about 5 or 6 bottles of conditioner for every 1 bottle of shampoo.

nobeltonya
September 28th, 2011, 09:41 AM
1 good handful, 1/2 at a time, on the bottom half of the length.. apply 1/2 nicely, then another 1/2 for extra moisture. :) Then, like a dime size for my front "bangs"

Badwolf
September 28th, 2011, 09:44 AM
I have almost APL curly hair, and I use about two palmfuls of conditioner to clean and detangle, and after I rinse that out I use about a quarter sized dollop as leave in.

Cassie 123
September 28th, 2011, 09:46 AM
Six to eight tablespoons (3 to 4 fluid ounces, or 90-120 ml).

swetiepeti
September 28th, 2011, 09:52 AM
I CO wash probably every other day on average. I have been known to go through a 20 ounce (600ml) bottle in a week or so. I've been on the same bottle of shampoo since June and it's barely touched. I figure I'm worth a dollar a week for happy hair. Especially considering how much I'm saving not going to the salon here. I'd actually go if I could find one that I could trust to listen to me. I like the pampering experience.

sweet*things
September 28th, 2011, 10:03 AM
When I use conditioner, I use about a teaspoon. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more, depending on how slippy the conditioner is. My hair doesn't need a lot of product. Bottles hang around my shower for years sometimes.

However, most of the time I oil shampoo, so technically my answer should be "none".

moon2dove
September 28th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I Co-Wash twice a week. I have started doing one really good oiling with caster oil and coconut oil so I use an awful lot of conditioner to make sure I get it out fully. I, like most must use much too much. I know I definitely do :)

MandyBeth
September 28th, 2011, 10:59 AM
My hair? Handful or so, but I'm at sort of shoulder length, fine hair that's pushing the thin side post shed.

J's hair - classic when wet, very curly, VERY damaged, moisture loving hair - a handful is one section when washing. Seriously, I can use a half bottle on her, it's diluted 50/50 with water. So a bottle lasts 4 days, because she's a kid and gets dirty and her hair is physically dirty, so I've got to wash it.

I could use less. I could then also not be able to finger comb her hair, let alone anything else.

Swan 92
September 28th, 2011, 11:08 AM
About three or four palmfuls.

:oops: ..I have small hands.

Ermine
September 28th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I use a small palmful on my hair that's probably 5-6 inches now. But it's the suave naturals stuff (pretty light, cone free) diluted 1-1 so I'm not using that much conditioner, just distributing it better.

starlamelissa
September 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM
About three or four palmfuls.

:oops: ..I have small hands.

Lol, are you cowashing? That is a Lot for plain ol conditioning. I have petite hands as well...

starlamelissa
September 28th, 2011, 11:18 AM
When I use conditioner, I use about a teaspoon. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more, depending on how slippy the conditioner is. My hair doesn't need a lot of product. Bottles hang around my shower for years sometimes.

However, most of the time I oil shampoo, so technically my answer should be "none".

Boo! If I could use only a teaspoon and not rip my long thick hair to pieces I would!

Manzanilla
September 28th, 2011, 11:19 AM
I normally don't use conditioner but if I do I use a bar conditioner and just put it all around my hair so I use quite a lot

ladonna
September 28th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I only use conditioner on Sundays (my wash, oiling day) but I use about 3/4 of a cup. Most of it is for my deep conditioning, only about 2 ozs is how much I need to make my hair happy after washing. My hair prefers oils to conditioners...

Chromis
September 28th, 2011, 11:44 AM
None.

When I used the stuff I used lots of it, hoping it would "condition" more or whatnot if I used more, but honestly I didn't notice any difference using loads versus a small amount and I don't use it at all with my shampoo bars.

starlamelissa
September 28th, 2011, 12:12 PM
None.

When I used the stuff I used lots of it, hoping it would "condition" more or whatnot if I used more, but honestly I didn't notice any difference using loads versus a small amount and I don't use it at all with my shampoo bars.

Your hair is amazing, but how, oh how do you detangle after washing?

beccababesx
September 28th, 2011, 12:23 PM
6 or 7 palmfuls? LOL I'm not even waist yet! I do do CO washes though, so about 3 of those palmfuls are me soaking my scalp in conditioner... Plus I have pretty thick hair.

CathyEarnshaw
September 28th, 2011, 12:27 PM
I use a lot....I guess a palm full. I use the Suave Naturals now and it's cheap and works very well.

kouran
September 28th, 2011, 12:34 PM
None.

Me too. :agree:

Chromis
September 28th, 2011, 12:40 PM
Your hair is amazing, but how, oh how do you detangle after washing?

Thanks!

I wait until it is dry and then comb gently. If I can't wait until it is dry before I need to go somewhere, I put it up gently without combing the length. I comb my hair before I take my shower and wash it by "petting" the shampoo bar down the length and then gently rubbing the hair only a little down the length, always going in the direction of the hair, never against. On my scalp I do the same, just rubbing my fingerpads, wiggling them a little, but again, always heading in the same direction as the hair is going naturally. When I get out I have very few tangles once it dries. When it is wet, the strands all want to stick together and are very fragile. They are pretty strong dry though!

Swan 92
September 28th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Lol, are you cowashing? That is a Lot for plain ol conditioning. I have petite hands as well...

Just CWC :) I use about 2 palm fulls of conditioner on the ears and down during the first wash(making sure I get the ends) I also have thick hair and like to make sure I evenly coat it all before I wash it out after 2-3 minutes or so of letting it sit.

WaitingSoLong
September 28th, 2011, 12:52 PM
I am curious as to why some of you think you need so much?

I condition twice a week and use about a ping-pong ball sized glob. I do use shampoo with conditioner already in it (it is my version of CWC). I also dab another quarter sized amount on my hand after I have rinsed and use it as a leave in.

JessL
September 28th, 2011, 12:56 PM
When I was co washing, I would use about a bottle a month. When I was using shampoo and cond it would last a few months.

MandyBeth
September 28th, 2011, 01:09 PM

I condition twice a week and use about a ping-pong ball sized glob. I do use shampoo with conditioner already in it (it is my version of CWC). I also dab another quarter sized amount on my hand after I have rinsed and use it as a leave in.
For my hair - it's not that much, I don't think. It's enough to coat each annoying little hair, so they all more or less behave and don't tangle with their neighbor.

For J - it's CO washing, so I use it with great joy and abudence.

Chetanlaiho
September 28th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I CO so, a lot xD I just tried diluting it though (otherwise I wouldn't have had enough ^^;) and I think I may stick to that (or switch to CWC).

For my second conditioner I use about two thirds of a palmful I think.

Cassie 123
September 28th, 2011, 01:33 PM

I literally put on as much as my hair can hold, and let it sit, as an oil-removing SMT CO-wash. I could probably get by with less. :shrug:

Cainwen
September 28th, 2011, 01:41 PM
I go through one 15 oz bottle of conditioner in 4-5 washes (I CO wash my fairly thick, fairly curly waist length hair), so ~3 oz of conditioner per wash. Since I wash my hair once a week, and the conditioner only costs 70 cents a bottle, I figure its worth it.

jennescence
September 28th, 2011, 02:10 PM
I use about a quarter size and i have thick course hair. I cant imagine using more than that.

Foxy_Booker
September 28th, 2011, 02:26 PM
I use a ton of conditioner, not necessarily because I want it more conditioned but because I need my hair saturated with it to get all the tangles out because if I don't get the major tangles in the shower I will spend forever afterwards ripping my hair out trying to get the knots out.

einna
September 28th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Usually I use about a handfull for CO (APL, thick hair), that I dilute. If I dont pree oil I could use less.
Then I use about a half handfull conditioner as a leave in (dry, porous hair).
If I deep condition/wash with an SMT I use maybe 2-3 handfulls, to really saturate my hair.

JaneinMarch
September 28th, 2011, 03:44 PM
I don't use any. Pre-pooing with a little castor or coconut oil is all I need. It was the same when my hair was longer, and I detangled in the shower. Oils and butters are awesome.

teal
September 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I only use conditioner to get oils out after a treatment. Then it's a couple of palmfuls... less doesn't get all the oil.

Harm0nyz86
September 28th, 2011, 03:52 PM
My hairs hip length and I use MM conditioners, there super concentrated so I only use a tad bit but I do sometimes wish I could find a good slip no cone 100% natural conditioner but I haven't.

MagicAndMayhem
September 28th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Probably about 1/2 a cup.

longhairedwolf
September 28th, 2011, 04:32 PM
My hair is only chin length (albeit very thick), and I'd say I use a good palmful of conditioner each time. I go through 2 bottles of conditioner for each bottle of shampoo.

sugarpixie10988
September 28th, 2011, 04:42 PM
Probably two or three hand fulls. Maybe more. I CO, but I'm trying to use less since I go through it so quick. I diluted it last time, which seemed to work well. My hair is also pretty dry, so it needs lots of conditioner :p.

Khiwanean
September 28th, 2011, 05:14 PM
I use about 3 or even 4 handfuls, but I do CO.

Libbylou
September 28th, 2011, 05:29 PM
My hair barely touches my shoulder and I only use leave in conditioner after I clarify. Then I only use about a pea size amount. I have fine straight hair.

islandboo
September 28th, 2011, 07:31 PM
For me it depends on the conditioner and what I want it to do. It ranges from a hefty palmful of cheap-o condish (for the first C of a CWC after oiling) to about a quarter-sized amount of high quality conditioner like Biolage or Acca Kappa.

owlathena
September 28th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I use tons and tons of conditioner (vo5, usually). Two big handfulls. More if I'm COing.

CurlyCap
September 28th, 2011, 08:24 PM

::shrug::

Because that's how much it needs.

Honestly, I think it depends on your hair type. For relatively short hair (between shoulder and APL), I use two palmfuls. Less, and my hair is dry and won't detangle. More shows no different. I got through about 1L of conditioner every two weeks. When my hair was waist or tailbone I used to curse how much conditioner I used. I kept my Costco card just so I had access to cheap, abundant, quality conditioner.

My best friend needs hardly any conditioner. She has very fine, 1a hair, and uses about a dime on her entire head of BSL hair.

People are different and different people need different things.

For us, it's a constant joke because she's always working to get the oil OUT of her hair and I could go weeks because my hair is NEVER oily. XD

starlamelissa
September 28th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I guess I use so much because my shampoo is not a two in one, in fact I don't know if it has any moisturizing ingredients. And I don't put a leave in until my hair is dry.

KwaveT
September 28th, 2011, 08:37 PM
I probably use a good bit of conditioner. I do a glob on front, another glob on each of other sides of my head to do the tips. Since I CO, then I use couple more globs to finish the scalp with it. I may come close to that palmful and my hair is still short.

Mairéad
September 28th, 2011, 08:49 PM
I have chin length hair and average thickness so I still don't need a whole palm full to successfully CO. And, I CO twice a week, sometimes once. But, every evening shower I put a little bit on the tippiest tips of my ends and rinse out.

Buddaphlyy
September 28th, 2011, 09:00 PM
I use enough. Probably an ounce each co wash. I co wash daily and a 12 oz bottle lasts about 2 weeks even.

Alex Lou
September 28th, 2011, 09:04 PM
My hair's short and I use a palmful for CO daily. Very wasteful. :?

It's because my hair's thick. It takes a lot to make sure that I get it all over my scalp.

Miss Maisie
September 28th, 2011, 09:07 PM
Whoa. I use a lot. One to two palms full for my SL hair - I basically use as much as my hair can hold until it's completely saturated. I CO.

It's funny - before I started CO, I hardly used any, and when I did use it, I used the tiniest little bit. My hair behaves so much better with CO, and it's about 75% less greasy now than it was before. My hair looooooves VO5 conditioners, I guess! All that conditioner cleans my hair way better than anything else I've ever used.

longhairedlady
September 28th, 2011, 09:29 PM
I just went back to my shampoo-condition twice routine. I use about 3-4 handfuls each condition. So about 6-8 handfuls each washing session and that is 1-2 times a week. Its a lot but you gotta do what you gotta do! :D Do what keeps your hair happy! :cool:

Blackfire
September 29th, 2011, 12:52 AM
I fill one handful about and condition half of my hair, then another handful for the other side, then I just wipe my hands in my bangs and work that dishy in like crazy for about 5 minutes, leave it on for around 10 minutes and then rinse it really good. I also use like 2-3 handfuls of cheap conditioner (sauve coconut :D) before I even get in the shower and my hair litterally DRINKS IT!

Before I started CSC method I used just a little conditioner after I shampooed..... like around how much it says to on the bottle but my hair was always VERY dry. Its only shoulder lenght right now so imagine how much ill use when its long! I just have very thristy hair! I use a little of pandoras recipe for growth stimulating spray as a leave in and im good to go!

Rebeccalaurenxx
September 29th, 2011, 01:00 AM
I co wash with maybe 2 handfuls. Lol.

Pacific
September 29th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I don't use much conditioner. After shampoo I need 1 tablespoon and for CO washing I need 1-1,5 tablespoon and dillute it with a cup of water.

ccmso12
September 29th, 2011, 01:14 AM
Jeez . . . .mabey Im over shooting it but I have BSL and I use a ton!

My vo5 'cleansing condish' I use 4 heaping handfulls . . .a bottle lasts 7-10 days usually with every other day showers. I then follow it with 2 'handfulls' of whatever 'condish condish' I choose for the day LOL

I thought I was supposed to heavily saturate it with condish for a CO routine???

WaitingSoLong
September 29th, 2011, 05:16 AM
When my hair was waist or tailbone I used to curse how much conditioner I used. I kept my Costco card just so I had access to cheap, abundant, quality conditioner.

I think I have figured something out (for me). I know when I use the cheap conditioners I have to use a LOT more. I mean a LOT. After many trials (and a cone free attempt) I cannot seem to use anything but Pantene. I was using Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and it worked...for awhile...I tried the new Suave line because of all the raves here on LHC. I will use it or GF3N for DCT's (or whatever my daughter has at the time) but not for regular wash/condition. I don't think I have tried V05 yet.

Before LHC I used Pantene (the old kind they don't make anymore) for YEARS AND YEARS AND I can only remember using something different when I was in high school. Over the years I would try different things, mainly because Pantene is not the cheapest product, and my hair just won't manage. I am pretty sure I cut my hair once because I could not afford the conditioner anymore.

I am still very frugal and always try to get by with as little as possible and LOVE all the cheap tricks I have learned on LHC, like ACV rinses and such.

I don't know what is so different about Pantene that my hair likes. But I am sticking with what I know WORKS (even though I am always curious to find something better) even though the new stuff is much inferior to their OLD products (despite the "classic" plastered on the side of the bottle).

Sorry about the rant, but I will say I had to use much more with other products so I can see why it could take more. Oh, and I didn't t hink CO washing was included in the question because when I do CO wash I use at least twice as much as normal.

Mi-chan666
September 29th, 2011, 07:27 AM
About half a palm full, maybe a little more at times. :) (hiplength hair)

starlamelissa
September 29th, 2011, 07:56 AM
I think I have figured something out (for me). I know when I use the cheap conditioners I have to use a LOT more. I mean a LOT. After many trials (and a cone free attempt) I cannot seem to use anything but Pantene. I was using Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition and it worked...for awhile...I tried the new Suave line because of all the raves here on LHC. I will use it or GF3N for DCT's (or whatever my daughter has at the time) but not for regular wash/condition. I don't think I have tried V05 I can see why it could take more. normal.

Yeah I need buckets of non coney condish to try to replicate what one palm sized amount of thick coney condish can do. Plus cones equals easily combed hair....which is important for us shower combers.

Zesty
September 29th, 2011, 08:01 AM
I'm just past waist, and I use quite a bit. For my CO conditioner I usually use just about a palmful on my scalp, but no more. I spread it over my scalp and spray with water to get it to work in better. For regular conditioning, I use a generous handful and sometimes I add a dollop more after working that through. I nearly saturate my hair with it. Otherwise my hair can be pretty tangly after a shower. But I usually only wet down my hair every other day or every three days.

Alaia
September 29th, 2011, 08:13 AM
When I used normal conditioners it was a palmful each wash time. Though, being CWC, it was more like a teaspoon and then about 2 tablespoons. No cones, that's why, it didn't provide as much slip.

Now I use either none, or half a tablespoon, or a pea-sized amount, depending on which conditioner it is (I use GM products, so the Cream Rinse is always the final step, sometimes without conditioner, sometimes with 1/2 teaspoon of the 60 second conditioner, and once a month with a pea-sized amount of the 12 minute conditioner).

Tonight I'm going to use a stupid amount because I'm doing to do a variant on an SMT :lol:

lapushka
September 29th, 2011, 08:22 AM
One big palmful of conditioner on BSL hair.