PDA

View Full Version : Anyone for garlic?!!

vatikagirl
September 28th, 2011, 07:47 AM
Has anyone tried anything with garlic or garlic tea?!! just wondering how shud garlic behave with hair... anyone tried anything like rinses or hairpack containing garlic?!!

lillikins
September 28th, 2011, 07:54 AM
I've never even heard of garlic on hair. :o shows you what I know. xD

vatikagirl
September 28th, 2011, 07:58 AM
lol... so true lillikins ... i dont know how this idea got into my mind... but garlic does really have so many good properties.... wont that be useful for hair somehow!!

Kiwiwi
September 28th, 2011, 08:18 AM
I just googled for it.
It is used against hairloss, and (duh) for hairgrowth.

I found this quote:
Garlic for Hair Growth
Hair is mainly composed of protein, sulfur and water. Garlic can help hair grow, adding shine and smoothness due to the rich element of sulfur it contains.

It got that from here (http://www.ehow.com/about_5583915_garlic-hair-treatment-do_.html).

Manzanilla
September 28th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I don't know, I think it is good for your skin isn't it? But I don't know about garlic and hair, sorry!

spidermom
September 28th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I really hate the smell of garlic, even though I like it in certain foods. It's not something I'd use on my hair.

vatikagirl
September 28th, 2011, 09:00 AM
thanks kiwiwi.... gives some hope....

Noreth
September 28th, 2011, 09:04 AM
There was a recipe that included garlic (and bananas, arugula and some other stuff) that gave some users great growth results! I'm not sure about garlic on its own, though. I'll try to find the recipe, one second!:)

ETA: Found it! http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=70974

Jing
September 28th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I was wondering about this, too. Garlic is my cure-all when I get sick, it keeps mosquitoes away, is anti-bacterial, and tastes great! Surely something this awesome must have some kind of magical hair-related properties, too.

gazelle
September 29th, 2011, 06:29 AM
I tried garlic in grinded in my shampoo when I had massive shedding. It smells awful ok, but my hair was thinning and didn't care about the smell. It really caused baby hairs coming, and faster hair growth for me. I used violet essential oil which has strong smell in the same shampoo, so I didn't smell the garlic so much

Albiryo
September 29th, 2011, 06:31 AM
WTF.
That works?

jojo
September 29th, 2011, 09:04 AM
Ive never put it in my hair but eat it regular and I think this is the main reason I hardly shed. Though I was told to cut back once as it dropped my blood pressure!

Aeris
September 29th, 2011, 06:06 PM
I definitely think that garlic could help topically - it probably works similarly to monistat, in that they help create an optimal scalp environment for growing hair. That being said, I've never put it on my hair, and I'd be weary of it causing irritation. Raw garlic is quite spicy! However, I do eat it all the time and love it.

Kapri
September 30th, 2011, 02:23 AM
Here's a hair recipe that uses garlic ..haven't tried it myself but would be prepared to if I were not going out on a hot date later!!

http://akuawood.blogspot.com/2009/06/green-hair-monster.html

ssjhotau2
September 30th, 2011, 03:19 AM
I would be VERY interested in trying these- I will have to search out this thread in the future when I have replenished my funds lol. I'm excited :D

Night_Kitten
September 30th, 2011, 03:46 AM
I'm interested in this, definitely :)
I'll try mashing 1 "tooth" of garlic and mixing it with coconut oil for my pre-wash oilings.
I'm not sure I'll start this week (I'm washing once a week, on the weekend) as wer'e redecorating and my house is a mess, I have no idea where everything is right now, LOL
But I'll start from next week for sure...

ETA: Tried it today - I cut and then smashed 1 "tooth" of garlic, added 3 tea-spunes of coconut oil, mixed it together and oiled my scalp and hair near the scalp with it. Kept it in for about two and a half - three hours (had no tingling sensations or burning sensations on my scalp), then washed my hair the same whay I always wash (diluted shampoo, then conditioner, and a catnip rince as the final rince). No smell of garlic after the wash (not even while the hair was wet), and the hair was soft as usuall after it dried.

While the oil was on my head I didn't find the smell of the garlic very bad, but I soon noticed that when I came into a room, the rest of the family quicly found an exuse to be somewhere else... By the end of the three hours I had to promice ceremonially I will NEVER AGAIN stink the whole house with garlic like that, EVER!!! :o So I guess this is the end of the experiment for me... I'm still curious though wether it would have worked if I kept at it for several weeks...

Kapri
September 30th, 2011, 04:01 AM
Keep us all posted. I'd be interested in hearing what happens and whether there is a bad smell afterwards!

Violettwin
September 30th, 2011, 04:47 AM
I love garlic, not sure I want to smell like it though! Its an interesting idea, garlic is so good for health in general - I look forward to hearing results! x

Purdy Bear
September 30th, 2011, 04:57 AM
I eat garlic twice a week in stews and it never occured to me about my hair. Iv had some patches of thin hair regrowth but I thought that was the liver I have twice a week.

There has been research (if I remember rightly) using onion juice for Alopecia in men/male pattern baldness and it has shown some success. It was rubbed directly into the scalp. Onions are ofcourse the same family as garlic, leeks, shallots etc.

Ps Do remember to be careful with its intake as it does thin the blood, so if your on blood thinners you must not have garlic. For the same reason dont have any before an operation.

pepperminttea
September 30th, 2011, 05:28 AM
It eat it quite often, I do love a bit of garlic (Italian food's my favourite). :D I've never heard of it specifically for hair, but I have read that it's good for circulation, and if taken in large enough doses, can even help men with impotence problems. Only thing is, if you consume that much of it, it is quite a bit more difficult to find someone who wants to be that close. :p

Kapri
September 30th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Snort!!! Yes,...quite!

vatikagirl
October 6th, 2011, 06:50 PM
hmm i shall be trying out a version of garlic ginger infused oil tomm.... i asked my mom how to correctly infuse garlic and ginger in oil and she said.... heat 1 tbs of vegetable/corn oil and fry the smashed tooth of garlic and 1/2" piece of smashed ginger in it... let it sizzle for 20 seconds and turn off the heat..
now add 3tbs of coconut oil to semi hot ginger-garlic infused vegetable oil... and use it for scalp massage.

infusing garlic and/or ginger this way helps to tame the stinch....
will be trying this version of garlic oil tomm... will post the before and after results asap.

Yozhik
October 6th, 2011, 07:03 PM
I've read on here before that it really promotes hair growth, but I think I recall someone saying that the smell lingered for months and she still couldn't get her scalp from smelling like garlic as soon as she wet her hair...

I don't know if the benefits would outweigh the possible lingering smell for me, but I sure do love to eat garlic in almost every dish! :)

AcornMystic
October 6th, 2011, 07:11 PM
Well, when I first saw the benefits of ACV rinses here I went bolting for the fridge to find some. The only thing I found was red wine vinegar with added mince garlic. I quite like the smell of garlic, but I was worried the effect the garlic might have and possibly counter-acting the benefits of the vinegar, especially since it wasn't even ACV. Now, it was a real bugger getting the pieces of mince garlic out of my hair, some of them actually looked like burnt flakes of pepper corn and so blended dreadfully with my hair (if I try it again will probably strain it). Overall I was very pleased with the result. Now I don't know if it was the vinegar or the garlic, since I won't know for sure unless I do a controlled test of all ingredients individually and those then mixed, but.. I would recommend trying it out. The smell of garlic makes me drool sometimes and get hungry. I think that whole taboo on smelling like garlic in public or on a date is silly. Anyone who is a garlic/food fan would be taken in by the smell. Like a walking Italian kitchen.:p

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 07:26 PM
I don't think I could get past the smell of the garlic. I probably would not put it in my hair.

MrsGuther
October 6th, 2011, 07:29 PM
Well, when I first saw the benefits of ACV rinses here I went bolting for the fridge to find some. The only thing I found was red wine vinegar with added mince garlic. I quite like the smell of garlic, but I was worried the effect the garlic might have and possibly counter-acting the benefits of the vinegar, especially since it wasn't even ACV. Now, it was a real bugger getting the pieces of mince garlic out of my hair, some of them actually looked like burnt flakes of pepper corn and so blended dreadfully with my hair (if I try it again will probably strain it). Overall I was very pleased with the result. Now I don't know if it was the vinegar or the garlic, since I won't know for sure unless I do a controlled test of all ingredients individually and those then mixed, but.. I would recommend trying it out. The smell of garlic makes me drool sometimes and get hungry. I think that whole taboo on smelling like garlic in public or on a date is silly. Anyone who is a garlic/food fan would be taken in by the smell. Like a walking Italian kitchen.:p

Mmmmm that actually made me hungry- 'A walking Italian kitchen'.

vatikagirl
October 6th, 2011, 07:34 PM
mrsguther, i shall be posting my results as soon as i try the fried garlic oil ... lets hope it doesnt convert me into a garlic head... lol
though my mom promised me it wont be a mishap... she said she used to do this all the time when she was young and my grandma used to oil her hair with this concoction...
mom hope ur right... fingers crossed.

mom2fourgirls
October 6th, 2011, 07:48 PM
can't we just take garlic pills??

vatikagirl
October 6th, 2011, 07:53 PM
mom2fourgirls, here we are talking about the topical application and benefits of garlic... ofcourse eating has its own benefits which extent to our hair.... but may be topical application wud be like added bonus to the package.... i hope u get it what we are trying to achieve. :)
BTW loved ur sign snap...

ludwig20
February 4th, 2012, 08:38 PM
This is a very interesting thread. I have been tempted to try it, but I'm scared of the smell lingering on my hair. :(

Kelikea
February 4th, 2012, 08:48 PM
No, I do not use it on my hair. I already know that my finger tips can smell like garlic for days after peeling and chopping it, so I wouldn't want my head to smell like that. I do eat a lot of garlic and take garlic pills daily for health reasons. When I feel a cold coming on, I mash/chop a garlic clove, cover it in honey in a spoonful of acv and swallow it. Its a home made cold/flu remedy, but it probably doesn't hurt my hair...

blondie9912
February 4th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I tried that recipe (with the arugula, garlic, alcohol, etc) on my hair, and I must say...it was probably the most disgusting thing EVER! Saw no magical hair growth, and wasted a lot of stuff in the recipe, and it smelt just awful. Like rubbing alcohol and grass and garlic, not pleasant

ludwig20
February 4th, 2012, 10:01 PM
I tried that recipe (with the arugula, garlic, alcohol, etc) on my hair, and I must say...it was probably the most disgusting thing EVER! Saw no magical hair growth, and wasted a lot of stuff in the recipe, and it smelt just awful. Like rubbing alcohol and grass and garlic, not pleasant

Yikes. Thanks for the feedback! I'll just straw away, then.

Kira94
February 5th, 2012, 12:13 AM
Hmm, sounds interesting. I'd like to hear about the results. :)
Wouldn't it burn your scalp though?

LissaJane
February 5th, 2012, 12:33 AM
I love garlic.
I am totally tempted to try it out on my hair. :p

woolyleprechaun
February 5th, 2012, 12:52 AM
Ive got a natural beauty book from the '60s that reccomends garlic. 'A very old remedy for hair loss and slow growth is to cut a garlic clove in half and rub the cut side all over the scalp. Place a showercap over it and leave for an hour or longer before a stimulating shampoo. A small strong onion can substitute the garlic' I already stink of garlic from eating so much, Im not sure if I can face applying it topicaly aswel! :)

EtherealDoll
February 5th, 2012, 05:43 AM
I've heard about using onion for hair growth but not about garlic :confused: Has anyone tried it?

LissaJane
February 7th, 2012, 05:27 AM
Today I mixed a very finely chopped and smooshed garlic clove with about 2 teaspoons olive oil, 1 tablespoon honey & 2 tablespoons coconut oil + one teaspoon cinnamon powder. Honestly, I didn't actually measure any of it... I'm just guessing by sight.

I'm waiting for my wash day and letting it all marinade and infuse together 'til I try it out wew!

LocustSpawning
February 7th, 2012, 05:46 AM
Damn! I always thought I was one of them people who'd try anything to get faster hair growth.. and trust me I LOVE garlic (try and incorporate it into anything cooked I eat!), but... no way. Not on my head!

Even though I loooove garlic I know a lot of people are repulsed by it. I have been meaning to take garlic pills for a while now though, this is a good excuse..

Maktub
February 7th, 2012, 06:16 AM
maybe it would be possible to neutralize the smell of a garlic hair treatment with a hair mask made of foods said to neutralize it's odor ? (parsley + yogourt, for example ?)

(After the sulfur, good be great for moisture / protein)

If anyone wants to test ... lol

Avital88
February 7th, 2012, 06:25 AM
i love to eat garlic but not in a million years i would put it in my hair...

Alacris~
September 1st, 2012, 02:00 PM
I know this is an old thread. But I recently started to use queen helene's unscented garlic shampoo (it smells a bit like baby powder).

And I wondered if there are more people in this community who use a garlic shampoo.
And for the people who don't know about it yet, I wanted to share it!
Just because it should work (I just washed my hair once with this shampoo, so I can't say it works from personal experience), and doesn't smell bad! (I really do not want to smell like garlic!!)

barbiemorena
September 1st, 2012, 06:07 PM
My sister's friend had lost practically all of her hair on one side of her head due to post-accident stress. She stared rubbing a clove of garlic onto her scalp every night and after a couple of months the bald patches were covered with new hairs. This is something that I am definitely willing to experiment with, plus I love the smell of garlic:D

ratgirldjh
September 1st, 2012, 06:56 PM
Queen Helene makes an (odorless) garlic shampoo that is supposed to be good for hair loss. I know onion juice is said to be good for hair growth but never really knew much about garlic on scalp or hair. I think it would stimulate blood flow because I know it can sting and cause my face or lips to turn red if I get garlic juice on them and leave it on!

Also I've used garlic cloves for a tooth ache once. I put one in my mouth next to my tooth (crushed a bit to let out juice) and it definitely helped the pain and the tooth stopped hurting totally. However the next day I found I had blisters on the whole inside of my mouth and gum where the garlic had been resting. So I would go easy with scalp and mix with other ingredients maybe oils.

Ml001
September 1st, 2012, 11:01 PM
I used garlic once. NEVER AGAIN. It was WEEKS before I got that smell out of my hair and even longer before it was out of my shower. I love the smell of garlic but that was NOT COOL. It was horrible. If you are looking for benefits, maybe try a garlic supplement pill taken orally, or just bulk up your oral intake of fresh garlic. But after my experience I could never recommend anyone use garlic as a topical application.