PDA

View Full Version : Are there any products that can genuinely "repair" split ends?

infinity_girl
September 28th, 2011, 04:07 AM
A lot of products claim to repair split ends but is this really possible? I thought the only way to get rid of them is to cut them off. Can they be repaired or bonded at all or is that just a blurb by cosmetic companies to get you to buy their products?

pepperminttea
September 28th, 2011, 04:58 AM
Short answer: No.

There are products that can hide them, and seal them temporarily, but none can actually repair damage.

maria_asa
September 28th, 2011, 05:10 AM
Short answer: No.

There are products that can hide them, and seal them temporarily, but none can actually repair damage.

This (ten characters)

gazelle
September 28th, 2011, 05:12 AM
What do you think about keratin masks? Can they repair the hair?

WaitingSoLong
September 28th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Hair is not repairable once it has been damaged that way. So like others above me have said, no. It is not like skin and can renew itself or anything. I think I saw it compared to paper once. You can shred paper and glue it back together or tape it but it is never the same again. I like to think of it more like fingernails with hangnails or something. Again, you can glue it for awhile to keep from trimming, but that is about it. Eventually you will have to cut or file the hangnail off or cover it up with a fake nail. These hair products are just 'glue' of sorts for the splits.

However, there are many products that are great at making it smoother or more manageable if you don't want to cut the splits off. I have a routine I do that masks my splits or fried ends quite nicely!

*Rose Red*
September 28th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I also think that it is not possible to repair the split ends, I think best thing is to cut it off and then treat the ends as good as you can that it doesn´t happen again (but that is not always possible, I know that :(

pepperminttea
September 28th, 2011, 05:55 AM
What do you think about keratin masks? Can they repair the hair?

No. Literally - there are no products that can truly repair hair.

Buffy
September 28th, 2011, 06:11 AM
I have a routine I do that masks my splits or fried ends quite nicely!

Share please? :o:o:o

WaitingSoLong
September 28th, 2011, 01:16 PM
Um, ok...first I clarify (shampoo once with a sulfate poo, rinse, shampoo again and let it sit for about 5 then rinse well). Then I sometimes add an ACV rinse here. I dilute my ACV a lot because I dislike the smell. I rinse rinse rinse. Slather on some good coney conditioner (focus on the length, not the scalp). I use Pantene Classic (shampoo and conditioner). Let THAT sit anywhere from 10 min. to an hour (I will get out of the shower and get back in later). Rinse. Condition again and don't really rinse it all the way out or use a dollop as a leave-in.

That is it. It is the clarifying that really does the trick couple with a ton of cones on "bare" hair. Of course everyone's hair likes different things.

Demetra
September 28th, 2011, 03:34 PM
Well I have been trying out the new Nexxus Pro-Mend system that claims to bond hair back together and let's see....oh right my hair is still full of split ends ^_^

Sorry Honey, but no.

Harm0nyz86
September 28th, 2011, 03:39 PM
Umm... NO!! :( Once you have split ends the only way to get rid of them are cutting them off... *sigh*

Buffy
September 29th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Hair is not repairable once it has been damaged that way. So like others above me have said, no. It is not like skin and can renew itself or anything. I think I saw it compared to paper once. You can shred paper and glue it back together or tape it but it is never the same again. I like to think of it more like fingernails with hangnails or something. Again, you can glue it for awhile to keep from trimming, but that is about it. Eventually you will have to cut or file the hangnail off or cover it up with a fake nail. These hair products are just 'glue' of sorts for the splits.

However, there are many products that are great at making it smoother or more manageable if you don't want to cut the splits off. I have a routine I do that masks my splits or fried ends quite nicely!

Thank you girl!! :):)

jojo
September 29th, 2011, 06:46 AM
A lot of products claim to repair split ends but is this really possible? I thought the only way to get rid of them is to cut them off. Can they be repaired or bonded at all or is that just a blurb by cosmetic companies to get you to buy their products?

yes scissors are excellent at ridding hair of split ends:D then its a game of protection with either oil or leave in and keeping it up. Regular like 3 monthly trims will help keep them at bay.