PDA

View Full Version : Green hair from henna

Teamouse
September 28th, 2011, 01:50 AM
I'm really sorry if there is already a thread on this. I couldn't find anything specifically.
(Also I'm a newbie so I'll let that be my excuse :p)

I am curious about henna, but I don't just want to try a spur of the moment thing with my hair that I'll regret later (as I have in the past.)

A few months ago my hair was bleached and later died back to brown.
I regretted it. My hair was virgin before. Anything that can make my hair healthier is good. I use coconut oil which is fantastic. But I'll use all the help I can get.
Also wow, there are so many photos on here of head turning, beautiful, shiny henna hair. It would be nice to make other people drool for a change! (Vanity, I know. This is a forum about hair, what do you want from me?)

In the end though, I don't want green hair. Which I've heard can happen with bleached/coloured hair. Is it only the indigo that might make it green? Or can it go green with 100% henna?

Or is it better if I don't try it at all?... Just in case?
*fret* *worry* *drool* *worry*

Eolan
September 28th, 2011, 02:27 AM
Gather some shed hair from your brush or comb and make a strand test. It's the only way to know what colour you will get.

Welcome to the board, by the way! Hope you enjoy it.

celebriangel
September 28th, 2011, 02:34 AM
If you use pure, body art quality henna, there is no way your hair can turn green.

Green hair sometimes happens if you dye with henna *and* indigo (it's the indigo that does it) and then do some sort of chemical dye process. However, with only henna this won't happen.

Henna will go red or orange, depending on your hair colour to start with, and can be pushed more red or burgundy by doing repeat applications. What colour are you looking for, and what is your starting colour?

A final thing to note is that henna is completely forever, and the only way you'll get it out is by cutting it off.

Teamouse
September 28th, 2011, 05:45 AM
Thank you for the welcome Eolan!

To be honest I'm happy with almost any colour. As long as it looks/is nice and healthy and not blotchy.

A friend recommended this to me today. She uses it and says it's awesome.
http://www.lush.com.au/shop/product/product/path/147/id/389/hair-caca-brun
... which I now realise has indigo :doh:

My hair is quite dark. I'm not sure just how bright the pure henna will end up. I don't mind being a little red. But not TOO red... or do I? I might end up looking like Jessica Rabbit. :eyebrows:

I guess a strand test is the only way I could know for sure.

Thank you so much for the responses!

I guess I'll have to think over it a bit longer.
Most indecisive person ever? I think so.

spidermom
September 28th, 2011, 08:02 AM
I always see green highlights in henna hair. It seems that most people don't, though, so maybe it's just some weird thing that my eyes do.

rach
September 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM
I always see green highlights in henna hair. It seems that most people don't, though, so maybe it's just some weird thing that my eyes do.

Now that sounds odd :confused:

If it's pure (BAQ) you won't have problems.:)

CopperHead
September 28th, 2011, 12:38 PM
I've hennaed over brown dye many times and I absolutley don't have green hair or any kind of green highlights. In fact, I was stopped last week while entering a supermarket and told what amazing hair color I have and how perfect it is for me. This woman had to be in her 70's and she now wants to henna. I get this compliment all the time from strangers. If you use indigo and try to bleach it afterward, you will most likely have green streaks in your hair. Good quality BAQ henna will not give you green hair. ;) Do some strand tests with henna and see if it is a color you can live with, because you will be living with it for a long time.

halo_tightens
September 29th, 2011, 09:25 AM

I know what you mean!! My DH sees it too, and will sometimes point out a particular redhead in a crowd to me and ask if I think it's henna, too, because of that effect.

I can't exactly call it green highlights, exactly, but there's a certain tone to the finished color that's vaguely reminiscent of the henna mix developing in the bowl before application. It doesn't look green to me, yet it looks green to me. Yeah, that makes sense!

But as to the actual thread... No, don't worry yourself. Henna is magic. :magic:

xovictoryxo
September 29th, 2011, 12:13 PM
as someone who has bleached and went back to dark brown hair i can assure you there shall be no green with henna. :)

Anje
September 29th, 2011, 12:22 PM
as someone who has bleached and went back to dark brown hair i can assure you there shall be no green with henna. :)
Unless you don't rinse it out. :p

Yeah, I know that was a useless comment.

Teamouse
September 30th, 2011, 02:14 AM
Thank you so much for the replies everyone!

I find it so strange that some of you have said that you see a green tinge in henna hair. Green and red are opposite colours. Very interesting though.

Did you use any indigo with it?

There are some sections of my hair which seem slightly lighter, which is mostly what I'm worried about. Although other people say they can't see it. Perhaps I am just too judgmental about my hair.

Started collecting hair for a stand test. When I told my boyfriend I was collecting hair he said "You can't stick it back on." :laugh:

I'm serisouly considering it. I like it's magic aspect. :P

I'm wondering if I should get some from the website I linked in my original post. They have some nice looking shampoo bars and conditioner bars too. I've never used either. OK I'm just thinking out loud now... I mean typing... you know what I mean.