PDA

View Full Version : Sewing the hair

Magdalene
September 27th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Has anyone tried sewing their hair in lieu of pins? (Kind of like renaissance hair taping, but less obviousish?) I'm intrigued from watching a video looking for Grecian hairstyles.

If you've tried it, what are your experiences?

Airmide
September 28th, 2011, 06:08 PM
I haven't tried it, but it sounds pretty interesting. Would you be using thread or something rather than ribbon? I'd worry that the thread might cause friction, or be difficult to undo without getting caught in the hair, but it sounds like a cool idea.

AnnaJamila
September 28th, 2011, 06:11 PM
Huh, this sounds neat! I'll have to keep an eye on this thread . . .

Squeak toy
September 28th, 2011, 07:05 PM
I believe I saw the same YouTube video. I tried it and it worked great and held so well. I tried the cleopatra style. I did however have a very hard time getting it out of my hair. I was trying to remove it myself so that made it harder and I used black string. If I had help or a colored string I think it would be better.

lizdini
September 28th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I've been thinking about this lately. But my hair isn't really long enough to make it worthwhile yet.

Panth
September 29th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I've done it before, to try to recreate an approximation of this style (http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSZ-TTi6iO9GoelFyMzmvW6mrTDlFJ5Q9DYhYaWq08RbzBGqrQELQ) .

I used silk thread, to minimise any damage. Ideally, I would have used thread that matched my hair colour as closely as possible but instead I used grey as it was all I had to hand - hence, when closely inspected, it looked like my hair was held with very fine wire (not my intended look!).

As for how it worked - very well. The doubled-over plaits held together extremely securely for about half a day, until I took them out. They would have easily held all day and possibly even through sleeping (though that would likely have been rather uncomfortable, and would probably have required a satin sleep cap to prevent the style becoming fuzzy). There was no damage whatsoever resulting from it.

Also, they were pretty easy to do - I simply used a large blunt needle to sew the hair together, holding it in place with my other hand until enough stitches were in to hold the style. I didn't do any particular stitch, just put them where support seemed to be needed. The difficult part was getting plaits that started at my temples, without the scalp region being all messy and without using bands at the top of the plaits.

junkyschristmas
September 29th, 2011, 02:03 PM
Huh, this sounds neat! I'll have to keep an eye on this thread . . .

^^
No pun intended? :):eyebrows::cheese:

Magdalene
September 29th, 2011, 10:41 PM
I'm hoping to find some gold thread to blend with my hair. Off to shop tomorrow!

Magdalene
October 5th, 2011, 10:30 PM
So far this is working incredibly well. I got a plastic needle and some gold thread. (closest match for my hair color) I think its polyester but it doesn't catch at all. I'm doing a variation on a fake crown braid and it doesn't go anywhere, and it feels so light!- no pins poking me at all. And I found it is unnecessary to tie off the thread at all, I just left a bit of a tail each time I started a new thread.