PDA

View Full Version : It finally happened.

Cowgirl16
September 27th, 2011, 07:12 PM
Someone had made a post on the mane forum regarding a picture of a woman with calf length hair from POW (People of Walmart ). Well ever since I saw that picture I am mesmerized :crush:, that is how long I want my hair to be someday :D.

Well I showed my husband; he liked it, no odd comments. So I showed it to my friend...I got a scrunched up nose and a "really?" comment. I said yes and she scrunched her nose again and said "why?" I told her I wanted my hair really long and she said it already was, I said "No, I want it longer".
She shook her head no at me:( "that's TOO long".

Well, I still want my hair that long. I just wont share my hair length goal with anyone except my husband and LHC:cool:

I still think that calf length hair is a perfectly acceptable hair length goal. :shrug:

Prettyeyes23
September 27th, 2011, 07:17 PM
Cowgirl, your hair is so beautiful and thick now at 43 inches, I have no doubt you can grow your hair to be as long and as amazing as that picture on the people of walmart! Im happy to hear that you are motivated to grow that long!

AshNight1214
September 27th, 2011, 07:34 PM
I always think it's kind of funny when people think it's weird to have really long hair goals. I guess growing up with a dad who has a thing for long hair just makes said other people seem strange. Personally, I'd love to find out where terminal length is, but that might get a little beyond manageable. XD

owlathena
September 27th, 2011, 07:46 PM
Do what makes YOU happy! My bff and I have very different styles, and sometimes I'll hold up a shirt or something and say "what do you think of this?"and she'll hate it but I'll wear it anyway. Later she'll say something like "Wow, I didn't like that before, but you can really pull it off."

lacefrost
September 27th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Your hair is gorgeous now and it will be gorgeous at calf length or beyond.

Madora
September 27th, 2011, 07:55 PM
Cowgirl16, I'm with you! That length is perfectly acceptable. Your hair looks gorgeous now. Just imagine what it will look when you reach your goal!!

Annibelle
September 27th, 2011, 08:23 PM
I considered calf-length as a goal, even though I'm currently at only WL, and with thin ends to boot. I showed DH a photo of mid-thigh-length to gauge his reaction... of all people, I expected him to appreciate it, as he's had TBL since I've known him... but he said, "Wow, what kinda freak would grow hair that long?" I know he was (mostly) just kidding... but it made me wonder how long is "too long" for him. But your hair is so lovely that you'd make a great Rapunzel! :D

ssjhotau2
September 27th, 2011, 08:29 PM
It's already been said- but its best not to listen to other people. They really only know what they want and we all have a tendency to project what we like onto others.
I have a friend who couldn't care less about long healthy hair. She has long hair that she heat styles and combs through and overall abuses to the point that its almost painful for me to look at- but when I talk about my hair care routine and everything I do she tells me my hair is way too high maintenance.
Her latest response was "it looks nice and all- but I can go to the salon and drop $50 and have hair that looks just as good without all the hassle." :mad:

So it goes both ways and essentially its best to just ignore everyone who has a different opinion and stick to what it best for you.

Airmide
September 27th, 2011, 08:48 PM
Makes me wonder how many people think my hair is "too long"? Maybe that's the secret reason there are so many people trying to push me into LoL? Luckily I don't ever hear from the people who don't like my hair, just the fans, so I can be blissfully oblivious and believe everyone else worships my hair as much as I do haha. :lala:

You're fortunate at least your husband is on your side! :cheer: That's really the most important thing, right? I'm lucky mine is a fan of long hair too, though when I first found LHC he didn't seem that excited or invested. It took me a couple years to find out it's because he was SO excited but didn't want me to feel like he'd love me any more or less based on my hair length, but is completely invested in me having as long as I want.:inlove:

Cowgirl16
September 27th, 2011, 08:49 PM
Cowgirl, your hair is so beautiful and thick now at 43 inches, I have no doubt you can grow your hair to be as long and as amazing as that picture on the people of walmart! Im happy to hear that you are motivated to grow that long!
Thank you :) I hope it looks that good!

I always think it's kind of funny when people think it's weird to have really long hair goals. I guess growing up with a dad who has a thing for long hair just makes said other people seem strange. Personally, I'd love to find out where terminal length is, but that might get a little beyond manageable. XD
I just never thought that having hair that long was weird :shrug: I was a little surprised :confused:

Do what makes YOU happy! My bff and I have very different styles, and sometimes I'll hold up a shirt or something and say "what do you think of this?"and she'll hate it but I'll wear it anyway. Later she'll say something like "Wow, I didn't like that before, but you can really pull it off."
True..she'll wish she joined me on this long hair journey later :p

Your hair is gorgeous now and it will be gorgeous at calf length or beyond.
Thank you :D

Cowgirl16, I'm with you! That length is perfectly acceptable. Your hair looks gorgeous now. Just imagine what it will look when you reach your goal!!
Ahhh; friends who understand me :cheese:

I considered calf-length as a goal, even though I'm currently at only WL, and with thin ends to boot. I showed DH a photo of mid-thigh-length to gauge his reaction... of all people, I expected him to appreciate it, as he's had TBL since I've known him... but he said, "Wow, what kinda freak would grow hair that long?" I know he was (mostly) just kidding... but it made me wonder how long is "too long" for him. But your hair is so lovely that you'd make a great Rapunzel! :D
That is so funny! Thank you :)

It's already been said- but its best not to listen to other people. They really only know what they want and we all have a tendency to project what we like onto others.
I have a friend who couldn't care less about long healthy hair. She has long hair that she heat styles and combs through and overall abuses to the point that its almost painful for me to look at- but when I talk about my hair care routine and everything I do she tells me my hair is way too high maintenance.
Her latest response was "it looks nice and all- but I can go to the salon and drop $50 and have hair that looks just as good without all the hassle." :mad:

So it goes both ways and essentially its best to just ignore everyone who has a different opinion and stick to what it best for you.
I agree, and keep it to myself :)

LaurelSpring
September 27th, 2011, 08:54 PM
Right now I cant get my brain to think longer than classic on me. Once I get there I can probably visualize longer. Its like I have to mentally grow into a length also. However now that I have my routine and updos down I feel that I can handle more length. I have been at Tb now for awhile and that is starting to feel too short. I imagine that if I get past classic, ankle wouldnt seem unreasonable at all. I think most people just cant get their brain around really long hair but then there are the ones that adore it.

Cowgirl16
September 27th, 2011, 09:00 PM
Makes me wonder how many people think my hair is "too long"? Maybe that's the secret reason there are so many people trying to push me into LoL? Luckily I don't ever hear from the people who don't like my hair, just the fans, so I can be blissfully oblivious and believe everyone else worships my hair as much as I do haha. :lala:

You're fortunate at least your husband is on your side! :cheer: That's really the most important thing, right? I'm lucky mine is a fan of long hair too, though when I first found LHC he didn't seem that excited or invested. It took me a couple years to find out it's because he was SO excited but didn't want me to feel like he'd love me any more or less based on my hair length, but is completely invested in me having as long as I want.:inlove:

Yeah I was in LaLa land; I was really surprised at her reaction.
My DH is the same way, he loves my hair but wants to make sure that I know he loves me no matter my hair length I cut or grow to. I asked him to trim my hair the other night and he barely took 1/8 of an inch off :smirk: .
I :love: your hair

Delila
September 27th, 2011, 09:10 PM
... I still think that calf length hair is a perfectly acceptable hair length goal. :shrug:

Me too! (Now to persuade my hair not to taper so much on the way to that goal.)

DakarNick
September 27th, 2011, 10:08 PM
Woohoo, Cowgirl. Can't wait to see it!

celebriangel
September 27th, 2011, 10:20 PM
Tis exactly why I come to LHC for support and motivation. I'm not hesitant about telling people in the rest of my life about my hair goals - mostly, I don't think they believe me since I'm only at BSL at the moment and seem to think that beyond waist is physically impossible :confused: - but I tend not to expect a positive reaction.

Most people give me a puzzled look when I explain that I want to be able to sit on my hair. I haven't yet shared my goal of knee because I'm not sure where my terminal is or how much taper I'll have, so perhaps that would get me weirder looks.

Then again, I'm a theoretical physicist. People tend to find me a bit puzzling anyway :p

AnqeIicDemise
September 28th, 2011, 12:41 AM
Hell, I just wanted to get back to classic length but the longer I chill with this group, the longer I want my hair.

I just hope I don't end up with the migraine issues my mom and sister wound up. Our hair is on the thicker side and both women said they couldn't handle it anymore. My Auntie had hers down to her tail bone for years until she couldn't do it anymore.

Ishje
September 28th, 2011, 01:04 AM
good luck Cowgirl 16! I hope to see pictures of your calf length hair one day ^^

Teamouse
September 28th, 2011, 01:11 AM
I think people have reactions like that it first just because it's unusual. And perhaps they think it would be too much to handle.
Hair does get in the way sometimes. But it isn't difficult to pull it up out of the way. Unlike someone having extra long fingernails for example.

Also this.-

Happens to me all the time. One time with perfume.

Your friend will probably love it and want you to show everyone. "Take your hair out! Show so and so how long your hair is!"

My goal is classic. But just once in my life I'd like to try going terminal. I doubt I'd keep it. But I'm curious and I think it would be awesome for a little while. You only live once right?

missoj
September 28th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Do whatever makes you happy, its not as if you're hurting anyone. Personally I wouldn't grow my hair any longer than hip or tailbone. I think it would be too much of a mission to take care of for me. But if you want it GO FOR IT!

dementedkitten
September 28th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Maybe there was a hint of jealousy there? I've had the same experience.
Infact, before I started consciously growing my hair long my DBF showed me a photo of a woman with calf length hair and I went on a rant about how it was "too long"! .. I realised later though that I was actually just intimidated and quite jealous of her hair - I worried that hers was "better" than mine..

Either way, it's your goal and it's your hair. Plus your DH is with you! Go for it!
Hope to see photo's of your calf length hair soon! :)

Airmide
September 28th, 2011, 01:19 PM
Yeah I was in LaLa land; I was really surprised at her reaction.
My DH is the same way, he loves my hair but wants to make sure that I know he loves me no matter my hair length I cut or grow to. I asked him to trim my hair the other night and he barely took 1/8 of an inch off :smirk: .
I :love: your hair

Aww good for him! I always trim my own hair so I haven't asked my husband to do it yet. I guess I'm pretty self sufficient when it comes to hair lol. I do help him shave his head though! He's not quite ready to rock the skullet lol. I've been debating trying out monistat and roobios etc. on him and letting him keep shaving his head til/if it gets thick enough to let it grow again.

And thanks for saying you love my hair! I'm envious of the thickness of yours. I love my hair but when I come to LHC I often feel like it's too thin and short lol. Hopefully with pampering someday my ends will thicken up some.

SilentGuardian
September 28th, 2011, 06:47 PM
I make a point of not telling anyone my hair goals.
I know my mother for one wouldn't understand. She dislikes very long hair. I just say that I want longer hair, that's it

BlueMuse
September 28th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I know some of my friends aren't big fans of long hair, which is fine with me. In the end you have to do what makes you happy and makes you feel good. Of course, this is coming from a girl who wears rainbow thigh high stockings, so take that as you will.

At least I don't have to worry about my husband or my mom not liking it. My husband is a long hair fan, and my mom is already convinced my hair is knee length (it's not yet) and tells everyone that like it's a bragging point :D.

KwaveT
September 28th, 2011, 10:04 PM

Tell me about it. My family is the absolute worse in this regard. When I told my parents my hair routine, my dad tells me I am worse than a woman and calls me a sissy. That is his favorite put down on just about everything I do that he doesn't agree with. I have learned to tune it out. My mother is trying her darnest to talk me out of growing my hair long by telling me stuff like my hair is going to frizz. Next they will be telling how I can and can not wear my hair when it does get long, especially with bunning and braiding. Neither of my parents can deal with my decidedly feminine behavior at least to them anyway. Since I live with them still, I have to bow to their wishes to a degree. I give a lot of desention also.

celebriangel
September 28th, 2011, 10:46 PM
Tell me about it. My family is the absolute worse in this regard. When I told my parents my hair routine, my dad tells me I am worse than a woman and calls me a sissy. That is his favorite put down on just about everything I do that he doesn't agree with. I have learned to tune it out. My mother is trying her darnest to talk me out of growing my hair long by telling me stuff like my hair is going to frizz. Next they will be telling how I can and can not wear my hair when it does get long, especially with bunning and braiding. Neither of my parents can deal with my decidedly feminine behavior at least to them anyway. Since I live with them still, I have to bow to their wishes to a degree. I give a lot of desention also.

I'm sorry this is happening to you!

FYI, I know plenty of awesome, thoroughly masculine guys with long hair. Most of them are martial arts friends or people who are into metal. Point at your nearest metal band for evidence of why long hair is not intrinsically feminine.

If you stick around here and read and follow the advice, your hair won't frizz most of the time. Promise. It might be a bit awkward in the growing-out stages, but once it's long enough to put in a braid you'll be fine.

Stick with it! Don't let anyone talk you out of your goals. In your case, though, it might be wise not to talk about them too much to your parents.

jeanniet
September 29th, 2011, 12:30 AM
No one outside of my family (and my sons' friends, but they're teenage boys and don't care about an old lady's hair, haha) know how long my hair is. It's my hair and none of their business, so I keep it up except around my family. I don't think anyone has the right to make comments about another person's physical aspect. I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate hearing something like, "Another piercing?" or "Wow! That new tattoo is ug-ly!" or "Don't you get tired of wearing so much makeup?"

I think your hair is beautiful now. I think it would be beautiful if it hit the floor. I think you should do whatever you want--if you want to grow another head, and have that hair grow long, too, you do it! :D

Cowgirl16
September 29th, 2011, 06:19 PM
Woohoo, Cowgirl. Can't wait to see it!
Thank you...just don't hold your breath; we could be here a while :D

good luck Cowgirl 16! I hope to see pictures of your calf length hair one day ^^

I think people have reactions like that it first just because it's unusual. And perhaps they think it would be too much to handle.
Hair does get in the way sometimes. But it isn't difficult to pull it up out of the way. Unlike someone having extra long fingernails for example.

Also this.-

Happens to me all the time. One time with perfume.

Your friend will probably love it and want you to show everyone. "Take your hair out! Show so and so how long your hair is!"

My goal is classic. But just once in my life I'd like to try going terminal. I doubt I'd keep it. But I'm curious and I think it would be awesome for a little while. You only live once right?
My friend didn't know how long my hair was for about 6 months after we met :) She probably will ask me to "show" it off :D

I make a point of not telling anyone my hair goals.
I know my mother for one wouldn't understand. She dislikes very long hair. I just say that I want longer hair, that's it
I wont be sharing my hair goals with anyone else:rolleyes:

Aww good for him! I always trim my own hair so I haven't asked my husband to do it yet. I guess I'm pretty self sufficient when it comes to hair lol. I do help him shave his head though! He's not quite ready to rock the skullet lol. I've been debating trying out monistat and roobios etc. on him and letting him keep shaving his head til/if it gets thick enough to let it grow again.

And thanks for saying you love my hair! I'm envious of the thickness of yours. I love my hair but when I come to LHC I often feel like it's too thin and short lol. Hopefully with pampering someday my ends will thicken up some.

The only tea we drink is Roobios :)
I had been cutting my hair, and thought I was doing a good job, until I looked in the mirror and saw my crooked hem :( My DH does such a good job I think I'll let him have the job :)
Your hair is anything but thin or short, it is beautiful. I had a big shed in May and my hair thinned out alot; I have a ton of new baby hairs right now :D but it will be a long time until my hair is thick again :shrug: