PDA

View Full Version : Layers or same length?

UglyTresses
September 27th, 2011, 06:51 PM
Do you guys prefer layers in your hair, or the same length all across? :)

xoxophelia
September 27th, 2011, 06:54 PM
I prefer a very soft U so I guess straight across. Layers don't do as well with my natural hair texture.

Cassie 123
September 27th, 2011, 06:56 PM
I've never had luck maintaining layers; they get splitty and make everything look bad. But I think they can look nice on others.

archel
September 27th, 2011, 07:02 PM
I like all one length so I don't have bits sticking out of my braids.

Noreth
September 27th, 2011, 07:06 PM
I prefer the same length, probably because I have so many different layers that just grow in like that:rolleyes:. Though layers look nice, I think same length hair keeps you from getting those hairs that just won't stay in braids. Though that might just have to do with length. A true layers master can feel free to correct me!:D

ETA: ^^lol, I was writing when you posted that. Guess I was right then!:)

Mairéad
September 27th, 2011, 07:22 PM
On my hair layers always look like someone grabbed half of my hair and chopped it off. I've had layers for such a long time I don't remember what my hair looks like without them. I have layers right now and I know I'm going to pay for it later.

arcane
September 27th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I prefer layers in my hair. I get triangle head (my length pulls down my roots so I have volume) if I don't have layers.

Teazel
September 27th, 2011, 07:27 PM
I've had layers and liked them, but at the time my hair was only waist-length and I wore it down most of the time. Once it grew longer and I wanted to do more updos the layers were just a cursed nuisance, and it took ages to grow them out. :justy:

lillikins
September 27th, 2011, 07:43 PM
I like mine all one length (with the exception of my bangs and a shorter piece by my ear on each side). I've had layers in the past and really didn't like them much.

MissManda
September 27th, 2011, 07:46 PM
I prefer all one length in my hair, although I've never had well-cut layers in my hair, so I might try them again if I find someone who knows how to work with my hair type and length. I'm really enjoying my new, blunt hair right now so that's what I'm going with until I get tired of it. :D

The last time I had layers, I couldn't stand my hair, especially when it was between SL and APL. I actually found an old (pre-LHC) journal entry of mine in which I described my hair as "blah," "ugly," and "boring." I recently found some photos of me with my old layered cut and am still inclined to agree with that... My hair was very piecey and thinned-out and just hung there. Now that my hair is in a blunt style, it has much more bounce, body/volume, and swishiness then my layered hair ever did.

MrsGuther
September 27th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I prefer a blunt hair cut. Straight across with no layers.
On another note: OP- I am kinda saddened by your name 'UglyTresses'. No matter how damaged one's hair may be, one shouldn't call themselves Ugly or call their hair that. It's not good for your self esteem and self worth... just sayin'.

delsh
September 27th, 2011, 07:52 PM
Layers, definitely! I have plenty of hair but it's not distributed evenly - thinner on top and thicker at the back - so it can look really flat on top without layers. By having shorter layers at the crown I can cut back the weight of the hair there to have more bounce and volume. I like how layers can accentuate my waves as well, when they're cut nicely, and make my hair feel lighter. It also keeps away the dreaded triangle hair! :laugh:

Madora
September 27th, 2011, 07:53 PM
Definitely blunt. No hassles with braiding or hiding whispies. A blunt hemline also looks more appealing, makes the hair look fuller and richer.

MissAlyssa
September 27th, 2011, 08:02 PM
BSL and above I prefer layers or I get triangle head, my hair has a lot of body throughout. But once it gets longer this might not be a problem, so I may change my mind later ;)

Miss Maisie
September 27th, 2011, 08:02 PM
I prefer layers, without a doubt. They give my hair more bounce and movement. I'm only at SL right now, but I actually don't mind the pieces sticking out of updos. I tend to look better with messy looks anyway!

MinderMutsig
September 27th, 2011, 08:10 PM
On me I prefer a bit of layering on the last couple of inches.

WinterButterfly
September 27th, 2011, 08:24 PM
I don't like layers on me. When I got my hair cut at a salon, they always gave me layers. And layers on me means super poofy ends. Basically layers give me tryangle hair. But no layers means the weight of the hair keeps it from poofing up too badly. Whenever I asked for a trim the hair dressers always added layers to my hair. I always became irritated with the inability to keep all my hair up in a ponytail. It is hard enough with the baby hairs that never grow more than 5 inches at most! That is also why I don't do bangs, even though I look better with them. A simple one length do is also easier for me to maintain since I don't let anyone else cut my hair anymore. A trim isn't 6 inches. Especially if you don't have splits higher than 1 mm up a hair shaft.
Now on some people, layers actually look very good. I'm a bit wairy of them because layers seem to take more and more hair at each trim, untill the longest part of hair is super thin and needs lopped off. I suppose that I haven't ever had a good hairdresser though. Except maybe the barber down the street. If you get layers, research your styalist carefully before you trust him or her with your hair. I hear that there are a few who can do amazing things with hair.

racrane
September 27th, 2011, 09:24 PM
I love the way the layers look on me with APL hair but I want to grow them out so I can do more up-dos at waist. My braids look nice except for the hairs poking out. Looks good but a pain in the butt in the end.

JDzWife
September 27th, 2011, 09:25 PM
I prefer same length but in a deep V cut in the back. I used to wear my hair in layers but to me it seemed too much maintenance and trips to the salon.

battles
September 27th, 2011, 09:26 PM
I prefer layers on myself. Maybe I'll change my mind when my hair gets longer.

kme81
September 27th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I am an avid braider so I prefer a solid hemline. :)

Anje
September 27th, 2011, 09:32 PM
Blunt. Layers mean thin ends for me.

mallorykay13
September 27th, 2011, 10:03 PM
I think it matters on hair texture.

celebriangel
September 27th, 2011, 10:13 PM
I like the look of layers on other people who have medium length hair (say, waist or shorter) and wear their hair down.

However, once hair gets longer than that, I find more visual appeal in a blunt cut - particularly past tailbone length. I also think I would find them horrendously annoying for updos (I don't know for certain, since I got all my layers chopped out at the beginning of my growth journey, but I do have two small front pieces that are an inch shorter than the rest of my hair, and they mean I have to finish my braids higher than I'd like. Drives me bats!)

So I sport a blunt cut myself, because of my goals. If my goal was waist, it might be a bit different. However, my hair has enough curl, body and bounce all by itself - unless I style them, in my experience layers just make it go everywhere.

Heatherzilla
September 27th, 2011, 10:36 PM
I like the way my curls sit when I have a little bit of layering in the ends, but I have to say I curse my layers when I'm doing braids. My layers aren't super dramatic, but they're enough that I get a lot of pokey bits after wearing a braid for a few hours.

Harm0nyz86
September 27th, 2011, 10:57 PM
I hate layers in my hair with a passion. I love one lenght and blunt, even though I had the great idea of giving myself bangs a yr ago... NOT, lol. Now i'm left with my lenght blunt but my bangs growing out at my shoulders, grrrrr.

Yozhik
September 27th, 2011, 11:39 PM
I prefer a soft U-hemline on myself.

As a wavy/wurly, though, my hair never really looks like it's straight across, so I've got to work with what I have. :p

In shorter lengths, my hair does really well with layers, which gives it great bounce.

<3OnHerSleeve
September 27th, 2011, 11:45 PM
I LOVE Layers :) It suits my hair, and I don't know if I could ever really go without them. At least not with short hair because I'm a curly girl and it would go haywire :S

UltraBella
September 28th, 2011, 12:44 AM
Layers are my hair's very best friend :)

Sundial
September 28th, 2011, 01:23 AM
I prefer mine to be one length. Layers tend to make my hair flip out at funny angles and they have a tendency to get damaged more easily. I'm currently growing old layers out.

longhairedlady
September 28th, 2011, 02:13 AM
Ugh I seriously HATE layers on myself! That was half the reason I chopped my hair off in 2008! I just could not live with them any longer! I am OCD about having my hair one length!

kidari
September 28th, 2011, 03:36 AM
I cannot live without layers. In fact it may be the only thing keeping me from reaching hip and I may be stuck at MBL or waist forever but it's worth it.

Slamca
September 28th, 2011, 04:02 AM
I've had my hair one length ever since I started growing them out. I've actually been thinking about getting some long bangs or something, but my hair's pretty wurly so it wouldn't look good. It works with updos, though, so I can't complain. You can't tell it's all one length anyway.

bratz81
September 28th, 2011, 04:38 AM
on myself I prefer blunt hemline - no layers. Layers make my hair look thinner at the ends, and flick out funny and they just never seem to look right.

I'm currently growning out layers now that I got in December last year and I hate them. I wanted a trim and a fine, textured fringe. I got a straight blunt fringe (which I don't suit when my hair is this short) and stupid layers. So right now most of my hair is just past shoulders but I have layers as short as chin length which a) sit funny b) wreck any updos bar a ponytail with a million bobby pins and c) annoy me!
Growing these out is going to be a pain...but I think my plan is to get my layers to a decent length, APL or BSL, then cut all my hair the same length.

pepperminttea
September 28th, 2011, 06:00 AM
When I had short hair, I really liked having layers. They made my hair lighter in the summer, and I liked how they looked when I wore it down all the time. Wearing my hair up more as it got longer, they were a pain in the behind, and growing them out seemed to take forever (they also made S&D a lot more challenging). On myself, I definitely prefer no layers at this length. It's just easier for me. :)

Buffy
September 28th, 2011, 06:07 AM
I don't like much shorter layers than your original length, but some long layers enhance the hair shape very much....on OTHER PEOPLE!

On me NEVER again! Every single time go to a salon and ask for SOME layers, they create layers at the MAJORITY of my hair! So i end up with most of my hairs being shorter and there's only a rat's tail amount of hair that is longer. It's just awfull, so i'm not risking it again...

lingxi
September 28th, 2011, 06:56 AM
I'm trying to grow to a softer U-hem. Layers grow out too fast on me and it looks really messy, always a thin length than's longer than the rest...

vintage88
September 28th, 2011, 06:59 AM
I prefer my hair all one length, much less breakage then when I had layers

wooliswonderful
September 28th, 2011, 07:15 AM
I regret getting layers last spring. I want an even hemline.

spidermom
September 28th, 2011, 07:29 AM
I like both. I've been doing the compact layering method for self-trims this year, so my ends are layered, but you can't particularly see that because I only take about an inch off each time.

When my hair is shorter than BSL, I have to have layers to avoid triangle hair. It gets really wide with the weight through the ends.

Sakuracha
September 28th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Had layers for years with BSL to Waist length hair and loved them. Lately I've had a hairstylist who cuts my layers poorly so I'm less happy with them now. I've also had my hair thinned for years on hairstylists recommendations saying it would be lighter, better, etc. Now that I'm growing my hair beyond waist I think layers are less useful will be grow them out to a blunt cut for awhile. Growing out bangs, layers, and thinned hair will probably increase my hair thickness a lot this coming year.

melmmo
September 28th, 2011, 09:36 AM
I love the look of long layers, but my hair has thinned so I'm growing them out to make my ends look thicker. I'm going to try self-trimming for awhile.

Avital88
September 28th, 2011, 09:39 AM
I like layers around my face,else i will look like a witch:)

MaryRose
September 28th, 2011, 10:03 AM
I have layers now and its a love/hate relationship. I think once I get some more length, my layers will look a lot better. So I say yes to layers!

turtlelover
September 28th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I have to have layers or my hair gets too pyramid shaped. I love them with wavy hair!

MissYimK
September 28th, 2011, 10:44 AM
I personally like layers. It gives my hair more movement and body. :)

Fairlight63
September 28th, 2011, 10:49 AM
My hair is all one length. I think my hair is too thin to have layers.

Manzanilla
September 28th, 2011, 11:30 AM
I prefer the same lenght all across!! ;)

discoisntdead
September 29th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Definitely same length all across. The strands of my hair are thick and coarse but my hair is distributed thinly across my scalp. Layers just make it look thinner and it's so hard to style! They are a massive annoyance to grow out. A few more months and I can cut my hair into a neat blunt long bob ^_^

ccmso12
September 29th, 2011, 03:25 AM
right now my hair is creeping past bsl and all one length, I have been playing with the idea of getting layers as at this length (and growing) I can see is not working well with my slender build and facial features/shape If I leave it down. I think Im going to wear it up till this coming june and reevaluate it then . . .Im afraid If I start layering to much before I reach my goal Ill get into a 'keep cutting' mentality.

Kapri
September 29th, 2011, 03:40 AM
My hair texture is fine and thin and , therefore, it is better to go blunt. My face shape is long (oblong) and needs the softening effect of layers or shaping around the face.

MissAlida
September 29th, 2011, 05:29 AM
I have layers, and plan on keeping them. Of course they make my braids look terrible, and my buns fall apart, and detangling is a nightmare, but I love them. They also make my hair bouncy and big and light.:)

jojo
September 29th, 2011, 06:10 AM
My hair is fine and probably medium-thick so I don't look right with layers but I do love layers on some hair such as UltraBella our long haired layer Queen, they give her hair movement. Unfortunately they make my hair look stringy and thin, which is a shame. I also have a very slight U which was meant to be blunt when I trimmed but I kinda like it!

HuggyBear
September 29th, 2011, 06:34 AM
My hair is fine and probably medium-thick so I don't look right with layers but I do love layers on some hair such as UltraBella our long haired layer Queen, they give her hair movement. Unfortunately they make my hair look stringy and thin, which is a shame. I also have a very slight U which was meant to be blunt when I trimmed but I kinda like it!

^^^This^^^ I would love to be able to pull off layers but my hair is not thick enough. Unfortunately, layers make my hair look even thinner & stringier than it already is. :(

longhairedwolf
September 29th, 2011, 07:58 AM
I love layers. My face is pear shaped so I need layers to create volume on top to balance out my heavier jawline. Plus my hair is quite thick, so without layers it tends to be too bushy at the bottom.

insomniac-uk
September 29th, 2011, 08:09 AM
I prefer layers I have wavy hair. The layers work for me they bring out the curls and give the appearance of thicker hair.

Vallena
September 29th, 2011, 08:22 AM
I want to get rid of my lairs and go to all the same length, so it is easier for me to put in updos. I like layers, but I wear my hair up more, so no layers works better for me.