PDA

View Full Version : Beards!

WaitingSoLong
September 27th, 2011, 04:58 PM
Ok perhaps I have missed a thread like this before but I saw a man today with an awesome long beard! I think it takes just as much (maybe even more) dedication to grow a super long beard. This man's beard was to his belly button (at least I think, it is not like he was topless LOL). It was beautiful white but oddly his hair was not white at all. It was a stunning beard and the two men at the counter helping me commented on it and it led to an interesting conversation:

M1: Did you see that guy's beard?
M2: what guy?
Me: Oh I saw it, it is beautiful, isn't it?
M1: (offers perplexed look)
Me: I have really long hair and I always admire long hair on anyone, even beards.
M2: My girlfriend has really long hair, too.
Me: Really? How long?
M2: About here (points to about hip length by LHC standards)
M1: My wife says she gets headaches if her hair is too long because it weighs so much. I never understood that, I mean, how much can hair weigh?
Me: Not THAT much. Maybe she means it pulls too much when she puts it up, I mean, if it pulls too much in one area you can get a headache from that.
M1: Yeah, I think that is what she meant.
Me: That is why I use sticks (I remove my stick and show him, in retrospect, I should not have done that...LOL...I was just excited about talking hair with two dudes in a home improvement store of all places. At this point, I was suddenly embarassed for some reason and hurriedly put my hair back in a bun and changed the topic back to home improvement items)

I really should have recommended LHC to them but after I was embrassed I clammed up.

ANYway, back to beards, I just want to send out kudos to all those men who grow long beards! I love it! (funny, never was a ZZ top fan) and I woudl love to see beard pics!

wooliswonderful
September 27th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I love long beards too, a man at our garage sale last week had one going down to mid-chest & I told him it was awesome. :)

julierockhead
September 27th, 2011, 05:11 PM
Beards are awesome! My husband has a beard (not long though) and I have literally never seen him without it except in pictures that are over 40 years old. I actually have no idea what he looks like under there.

Heh, I tend to loose my filter when talking hair too...a friend was interested in my new henna and I kind of suggested that she try hendigo when she dyes her hair brown...next thing I know her eyes have totally glazed over and I am talking about the political problems in Yemen leading to a lack of the coveted Yemeni henna in the U.S. Oops.

gypsymoth
September 27th, 2011, 05:12 PM
Yesterday I saw a man with a blue beard! It wasn't long at all, but I had never seen a dyed beard before.

wooliswonderful
September 27th, 2011, 05:13 PM
Yesterday I saw a man with a blue beard! It wasn't long at all, but I had never seen a dyed beard before.
That sounds cool! My older bro had blue hair for about 3 years. I liked it. :)

MaryRose
September 27th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I hardly ever see long beards except around Christmas time when men grow them out for Santa Claus sightings.

Barb
September 27th, 2011, 05:33 PM
I ran into an older guy at a backyard barbeque party a month or so ago!

He had a fabulous salt-n-pepper beard down to the middle of his stomach -- not quite belly-button length. I complimented him on it and we started talking about hair-care and our different hair routines.

It was quite fun to hear him talk about his growth issues (like one side doesn't want to grow as fast as the other, etc.) and to trade tips on protecting length.

MrsGuther
September 27th, 2011, 06:15 PM
Bahahaha I so just got a visual of you having the conversation with the guys at the home improvement store. I could see me doing that.

Nicci4
September 27th, 2011, 06:25 PM
I like beards that are well cared for. Mustaches too. Like Tom Selleck

arcane
September 27th, 2011, 06:29 PM
When he's older (he says close to 50) my DBF plans on growing a long beard. He has to be clean shaven for this job right now, but typically he has a beard. There is a man who lives in our aread who has a long flowing white beard that everytime the BF sees him he points him out and reiterates his plans for a long beard himself.

archel
September 27th, 2011, 07:07 PM
I have a friend with an amazing long beard and long hair who is a staple in the goth scene in the town I used to live in - imagine a guy with a top hat and frock coat sporting this look! Very distinctive!

slz
September 28th, 2011, 12:49 AM

WinterButterfly
September 28th, 2011, 01:49 AM
My husband can only grow a few scraggly hairs on his chin. Its ok because as much as I admire a real cool beard on someon, I'm not sure how I would feel kissing it. It might be a little scary. But I do think that super long well cared for beards look awesome. Especially braided.

Pierre
September 28th, 2011, 06:22 AM
My beard is down past my belly button. I usually keep it tucked in my shirt. It is hennaed; it would not be so long if I didn't henna it. Before I started hennaing, my beard was a mass of splits.

Lapin
September 28th, 2011, 06:29 AM
my bf starts growing a beard in october and doesn't shave until april. it doesn't get long, but it gets super poofy and bushy - i love it! most people think he looks better bare-faced (i'm good either way), but he does what he likes. yay for independence!

he also rocks a 70s-style tom selleck mustache year round.
it's cute to watch him clean it after eating. he takes a napkin, folds it, and delicately slips it under the 'stache and brushes out. this from a guy i had to convince to try shaving cream.

if i was male, i would certainly have facial hair.

Lapin
September 28th, 2011, 06:31 AM
http://userserve-ak.last.fm/serve/500/33331403/Devendra+Banhart++newrecord.jpg

one of my favorite beards! his hair is really nice when long too.

Fortresca
September 28th, 2011, 06:40 AM
Beards can be so beautiful. But they can be not, too. My uncle for example loves his beard, but has all the grumpy-pld-professor-look.

Buffy
September 28th, 2011, 06:42 AM
no, no i don't like long beards.....i love unshaved guys, but notb really really long beards.

My favorite length is this: http://jerzygirl45.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/fassbinder-20.jpg

But i love this one too: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_XFj0AOEDLRI/TGV0CKZ6tvI/AAAAAAAAAEE/wW6cxCdNt7o/s1600/eng_australia_hugh__705335g.jpg

But not much longer than that. The worst for me is freshly shaved guys....i prefer them more manly!

Rusticular
September 28th, 2011, 07:08 AM
Loooooooove facial hair! While I can totally appreciate a guy with an ultra-long beard, I love the look of guys with a relatively short one. Mmm.. beard..

Merkaba
September 28th, 2011, 09:03 AM
I too love a bearded man....I like it best when he shaves the moustache but keeps the beard. I told him I dont mind it just keep it trimmed and neat. Lately he has taken to conditioning his beard with my Suave. It looks nice!

I like to gather his beard in my hand and affectionately tug it, and I also gently scratch both sides of it in circles to provide itch relief. He likes it when I do this.

dudbarbu
September 29th, 2011, 06:22 AM
I have a beard for a while now and love it. I just maintain it rather short essentialy for a profesionnal reason. I hope one day I could let it grow my head hair and beard to my belly button.

Albiryo
September 29th, 2011, 06:30 AM
Funy story. :D

I personally kinda hate beards... Excpept those sexy three-days-beards.
But I think they only look good on very few men (dark haired mostly).... :P

Lapin
September 29th, 2011, 06:30 AM
it's interesting to read these responses. it kinda seems like people with long hair are inclined to like long hair on others, which makes sense.

it's not that i appreciate the effort of growing and maintaining long hair (facial or otherwise), although that may be the case for some people, but aesthetically long hair appeals to me.

WaitingSoLong
September 29th, 2011, 12:28 PM
I guess for me I more appreciate the care that goes into it.

I did not find that man's beard sexy at all. But I loved his beard. JUST the beard. I was not attracted to the man.

I am not sure I have an opinion one way or another about beard and attraction. Depends on the guy, I guess, and with MY man, he can do whatever he wants and he is still super sexy!

Now I like BALD HEADED men. I find baldness very sexy. Long hair on men does not attract me like it did in the 80's LOL.

BelleBot
September 29th, 2011, 12:40 PM
I love beards, my boyfriend likes to grow his beard long, it's probably a good 6-8 inches long. He'll occasionally dye it too so it can be red, purple all sorts of colours.
I always think men don't look right without facial hair, I'm a big fan of beards.

kimberlyjoy
September 30th, 2011, 03:12 PM
I love beards and facial hair on men. Unfortunately, DH has too much Native American blood to grow one. The best he can do is his 'stache and a soul patch. The last time he tried growing out a goatee there was a stubborn bald spot in the center that made it forked and wicked looking. lol

SarahKayfa
September 30th, 2011, 03:25 PM
I looove beards. My first husband always had one. My partner is a pilot, and they must be clean shaven, so the most I get is a few days stubble when he's off work :(

jojo
October 1st, 2011, 05:45 AM
I love goatie beards but longer beards scare me. I was locked in a store room as a child by a man with a full beard, fortunately my friend saw him and let me out, else god knows what would have happened. So full beards for me hold bad memories.