PDA

View Full Version : My growth record & routine... is it ok?

vatikagirl
September 27th, 2011, 04:20 PM
Hi, I wanted to share my hair growth record and wanted to ask if its ok or slow or fast... just about anything feel free to share. I shall also jot down my hair routine.

I started with 38inch medium, black hair... and after 2 chops I ended with 24 inch hair in april end.... now measuring my hair comes to around 29.5/30 inches(they are wavy so cudnt be accutate)... should I consider this as good growth or ok one... not sure...

For my hair care routine,
day 1 : I wash my oiled hair with Himalaya herbals protein shampoo... I like to dilute my shampoo 1 part shampoo : 5 parts water. Lather up my scalp and gently squeeze the suds down my length. No conditioning....

day 2 : Oil my scalp and length of hair using warm coconut oil or my own home made concoction of coconut oil, castor oil, olive oil infused with herbs like fenugreek, fennel seeds, brahmi, dry henna leaves, cinnamon stick, few pepper corns and cloves. Use around 1.5 - 2 tbs of warm oil.
After oiling the entire scalp and length of hair, I massage it for around 10 mins, detangle and secure it into a single braid.

day 3 : Still oil + braid.

day 4 : detangle hair and wash it with himalaya herbal shampoo.
i avoid using conditioner becoz i use home made deep conditioning packs twice a month, also not to forget the oil massage i do everytime i wash my hair.

I also make it a point to eat healthy and exercise 4-5 times a week for 40 mins on treadmill.
Being a vegetarian im concerned about not having enough proteins in my diet... hence usually apply curd+egg protein mask alternating it with moisture mask.

some days if i feel my hair drier than usual in their semidry condition after hair wash, i take 3-4 drops of coconut oil in my palms, rub them and slide it over on my semidry hair. it solves the problem.

Friends, do write to me if im doing anything wrong or out of order and whether my hair growth rate is ok.
also do share the best ways that worked out for ur hair growth.

spidermom
September 27th, 2011, 04:33 PM
It sounds like your growth rate is average (1/2 inch per month) to a little above average. Oiling my scalp would be terrible, I think, but if it works for you, go with it.

MinderMutsig
September 27th, 2011, 04:39 PM
Five or six inches in 5 months? I'd say that is pretty good! The average is 1/2 inch per month. You'll be at your goal in no time!

vatikagirl
September 27th, 2011, 04:39 PM
yeap i too read about scalp oil negatives in this community... hence thinking of skipping scalp oiling and watch the results...
by the way spidermom u have beautiful hair... colour is the best... :)

vatikagirl
September 27th, 2011, 04:42 PM
i really hope so mindermutsig...

spidermom
September 27th, 2011, 04:43 PM
Doh - my math was off! Your growth rate is about twice as fast as normal. And thank you about the color. I like it too; going from golden blonde to silvery blonde.

And a lot of people do use oil on the scalp and like it. I don't because my scalp is oily enough all by itself.

MrsGuther
September 27th, 2011, 04:53 PM
If your scalp doesn't mind being oiled then it shouldn't be a problem. My scalp hates being oiled. Everyone's hair is unique to them, so their routine may not work for you and vice versa. If your routine is doing well, keep on keepin on! :)

vatikagirl
September 27th, 2011, 05:25 PM
mrs guther what do u mean when u say u hate oiled scalp... i havent tried not oiling scalp ever... so wud like to collect some database for comparision later on...

spidermom... thanks for the correction.... made me smile ear to ear... :)

gypsymoth
September 27th, 2011, 06:04 PM
I'm wondering why you put the pepper corns, cloves and cinnamon in your oil concoction?
Just curious :)

vatikagirl
September 27th, 2011, 06:12 PM
gypsymoth, peppercorn, cloves and cinnamon have inherit properties of stimulating hair growth. I prepare this oil by mixing all the ingredients in a jar and put it under the sun... after 30 days of sun soaking start using this oil, just warm it before appling for the best results.

archel
September 27th, 2011, 07:10 PM
I oil my scalp and hair with castor oil/grapeseed with lavender/vanilla and helichrysum EO. I'm wondering, does the cinnamon lighten your hair? Does it sting at all? I bet it smells nice!

vatikagirl
September 28th, 2011, 09:06 AM
cinnamon doesnt sting ... not even a bit... it smells gr8 and doesnt lighten the hair... i have dark brown hair and it hasnt lightened my hair in anyways....
i came to know that my hair growth was almost double than normal... maybe its genetics or may be the routine... cant say for sure...

Mrspuddinhead
September 29th, 2011, 10:55 AM
WOW!! After reading this my hair care seems so simple. It works, yet it's simple. I've never tried oil. Though I think my ends could use it especially with this dry desert air. I wouldn't be able to apply to my scalp because my hair is naturally oily. I think I might branch out and try some new things but there are some things that I won't be changing. I have discovered my hair loves protein so my moisturizing milk strawberries and cream VO5 shampoo's and conditioner stay, as well as ASV rinse. I'm wanting to do a deep treatment each week. Maybe avocados?? They would have to smell better then the mayonnaise and egg treatments I've been doing.

jojo
September 29th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I see nothing wrong with your routine and thats excellent growth, well done!

vatikagirl
October 6th, 2011, 06:37 PM
thanks jojo...

mrspuddinhead i too live in dry heat desert ... saudi arabia to be precise... this heat soaks out the moisture out of my body let alone the hair... hence i have to oil my hair quiet heavily...
this routine is followed by me since i guess i was 5yrs old... ofcourse my mom did all the oiling and washing stuff... but yea there werent any deep conditioning treatments then... but at that age i didnt need any .... so....
thanks again for all the encouragement.....