PDA

View Full Version : DO you change you hair care routine in winter?

ladonna
September 27th, 2011, 03:12 PM
What do you do differently?

Right now it's pouring rain outside so all my little 3-4 inch babyhairs are curly, it's going to be snowing in a month and I don't know what I will need to do with my hair since before LHC I would have just started using pantene winter rescue (or a similar name) shampoo and conditioner since my hair dries out very bad. Plus we have wood heating in our home that makes the air very dry.

lillikins
September 27th, 2011, 03:16 PM
Not really... I just find myself using a lot more coconut oil during winter since my hair is so much dryer.

Also, kinda off topic but does anyone else's growth rate slow WAY down during winter?

Kristin
September 27th, 2011, 03:16 PM
I think I unconsciously shampoo less in the winter, since I only shampoo when I need it. I use more avocado oil and less coconut oil (since it solidifies in cool temperatures). I deep condition more, primarily because I like using my heat cap in the winter. And I definitely wear my hair up more; I don't like the idea of the cold, dry air getting in there and stealing my moisture. ;)

Carolyn
September 27th, 2011, 03:22 PM
I'm another one who uses the heat cap in the winter. I'm much to warm blooded to use it in the summer but it feels nice in the winter. I'm more likely to keep my ends heavily oiled in the winter.

Anisaa
September 27th, 2011, 03:23 PM
I oil more often and I see myself washing my hair more constantly. During the winter months my hair gets dirtier and oilier, I guess because I put it up and away in a winters cap. As far as slowing the growth process I have not noticed any difference!

Madora
September 27th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Nothing changes in winter, except that I usually wear a woof scarf over my hair when I'm outdoors.

ladonna
September 27th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Also how often do should I do microtrim's? I had my hair cut in Aug. and already had split ends when I did my first microtrim on Saturday. I've gotten over my hair band addiction and am now using butterfly clips so I think this will help?

ktani
September 27th, 2011, 04:29 PM
No changes for me either. I only wear a hat if it gets really cold or is snowing.

Mairéad
September 27th, 2011, 04:57 PM
I tend to keep it oiled up a little more and up it a silk scarf+wool hat most of the day. I wash it less and slack off on hennaing my roots since no one will really be seeing it.

Jezerellica
September 27th, 2011, 05:28 PM
Lots of changes in the weather=changes for my hair care. I use less jojoba oil and more coconut oil. I use it more often too. I like to oil my ends each evening. I wear hair up more also. Zippers on sweaters and coats are a problem, so I just keep the hair out of the possibiity of snags and damage. Yes, I love wearing hats! I miss them in the summer! I was gathering them together earlier today!

tinti
September 27th, 2011, 05:29 PM
I tend to use more cones in the winter, and more oil because my hair gets static like crazy, but other than that, no.

MaryRose
September 27th, 2011, 05:41 PM
I can't wait for the winter because my hair behaves so well in cooler, dryer weather. I can take longer gaps between washes and I don't feel my hair growth slows down at all.

islandboo
September 27th, 2011, 05:42 PM
I start up with cones in the winter (I usually avoid them in the summer). I also cut back a little on how often I wash and up the oils. My hair dries out pretty badly in winter unless I work to stay on top of moisturizing it (same as my skin!)

Anje
September 27th, 2011, 05:44 PM
I wash a bit more frequently. I find my scalp gets oilier faster in the winter. (Ah the joys of a reactive scalp. I believe it's due to all the dry air.)

vatikagirl
September 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM
my hair has a whim of its own in winter... static, dry.... looking lifeless... so i oil more heavily... wash just twice a week.... coconut oil + castor oil in ration of 1:1 works well for me... castor oil is a bit thicker oil and keeps coconut oil frm freezing in my hair and yes pray for winter to pass by quickly... :)

Harm0nyz86
September 27th, 2011, 05:49 PM
Same here, simply oil and keep in updos and a silk sleeping bonnet, hehe :)

Mythica
September 27th, 2011, 05:59 PM
I love winter (I run hot, so summer in a subtropical climate is uncomfortable for me), but boy, does my routine need tweaking for the winter.
Usually, the addition of glycerin treatments once a week or so (instead of honey) help to keep my hair pretty soft. The addition of a cone here and there really helps too, with some EVOO on the ends (haven't purchased coconut yet). And like many other members, I do have to shampoo a little more often due to an oily scalp getting oilier. I also tend to braid pigtails/do a doubled ponytail and tuck it/them under a knit hat, both for sleeping and for going places, otherwise the cold dries everything right out.

AnqeIicDemise
September 27th, 2011, 06:09 PM
I oil more with coconut oil. I found myself using sweet almond oil in the summer as it is much lighter.

But this is the first winter with significantly longer hair so we'll see where that goes.

archel
September 27th, 2011, 07:14 PM
I don't use aloe vera gel in the winter because there's no moisture in the air for it to suck into my hair. I also go from washing every other day to ever 3 days.

Merewen
September 27th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I'm sure I'll be oiling more. It gets so incredibly dry, it'll need a little extra. I know my hands sure do!

MrsGuther
September 27th, 2011, 07:43 PM
My hair needs extra moisture during the winter time. So I do more deep conditioning treatments.

luxepiggy
September 27th, 2011, 08:47 PM
Yup! When winter starts, I pull out my faithful little humidifier. It helps counteract the dryness caused by indoor heating and minimizes static, too (^(oo)^)v

racrane
September 27th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I live in WI and it's very dry, especially in the dorms where I live. I plan to use my oils and pamper a lot more. I'm also curious because I'm tracking my growth and how it'll compare to summer's growth.