PDA

View Full Version : fine hair question

templeofvenus
September 27th, 2011, 09:16 AM
Have you ever been told by a hairdresser your hair was too fine to grow long but proved them wrong??

FrozenBritannia
September 27th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I'm trying...

Mairéad
September 27th, 2011, 09:34 AM
There are probably tons of fine haired people with long hair. You'll find them all over this place. My hairdresser told me my hair was too fine and thin for many things but in my humble opinion my hair isn't even fine or thin.

It's not coarse but it certainly doesn't have the characteristics of fine hair either. It's not thick but it isn't a i. I've been led to believe my hair was thin but it's pretty average actually.

Point is, I've had long hair against many people's (including hair dressers) advice and so have many other people.

Alaia
September 27th, 2011, 09:38 AM
Do you mean fine or thin? Or both?

My hair is fine (but not thin), and I've had it longer than this. Hairdressers have told me it is too fragile to grow long so I am certainly proving them wrong on that point.

CarpeDM
September 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I'm trying right now...My whole life has been spent listening to hairdressers tell me I should NEVER have my hair longer than shoulder length....

MsBubbles
September 27th, 2011, 09:48 AM
I heard this growing up, and through my thirties. I'm trying to prove it wrong! I mean, I can grow it long, but it probably doesn't look as nice as those with medium or coarse type hair, or those fine-haireds with iii thickness.

isabelx
September 27th, 2011, 10:05 AM
I have fine hair (as in the individual strands) but have a lot of it. My hair has never been past shoulders all my life so maybe (I hope not!) it's too fine to grow long.

MsBubbles
September 27th, 2011, 10:11 AM
Thinking a bit more about it, there's that flippant comment from hairdressers and relatives: "Oh you have fine/thin/limp hair, you can't (shouldn't) grow it long", meaning because it will just look sad and embarrassing. Then there's the belief that fine strands are too fragile to grow long. The second one is incorrect and the first one is just presumptuous and ugly. I have been told my whole life that my hair wouldn't look good long, not that it was impossible to grow long.

Shelly
September 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM
My mother had knee length hair in her teenage years. Her hair is a 1a/f/i hair type. Her hair is extremely extremely fine and her ponytail is an inch at best. My hair is fine and my ponytail is 2 inches at best. If I had a hair stylist that told me my hair was to fine and thin to grow long, I'd either find a new stylist, find a friend to so it, it do it myself depending on the current length.

I've been doing my own hair since it was about 23" long. If I ever feel that I can't do my own hair any more, Justy has already told me she would do it for me. As far as stylists, I might be able to go to her stylist. I've met her stylist and she seems to understand how our minds work. :lol: I mean, look at Justy's hair (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/member.php?u=3183). It's beautiful in pictures and in person. :)

Albiryo
September 27th, 2011, 10:27 AM
My hair is fine and thin and my hair dressers unfortunately tend to remind me of that fact.

But (before I had a major cut) I have always had log hair and so does my sister who basically has the same hair structure.

I think it´s way harder to grow your hair and make it look healthy and shiny etc when you have such thin AND fine (and in my case also flat and straight) hair.

But if you take good care of your hair it should work.

julya
September 27th, 2011, 10:35 AM
My hair is fine, and average thickness. I'm past knee length now, so it can go long with gentle care.

Chetanlaiho
September 27th, 2011, 10:56 AM
My strands are somewhere in between fine and medium (and seem to be pretty fragile, mostly when wet) but the only time I've ever heard that at the hairdresser was when I asked her if my hair was thick or thin. (She got it right pretty much, normal-ish strands just quite a bit of it).

One hairstylist commented that my hair was 'nicely thick' to which I replied that I thought it was pretty normal thickness, but, thanks! xD (she only cut my bangs though).

swearnsue
September 27th, 2011, 11:09 AM
Hairdresser: "You have really fine hair, you can't grow it long." (Especially if you let me use my hairdrier and curling iron on it every 6 weeks)
My mother always told me I had ugly straight thin stringy hair and I should keep it cut short. It wasn't until I was in my 40s that I realized she was really thinking about herself and what HER mother probably told her when she was a kid. So sad. My mom has been wearing wigs since the late 1970s and her mother, my grandmother, wore wigs too.

CarpeDM
September 27th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Hairdresser: "You have really fine hair, you can't grow it long." (Especially if you let me use my hairdrier and curling iron on it every 6 weeks)
My mother always told me I had ugly straight thin stringy hair and I should keep it cut short. It wasn't until I was in my 40s that I realized she was really thinking about herself and what HER mother probably told her when she was a kid. So sad. My mom has been wearing wigs since the late 1970s and her mother, my grandmother, wore wigs too.

Boy does this sound familiar!

NotInPortland
September 27th, 2011, 11:16 AM
I had classic length hair when I was younger and my hair is both fine and thin, and it looked good! It can be done.

MsBubbles
September 27th, 2011, 11:17 AM
My hair is fine, and average thickness. I'm past knee length now, so it can go long with gentle care.

Julya, your hair is just :thud:. I hope you don't mind me asking...what's your ponytail circumference :eyebrows:?

furnival
September 27th, 2011, 11:24 AM
My Mum has very fine 1a/ f/ i hair and it's been very long for decades- she's currently about mid-thigh. She's never been to a hairdressers. :p

Rybe
September 27th, 2011, 11:39 AM
I've never had a hairdresser tell me this, but that's probably because it was either pixi when I saw them or already long. I managed to skip going in for the transition (heh heh poor college student). I have, however, had hairdressers react with surprise when they see my hair! Not sure if it's the fineness or what... But yeah, I've noticed fine straight hair shows damage like no other, maybe that's why? They're used to seeing fineheads who've heat styled their hair to death? But I've always been too lazy to style and never brush it wet, so it's doin' fine!

racrane
September 27th, 2011, 11:44 AM
My hair is very fine. I do have a lot of it, though. But I have to be more careful than most with how I treat my hair. It shows every bit of damage. But with TLC it looks just fine. get it? :D

MissManda
September 27th, 2011, 08:45 PM
My hair is fine, but even though it is quite thick, I've still had hairdressers and others make comments that it either wouldn't grow long or that it wouldn't look good long at all.

Up until I was about twelve years old, I had hair that would grow between BSL and hip/tailbone length (not sure which since I don't remember) and with only a couple of exceptions I got nothing but compliments on it because it was so healthy. I remember when I went to get my hair chopped off into a chin-length bob/wedge/undercut thingy, the stylist assigned to me didn't want to cut it off and asked several times if I really did want to cut off two feet of hair.

Then after I had my hair cut, I started to get told that it would be totally impossible for my hair to grow back to that length and healthiness ever again. That one never made sense to me at all. :confused:

I've considered going back to visit my old stylist to show her just how "stringy" my hair actually is now that I have learned the LHC way and have gotten rid of the things and habits that make my hair look bad. :rolleyes:

Brotherewolf
September 27th, 2011, 10:51 PM
Have you ever been told by a hairdresser your hair was too fine to grow long but proved them wrong??

I have fine hair .. I had them below waist between 21 and 31 yo now I keep them "short" like mid back i cut them shoulder length a few times they always come back:D

WinterButterfly
September 28th, 2011, 12:53 AM
I have fine hair. Most of the time growing up people thought I had thin hair because it was super straight (still is) and my sisters hair looked thicker. Well when you have the same ponytail width as someone with super wavy hair, yours is going to look thin next to theirs. Well now that I don't live near my sis everyone tells me how thick my hair is and how big my pony tail or braid looks. I actually think I have more hair than my sis. A lot of people think that all fine hair is easily damaged. It isn't true. It takes a lot of bad treatment to damage my hair. Basically I would have to give up common sence to damage it bad. Fine hair can grow long and look nice. I have seen thin fine hair on this sight that iwish I had.

templeofvenus
September 28th, 2011, 01:34 AM
thanks for all your comments! it has given me inspiration my hair is now collarbone length and fine but having given up heat stying etc I now see it is quite wavy! I just hope that I can manage to have the mid back hair that I would like.

I was told by hairdressers in the past (more than one by the way)oh your hair looks best bobbed at chin level its fine and will look straggly past shoulder length!! comments like that get in your mind and take some shaking off and you start to doubt that it looks ok when it gets longer and you haven't been for the usual trims etc.

I think the main thing for fine hair to stay strong is getting away from the heat styling and getting used to having "your own" hair with waves etc!!!!

WinterButterfly
September 28th, 2011, 02:51 AM
Wavy fine thin hair can still look pretty thick. Rocking your natural wave is a great way to avoid damage! I avoid heat styling like I avoid ten candybars a day every day. Heat every day is just too much.

BittSweetCherry
September 28th, 2011, 04:22 AM
I've been told by 'friends' and family that fine hair can't grow long, and I've heard hairdressers exclaim it in general a fair bit, but I've never used the same hairdresser more than twice.

I can think of a plausible reason why hairdressers might say that, though, given my own experience: fine hair has a tendency to go limp and straggly, and thin AND fine hair really shows it. When I had short hair the solutions presented to me were always to style it to death with a ton of product, which admittedly made it look good on a day-by-day basis but meant every morning started with a bad hair day. As (my) fine hair is pretty fragile to begin with, the amount of chemical and mechanical damage required to keep it looking good would make the dream of long, beautiful hair almost impossible.

Hairdressers probably see these people - the ones who straighten or curl daily with wax, hairspray, mousse and/or shine serums; whose fine, limp hair can't handle the build-up and need constant washing with clarifying shampoo; whose hair is significantly damaged in the short time between visits to the hairdresser who they turn to for advice and a trim to keep the splits and tangly ends at bay.

I can understand my significant taper would not clear the bar for the style conscious, but that's not the same as being in poor condition or 'unable' to grow it long. That's just a function of my shed cycle, and it's up to me where I declare it to be too thin and cut it. The hair itself can reach a significant length before shedding -it just needs a hell of a lot of TLC to let it get there.

Kapri
September 28th, 2011, 05:09 AM
I have been told all my life how fine my hair is. It recently made it to collar bone length but didn't look good because of shorter layers creating a thin effect + I am still dealing with over frequent hair dyeing + I have a long/oblong face and it isn't as flattering to me worn straight down.

That said, if I didn't colour it or used gentler products which is the plan as I begin to grow out the dark brown, and if I thought it looked good with my face shape, I reckon I could get it to bsl.

torrilin
September 28th, 2011, 07:06 AM

I have had stylists exclaim (a lot) over how fine my hair is. It is very rare for a stylist to not mention it. The split ends get a lot of exclamations too. The stylists who know what they're doing find it horrifying how easily my hair splits and gets damaged. I've been on a heat free routine for around 15 years at this point, and even so... my hair splits.

I haven't ever had a stylist tell me I can't grow my hair long, because it'd be patently false. Very few stylists ever see me with hair shorter than APL, and in stylist land that's long. Usually it's BSL. And well, if your hair is BSL, clearly getting to waist is doable if you're patient enough. I'd tend to say for stylist land, waist would be the line between regular long and ridiculously long.

But I'm not the sort to dream of knee without already having fingertip length hair. So generally all a stylist knows is that I want longer hair than I have at present, and that I am fanatical about keeping the split ends down because splitty hair makes me miserable. Oh, and I turn into a firebreathing dragon if they even mention a hairdryer.

lillikins
September 28th, 2011, 07:09 AM
I've had a lot of people tell me I didn't need to be trying to grow my hair, since it would just get damaged and fried and I'd have to just cut it all off. xD They were wrong apparently.

BabyRay33
September 28th, 2011, 09:00 AM
I heard this quite a bit. My mother has thinner hair than me though, and her's hovered between waist and TB when I was a child.

When my parents divorced, and I lived with my father, my paternal grandmother made short (bob) work of my longer hair that reminded them of my mother's. They told me that it was thin and it looked bad long, and said that it was a horrible color. So I let them cut it. It spiraled into my dying it by 13 and I kept doing that until last November when I had my last chemical color and chop.

Anything is possible. Don't let other people who don't have any interest in your hair besides making money or nasty comments deter you!