PDA

View Full Version : It's All your fault..

melissa8989
September 26th, 2011, 07:43 PM
That I'm going to cosmetology school! After three years of lurking and a little active participation :D. I have been on here almost everyday for at least an hour for a few years now, and thanks to all the lovely brain washing i start on October third! A big happy cheese dance of thanks to you all :cheese:.

embee
September 26th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Well good luck with school. :) You will be able to help the longhairs that come to you for trims - at least *you* will know what we mean! You can specialize, that will be a treat for longhairs.

ange1ito
September 26th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Good for you, wishing you success at school.

melissa8989
September 26th, 2011, 08:35 PM
Thanks! Yeah it's unfortunate, I have been told by other hair dressers that there is no money to be made it actual hair care or up dos and the like, and that its all about high maintenance colors, heat styling and pixie cuts :rolleyes:. I have a sad suspicion that they were not that far off.. I might be a little to honest for big money though, i don't think i would have the heart to take chemically treated, dyed black hair to blonde without telling them what was in store for their hair, and how long/ how many times I would need to lighten it. I would probably end up discouraging people. Ha, oh well, it will be an adventure ;)

racrane
September 26th, 2011, 09:11 PM
Well, there are enough people who want to really take care of their long hair and go to good stylists that within a few years, you could make quite the business. Good luck! :)

UltraBella
September 26th, 2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks! Yeah it's unfortunate, I have been told by other hair dressers that there is no money to be made it actual hair care or up dos and the like, and that its all about high maintenance colors, heat styling and pixie cuts :rolleyes:. I have a sad suspicion that they were not that far off.. I might be a little to honest for big money though, i don't think i would have the heart to take chemically treated, dyed black hair to blonde without telling them what was in store for their hair, and how long/ how many times I would need to lighten it. I would probably end up discouraging people. Ha, oh well, it will be an adventure ;)

What you have been told is absolutely true. You make the most money off of color, foiled highlights, high maintenance haircuts. That is what the majority of women are looking for. From a business standpoint, you need to give the clients what they are requesting to make money. From a personal standpoint, there is nothing wrong with a nudge is a gentler, healthier direction. Most clients will not listen though.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me. Enjoy school !

lastnite
September 26th, 2011, 09:32 PM
good luck.. it was a career I considered a long time ago, but somehow the fear of having someone else's hair in my hands and one slip up and I could mess up made me change my mind. How I'm more confident in nursing or dental and possibly having someone's life in my hands I don't know, lol... but that's what I decided to go for.

and about the not taking someone from black to blonde... not to scare you, but someone on here posted (I'll have to look for the post) how they sued and won a lawsuit against a hairdresser for the damage from bleaching that ruined her hair.. it was a long thread, I didn't read all the details...but if it's that drastic and you know there's a good possibility someone's hair could be ruined, it might not hurt to tell them.

julierockhead
September 26th, 2011, 09:44 PM
Congratulations on going to school! I hope you make it through in record time.

About the whole making money thing. I think if you bill yourself as a longhair/natural hair care expert, you can attract your own type of clientele and find a niche. While you are in school, consider researching and learning about small business, and how to get government loans and grants to start one. I know if I could go to a salon that would do dustings, properly comb and brush, and was set up for washing and conditioning and caring for long hair, I would so go there to pamper myself. If you live near a populated area, you might even have many LHCers who would immediately flock around...

Elia
September 26th, 2011, 10:00 PM
That's awesome! It's good that someone who knows what they're doing (I'm assuming from all that you've read) is going to help sort out all the circulating BS in the cosmetology world :P

Melanie Marie
September 27th, 2011, 01:32 PM
That's so great!!! :cheese:

Hope you have a lot of fun!

BabyRay33
September 27th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Good for you on making the decision!

In regards to making money, UB is right. Most people WANT highlights and bleaching and all that. I dont think there is any harm in giving someone what they want. You just have to see their hair as theirs, and they are paying you to make it into something else. You could also use your hair as the way to teach the hair health lesson.

"Oh, thanks for the compliment, I actually use no silicones on my hair, that's why it is so moisturized that it is this long. If you're interested, I can tell you more about it..."

melissa8989
September 27th, 2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks you guys :), Yes I actually did read the lawsuit thread, I think there have been a few actually. Which is partially why I would tell them but mostly I would have to say something because you couldn't pay me enough to wreck something like hair that so connected to many peoples confidence, love life, pride ect.. Of course I would give them what they asked for, but if i felt the condition of their hair was to the point where it couldn't withstand what they were asking me to do for them "like it falling out or melting" I would have to refuse. God knows I have done some serious things to my own hair.. scalp scabs and blood comes to mind " I was 14 and trying to go from blue black to blue white :rolleyes:" and would never wish it on anyone else. I do think the dyes an heat styles will be fun for me as well though because I like seeing people happy and nothing fixes going through an emotional time like a great new look and a friendly relaxing salon visit. At least for me anyway.

islandboo
September 27th, 2011, 05:48 PM
Congratulations and best of luck to you!