PDA

View Full Version : Two questions, and a rant...

PoliticalPilot
September 26th, 2011, 10:06 AM
First, I'm wondering if some people's hair just can't "do" CO-washing? I've tried and tried, different ways and different conditioners. It just doesn't seem to be as soft and clean no matter what I do--but if I use a natural shampoo, it turns out so lovely. (And could I add a little bit of shampoo to my conditioner so I'm still only using 1 product? Or would I still have to re-condition after I used the conditioner/shampoo mix?)

Second, I'm wondering what to do for a hairstyle for a wedding? My hair is a bit longer than BSL, and I'm flying to a wedding (with only a carry-on bag). I'd like to put it up most of the time I'm there, but assume I can't carry on hair sticks or forks. And then for the wedding, I'll be in a very formal bridesmaid dress. Maybe a crown braid?

And the rant is my hair seems to have quit growing. I haven't measured, but I keep seeing how long it is in relation to my bra, and it seems to keep being the same length. I am just a couple inches from waist and want to get there so badly!!! :cheese::cheese::cheese: At this rate, it feels like I will be 60 before it reaches my knees (goal length...). And I'm not even 30 yet.... :D

ladyfey
September 26th, 2011, 10:20 AM
I could never CO. What works for others may not work for you. My hair is just past knee and I shampooed every day until this year, now I do it every other day. Works for me, no problems. My hair is in great shape, I don't use any heat or color on it.
As for feeling stuck length wise. I always hate between bra-strap and waist length, it feels like it takes forever for me while it is in that no-man's land. Maybe it is the same for you :) I find once I hit waist, it seems like it really starts moving again. Hope it starts to really go for you soon, and do what your hair likes. :)

BelleBot
September 26th, 2011, 10:22 AM
I've never had a problem with hair sticks or forks on airplanes, just make sure you keep them in your hair and try use wooden or plastic ones not metal. After all you're allowed to take knitting needles on aircraft. :)

Some people don't get on with CO washing and that's fine don't beat yourself up about it. Just use whatever you feel happiest with, shampoo is perfectly fine to use.

As for the growing, you've probably just hit a stall for a couple of months. Try not to worry about it, it'll pick up again soon enough. I just try and ignore my hair for a few months then measure as then I see a clear difference as opposed to measuring all the time when there is hardly a difference at all.

Have a lovely time at the wedding. :)

spidermom
September 26th, 2011, 10:23 AM
I don't know what to tell you about style, but I didn't like CO either. If I do it once, the results are lovely. If I do it twice in a row, my hairs looks o.k., maybe a little limp. The third time I do it in a row, I might as well not bother because it will look like I don't ever wash it.

As for not growing, get a patterned shirt (horizontal stripes are nice) and have a picture done about once a month or every other month. You will probably see results.

SpinDance
September 26th, 2011, 10:26 AM
I couldn't 'do' CO washing until I stopped using cones, now it works great, so long as I use the a nice, light, conditioner. I also dilute the 'washing' conditioner 2 or 3 parts water to 1 part conditioner and use that on my head. I use either diluted or full strength conditioner on my ends and length, depending on how it's feeling.

That said, there is nothing wrong with using shampoo. If you do best with CWC, then by all means, do that. :) We are all different, and our hair reacts to things like it reacts to things. And those reactions can change over time, just to keep things 'interesting'.

For wedding hair, I like crown braids. One ponytail holder, 3 hair pins and I'm good to go. A few silk flowers or sparkly pins can be festive, too. I have not had any trouble traveling with hair sticks or forks, either in my carry on bag/backpack or in my hair. I usually wear one and have a few more with me. They are small and light, so don't take much more than care not to let them get broken.

Do you know whether your hair has seasonal stalls? Some do. Or, if you don't think it could be seasonal, are you getting breakage from old damage? You already know that heat styling, dye or other such stuff can result in breakage, so I'll just recommend reading the article about damage hair in the Articles section.

Best of luck!

Anje
September 26th, 2011, 10:41 AM
Not everyone can CO, just like not everyone can use a given product. It's really about what works best for you. Furthermore, it may change as your hair changes or if your water source changes. You never know.

Besides, if your hair is lovely with your sulfate-free shampoo, why try to improve on lovely? You could try blending some conditioner and shampoo if you wish -- report back and tell us how it goes and what ratios you use if you do. I suspect you'll occasionally want to clarify if you do this, since it won't be as cleansing, but that's not the end of the world.

I think you can fly with hairsticks, especially wooden ones. Wear them in your hair through security. (I recommend flying with hair in a low braid, though, so you can lean back comfortably. You can take the sticks out and put them in your bag on the other side of security.) If you want to be safe, don't take your favorite, most irreplaceable ones, and bring a self-addressed, postage-paid mailing envelope (https://www.usps.com/ship/priority-mail-flat.htm?) in your carry-on so that if security gives you trouble, you can back out of line, put the sticks in the envelope, and mail them home.

For the wedding: Crown braids are gorgeous, but they take practice to do well. If you can't do one well consistently, plan on something lower-stress. Chances are you may have your hair put up by someone else anyway. In that case, be firm about no backcombing, and plan on doing a thorough wash to get all the spray and stuff out before you comb it afterward.

Hair likes to stall a bit above waist. I'm not sure why, but it seems like a place where it often stops growing no matter how well the person is handling it. Mine got stuck there for about 5 months, then spurted downward so that I still got something like 6 or 7 inches of growth that year. Not everyone's hair grows steadily, either. Some have hair that sprints and rests.

racrane
September 26th, 2011, 11:09 AM
I can't do only CO. I alternate every other day with CO and CWC. That way, I don't look so greasy but I get more moisture which is nice. Whatever works. Everyone is different.

I'm sorry I can't help you with the wedding. :(

archel
September 26th, 2011, 11:15 AM
I can't do CO, no matter if the conditioner is cone free and lightweight, I end up looking like I never wash my hair. My hair is just too fine for it to work.

BlazingHeart
September 26th, 2011, 01:49 PM
CO and I don't get along, either. My hair always ends up looking...clumpy, and less glossy. And it feels yucky. I've tried a handful of different conditioners and ended up concluding that my hair wants to be shampooed.

~Blaze

Intransigentia
September 26th, 2011, 02:13 PM
CO is a no-go for me too. Of all things, my hair got DRY?!

My hair is currently in the mid-back abyss and driving me nuts too. I feel like it's growing because it keeps finding new ways if getting caught in things, but looking in the mirror compared to my bra strap, it looks about the same. All the pitfalls of it getting longer, except it doesn't look longer. :justy:

For wedding hair if it was me, I'd just stuff a wad of bobbypins and elastics in a pocket and see what happened the day of. If you can manage a crown braid, braided or roped, that's always lovely, but anything you can do involving multiple braids arranged and pinned interestingly is probably going to be sufficiently fancy.

Panth
September 26th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I've never had a problem with hair sticks or forks on airplanes, just make sure you keep them in your hair and try use wooden or plastic ones not metal. After all you're allowed to take knitting needles on aircraft. :)

Erm, depending on the airline, no, you are not allowed to take knitting needles onboard (in the hold, yes, on your person, no-no-no!).

PoliticalPilot
September 26th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Thank you for all the wonderful replies! I am glad I'm no the only one struggling with CO washing. I'm going to try adding in a bit of shampoo, since the results seem to be better for me.

It looks like for the airline I'll be using (Delta), I can take "knitting needles" on board. I will take them, and make sure I can get through security. If not, my husband will still be there so he can take them home. :-)

I think I'll try a crown or lace braid (saw the idea on another thread here for wedding hairstyles--sooo pretty!!) for the day-of. Otherwise, I'll just keep using my normal styles--and hopefully my non-confiscated hairsticks. :-D

Khiwanean
September 26th, 2011, 06:20 PM
CO just doesn't agree with some people's hair. It works wonders for me, but not everyone's hair is the same. I think it's safe to assume your hair just doesn't like CO, with how hard you've tried to get it to work for you.

My first though was a bunned dutch or french braid, but a crown braid would be lovely too.

You've probably just hit a stall. It's nothing to worry about, all of us have had one at some point or other.

jeanniet
September 26th, 2011, 06:34 PM
I used to be able to CO, and now I can't. I just end up feeling like there's a ton of buildup on my hair. It may very well have to do with my regular hair routine or my well water, I don't know. Just rest assured that it doesn't work for everyone!

mrs_coffee
September 27th, 2011, 03:38 AM
My hair was fine with CO washing for about a month and then got really heavy and oily feeling. So I went back to CWC with the occasional CO wash. My hair likes that much better.

Rhodugune
September 27th, 2011, 05:37 AM
On co-ing: when I just started, my hair felt just a bit to heavy and not really really clean, I've also tried alot of different brands with the same result.

But since I started to use ACV in my last rince, it started to look and feel great.
More shiny, clean and light.

I use one part applecidervinegar and 4 parts water and rince my hair in the sink.

If you haven't tried it, I really recommend it, before you give up CO.
It really made all the difference to my hair.

Rhodugune
September 27th, 2011, 05:42 AM
I forgot this pic:
This is before and a month after I stared using ACVrinces.
http://archive.pixbox.se/arkivet/synligt_38/32720000-32729999/640x480/32727811.jpg (http://www.pixbox.se/pic32727811)

I think my hair looks so much better.