PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Help!!

missnell
September 26th, 2011, 09:05 AM
Okay, I might be alittle slow or just plain can not figure it out. I can't tell if my hair needs moisture or protein. I read the information on how to tell the difference and I still can't. When I wash my hair if I dont condition it there is no way you could get your fingers thru it much less a comb. I thought maybe that meant it was just really dry. So I did a SMT I think thats what you call it. I used 1 cup conditioner VO5, 1/4 cup honey, 1/4 cup aloe, and 1 tbsp coconut oil and left it on for 2 hours and rinsed it out I didnt wash it again. Later that day after it dried it was so oily feeling. THe next day I went and bought the Fructis Triple Nutrition shampoo and Conditioner and tried this . My hair still feels really greasy except on the ends and they feel like straw. I guess it would help if I told you about my hair I do use chemical color only on the roots when they grow out I dont color the whole head. My roots are oily and the rest seems alittle dry. Hair is kinda thick and straight for the most part. I guess it could have alot to do with age at this point too. Can someone please help. I would appericate it so much.

Mairéad
September 26th, 2011, 09:10 AM
Did you clarify your hair before doing all this? Oily roots and dry ends sounds like classic build up to me. (Are you using cones?) I'd take a deep breath, clarify your hair, let it dry, and then see if needs protein or moisture. If your hair feels gummy and stretchy it needs protein and if it feels stiff and brittle it needs moisture. If your hair feels great after clarifying it means you had build up.

SpinDance
September 26th, 2011, 09:20 AM
I find that Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition can be too heavy on my hair and make it feel oily. Also, you added oil to SMT. I don't believe the original recipe called for any oil. A tablespoon is a lot to only rinse out.

As Mairéad mentioned, you could have build up. Also, you don't mention your usual routine. While it is so tempting to try lots of things looking for a magic formula to make ones hair perfect, unfortunately we are all different, so it is best to take it very slow, make one change at a time, and keep records of the results over several weeks. Even a product or change that seems like it's perfect the first time you use it may or may not still feel so great after 2 or 3 weeks.

I suggest going through the Articles section, particularly the newbie advice articles, several times and start keeping track of what you do and how it works for you. I've been at it for over 2 years now and while I've learned a huge amount about what my hair likes and doesn't like, I'm still not done figuring out what my final routine is going to be!

missnell
September 26th, 2011, 09:29 AM
Yes, I did my best to clarify. I used shampoo and baking soda before smt. Maybe to much oil and I guess the new shampoo and conditioner with oil didnt help much. What is a good shampoo and conditioner to use that doesnt have cones in it?

Cassie 123
September 26th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Ok, so it looks like the Triple Nutrition shampoo has silicone in it, though the conditioner does not. Here is my advice:

1. Get a bottle of Suave Clarifying and wash all of your hair, root to ends, twice. Don't use baking soda.

2. Put on lots of your Triple Nutrition conditioner. Don't add any extra oil, but you can add honey and aloe if you want; it's not necessary. But use a wide-toothed comb to make sure every hair is thoroughly coated. Let it sit for 15 minutes in a shower cap or plastic bag (put a warm hat or heat cap on over that if you have one). Rinse thoroughly.

Don't use the Suave Clarifying again the next time you wash; this is just to give you a clean start. Or if you do use it again, dilute it and only use it on your roots.

This should put your hair in a somewhat normal state and should be a good starting point to figure out how much oil you can start adding or if you need to switch to a lighter conditioner.

jojo
September 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM
Ok, so it looks like the Triple Nutrition shampoo has silicone in it, though the conditioner does not. Here is my advice:

1. Get a bottle of Suave Clarifying and wash all of your hair, root to ends, twice. Don't use baking soda.

2. Put on lots of your Triple Nutrition conditioner. Don't add any extra oil, but you can add honey and aloe if you want; it's not necessary. But use a wide-toothed comb to make sure every hair is thoroughly coated. Let it sit for 15 minutes in a shower cap or plastic bag (put a warm hat or heat cap on over that if you have one). Rinse thoroughly.

Don't use the Suave Clarifying again the next time you wash; this is just to give you a clean start. Or if you do use it again, dilute it and only use it on your roots.

This should put your hair in a somewhat normal state and should be a good starting point to figure out how much oil you can start adding or if you need to switch to a lighter conditioner.

you beat me to it! I second this advice! BS should stand for something else if you get my drift; i hate the stuff near my hair!

archel
September 26th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Oh man, I put shea oil in my first SMT and it was a disaster just like this! I would follow the great advice you got above - clarify well, and then try the SMT with just honey and aloe added.

missnell
September 26th, 2011, 11:39 AM
Thank you ladies for all your help and advice I really appericate it. I will try it and see what happens. Is there a shampoo out there that I can use that wont hurt my hair?

Mairéad
September 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM
What's your hair type and how often do you shampoo? I ask that because how frequently you wash can also cause oily roots and dry ends and the type of hair you have can really influence how easily dried out it can get.

Generally shampoos free of sulfates are more gentle and you could always dilute it in water as well. Lowering frequency will also help though it make take a bit of transitioning. Your hair sounds like mine when I washed with shampoo. The ends were brutalized but the scalp was pumping out oil like crazy.

ETA: Just read that your hair is thick and straight. So try diluting a sulfate-free shampoo from now on and see if that helps. Experiment with cones vs. no cone conditioners. It's a real toss up on what hair likes and you usually have to see to believe.

SpinDance
September 26th, 2011, 12:26 PM
There are lots of shampoos that work nicely. There is an article here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=218)that lists many things that aren't terribly expensive that have worked for folks. I'm in the middle of a CO-only experiment right now, but when I was using shampoo I always diluted it unless using oil shampoo. But oil shampoo is a whole different issue anyway.

Doesn't take much shampoo, and unless you are clarifying, you only need it on your scalp area anyway. Shampoo isn't damaging as such, it's more in how you use or misuse it.