PDA

View Full Version : So a started a new job working with fried food...

MicheleClaire
September 25th, 2011, 06:51 PM
...and the fryer emits oily smoke constantly.

My skin is breaking out and my entire body smells like french fries (especially my hair).

However, my hair looks AWESOME. Shiny, soft, manageable, fewer tangles. Isn't this weird?! I thought my hair would become stringy, greasy and gross looking.

I've never oiled my hair before, but I suppose this is similar? I can't imagine that nasty fast food oil would be anywhere near as beneficial as, say, coconut oil, but after I'm through with this campus job, I'll probably buy a bottle of the pure stuff.

I haven't been able to find any perfume or sprays to make it smell good, though. Washing my hair everyday isn't so good for my scalp, either.

Really wish I could find a decent face wash to help my new pimples, too (gross, I know). Biore salicylic just isn't cutting it.

My life is weird.

Vanilla
September 25th, 2011, 07:04 PM
My DH works in a factory with airborne oil because of their machines. He uses a scrub in addition to the biore cleanser and still gets blackheads.

I used febreeze on my long hair when it used to smell bad because of going to parties Where people smoked in college. Gross, I know, but it worked pretty well.

Mairéad
September 25th, 2011, 07:17 PM
You could try using clay masks to pull and soak some of that extra oil out of your skin. That may help with the break outs some. As for the hair maybe you can do something like a nice WO wash after a shift and try some essential oils for the smell?

julierockhead
September 25th, 2011, 09:59 PM
I would use an oil-free moisturizer applied thickly just for work it might help block the grease.

If you bun and cover your hair, it will help a lot.

Cassie 123
September 25th, 2011, 10:10 PM
I don't have any suggestions for the smell, but cutting way back on carbs does wonders for acne.

WinterButterfly
September 25th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I would probably wash my face during breaks and use an astringent around the trouble areas. I would also try to keep the face cooled down as much as possible. So if you use some ice on it then your pores have a chance to close back up. Was and cool off during breaks. Avoid wearing makeup around the frier. I used to work food. It can be quite rough for the skin. Another tip is to not eat the things you work with unless it is a simple food with veggies and no grease. Burgers and fries every day will take a toll on the skin. Even if it just a little.

oktobergoud
September 26th, 2011, 01:39 AM
What about co-washing? It might not make your hair squeaky clean, but it will make it smell better (at least that works for my hair), specially when you have a conditioner that is heavily scented! I assume you have to wear it up anyway?

I always break out but specially when I sometimes have to work with fried food, so I feel your pain! I already use a special face wash (and day cream, toner!) for oily skin twice a day. I'd suggest looking into one (I like the Tea Tree line from the Body Shop, for instance! :))

gretchen_hair
September 26th, 2011, 07:22 AM
For the smell, I would try making a concoction of the oil of your choice or conditioner of your choice with some BPAL (perfumes made from essential oils) or some Essential Oils added in.

I would put a few drops on my hands, distribute through hair and arrange into a bun. Cover hair completely with a Buff/Bun Cover/Scrub Cap/Bandanna/Scarf/etc.

If they won't allow total hair coverage, try covering the bun, that way most of the hair is contained and won't absorb 100 percent of the smell.

I would also spritz my covering with a mix of water and essential oils before I put it on, that will also trap the good smells and hopefully repel some of the funkiness.