PDA

View Full Version : Dark Brown to "Bright" Orange (Cassia+Henna?)

Tennessee Rose
September 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM
Hello everybody!

Right now I am a bit bored with my hair as ,like most of you, I'm waiting to achieve my goal lenght. But I want to enjoy a bit more the journey so I would like to dye my hair.

My first option (and the easy one) is to dye it black. As I have tried before and it looks cool.

But I have always kind of loved redhead orange, and I know that blond girls can achieve easily that colour through henna. But what happens with brunnettes? I have thought about the posibility to mix cassia and henna to achieve the color, but maybe there is another mix which is more suitable for that results. And here I have some questions about it:

-Did anyone tried it before?
-Can this mix cause any damage?
-Would you mix it with other stuff such as lemon juice or whatever to give a better result?

Any other questions related to the theme are welcome. And so are answers of course!

Thank you!

spidermom
September 25th, 2011, 02:45 PM
Since henna can't lighten, I imagine you would end up with a dark auburn color that might have red-orange highlights in the sun.

Tennessee Rose
September 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM
Yeah that is how it looked using straight henna (I used to dye my hair with henna long ago, just forgot to mention) But it was not a natural color, it looked weird. So I wonder if cassia will do the trick (mixed with henna).

jaine
September 25th, 2011, 03:01 PM
You would have to bleach it first to get orange.

silverjen
September 25th, 2011, 03:04 PM
Think of henna and cassia as being deposit-only dyes. They don't change your original color,they only add to it. I believe henna + cassia will give you more or less the same results as henna alone did.

As a brunette, the only way to get bright red hair with henna is to bleach first.

Tennessee Rose
September 25th, 2011, 03:06 PM
You would have to bleach it first to get orange.

I bleached once too! After using heena + indigo. My ends turned green, my hair white blond like the kids from "The village of the damned".

So, bleaching is not in the plan. I only look for natural non-damaging options.

Mairéad
September 25th, 2011, 03:29 PM
If your hair is naturally dark you will not get bright orange. Cassia cannot lighten. It's usually used to dilute henna mixtures or used alone to make blonde tones on gray hair. If applied on dark hair it will not result in copper. How dark of brown are we talking about? Like almost black?

Tennessee Rose
September 25th, 2011, 03:39 PM
If your hair is naturally dark you will not get bright orange. Cassia cannot lighten. It's usually used to dilute henna mixtures or used alone to make blonde tones on gray hair. If applied on dark hair it will not result in copper. How dark of brown are we talking about? Like almost black?

Like this:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=6012

I think i'll stay natural or go for a hendigo try :(

Mairéad
September 25th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Yes, I think you could get an auburn on that color but not copper. If you choose to do anything with henna, make sure you really, really want to. Because more likely than not the stuff will not be coming out. :)

jaine
September 25th, 2011, 06:23 PM
I bleached once too! After using heena + indigo. My ends turned green, my hair white blond like the kids from "The village of the damned".

So, bleaching is not in the plan. I only look for natural non-damaging options.

Leave the indigo out next time... that's why it was green.
Henna by itself on blonde hair ...that will be orange. (or henna + cassia)
With dark hair the most you could get is a kind of orange glow in sunlight, but your hair would still be dark.

Tennessee Rose
September 26th, 2011, 02:25 AM
Thank you for your answers.

I think I'll be back to black...but by now i'll wait.

Hotrox
September 26th, 2011, 03:17 AM
you could spend a little time lightening it with honey or cinnamon first and then try using the henna, this may give you a more orange effect without the bleach damage.