PDA

View Full Version : Literally starting from scratch!

merseaone
September 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I now have 2 inches of hair :cheese: but what I want to know is info on how to grow my hair long without going insane over crazy hair! I am no longer blonde - I am salt and pepper (black, silver, gray, and white) and it seems to be curly.

HELP!

Mairéad
September 25th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Really growing hair should be little fuss. The less you do to it, the better. It will have its days, especially before you can put it up. But, once you can put it up, forget it. I'm into benign neglect.

I've been growing out short hair and the most frustrating thing will probably be how unevenly it grows out.

If it seems wavy/curly than have a look around for wavy and curly threads. But without more info on your hair and what you're already doing/what you feel like needs changing to it I couldn't really help with routines or products.

kyandii
September 25th, 2011, 02:14 PM
Have you read Igors Guide to those who are starting over from very short http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=58 :)

spidermom
September 25th, 2011, 02:19 PM
Short was so easy for me. Wash, rake back with lightly gelled fingers, go!

MsBubbles
September 25th, 2011, 02:30 PM
It's good to see you! I like your new 'do! Your hair looks like it's coming in really thick, and I love your natural color. I have no idea what to advise you about crazy hair but I'd enjoy the no-fuss-ness about your current length, if it were me.

merseaone
September 25th, 2011, 03:37 PM
Have you read Igors Guide to those who are starting over from very short http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=58 :)

Great article! Thank you!

julierockhead
September 25th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Wow, the salt and pepper really makes your blue eyes pop. Hope you keep it.:)

Ermine
September 25th, 2011, 10:39 PM
Hi. Love the grey hair. Looks great on you! Hope mine turns out that way when I'm older. I'm a few inches ahead of you in the quest for longer hair and here are a few things that come to mind:

- stock up on hair accessories. Even at your length you can play around with headbands and barettes to mix things up. And they're very good at keeping my bangs out of the way now that they refuse to go sideswept now.
- embrace the messy look. Really, it's the only option without heat styling.
- have a hairstyle game plan for various lengths along the way. It's something to look forward to before your final length goal and keeps you feeling good about your hair in the meantime
- Try to stay away from the heat styling, even when it gets long enough to be out of control. Growth is very precious at this length so the fewer split ends and the fewer trims the better.
- Check out the super shorties thread. It's a great support group for growing out short hair.
- to mullet or not to mullet? It's definitely important to decide whether you want length even if it looks like a mullet or if you'd rather trim the mullet and have it all one length even if it means short hair for longer. I'm personally trimming out the mullet. I've been trimming the back myself for a few months now and it's finally starting to look all one length, excluding bangs and a couple shorter layers at the crown.