PDA

View Full Version : Mini Mullet Hell Stage...help

Columbia River
September 25th, 2011, 01:49 PM
I've grown my Pixie into the mini mullet stage, I'm keeping it in a headband but I just want to get past this stage!!! Encouragement or inspiration?

However by being at LHC the past month, I'm learning new health and habits for my hair. Im loving how it feels.

Mairéad
September 25th, 2011, 01:59 PM
I periodically trim the mullet part up a little. Just enough so it isn't flipping out. I mean, that thing has to come off anyway so I just trim it up as I see fit. My hair grows like a weed though and my mullet is already coming back. And I was so happy when I got the stupid thing taken off. :rolleyes:

Can you make a half pony tail yet? If you can you can either bobby pin the piece at the neck (the ones that cause the mullet effect) or just leave them down like a half-do.

Columbia River
September 25th, 2011, 02:05 PM
Not yet, but I'll keep this in mind...thank you.

doodlebug66
September 25th, 2011, 02:07 PM
I will be there soon, Month -n a half growing out a pixie, and mine grows fast. Keep doing what you are doing, and trim like Mairead said and you will get through this stage. Good Luck.

HairFaerie
September 25th, 2011, 03:36 PM
This stage sucks but just be patient...it doesn't last forever.
I grew from pixie and trimmed the back a little during this stage to avoid the full on mullet look. But, if you chose not to trim, that's OK, it will eventually grow out and won't be a mullet anymore! :)

Libbylou
September 25th, 2011, 05:01 PM
I sure hope it doesn't last too long. Right now I am pulling the front shorter pieces up with a barrette or clip. Other wise it really looks like a mullet.

Columbia River
September 25th, 2011, 05:16 PM
Thank you all so much. Yep, I'm going to try and not trim until next July, my hair with what I'm learning at LHC can do no trims for a year...I want some length!!! and then I'll reexamine my trim times. ;)

celebriangel
September 25th, 2011, 05:25 PM
You could try some of our favourite LHC lotions and potions to help your hair grow that little bit faster just until you can get it all in a pony. Castor oil, vitamins and exercise, monistat...

Monistat - though I wouldn't myself - should be much easier to do on pixie-length hair, it definitely works, and given that it's supposed to be applied on very delicate skin it won't harm you. Check out the monistat thread.

I used to do castor oil treatments etc, but my hair is now BSL and I'm not as obsessive about growth as I once was. Don't worry, you'll get there!

Columbia River
September 25th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Thank you for the advice, I'm taking biotin, biosil, b complex, a multi, omega 3 and D3...I hope that will help. I'm intrigued by the monistat concept...but I haven't brought myself to use cooter cover cream yet...when it's stopped would there be a big shed?

Talma
September 25th, 2011, 08:45 PM
i used Monistat for a couple of weeks and stopped. There was no shedding but I hadn't been using it for long either. I was applying it about 3 times a week. I tried it 50/50 with water and applying the cream directly to the scalp also.

For the mini-mullet, I don't know how much of a length difference we're talking about but would setting the longer pieces on large rollers help? Just to kind of curl it under and making it look shorter? Or setting your entire head in curls may work for you. When I first got my big chop, my hair was BUTCHERED! My left side was a good 3 inches shorter than the right and the top was the longest of all...and having kinky/curly hair that left me with an afro...but in the shape of a "high and tight". I cried for 2 days straight.

But once I was able to figure out how to put my hair in ringlets and I teamed that up with the magic of headbands I got nothing but compliments on my hair. Now, a little more than a year later, my hair has evened out all over. The back is still a couple inches longer than the rest but I refuse to cut in until my entire length reaches waist length which will probably be next year. Give it a try. If your hair isn't long enough for regular rollers, you can also try straw setting it (using actual drinking straws) or perm rods.

Columbia River
September 25th, 2011, 09:18 PM
Anyone here used the cooter cream treatment? (monistat 2%) how do you apply, did it work for you? Still using? Why did you stop?

MrsGuther
September 25th, 2011, 11:43 PM
I've never had to deal with the awkward mullet stage, so I have no good words of advice, I can only send my well wishes and encouragement that if you stick it out and keep on growing it will make you so happy! :) Good luck to you!

WinterButterfly
September 26th, 2011, 12:06 AM
I remember the mullet stage. I've grown my hair past it more than once. I always tried to keep it in a hair tye. But it would frusterate me and I always cut it off. Then I regretted it. I think that the best way to go is to keep it pulled out of the way so you don't see it for a while. Once some of the stuff on top is past your ears it should stop looking mulletish. Bandanas are great. Lots of clips. Benign neglect is also a great choice. Keep it back and don't look at it much for 4 months. It will look abit different by that point in time.

Columbia River
October 1st, 2011, 10:25 PM
Thank you all for your advice. I have been using the Monistat for a week, might be my imagination, but it feels like it did grow a bit faster.

spidermom
October 1st, 2011, 10:31 PM
I had a trim every 6-8 weeks to keep my growing-out pixie shaped up around the edges. It really helped, although I still had a hellish awkward stage because my hair gets wide before it gets long.

Columbia River
October 3rd, 2011, 02:44 PM
IF I was a 15 year old boy who wanted to look like Justin Beiber...I'd have PERFECT hair...oh well, that's why I love my hairbands. Out of sight, out of mind. (not really ;))

Panth
October 3rd, 2011, 03:29 PM
For DBF, I just trimmed the back until the front caught up with it and it was more a bob than a mullet.

Also, in light of this:

Thank you for the advice, I'm taking biotin, biosil, b complex, a multi, omega 3 and D3...I hope that will help. I'm intrigued by the monistat concept...but I haven't brought myself to use cooter cover cream yet...when it's stopped would there be a big shed?

You might want to read this (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2011/01/biotin.html). Remember, health is more important than hair. :blossom:

mrs_coffee
October 3rd, 2011, 04:44 PM
I hate, hate, hate the mullet look. It drives me crazy, so I just chop off the mullety part. I cut it twice on my way from pixie to shoulder.

Columbia River
October 9th, 2011, 08:19 PM
My stylist gave me these words of wisdom in growing my hair out "trim once each season"... I can SO live with that...a natural reminder works for me...and it worked out that I'm right after the solstices and equinoxes.

duckhugger
October 9th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I just got my hair trimmed yesterday :) I am in that awkward mullet stage as well. Last time I cut it was the end of June. However the hairdresser that I had was actually growing her hair out as well!! So she understood where I was coming from. It looks and feels so much better after its been cut :D especially getting rid of that mullet part in the back that I had going on. Now I can neglect it for another four months and see where it is in February! Hurray :D

Mairéad
October 9th, 2011, 08:27 PM
I tend to trim twice a year right around the Equinox. In fall to get healthy ends to withstand winter and than again in Spring to freshen up after said winter, lol.

Columbia River
October 9th, 2011, 08:29 PM
I think I'm going to drop the biotin since I'm already taking a multi B. My biotin is only the lowest amount, but after reading the above link I do not think I need it.

Columbia River
October 9th, 2011, 08:32 PM
I'm not going to actually cut my mullet back off, but grow it out and have bottom layers for awhile. I want length first, then I'll go for blunt. I normally do it the other way around and never get the length.

hs_atreides
October 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I'm not going to actually cut my mullet back off, but grow it out and have bottom layers for awhile. I want length first, then I'll go for blunt. I normally do it the other way around and never get the length.

Smart move, recognizing your previous habits that didn't work for growing length. I also have decided to work with the mullety shag for the sake of length. I have used every kind of headband, scarf, bandana, pinned up, slicked back do I can think of.

I recently stopped using Monistat. I used it 2-3 weekly for about 2 1/2 months. I don't think I gained that much extra and I seemed to shed like crazy.

I hope it works for you! Lots of members have had extra growth and hopefully you will too! :)

Columbia River
October 10th, 2011, 10:15 PM
HS Astreides...we need a "Kicken it in Mullet City thread"...for us choosing to push the 1984 look.