PDA

View Full Version : Protecting shoulder length hair

PurusNox
September 25th, 2011, 12:20 PM
I was just wondering what is the best way to protect shoulder length hair. Having school really puts it through its paces with the elements and some idiots that always "rustle" up my hair (when I tell people not to touch my hair in a serious tone they seem to think i'm just joking). Any help would be brilliant :)

Kathie
September 25th, 2011, 12:23 PM
A simply pony-tail could help. Just remember to use soft/hair friendly ties.

PurusNox
September 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I was thinking about pony-tails, but they only stay in when my hair is slightly greasy at the moment. And I'm also thinking during school people would be tempted to take the hairband out.

Mutinous
September 25th, 2011, 12:26 PM
I'm at a few inches below shoulder. I tie mine up a lot. A bit of oil on the ends when they feel a bit dry helps out.

Hats, now we are heading into cooler weather could work.

Failing that, in terms of general protection, try to minimise heat stlying (hairdryer, straighteners etc.) and use a wide toothed comb for a detangling, not a hairbrush. Especially those ones with the bobble ends that rip through your hair.

Good luck!

PurusNox
September 25th, 2011, 12:34 PM
Oiling is one thing I need to get into. Hats are a no-go during school yet again (man school really seems to be stopping me keeping my hair at maximum healthiness lol).
I have not used ANY heat on my hair for over a month so i'm good on that one.

Mairéad
September 25th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Depending on how thick your hair is you may be able to do a simple braid. I could get mine braided at shoulder length. You could oil it so it stays put, same goes for pony tails. Just make sure to change up the location you make the base of the braid/ pony tail.

Kathie
September 25th, 2011, 12:37 PM
And I'm also thinking during school people would be tempted to take the hairband out. :disgust: How annoying! I forgot what a joy school can be.

Mairéad
September 25th, 2011, 12:41 PM
:disgust: How annoying! I forgot what a joy school can be.

I agree. I forgot. There was a girl on my school bus that would always pull my hair do's out when I had waist length hair. There was another girl who had a weave and she ripped it right out. I think she was an extreme though.

FrozenBritannia
September 25th, 2011, 12:44 PM
I was just wondering what is the best way to protect shoulder length hair. Having school really puts it through its paces with the elements and some idiots that always "rustle" up my hair (when I tell people not to touch my hair in a serious tone they seem to think i'm just joking). Any help would be brilliant :)

My hair is the same length, and I have been doing double french braids and then joining the tails, but I'm not sure if thats something you would be into. Have you thought of a half updo? I like the 3 braid one here: http://www.frannyslonghairstyles.com/halfups.htm

It's kind of lord of the rings ish, and while I suppose it wouldn't protect ALL of your hair, it might help?

This is kind of a weird idea, but you could do something like the 3 braid one above and then put all the unsed hair on the bottom into a sort of french twist just to tuck it away? Maybe? *sigh* it makes sense in my head...

PurusNox
September 25th, 2011, 12:46 PM
Hahaha, I think all of these suggestions will be better for when my hair is slightly longer. I've never done a braid in my life!! I'll have to get my sister to help me with those xD! But thanks for the help guys :D