PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read Paula Begoun for haircare?

hs_atreides
September 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM
I have been a fan of Paula Begoun (Don't Go Shopping For Haircare Products Without Me, Don't Go To The Cosmetics Counter Without Me) for some time now. Her books have been highly informative and helpful in finding skincare and haircare that actually works and can save you money. The way she explains what the ingredients are supposed to do, if they are in fact effective and if the formulations help the effectiveness has helped me keep my haircare simple.
It seems that what she has found coincides with a lot of what LHC members have also discovered.
I was just wondering if anyone here has read her books, used her information, and/or had any qualms with what she has to say.

Kapri
September 25th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I find her very helpful for cutting through all the confusing sales talk. She is big on careful handling of hair etc and not spending an arm and a leg on products. That said, she isn't against chemical dyes provided you are careful to avoid overlap between dye jobs. She isn't big on 'organic' versus the regular chemicals used in hair products either.

I think she is good for helping you save money in a very confusing market.

ktani
September 25th, 2011, 01:13 PM
I have several of her books and while I admire her advice on a number of things I found way back that I did not agree with many of her product choices.

She also states that no botanical can do as much as conventional products. I do not agree with that at all regarding catnip, which she does not address.

Overall I think that she is "right on" regarding many hair care issues and she is well refereced in much of her advice.

hs_atreides
October 1st, 2011, 09:35 AM
Great insight. I do agree that she shuns botanicals/natural ingredients maybe a bit unnecessarily.
What I really liked about her haircare approach was separating scalp and hair care. I struggled with an unhappy scalp for a couple of years and her advice helped get through that and now I have a scalp that is healthy and not irritated.
Overall, I have found more beneficial hair care on LHC than in her book.
THanks for sharing!

Carolyn
October 1st, 2011, 09:56 AM
I think her books are an interesting tool in learning about products and ingredients. But I take what she says with a HUGE grain of salt. She thinks "long" hair is around shoulder length. I don't think she has a clue about longer hair. I've looked up a lot of my holy grail, go to products in her books and she disses them for the very reasons I love them.

Delila
October 1st, 2011, 04:51 PM
... I've looked up a lot of my holy grail, go to products in her books and she disses them for the very reasons I love them.

This has been true for me too, and not always just about hair.

I remember years ago, Vincent Longo had some gloss pencils in their makeup line, and she just didn't get it. Lip gloss, in pencil form. Just not something she understood, so she dissed the concept.

Now, of course, they're not so uncommon. Haven't read about her opinions on the new ones, LOL!

MychelleC
October 1st, 2011, 04:53 PM
I love Paula Begoun. She is all about the ingredients. I listen to her blog radio show as well.

hs_atreides
October 2nd, 2011, 10:14 AM
I haven't had issues with haircare but she doesn' t give.my favorite mascara a decent rating. Hit and miss I suppose. But, some products don't matter as much--like spending less on mascara I love/she rates low and spending more on beta-hydroxy rated high. As for haircare, I don't think ever mentioned coconut oil, my absolute favorite find on LHC!