View Full Version : I'm in Texas

ssjhotau2
September 25th, 2011, 11:06 AM
Woohoo- and its been really fun and I'm here for a few more days.

BUT...my hair! My hair in California is very fine and soft and silky and only slightly wavy.
My hair in Dallas Texas so far has felt kinda heavy and sticky and I noticed it was more tangled and dull than usual- especially as I'd washed it the day before flying out here. So last night I washed it and OMG is my hair a mess of waves and the ends are curly and its tangled and feels almost sticky. I don't know what is wrong :(- maybe the humidity-

Help?

IndigoAsh
September 25th, 2011, 11:37 AM
lol, welcome to Texas! I have the same problem. Best way to fix your hair is to get out of this awful state.

Charybdis
September 25th, 2011, 11:47 AM
The humidity in DFW is actually really low right now due to the drought. Maybe a combination of the different mineral content of the water and sweating more during the day? When I sweat more it makes my hair much curlier.

ssjhotau2
September 26th, 2011, 10:40 AM
I don't know- the air here is definitely heavier than the air back home- but it hasn't been hotter so i'm not sweating more I don't think- but it doesn't evaporate instantly like at home so maybe...
It's finally starting to be manageable again though- I was able to get my tangle teezer through it this morning and get it into a bun- not like the last two days where I couldn't even finger comb it.

Crazy- I've been to Arizona, New Mexico, and Colorado and they didn't really have any impact on my hair.

Mrspuddinhead
September 26th, 2011, 02:14 PM
My hair is just the opposite. I'm originally from Alabama so my hair is accustomed to the humidity and seems to love it. Now I live in California and my hair doesn't like the dry air at all. Before I couldn't use conditioner because it always made my hair extremely oily. Now that I'm in California I have to double up on the conditioner to help with the dryness. Sorry I really have no advice to offer.

racrane
September 27th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Hmn, I have no advice to offer really, but I think hair becomes used to different climates just like our bodies get used to weather. I live in Wisconsin and now prefer cold over humidity. My hair does too. When I go down to Alabama to visit family my hair hates me and is unmanageable. I just put it up and try to forget about it.

But have fun in Texas!

ssjhotau2
September 27th, 2011, 08:41 PM
I took a picture of it on its most unmanageable day lol- I'm anxious to get home and post it :p this means I'm silly and possibly addicted to LHC.

I've been having lots of fun. I was looking forward to having long hair pictures taken at the botanical gardens- but because of my hair's temper tantrum that didn't work out. therefore I had to take pictures of just the gardens instead :D

I really like this city- more than I thought I would. More life and culture and youth than I am accustomed to

lillylonghair
September 27th, 2011, 08:56 PM
I'm from New jersey and I moved to Tx over a year ago. My hair has just not been the same. I think it's the different water. My hair is always dry and tangly. I almost never shampoo anymore b/c it just makes it work. I suggest clarifying and doing some kind of moisture mask or treatment.

WinterButterfly
September 27th, 2011, 10:17 PM
Even during droughts the dfw area is stil way humid, at least in my experience comparing it to the north west. It is also dustier. Your hair can get a lot of dust and dirt in it simply by walking out the door. I wouldn't worry if you are leaving in only a few days. It takes a while to adjust to the different hummidity and dust level. You will be back to normal after you are back home.

Clem_Dela
September 27th, 2011, 10:21 PM
I would say it's hard water, and sweat if you're out a lot. I would say humidity, but this with this drought i don't think that's it.

ssjhotau2
September 29th, 2011, 11:08 AM
I would say it's hard water, and sweat if you're out a lot. I would say humidity, but this with this drought i don't think that's it.

I think we have harder water where I live- I was actually thinking it was soft water since even my skin felt kinda slimy- but he insisted that they have hard water.
I think it was just a combination of different minerals in the water (heavy in lime and iron where I live) and the humidity.
Now that I'm home I can't wait for my shower today lol.

piratejenny
September 29th, 2011, 12:04 PM
I've never been to Texas (would love to go, though) but it does sound like a hard water issue. I am doing WO (well, I'm trying to transition to WO) and I'm acutely aware of the water quality wherever I go. Acidic rinses (one tablespoon of vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of water) work ok for me, using "Miracle Water" http://www.longhaircommunity.com/archive/showthread.php?t=51184 to wash works better. Good luck :silly:

ebba
September 29th, 2011, 12:25 PM
i noticed that too. i went to san antonio in febuary and it made my hair a mess of curls, but i liked it. when i went home it was depressing how deflated my curls got haha

ssjhotau2
October 5th, 2011, 09:48 PM
i noticed that too. i went to san antonio in febuary and it made my hair a mess of curls, but i liked it. when i went home it was depressing how deflated my curls got haha

I would have loved it if not for the sticky feeling and the complete unmanageable mess it turned into lol.
This was my hair the morning after I arrived-
http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h201/hamsterman0_0/CIMG7132.jpg

It has taken me a week, 2 moisture treatments, and 1 protein treatment to get my hair back to how it was before I flew out to Texas.