PDA

View Full Version : Light or Stay Dark?

BeccaAngel
September 25th, 2011, 10:59 AM
I am loving my darker hair color but after a while i might want a change, should I go lighter again once the time comes or just keep it dark and deal with it? I don't want to cause more damage but I don't want the same color all the time either. Perhaps i should get some wigs or colored extensions (not real extensions just like ones you can clip in and out) to change it up? what do you think?:)

spidermom
September 25th, 2011, 11:02 AM
I've long thought that keeping it natural was best - easiest anyway. Less damage, 0 color upkeep; no roots. I've changed it up a few times with something temporary but have used nothing permanent in my hair for more than 10 years.

clarinette
September 25th, 2011, 11:03 AM
I personally love your colour, really deep chocolate, it looks gorgeous. But knowing this won't help you if you get bored with it :p You will get a lot of compliments on your colour once it's really long, i'd like to be able to say "it's natural" if I were you....but again, it's just me!

ange1ito
September 25th, 2011, 11:28 AM
I'm like you, I have it dark but love wearing it lighter in summer. I have decided to put some clips in for the colour next year as I learnt the hard way bleaching after being dark does not do your hair any favours. You could also try having just the upper most layer of your hair done or have some highlights in so you are not killing all your hair!!!!

jaine
September 25th, 2011, 11:43 AM
I looked at your album ... I think lighter hair would look more natural on you and it would require less makeup to look balanced. In the shots where your face is visible I think the dark color washes you out since your eyebrows and eyes are so light. I think when people dye their hair darker they usually need some extra makeup to balance it out. Some eyebrow powder, dark eyeliner, and dark mascara would help make it look more balanced if you want to keep the dark hair.

SwordWomanRiona
September 25th, 2011, 11:58 AM
I personally think your dark hair looks awesome with your eyes and complexion :) (I've always loved how strikingly gorgeous dark/raven hair looks with a pale complexion). I don't think dark hair disagrees with your complexion or makes you 'washed-out' at all!
With dark hair, it can be difficult to try another shades without trying damaging chemicals, but you could always try the extensions you were talking about to begin with...And a semi-permanent dye wouldn't change your colour drastically, but it could bring out some different highlights...My Irish teacher has raven hair (naturally!), and she has used semi-permanent dyes which have given her chocolate-reddish highlights. And she has the darkest hair possible :), so you could give that a try if you want a little bit of change.

jaine
September 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Just to clarify, I didn't say that dark hair clashes with a pale complexion. I have dark hair and newspaper-white skin myself ... I like it quite a lot. :) But dark hair + light brown eyebrows + light brown eyelashes doesn't work so well. If her eyebrows and eyelashes were darker, it would look more natural and more balanced. Or if her hair were lighter, that would work too.

McFearless
September 25th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Wigs are always fun. I love your colour now and I don't think you should dye it.

growingpains
September 25th, 2011, 12:25 PM
I looked at your album ... I think lighter hair would look more natural on you and it would require less makeup to look balanced. In the shots where your face is visible I think the dark color washes you out since your eyebrows and eyes are so light. I think when people dye their hair darker they usually need some extra makeup to balance it out. Some eyebrow powder, dark eyeliner, and dark mascara would help make it look more balanced if you want to keep the dark hair.

Hmmm I totally disagree with this. I looked through the OPs albums and it is the shots with no apparent makeup and dark hair that I like the best! On an offside, I don't think we should ever tell anybody - especially not on a site like this that really promotes self acceptance - that they are not ok they way they are naturally.

Becca, you are gorgeous, your hair looks lovely at its new lengths and I personally prefer virgin hair on most everyone. I love the way undyed hair falls and the way light reflects off it. I also love that it is often unique with so many women trying to alter the way they look.

That said, it's your hair! I would encourage you to do whatever makes you happy, just be aware that going lighter on dark hair will most likely mean damage. Maybe you have particularly strong hair, but for most darkies going lighter will mean some degree of damage that may be problematic when trying to grow to long lengths. There are of course exceptions to that rule, many of whom are LHC members, and who can give you great advice about how to protect your hair before dying (strand testing, coconut oil applications before, etc)

Orangerthanred
September 25th, 2011, 12:53 PM
Keep it dark. I'm jealous of all the people with dark hair...

Lianna
September 25th, 2011, 12:57 PM
JBut dark hair + light brown eyebrows + light brown eyelashes doesn't work so well.

I have agree with this, my hair is dark now and does look kinda weird...when I tried to use mascara the roots were lighter, even more weird! :D I'm fine with being a little weird temporarily though!

OP: I think if you like to change things up, lighter would be better for you because you could easily do a temporary dark color when you want, and return to the light without damage. :)

jaine
September 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM
On an offside, I don't think we should ever tell anybody - especially not on a site like this that really promotes self acceptance - that they are not ok they way they are naturally.

I agree and I hope it didn't sound like I was criticizing anyone's natural appearance! on the contrary I thought I was recommending going back to her natural appearance with lighter hair. (Her eyebrow and eyelash coloring makes her look like a light-haired person ... I assumed her hair was dyed dark.)
But if she likes the dark hair and wants to keep it, there are ways to make that look natural too (by darkening her eyebrows and eyelashes).

LuciousLox
September 25th, 2011, 01:15 PM
I wouldn't lighten it, unless the color really bugs you.

I had my hair lightened to my natural color, and had to use bleach in the process... And that's why I'm dealing with all this damage and breakage now. My hair feels so gross, and just breaks off all the time. (To the point where I contemplate chopping it all over and starting fresh. :(

Aveyronnaise
September 25th, 2011, 01:20 PM
I agree and I hope it didn't sound like I was criticizing anyone's natural appearance! on the contrary I thought I was recommending going back to her natural appearance with lighter hair. (Her eyebrow and eyelash coloring makes her look like a light-haired person ... I assumed her hair was dyed dark.)

No OP's hair is dyed dark. Lighter could possibly be reachieved with color oops or color B4 ?

That said my DH has fairly dark chestnut hair and light eyebrows naturally , and it still looks weird to me at times.

Yame
September 25th, 2011, 01:30 PM
If you must lighten it, be sure you are careful and preferably do it naturally. There are threads here about ways to naturally lighten hair, for example using honey or cinnamon. If you are going to do it with chemical dyes, be sure to take it very slowly, and make sure you know there will be some damage. Any time you lighten hair there is damage, ESPECIALLY if your hair was dyed darker to begin with. But you can slowly lighten the dark color while growing your hair out to get back to your natural color, if you'd like.

Just take it SLOWLY and be patient... remember all the horror stories on here about people who darkened their hair and then decided to go back to a lighter color, only to have their hair destroyed by too many bleaching processes on the same day!

I like your hair dark, but IMO it's always best to go natural or close to natural, simply because it's low maintenance, less damaging, and easier to deal with. I dye my hair too, but it's just once a year because the color is so close to my natural color that the roots aren't noticeable to anyone but me, and I use a toner and not a harsh dye, but I am going to look for a more natural option than that in the near future.

Red Rapunzel
September 25th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I adore your rich dark chocolate hair color and I also like the way it contrasts with your fair skin. Why not first try your own idea of getting some extensions or clip-ons of different colors that can provide the look of highlighting from time to time. You could easily rearrange them or remove them as desired. Wigs are great fun too - as long as they are comfortable. I would not tamper in any way with your fabulous natural color.

BeccaAngel
September 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM
well thanks for your comments, I'm thinking of going more for the wig and clip in extensions for now. yes i know this isn't my natural color because you can see that my eyebrows are light brown but them not matching doesn't bother me one bit. Have a nice day :P

oktobergoud
September 25th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I vote for lighter! I think it will look nice with your complexion :)

Aveyronnaise
September 26th, 2011, 12:11 AM
I don't know if you saw my comment but you could try to use color oops , I've heard that it doesn't cause near as much damage as bleach.

Alex Lou
September 26th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I love dark hair. But I'm also an eyebrow Nazi, so I vote for lightening your hair to match if you don't want to darken your eyebrows.

Silly opinion? Yes, probably.

Mayflower
September 26th, 2011, 05:45 AM
I henndigo every month (which is a pain in the ass) to get your colour, it's absolutely gorgeous!

theodora
September 26th, 2011, 03:29 PM
Definitely try a colour remover if you want to go back to your natural colour. I died my hair a colour which I thought was going to be similar to mine and it was actually too dark and not the right tone at all so I removed it with Colour B4 (UK version of Colour Oops). No damage whatsoever, the only damageing side of it is that you have to rinse it for ages, but there's no bleach/peroxide in it so it won't alter the natural colour under it.

jojo
September 26th, 2011, 03:43 PM
I wish I suited darker hair and I think with a pale complexion is very snow white; beautiful.

robey
November 7th, 2011, 04:50 AM
I don't know if you saw my comment but you could try to use color oops , I've heard that it doesn't cause near as much damage as bleach.
Color oops is amazing!
I do advise the following however:
Do not leave it on up to 20 minutes as it states on the box unless you have to.
Understand your hair color will not show changed before you wash it out in most situations.
If you are going to recolor after Color Oops do use a protein filler, if not you will have hair that takes darker than it should be.
Get 3 shades light after the color oops and only leave it on for 5 mins, to avoid "grabbing" if you want to go darker then just re-dye your hair, because it is much easier to go darker than lighter.
Deep condition and your good to go, I have used Color Oops in the above ways and no damage :)

Amber_Maiden
November 7th, 2011, 10:16 AM
I'd stay dark. Avoid the damage that comes with lightening. Get wigs.

tori93
November 7th, 2011, 04:40 PM
i would keep it dark

GlennaGirl
November 7th, 2011, 07:25 PM
I absolutely love the dark color on you.