PDA

View Full Version : Switching to a 'cone free conditioner

lillikins
September 25th, 2011, 08:45 AM
I'm a noob and I ask stupid questions. xD

So I've been CO washing for about a year now, using Herbal Esscences conditioners. I just get whatever one my store has at the time. I know Herbal Esscences is full of silicone and stuff, so I'm switching to Suave Naturals Juicy Green Apple to see if being 'cone free makes a difference with my hair.
I guess my question is, do I need to do anything special to get the remaining silicone out of my hair? Or will it just come out using the different conditioner?

isabelx
September 25th, 2011, 09:07 AM
I'd definitely clarify a few times, Pantene Pro V Clarifying is a really good shampoo and seems to rid my hair of any cone build up :)

hs_atreides
September 25th, 2011, 10:46 AM
Clarifying will likely do the trick. I use Ion Clarifying for hard water/chlorine periodically. It can be harsh and drying so condition plenty! I like this article in regard to silicone build-up and clarifying:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=194

I'm still relatively new and I say there are no stupid questions! THis site has SOOOOO much info to sort through. :)

BlazingHeart
September 25th, 2011, 12:59 PM
I prefer Neutrogena's clarifying shampoo if I need to clarify, but as others have said, clarify your hair and you're good to go.

Unless you can feel that you've got build-up, I'd only clarify once, personally. Clarifying shampoos can be a little harsh, so I'd think about doing a SMT or other moisturizing treatment afterwards.