PDA

View Full Version : Sandpaper?

FrozenBritannia
September 24th, 2011, 07:36 PM
I tried CO and on the 2nd one discovered that it wouldn't work for me, so since then I have oiled and shampoo'd twice, but I am finding that after I rinse out the shampoo, my hair feels a bit like sandpaper.
What does it want??
:confused:

Mairéad
September 24th, 2011, 08:25 PM
May I ask a question? Why do you think CO is not for you? Just curious. I know it doesn't work for many people but depending on the reason you think it is failing tinkering it could make it work. The first time I tried CO it didn't really do anything special. But next time I tried it I couldn't imagine putting shampoo on my head ever again other than to clarify.

But, it sounds like your hair needs some moisture. Have you tried a SnowyMoon Treatment? They're really good to use after clarifying and I even have no problem using them in between clarifing.

There's a big thread about the treatment you could do a search for. You could also try a leave in or leave in some of your oil.

Also, were you using cones before and did you clarify before trying CO?

Safira
September 24th, 2011, 08:46 PM
I tried CO and on the 2nd one discovered that it wouldn't work for me, so since then I have oiled and shampoo'd twice, but I am finding that after I rinse out the shampoo, my hair feels a bit like sandpaper.
What does it want??
:confused:

Maybe your hair needs shampoo. Some hairs do. Maybe you should try something sweer, gently sulfate-free shampoo and then after that, deep treatment.

FrozenBritannia
September 24th, 2011, 09:04 PM
May I ask a question? Why do you think CO is not for you? Just curious. I know it doesn't work for many people but depending on the reason you think it is failing tinkering it could make it work. The first time I tried CO it didn't really do anything special. But next time I tried it I couldn't imagine putting shampoo on my head ever again other than to clarify.

But, it sounds like your hair needs some moisture. Have you tried a SnowyMoon Treatment? They're really good to use after clarifying and I even have no problem using them in between clarifing.

There's a big thread about the treatment you could do a search for. You could also try a leave in or leave in some of your oil.

Also, were you using cones before and did you clarify before trying CO?

After the 2nd CO my scalp started itching, and seeing as the last time that happened I ended up loosing all my hair, no more CO.

to clarify, after my hair is dry, it is super soft, it is just while it is wet that it feels so rough. I will look for the snowymoon treatment thread!

FrozenBritannia
September 24th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Maybe your hair needs shampoo. Some hairs do. Maybe you should try something sweer, gently sulfate-free shampoo and then after that, deep treatment.

I use that kind of shampoo already, but I will look into the deep treatment, thanks :)

Carolyn
September 25th, 2011, 06:14 AM
I would suggest that your clarify first. Use a shampoo labeled "clarifying" and wash your entire length with it. Then do a SMT with the non cone conditioner of your choice. Clarifying is harsh and stripping so you need to put the moisture back in to your hair. Then give CO washing another try. If the Suave isn't working for you, try another cheap cone free conditioner.

TwilightBloom
September 25th, 2011, 09:16 AM
I agree with Carolyn, my hair is the same way with CO, i just can't do it. mine was feeling that way every time i washed.. I went to the salon to get a trim and this time i let her wash it, wa la, it is awesome now. no more straw. she clarified it, it feels so much better.. I have to have shampoo, and i myself have to use sulfates, because my hair looks awful if i don't. I have recently gone back to cones, and i am so glad i did, i missed them so much. my hair is shiny and manageable i think i have found my groove.. I hope you find yours soon.. Good luck

FrozenBritannia
September 25th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hmmm, thanks :) I really don't think my hair needs claryifying, but then, what do I know? I'll give it a try. Need to find somewhere to purchase aloe before I can SMT, so I guess I better get on that..

Mairéad
September 25th, 2011, 12:55 PM
The clear Fruit of the Earth aloe can be purchased at Walmart and is with the hand lotions, NOT the sunscreen and other aloes. This aloe is used by many here and seems to agree with most people's hair. Try to avoid green aloe gels as these tend to have alcohol and numbing agents in them.

FrozenBritannia
September 25th, 2011, 01:02 PM
The clear Fruit of the Earth aloe can be purchased at Walmart and is with the hand lotions, NOT the sunscreen and other aloes. This aloe is used by many here and seems to agree with most people's hair. Try to avoid green aloe gels as these tend to have alcohol and numbing agents in them.

Thanks I'll go there tomorrow! Of course, in my walmart, the hand lotions are probably near the fishing supplies, but I digress..

Mairéad
September 25th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Lol! I had trouble finding it in my Walmart at first. If you can't find it in yours there's always Walmart.com, and they don't charge shipping so there would be no worry about paying more.

FrozenBritannia
September 25th, 2011, 01:08 PM
Lol! I had trouble finding it in my Walmart at first. If you can't find it in yours there's always Walmart.com, and they don't charge shipping so there would be no worry about paying more.

I'll keep that in mind. I'd be surprised if the didn't charge shipping up here though. So far as I know there is only one walmart north of us so we are kind of out of the way..

BlazingHeart
September 25th, 2011, 01:10 PM
I can't CO only. When I tried it a few years ago, my hair felt sticky and was clumpy, and my scalp itched some something fierce. Non-sulfate 'poo is a definite necessity for me, too. (I used to be okay with the sulfate 'poos, but I developed a sensitivity to sulfates that sent me into bad dandruff and horrendous itching, and between the two I ended up with scabbing on my scalp. Really miserable.)

~Blaze

FrozenBritannia
September 25th, 2011, 01:32 PM
I can't CO only. When I tried it a few years ago, my hair felt sticky and was clumpy, and my scalp itched some something fierce. Non-sulfate 'poo is a definite necessity for me, too. (I used to be okay with the sulfate 'poos, but I developed a sensitivity to sulfates that sent me into bad dandruff and horrendous itching, and between the two I ended up with scabbing on my scalp. Really miserable.)

~Blaze

:eek: my goodness! do you just use shampoo or do you use conditioner as well? (and why does the eeeek face look more like a smile than a scream? Emoticons these days..)

Carolyn
September 25th, 2011, 02:08 PM
Hmmm, thanks :) I really don't think my hair needs claryifying, but then, what do I know? I'll give it a try. Need to find somewhere to purchase aloe before I can SMT, so I guess I better get on that..If you are near Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or a local health food store you should be able to find aloe vera.

MaryRose
September 25th, 2011, 02:16 PM
My daughter had the same problem when she was using shampoo and then conditioner and then used it a leave-in conditioner. So I switched her shampoo to Garnier Fructise 2 in1 shampoo and conditioner. Her hair feels like silk now.

FrozenBritannia
September 25th, 2011, 02:37 PM
If you are near Trader Joe's or Whole Foods or a local health food store you should be able to find aloe vera.

Never even heard of Trader Joe or Whole foods, but there is an outrageously expensive Homesteader Health here. I'll check it out if Walmart lets me down :)

My daughter had the same problem when she was using shampoo and then conditioner and then used it a leave-in conditioner. So I switched her shampoo to Garnier Fructise 2 in1 shampoo and conditioner. Her hair feels like silk now.

That's an idea... I can't use Garnier as it has never worked for me, but I wonder what else comes in 2 in 1?

FrozenBritannia
September 26th, 2011, 05:44 PM
Just letting people know, that I did the clarifying as suggested, and then did a deep conditioning (not SMT as I couldn't get the aloe) and my hair felt much better after! Thanks everyone!!

TwilightBloom
September 27th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Im glad your hair feels much better. I didn't think i needed to clarify either, i had been using sulfate free, cone free, but my hair was just ookie. Yay for great feeling hair.. :cheese: