PDA

View Full Version : Multivitamins that don't stink

uptosomeone
September 24th, 2011, 01:35 PM
I really do need to start taking vitamins for my hair, but I've been putting it off because all of the multivitamins/hair skin and nails stink. I don't know why, but even smelling a cupboard that's held them at one point in time gives me a headache. Are there any vitamins that would be good for healthy hair or hair growth that don't smell like a multivitamin?

lillikins
September 24th, 2011, 01:38 PM
They really do stink, you're right. And they usually are really really big tablets and they taste nasty, too. D:

The only thing I can think of is those gummy vitamins. They just taste like gummy bears, which is really awesome. xD Not sure if they make one specifically for hair/nail growth, but it's worth looking into.

uptosomeone
September 24th, 2011, 01:44 PM
Oh, the gummy bear vitamins! Yes, I need to look into them. It's worth the money if I don't have to take those horrible smelling pills!

Airmide
September 24th, 2011, 01:54 PM
I have the same problem. I think it's due to the vitamin B's. My doctor had a nasal spray compounded for me. One for Vitamin D, one for Folic acid, and then one for a combo of B6, B12, Folic acid and I can't remember if they did any other B's. The D and Folic Acid are great, but the mix of B's tastes terrible going down my throat. I'm thinking of switching back to the B12 injections.

So you might be able to get your doctor to prescribe B12 injections...which are pretty cheap and do a good job. Then you could take vitamins that didn't have the B's.

Gummy vitamins are probably a lot easier solution, and more fun! But I've found them to be pretty expensive, and I'm not sure they'd have the nutrients you need and in the right proportions?

lillikins
September 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
It's worth a look though. You never know

Honestwitness
September 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
I can overlook the smell, but the reason I don't take multi-vitamins is they stain my clothing in the underarm area. I guess the B vitamins' yellow color comes out in my perspiration. If anyone has any suggestions on how to avoid that problem, as well, I would be grateful.

uptosomeone
September 24th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I have the same problem. I think it's due to the vitamin B's. My doctor had a nasal spray compounded for me. One for Vitamin D, one for Folic acid, and then one for a combo of B6, B12, Folic acid and I can't remember if they did any other B's. The D and Folic Acid are great, but the mix of B's tastes terrible going down my throat. I'm thinking of switching back to the B12 injections.

So you might be able to get your doctor to prescribe B12 injections...which are pretty cheap and do a good job. Then you could take vitamins that didn't have the B's.

Gummy vitamins are probably a lot easier solution, and more fun! But I've found them to be pretty expensive, and I'm not sure they'd have the nutrients you need and in the right proportions?

The injection method sounds like it would do the trick, but I'm all about getting things done in the least possible steps and know that I would probably end up not taking anything. So I guess I'm back to gummy vitamins then! Perhaps I can convince my mom to buy them. :eyebrows:

Or has anyone tried fish oil? We have a large stash of that...

Airmide
September 24th, 2011, 02:17 PM
I take fish oil, and I think it helps your hair, as well as just generally being good for you, especially if you have immune problems. However, you may have even worse luck with that, depending on the type you have! I have the Odorless fish oil from Trader Joe's and it's not bad. But with most, even some with that type, you'll get "fish burps" for a while after taking them, which are not very fun!

HairFaerie
September 24th, 2011, 02:19 PM
I use Irwin Naturals Skin, Hair & Nails vitamins. They are in capsules and have no odor to them whatsoever.

On a different note, I sometimes take natural sleep aids and they usually contain valerian root. AGH! Valerian root smells disgusting!!!!

uptosomeone
September 24th, 2011, 02:27 PM
I burp about once a month so I don't think I should have a problem with that, but they do sound nasty, especially seeing as I don't like fish!

Hmm, I'm going to look into the capsules though. They sound promising.

Mythica
September 24th, 2011, 02:48 PM
I usually take them fast with juice or something (sip of juice, pop vitamin, gulp of juice), then immediately eat a piece of fruit (or whatever you like, I suppose). It seems to help take the taste out of my mouth.

oktobergoud
September 24th, 2011, 02:53 PM
I don't really have a problem with the smell of vitamins, thankfully :)
But I do have with Valerian. The smell is HORRIBLE!! And the taste ughhh.. sometimes it gets sort of stuck in my throat and I start to hiccup and taste that nasty taste the whole day :P

Okay that was random and probably TMI but yes, sometimes it's really annoying! Oh I see HairFearie is talking about the same thing haha!

Sorry no help here :x What I do most of the time (with the valerian for instance) is just keep my nose closed when I swallow the pill :P I always did that with the protein shakes! They were sooo disgusting! So I drank them with my nose closed.. mixed up a glass of lemonade (with my nose closed still :P) and just drank that glass so I wouldn't have that nasty taste in my mouth afterwards haha.

arcane
September 24th, 2011, 03:32 PM
I take a wal mart store brand multi-viatmin with added green tea extact (honestly I bought it because it was the cheapest there). I find it doesn't smell like typical vitamins, and reminds me a bit of what the flintstones vitamins smelt like, not overly, but just a hint of it because of the green tea. My biotin stinks a bit though, but I take it fast,

DiablitaNoir
September 25th, 2011, 02:20 PM
I just started taking prenatal vitamins, which don't smell to me at all, and I've heard over and over that they're excellent for the hair, skin and nails. I bought a bottle of Rainbow Light brand vegan prenatal food-based vitamins. They're like 50 in a bottle for $10 at Target. :)

pink.sara
September 25th, 2011, 02:56 PM
I'd also vote for a prenatal vitamin. Just this weekend bought some and they don't really smell of anything.

My last vitamins had valerian root in and I threw one in an inside pocket of my bag in the morning, intending to take it at work. And on the bus and once I got to work all I could smell was wee! And that bag still stinks thanks to that vitamin!

TheCatSaidQuack
September 25th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I also agree with the gummy vitamins...or, if you don't have any deffencies, you could always try flinestone chewables. Its fruity tasting goodness! I alternate between the two without any problems, but I also take a prescription iron supplement too.

Vanilla
September 25th, 2011, 06:58 PM
I vote for the gummy prenatal vitamins with DHA. I just started taking them again, and my skin is looking great, I'm sure my hair will follow. No gross burps, nor do they smell.

I also have to take additional B vitamins because I get cracks on the corners of my mouth. I get the liquid b and it doesn't smell either.

Airmide
September 26th, 2011, 01:15 AM
I totally thought of this thread yesteday when I was at T.J. Maxx and saw gummy B vitamins, 100 if I remember right, for $7.99. Of course their stock is far from reliable, but could be worth looking I guess, if that sounds like a decent price. They were mixed in with all the health and beauty stuff, where I was sniffing body washes.

I vote for the gummy prenatal vitamins with DHA. I just started taking them again, and my skin is looking great, I'm sure my hair will follow. No gross burps, nor do they smell.

I also have to take additional B vitamins because I get cracks on the corners of my mouth. I get the liquid b and it doesn't smell either.

Which liquid B are you referring to? That sounds pretty interesting!

Vanilla
September 26th, 2011, 01:29 PM
I totally thought of this thread yesteday when I was at T.J. Maxx and saw gummy B vitamins, 100 if I remember right, for $7.99. Of course their stock is far from reliable, but could be worth looking I guess, if that sounds like a decent price. They were mixed in with all the health and beauty stuff, where I was sniffing body washes.

Which liquid B are you referring to? That sounds pretty interesting!

I use the "nature's bounty" b complex sublingual. It's cherry flavored and I got it at Walgreens. I love it!

Chetanlaiho
September 26th, 2011, 02:31 PM
I take prenatals and they actually smell quite good! xD They smell kind of fruity, and are quite easy to swallow (which is really saying something for me).

uptosomeone
October 7th, 2011, 04:30 PM
Well, my dear lovely mother went to the store and bought these fabulously delicious gummy bear vitamins. I adore them, they're so good. Does anyone know how long it takes for vitamins to seriously affect hair healthiness/growth? A month?

longhairedwolf
October 7th, 2011, 04:59 PM
I just use Centrum. I don't think it smells bad at all, but your mileage may vary.

Emmental
October 7th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I have started to take New Chapter Prenatals and though they are more expensive, they are much less stinky. They aren't scent-free, though. :)

I would check out Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Wild Oats, etc. for gummy vitamins.

I just started taking prenatal vitamins, which don't smell to me at all, and I've heard over and over that they're excellent for the hair, skin and nails. I bought a bottle of Rainbow Light brand vegan prenatal food-based vitamins. They're like 50 in a bottle for $10 at Target. :)

Maybe it's because I'm pregnant, but I cannot take these vitamins because of the smell.