PDA

View Full Version : How to get stronger hair?

CurlyOne
March 13th, 2008, 10:45 PM
:) Please help, I am so lost! While LHC was down I did a little experimenting with some different shampoos and conditioners :thud: I was trying to go cone free so I got some stuff from Vitamin Cottage. Well as it turned out I liked it but my scalp didn't. The shampoo gave me really bad flakes and the conditioner can really make your hair feel gunky.

However, all of my shedding/breaking virtually stopped!:D I was so happy that I put up with the gunk and flakes for a while too. Eventually it all go to me though and I went back to Panteene for curls and my shedding/breaking is back in full force.:( I will be in the shower and small bits of hair will be on my hands. It's not as long as my full length but it's like a hair shaft broke off near the bottom

:writer:So my question, can someone recommend a system/treatment that makes hair stronger? I have tried CV bars, CO, WO, and CWC I think my hair really liked the real moisture from the gunky conditioner and cones are making it more fragile.

:shrug: I am honestly lost, I can't keep breaking hairs like this but the gunky condish felt so bad and tangled quite a bit.

Hypnotica
March 14th, 2008, 12:49 AM
On the top of my head:

- Cassia
- Olive Oil and Coconut Oil
- Rinsing with ACV or Lemon

Lize
March 14th, 2008, 01:03 AM
Maybe you could try another cone free shampoo. That might have the same effect if it's the cones that make your hair break.

Kirin
March 14th, 2008, 05:51 PM
There could be something in the shampoo or conditioner (the new ones) that you are allergic to. Since many of them have botanicals, its hard to pick out which one could be the culprit.

I would recommend, start small, try something like Johnson's baby shampoo, and a good but inexpensive cone free conditioner (v05, white rain, suave) thats pretty mild and has not a lot of botanicals, see how that goes.

They are not ideal but also cone free and not harsh. Its hard to say which is the culprit, the shampoo or the conditioner, it could be either or both. If your hair is fragile and breaking, (and dry i presume?) avoid things too with protein, my hair personally hates most proteins (but tollerates others occassionally), its a matter of finding these things out.

Isilme
March 14th, 2008, 06:03 PM
baby shampoo can be very harsh, just to let you know.

ChloeDharma
March 14th, 2008, 06:30 PM
baby shampoo can be very harsh, just to let you know.

Yup it's formulated to be alkaline, i personally wouldn't use it.

Mahars
March 14th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Pantene has really harsh cleansers in it. It has Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. That could be causing the breakage. I only use Pantene to clarify.

You might want to try some more natural brands that don't have sulfates like Nature's Gate or Giovanni.

CurlyOne
March 15th, 2008, 09:10 PM
On the top of my head:

- Cassia
- Olive Oil and Coconut Oil
- Rinsing with ACV or Lemon
What is your exact procedure for this? How do you prep the Cassia, how do you go about applying the oil, how long does it sit, how strong is the ACV rinse, won't the oil make your scalp oily, and cake up with flakes?:confused:

Pantene has really harsh cleansers in it. It has Sodium Laureth Sulfate and Sodium Lauryl Sulfate. That could be causing the breakage. I only use Pantene to clarify.
I think that is slowly dawning on me. I know it is pretty harsh but I am back at square one and have to start all over so I guess this is my starting point. I have heard of the Nature's Gate stuff, what would you recommend?

sibylla
March 16th, 2008, 10:37 AM
Henna and cassia makes your hair stronger. So does massaging your scalp as a daily rutine. Having moist hair is important (oil treatments). Wind and sun have a weakening/drying effect on hair. I´m not sure about this one: egg yolk-it feels as though it makes the hair stronger.

Make sure you get all vitamin Bs and eat healthy.

Hypnotica
March 16th, 2008, 11:55 AM
What is your exact procedure for this? How do you prep the Cassia, how do you go about applying the oil, how long does it sit, how strong is the ACV rinse, won't the oil make your scalp oily, and cake up with flakes?:confused:

Cassia: I only use hot water to blend my cassia. Apply it to your hair until it is completly covered in green goo, let it sit for as long as you can stand it. You can also mix cassia with diffrent teas and such....but I would recommend straight cassia for the first time you use it.

Oil: I use oil after washing or on misted hair. Melt some between mu hands and run my hands through the hair. A little goes long way. Use it on lenghts only if you don't have a very dry scalp.

ACV: I use lemon juice instead and take a couple of spoons for about one litre of water. I use it as a last rinse.

jessie58
March 16th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Nature's Gate has always been very soft and gentle on my hair and it really cleans and conditions well.

CurlyOne
March 16th, 2008, 04:22 PM
Which Nature's Gate products do you recommend?

tiny_teesha
March 20th, 2008, 07:20 AM
i'd say henna. Amla and shikakai and bhringrag and i think even brahmi strengthens your roots. Check it out in the indian herbs article.

Lipbalmbabe
February 24th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Try a protien treatment