PDA

View Full Version : conditioner question

jojo
September 24th, 2011, 07:25 AM
How much conditioner do you all actually wash out?:confused:

See last night I washed my hair as usual but rather than rinse all my conditioner out as I usually do, I washed say 60% of it out and I have to say my hair feels so much better; kind of floaty.:hifive:

I am now wondering if this is why my hem line gets so thin. My hair is naturally very fine and is prone to breakage, it is very healthy this is just how my natural hair behaves. I guess I should have asked this question 4 years ago when I joined:brainbleach:

I do use oils on my hair after washing, lately ive been using a coconut leave in conditioner. What are your thoughts, does not rinsing all the conditioner out help with growth/retention?:flasher: <--- i just like him!

bunzfan
September 24th, 2011, 07:29 AM
Hi Jojo, i have done that with great success in the past but i have found our wavy hair loves a bit oil on damp ends. Recently i started leaving oil on the length for days on end and it drinks it up and the ends feel better for it.

Since i went back to lots of oil on my ends before putting it up my hair is certainly not so thin on the ends like it was back in July.

Madora
September 24th, 2011, 07:33 AM
All the conditioner comes out because I don't like the feeling of anything coating my strands.

ange1ito
September 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM
I rinse most of mine out, but i then replace with a leave in by Redken i like the blue bottle anti snap and my hair dresser advised me to try the gold bottle so smooth, for my ends recently. I also oil and have definitely seen a major difference in my ends not snapping off like they used to a few years back.

MinderMutsig
September 24th, 2011, 07:43 AM
I rinse everything but I do use my regular conditioner as a leave-in. I've thought about rinsing it only partially but it's too hard to control how much you leave in and to make sure all the hair gets the same amount. Using it as a leave-in after you've rinsed gives you more control over how much you have in there.

I use about a teaspoon as a leave-in and then put in some oil over that. My hair drinks it all up during drying.

jojo
September 24th, 2011, 08:05 AM
thanks all for the answers, I suppose there isn't a right or wrong way. I have tried using my regular conditioner as a leave in with great results however, my hair feels and looks better with not rinsing it all out. My conditioner does have cones so as long as I clarify every so often should be O.K.

My hair loves oils but not so much as it did previously. I tend to do a overnight oil the day before wash day. I have been washing my hair spidermom style cwc using very diluted shampoo, it would just be water if I diluted it anymore but it does help. I just hope I am not damaging my hair by not rinsing all the conditioner out.

cheetahfast
September 24th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I tried leaving some in, but I never mastered too much verses not enough. I just coat my ends with oil now or I'll use my shea moisture smoothie, it's almost like a conditioner/oil mix, it's heavy though so I have to be careful. When I feel like using conditioner as a leave-in, in my hair I'll rinse it all out in the shower and put some in my hair after towel drying, that way I have more control. It makes my hair very nice and soft.

I just hope I am not damaging my hair by not rinsing all the conditioner out.

I don't think it is damaging to leave it in, after all many curlies here do that after every wash and have grown long healthy hair. Unless you end up clarifying extremely often from cone build-up, I don't see how it would hurt your hair. However, you said you dilute your shampoo very well, so it probably wouldn't be very harsh, and with CWC the ends are protected from it. I wouldn't worry if I were you.

Lostsoule77
September 24th, 2011, 08:50 AM
I was using my regular conditioner as a leave in, but I've recently started to just not wash it all out. I've not noticed yet whether this is better or worse for my hair. I'm sorry I can't help you, but if you find out the answer let me know. :)

LadyLongLocks
September 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I have left a little conditioner in my hair for years. It really helps combing it out. I only rinse my hair for 10-15 seconds with cool water. I always use cones too.

archel
September 24th, 2011, 09:02 AM
I rinse mine completely, but that's because I have fine hair that doesn't look good if its weighed down. I use a few drops of argan oil as a leave in and I mean very very few.

UltraBella
September 24th, 2011, 09:10 AM
I don't rinse my conditioner out fully, I prefer to leave some in my hair.

jojo
September 24th, 2011, 05:24 PM
Thanks again, yeah i think for me leaving some in really helps

CurlyMopTop
September 24th, 2011, 06:09 PM
When I wash, I've been using diluted shampoo followed by v05 condish rinsing the vo5 out completely. Before I step out of the shower, while my hair is still sopping wet, I put a more moisturing conditioner in my hair and leave it in. Once a week I replace my regular vo5 rinse-out condish with Ion's Reconstructor. My hair loves all of the moisture that it gets from the conditioner, but needs the extra protein too. :D My hair seems to be happy for now.

heartgoesboom
September 24th, 2011, 06:24 PM
interesting. it doesn't make the hair feel funny when it's dry? i'm going to have to try this once

BlazingHeart
September 25th, 2011, 02:15 PM
I tried that a couple times, and it just made my hair feel yucky and clumpy. I am much happier rinsing everything out. But then, I never have dryness issues.

~Blaze

lindaton
September 25th, 2011, 08:24 PM
If I dont leave most of my conditioner in I can hardly comb my hair out. I have always done this just like JJJ said in her post.

owlathena
September 25th, 2011, 09:52 PM
I usually rinse it all out, but sometimes if i feel like I reaaaaallllllyyy need it, I'll leave in a tiny bit, or put some extra on my ends after I've rinsed out my entire length. Sometimes this works well, other times I get a greasy mess.

Flossy
September 25th, 2011, 10:02 PM
I like to rinse all mine out. My hair gets very weighed down and just yuck if I leave any in.

MissManda
September 26th, 2011, 12:07 AM
I CO wash and am very careful that I rinse all of my conditioner out. I've tried leaving a little bit in, but it made my whole mane a piecey, greasy-looking mop. Instead, I will use my normal conditioner as a leave-in. It doesn't save on conditioner, unfortunately, but it doesn't matter since the stuff I use is so cheap.

For leave-in conditioner, I use anything between the size of a pea to the size of a US 50 cent piece, depending on the conditioner's consistency and moisturizing capabilities. One 50-cent piece size dollop of GFTN distributed throughout my hair = soft and silky but fluffy length with no frizz. :D

Athena's Owl
September 26th, 2011, 12:59 AM
I rinse it all out and then re-apply to my ends.

jennescence
September 26th, 2011, 01:41 AM
I shampoo just the roots,rinse, than put my hair in a towel for five minutes to absorb the water. Then i put conditioner in my hair and let it sit for another five minutes or so. After that i rinse it WELL. I put my hair in the same towel until my hair is not dripping. Then i put a quarter size amount of Mane n Tail in my hair as a leave in. I noticed in just two weeks a HUGE difference in my hair:) Oh and i just use Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner.

Jing
September 26th, 2011, 07:06 AM
I rinse it all out, but I've been wondering about this since some people use conditioner as a leave-in.

Anje
September 26th, 2011, 08:51 AM
I rinse it all out, but that's because my hair tends to feel rough with anything coating the strands, even conditioner. It's smoothest when it's naked or has a touch of oil.

jojo
September 26th, 2011, 10:57 AM
^^ naked hair :D love it! funny I just shampooed today and no conditioner, just a little oil and it actually feels quite nice. Wish my hair wasn't quite so contrary.

swearnsue
September 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM
If you don't rinse out all the condish, then how do you rinse with ACV? Before the condish? Not at all? Maybe just a short cold/cool water rinse is good enough?

jojo
September 26th, 2011, 07:48 PM
I dont use ACV only when I clarify and then the conditioner is washed out, but I dont use this every wash, i tend to use white vinegar as the ACV tends to make my hair more red.

GRU
September 27th, 2011, 08:03 AM
I rinse out all of my cleansing / conditioning conditioner in the shower, then I add more as a leave-in, so I'm not sure how to answer this question...??? My hair loves regular conditioner as a leave-in.

Vallena
September 27th, 2011, 08:59 AM
I rinse it all out. Leaving it in feels nice at first for me, but it gets a lot dirtier a lot faster!