PDA

View Full Version : Hair Dye

jacknuts
September 24th, 2011, 06:51 AM
What is the best colour to dye your hair?

ange1ito
September 24th, 2011, 07:23 AM
I think it depends on your own natural color and your skin tone. Cool shades wash me out but reds flatter my skin tone. If you don't want to damage your hair too much I would stick to a semi or wash in wash out color, especially if you are planning to grow it. Let us know which color you opt for and pics please.

rowie
September 24th, 2011, 07:27 AM
Some people use what is called "Right out of the box" hair color that dye hair fast, and some people like to use a natural dye from a plant called henna. Henna takes longer to prepare and apply, but some manufactures claim it is all natural with no pesticides or harsh chemicals. Boxed coloring used in salons and at home have a lot of un-natural chemicals to achieve color. It all depends whether you go to a salon, grocery, Indian store, online stores, what you want to get, and what you want to achieve.

jojo
September 24th, 2011, 07:32 AM
i have read you should only go 2 shades darker or 2 shades lighter for a dye to look natural on you. If your thinking of going a red, hold different shades of oranges and reds up to your face to see if darker or lighter red is for you.

hs_atreides
September 24th, 2011, 08:32 AM
I think it comes down to two things: what are your goals; natural colors/tones or more dramatic/contrasty looks AND your skin tone and knowing what colors work for you.
I like the two shades advice to keep hair color easy to manage. To brighten the look, go to your childhood pics, it may be more than two shades lighter, but it's a good guide as to how light you should go.
Now, sometimes you want a strong contrast, like certain blonde shades going intensely dark to play up the pale skin and make blue eyes pop. I would stick with dark browns as opposed to blue-black, too difficult to come back from. I also like using deposit only when going to darker so that you can get a feel for the deeper tone w/o the commitment.
As for the punky colors, that's where you should know what colors work for your skin. For example, I have used three different shades of blue for my color block. Two were green based and after the color faded it looked blah against my med-skin tone and dark brown hair. I NEVER wear green-too hard to find the right shade. The best was a violet based blue that faded beautifully and worked great for my face. Makes sense, purples are in my wardrobe a lot!
For me, I have tried many colors throughout my life. I have med skin and dark brown hair naturally. Dark blonde was a disaster, reds far too tricky, blue-black too harsh. Medium golden brown was my childhood color, tried it, got bored with root touch-up. I like keeping my natural color now, with only occasional deposit-only/wash-out color and a gorgeous blue color block on my fringe. I can go months without worrying about touch-ups!

MsBubbles
September 24th, 2011, 08:36 AM
The best color to dye your hair is in the morning with wet hair and your favorite hairstyle :silly:

Jacknuts...why don't you ever go back to the single-sentence question threads you start? :suspect:

hs_atreides
September 24th, 2011, 08:40 AM
The best color to dye your hair is in the morning with wet hair and your favorite hairstyle :silly:

Jacknuts...why don't you ever go back to the single-sentence question threads you start? :suspect:

Yeah, I just noticed this, too. And I went all nuts with a response earlier, DOH!

jojo
September 24th, 2011, 10:28 AM

mmm did cross my mind too! maybe she is trying to get her post count up but they wont really count as quality posts.:eyebrows:

ellen732
September 24th, 2011, 11:12 AM
mmm did cross my mind too! maybe she is trying to get her post count up but they wont really count as quality posts.:eyebrows:

Jacknuts is a male.

CornishMaid
September 24th, 2011, 01:05 PM
Is Jacknuts a spambot? All threadstarters of few words.

spidermom
September 24th, 2011, 01:09 PM
Shhhhhhhhh.... this is a secret. The best hair dye is called Nair. It will give perfect hair color every time, but a fool will see no hair at all after using Nair.

UltraBella
September 24th, 2011, 01:10 PM
Shhhhhhhhh.... this is a secret. The best hair dye is called Nair. It will give perfect hair color every time, but a fool will see no hair at all after using Nair.

Ha ! Thank goodness I wasn't drinking anything this time ;)

Chromis
September 24th, 2011, 01:20 PM

Okay, I was going to say "Clear" but now I must change o agree with the Goddess of Spiders here!

archel
September 24th, 2011, 01:47 PM
OMG, I was going to give jacknuts a NAIR response this morning and thought oh heck, what if people get mad at me for being a smartypants? LOL

ktani
September 24th, 2011, 01:48 PM
If you are not into spending a lot of time with recipes here on non chemical natural dyes although natural dyes contain chemicals (just not conventional ones), there are 10 minute hair dyes available to cover grey and temporary dyes like manic panic that are less potentially damaging.

In other words, you have a number of choices to suit what you are after for adding colour to your hair.

ktani
September 24th, 2011, 01:57 PM
Nair, in case you are not familiar with it is a brand of chemical hair remover, for removing hair from under arms and on legs.

Airmide
September 24th, 2011, 02:02 PM
I'm getting really tired of this guy. I just reported his post. Has anyone else reported him? I feel like he's contributing nothing to the community and his name is really offensive. I'm uncomfortable with him having access to our Friendship and private forums.

Lianna
September 24th, 2011, 02:26 PM

Nair, in case you are not familiar with it is a brand of chemical hair remover, for removing hair from under arms and on legs.

I know it's all in good fun but you shouldn't play like this. Because I'm not from USA/Europe/Australia I don't know many "brands" said here..can you imagine if someone like me tried it?! :O I only knew what Nair was until a few months ago. :/

ktani
September 24th, 2011, 02:32 PM
I know it's all in good fun but you shouldn't play like this. Because I'm not from USA/Europe/Australia I don't know many "brands" said here..can you imagine if someone like me tried it?! :O I only knew what Nair was until a few months ago. :/

That is exactly why I posted that. The OP may not know that either, may possibly be shy and English may not be his first language.

ETA: Even though there are men who are members here this forum is predominantly female and I can understand why a man may feel uncomfortable at first posting.

Slinks
September 24th, 2011, 03:21 PM
Sometimes I think it's a thread starter - but then if you did a search you'd find all topics he has asked in full bloom .. so I'm with another of the posters

I'm getting really tired of this guy. I just reported his post. Has anyone else reported him? I feel like he's contributing nothing to the community and his name is really offensive. I'm uncomfortable with him having access to our Friendship and private forums.

he has already reached the desired 25 post

MinderMutsig
September 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Sometimes I think it's a thread starter - but then if you did a search you'd find all topics he has asked in full bloom .. so I'm with another of the posters

he has already reached the desired 25 post

I think LHC requires that those 25 posts are quality posts before you get full access. I seriously doubt these qualify. But then I also expected him to be banned by now so who knows.

*is glad she doesn't have sensitive or personal info in her profile or blog*

ETA: Well hey will you look at that! Ask and ye shall receive I guess. :D

Slinks
September 24th, 2011, 03:56 PM
*is glad she doesn't have sensitive or personal info in her profile or blog*

ETA: Well hey will you look at that! Ask and ye shall receive I guess. :D

lol .. I privatised all my personal photos quite some time ago and was even concidering deleting them ??

your ETA is good news .. thank you mods, even though they were thread starters to get people typing, he wasn't participating which would have made a world of differance, shy or not he started the threads, he should at least acknowledge those who went out of their way to answer

ktani
September 24th, 2011, 04:36 PM
I agree participation is key.

As to sensitive or personal information, any electronic medium can be hacked even with the most stringent security systems.

I just received an email the other day from a friend stating their email was hacked. It can happen. That does not mean one needs to delete all material. Just be aware that anything written that you think is personal and safe, may not be so at all.

jojo
September 24th, 2011, 04:58 PM

ha ha thats funny and I was drinking when I read this.

jojo
September 24th, 2011, 05:00 PM
Jacknuts is a male.

and also banned I see! must say his posts were very random :spam:

caiti42
September 24th, 2011, 05:10 PM
I also reported him.

And Nair here in Aus is a brand of hair removal cream lol.

Lianna
September 24th, 2011, 05:18 PM
and also banned I see! must say his posts were very random :spam:

I actually think it was because so many people complained about him. I've never seen a member been so bashed before. He made one line questions and didn't answer. That's not agaisnt the rules per se.

If that's the only reason he was banned, I think it's unfair.

ETA: I just read all his posts, and he striked me like a curious person who wanted to learn some of the basics. Perhaps English isn't his first language...mine isn't either and at first my posts weren't very elaborate, with time I felt it was okay to make some mistakes as long I'm doing my best. I wonder if he would get the same treatment if he was a "she".

spidermom
September 24th, 2011, 05:20 PM

Ooops! I wouldn't want to be the cause of a mistake like that. The product will have a label on it saying "hair remover" in the appropriate language I would hope.

Ladies and gentlemen, do not try this at home!

spidermom
September 24th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I actually think it was because so many people complained about him. I've never seen a member been so bashed before. He made one line questions and didn't answer. That's not agaisnt the rules per se.

If that's the only reason he was banned, I think it's unfair.

I have to disagree. I think his threads were beginning to have a very creepy vibe. "How's your hair?" Ewwwwwwwww!

Lianna
September 24th, 2011, 05:26 PM
I have to disagree. I think his threads were beginning to have a very creepy vibe. "How's your hair?" Ewwwwwwwww!

I just edited that post, if you want to see. About Nair, I'm sure you didn't mean any harm. :)

ktani
September 24th, 2011, 05:42 PM

People seem to consider that thread "fun" and are still responding to it.

irishlady
September 24th, 2011, 05:46 PM

lol Spidermom, love your sense of humour! :)

theodora
September 24th, 2011, 06:31 PM
Even if the OP was apparently emanating a creepy vibe, whether actually reflecting his personality or not, no one can deny his threads ended up creating some interesting discussions, and personally, one of my favourite jokes so far with spidermom's hilarious Nair comment.

Just for that - which really brightened my gloomy Saturday - I have to thank him.

spidermom
September 24th, 2011, 09:31 PM
I think a big problem was his lack of participation in other threads. That's a big part of the creepy vibe. The last time I looked, he'd only started threads, never commented in anybody else's thread, also never commented in his own threads. Most of us, no matter how bad our language skills, try to hold something resembling a conversation with other members.

UltraBella
September 24th, 2011, 10:09 PM
The biggest part of the creepy vibe was the thread asking if any of us have YouTube videos of ourselves. That was a big red flag for me and I reported it.