PDA

View Full Version : Boss says my hair color has gotta go.

starlamelissa
September 23rd, 2011, 09:07 PM
I normally dye my hair with manic panic pillarbox red, and some jazzing cherry cola, diluted and mixed with cheap condish.

I decided to try a new color, diluted on my length, full strength on my roots, with face framing streaks. Its a special fx vampire red semi perm.This is a pink based red, and gave me raspberry/beet juice colored hair. I like it! My lengths are more subtle. but I have some streaks of rasberry beet juice red thru the lengths.

My boss saw it pulled into a bun, and she says, "whoa, too too red. This is borderline unnatural color, which is against resturaunt policy". So she asked me, (nicely) to have it gone by my next shift, (next friday). how do I keep my red, while ousting my pinkish red? Can this be done gently?

gretchen_hair
September 23rd, 2011, 09:09 PM
How about wearing a bandanna or a scarf until you can tone it down slowly?

starlamelissa
September 23rd, 2011, 09:13 PM
I am afraid that sort of head covering is against the dress code. I wear a tee shirt, belt, jeans, non skid kitchen shoes, and a company visor. Oh, and a matching scrunchie.

DoubleCrowned
September 23rd, 2011, 09:20 PM
We used to have little snoods that fit over a bun. Would that cover the part that was too unnatural looking for the boss?

starlamelissa
September 23rd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Its my bangs she commented on! the rest was tucked away in a sock bun. bah, why dont I know how to post pictures yet?!?!

gretchen_hair
September 23rd, 2011, 09:35 PM
ok, can you gel the hell outta the bangs and comb them back/up under the visor? Or use some temp wash out dye for the bangs only?

Crysania
September 23rd, 2011, 09:36 PM
infra red is less pink and more orange, you could mix that with some ''cobra'' from manic panic as well, its light brown

before dyeing again you could use a treatment that is good to fade color :
cheap conditionner ( vo5, suave )
honey
lemon juice
apply that on dry hair and leave it wrapped for an hour

celebriangel
September 23rd, 2011, 09:37 PM
You could try 1) doing a deep oiling with coconut oil, 2) removing the oil, 3) clarifying, (all these to fade the dye) then 4) re-dyeing with an orange-based red to even it out and make it look more auburn.

starlamelissa
September 23rd, 2011, 09:38 PM
ah ha! thanks for the tips!

starlamelissa
September 23rd, 2011, 09:39 PM
can i use a semi perm orange and red mix, stirred up in condish like I normally do? Or should I go full strength?

starlamelissa
September 23rd, 2011, 09:41 PM
ok, can you gel the hell outta the bangs and comb them back/up under the visor? Or use some temp wash out dye for the bangs only?
That could totally work. I have some color roux foam I can use on my visible front, and gel my bangs to the side. Good Idea there.

Columbia River
September 23rd, 2011, 09:50 PM
...is there another resturaunt job near you where you can where your hair however you like? Okay, Im in Portland Oregon...in my town this is pretty easy, however it might not be the same all over. ;)

longhairedlady
September 23rd, 2011, 11:04 PM
...is there another resturaunt job near you where you can where your hair however you like? Okay, Im in Portland Oregon...in my town this is pretty easy, however it might not be the same all over. ;)

Thats what I am wondering. I once had a job years ago that freaked because I got blonde highlights! Sheesh some people are so uptight!

WinterButterfly
September 24th, 2011, 12:30 AM
You could get a wig for when you are at work if it isn't too hot on your head. That's what a girl at my last job did. She could do her hair however she wanted then look how work wanted her to look. I don't understand the no unatural colors thing. Not unless you have some sort of corperate job. If you are serving food, then you probaby aren't going to lose the business thousands by having slightly pinkish hair. Why is unnatural color so bad, but unnatural texture awarded?

pepperminttea
September 24th, 2011, 04:39 AM
So it's no bandannas, but what about other head coverings? I think they'd have a hard time legally disallowing a hijab.

Panth
September 24th, 2011, 05:25 AM
Erm. I'm going to go against the flow here.

Re-dye your hair (or your fringe, or whatever) a sensible (or a more sensible colour). Do it now, quick-and-nasty if you have to. You can baby your hair afterwards and anyway, if it's only the fringe that is the issue and you're intending to keep it as a fringe (vs. grow it out) then damage is not really an issue as much - you'll cut it off way before the damage starts to show badly.

Just be sensible. A job is a job, crap or not. The way the world is at the moment, you're a very, very lucky person to have one.

starlamelissa
September 24th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Erm. I'm going to go against the flow here.

Re-dye your hair (or your fringe, or whatever) a sensible (or a more sensible colour). Do it now, quick-and-nasty if you have to. You can baby your hair afterwards and anyway, if it's only the fringe that is the issue and you're intending to keep it as a fringe (vs. grow it out) then damage is not really an issue as much - you'll cut it off way before the damage starts to show badly.

Just be sensible. A job is a job, crap or not. The way the world is at the moment, you're a very, very lucky person to have one.
I love my job! It is most definitely not crappy, I have a great relationship with my boss and coworkers, I love working in a fast paced kitchen. And I live in a very rural area, in a county of about 2,000 people. So as you can imagine, jobs are precious here!

starlamelissa
September 24th, 2011, 08:05 AM

I live in a small town, in a small county. So no, not like Portland. :p

Panth
September 24th, 2011, 08:17 AM
I love my job! It is most definitely not crappy, I have a great relationship with my boss and coworkers, I love working in a fast paced kitchen. And I live in a very rural area, in a county of about 2,000 people. So as you can imagine, jobs are precious here!

Oh, that's great. ^_^ And, to clarify, I wasn't saying your job was crappy, rather than even a crappy job is still a job.

I was just getting a little disturbed by Columbia River's comment which was pretty much 'oh, just get another job'. Some people don't seem to get how precious jobs are, particularly right now!

starlamelissa
September 24th, 2011, 09:13 AM
Just shampooed my hair twice with a clarifying shampoo. My scalp hurts, but my hair is looking much more auburn than pink. We shall see as it dries but i am hopeful.

longhairedlady
September 24th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Oh, that's great. ^_^ And, to clarify, I wasn't saying your job was crappy, rather than even a crappy job is still a job.

I was just getting a little disturbed by Columbia River's comment which was pretty much 'oh, just get another job'. Some people don't seem to get how precious jobs are, particularly right now!

I dont think she meant anything derogatory by asking if there were any other jobs available. I think she was just trying to be helpful. :shrug:

starlamelissa
September 24th, 2011, 09:19 AM

Oh yes! At any given time my boss has 50 applications from people desperate for work. This is in a town of under 1200 people. And we aren't hiring! People just fill them out anyway, hoping there will be an opening.

May I add, that I am pregnant, and my boss is extremely flexible and family friendly? I doubt I can just find that again.

starlamelissa
September 24th, 2011, 09:22 AM
I dont think she meant anything derogatory by asking if there were any other jobs available. I think she was just trying to be helpful. :shrug:

I used to live In so cal, and seattle Washington. I get where she is coming from! I take no offense whatsoever by her suggestion.

I live in rural Iowa now, in a small farming community, so its different here, job wise.

julierockhead
September 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM
You can also tell you boss to $*&#*$#. But I guess in this economy they can tell us peons what to look like.

princessp
September 24th, 2011, 12:38 PM

Yeah, I know the economy stinks but I wouldn't work there either unless I really had absolutely no other choice. That is a ridiculous policy. Unless it is a restaurant hires you under the "actor/actress" loophole (a la hooters) I see this as just plain discrimination. If your appearance interferes with hygiene then okay. But how the heck is hair color unhygienic? Answer: it is not.

ETA:
I live in rural Iowa now, in a small farming community, so its different here, job wise.
Ah, well then someone has to open minds about not judging books by their covers......just saying. But I understand that job-wise it might not be your battle.

Airmide
September 24th, 2011, 02:12 PM
I'm in Portland also, and I think Columbia River's comment was probably a cultural thing. It's almost unusual here for people *not* to have piercings, tattoos or crazy unnatural hair, if not all of the above. If you watch a couple episodes of Portlandia you'll see why many of us who have been here a while completely forget what the rest of the world is like lol.

I like the idea of doing the least you can while still pleasing your boss. You mention having a good relationship with her. Could you speak with her and problem solve together? Especially since you're pregnant I would avoid doing anything too harsh or chemically!

I've read that pink is the hardest color to change, so I'm thinking you're going to have better luck covering it than fading it. You might find some tips here: http://pinkhair.livejournal.com/

starlamelissa
September 24th, 2011, 03:26 PM
I'm in Portland also, and I think Columbia River's comment was probably a cultural thing. It's almost unusual here for people *not* to have piercings, tattoos or crazy unnatural hair, if not all of the above. If you watch a couple episodes of Portlandia you'll see why many of us who have been here a while completely forget what the rest of the world is like lol.

I like the idea of doing the least you can while still pleasing your boss. You mention having a good relationship with her. Could you speak with her and problem solve together? Especially since you're pregnant I would avoid doing anything too harsh or chemically!

I've read that pink is the hardest color to change, so I'm thinking you're going to have better luck covering it than fading it. You might find some tips here: http://pinkhair.livejournal.com/
Oh yeah I hear ya there. I am not from Iowa originally, and this is my first experience on the small town front. I have a tattoo, two ear peircings in each ear and supa long hair, so I kinda stand out already. Lol. Thanks for the link btw! Will check it out! :)

starlamelissa
September 24th, 2011, 03:33 PM
You can also tell you boss to $*&#*$#. But I guess in this economy they can tell us peons what to look like.

Eek, my boss is my friend. Like we hang out after work... Regularly. Out of work I can tell her she sucks for making me change it, but at work I am just like, seriously.... Ok. I plan on just washing on wash day with clarifying poo again, putting it up and gelling my bangs. I highly doubt she will notice or say anything, as the clarifying I did today took alot of the raspberry pink out.

Lianna
September 24th, 2011, 03:41 PM
I would recommend to check such dress code policies before applying to the job. If the job is really needed or options lack, I would behave as expected of me. Personally I would dye the visible parts to a natural color and keep the ends pink tucked in the sock bun. And I would wear pink extensions if I really wanted more color.

Red Rapunzel
September 24th, 2011, 03:45 PM
Wear a comfortable wig at work!

misspurdy06
September 24th, 2011, 03:52 PM
A hair mascara that temporary just work.

http://www.amazon.com/Hairgum-Hair-Mascara-Red/dp/B005J4SHUM

Panth
September 24th, 2011, 04:34 PM

*shrug* I didn't really mean anything bad against Columbia River ... just that, unfortunately, in many places it's really not as easy as 'just get another job' right now. I've known a couple of friends who've taken their jobs for granted in that way ... they're now a couple of years older and wiser and realise how hard it is when they have to pay for things themselves without mummy and daddy. Not saying that Columbia River is spoilt or doesn't appreciate a job or anything. Just, quite simply, saying that jobs are precious!

ghilliegirl_an
September 29th, 2011, 07:04 PM
Colored hairspray could be a good option for you especially if you regularly wear your hair up to work(since you work in a restaurant I'm guessing you do). Don't get the cheap kind kids use for halloween go to a beauty shop like sally's they sell the good kind that works better. Just put your hair up and spray it to whatever color you want, it washes out when you shampoo it.