PDA

View Full Version : Biotin

lechatn0ir
September 23rd, 2011, 04:05 PM
Is taking 2500 mcg of biotin too much? I'm scared haha -_- their softgel capsules so i cant cut them in half urgg

MaryRose
September 23rd, 2011, 04:21 PM
I think your fine. I take Nature Made Biotin 2500 mcg a day also. I use to take another brand of Biotin and it was for 5000 mcg a day. I don't have any side effects and I don't think a person can overdose on Biotin, at least I hope not. I switched to the Nature Made brand and the largest dose they offer is 2500 mcg.

gthlvrmx
September 23rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
I recommend seeing a doctor before trying things like to make sure you are taking what your body NEEDS. Some people reported having renal failure after overdosing on biotin. Yes, it will work your kidneys harder if you are taking more than necessary.

http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.com/2011/01/biotin.html

lechatn0ir
September 23rd, 2011, 04:28 PM
haha i bought the nature made 2500 mcg one too i hope it's safe :D thanks for sharing!

lechatn0ir
September 23rd, 2011, 04:33 PM
@gthlvrmx now you are officially scaring me haha

MaryRose
September 23rd, 2011, 05:00 PM
I did some research on Biotin and it states that 1000-5000mcg is the norm to take daily (half in the morning and the other half at night). A person should start off taking the smaller dose and working their way up to the larger dose. If you have health concerns then you should talk to your doctor first.

This the website where I found the information.

http://vitaminsforhairlossguide.com/how-much-biotin-is-safe-to-take-for-hair-growth/

lechatn0ir
September 23rd, 2011, 05:16 PM
k thanks i'll try finishing up my 2500 mcg than switch to 1000 when im finished

FrozenBritannia
September 23rd, 2011, 05:28 PM
I'm taking just over 3000 mcg a day, I take 3 1000 mcg tablets, and then two hair and nail vitamins (which have 35 mcg each), and then a multi which has 50 mcg.

most of the info I read while researching said for hair growth to take at least 2500 mcg a day, but there was lots of testamonials from people who take 5000 mcg with no ill effects.

doodlebug66
September 23rd, 2011, 05:47 PM
Thanks for the information.

gthlvrmx
September 23rd, 2011, 05:56 PM
@gthlvrmx now you are officially scaring me haha
Oh no im not trying to, it's jsut that some people have reported that and online ive found different recomended dosage ammounts, which makes no sense to me...are these recommended amounts meant for people who have biotin deficiencies or what
? What about those who get dont have a deficiency? That's why its best to check up with the doctor.
If you get the normal amount of biotin thats necessary for your body, there may not be a need to take in more. Since it is water soluble, it does work your kidneys a little more. If you are overdosing and doing it longerterm, it may cause problems like renal failure, which i dont think is worth over a few inches of hair. It just depends on your body and you dont wanna find out the hard way that you didn't need that extra amount.

MaryRose
September 23rd, 2011, 06:04 PM
If you feel fine taking the 2500mcg a day, then keep taking them. It depends if you feel fine with the dosage.

NightOwl26
September 23rd, 2011, 06:10 PM
I've been taking 5,000 mcg daily for a long time now. I never had a concern of overdosing because it's water soluble.
After reading a lot about how biotin causes acne and oily skin, I'm only getting my biotin from my multi and my hair vitamin. I'm not taking the 5000mcg supplement now. I always have oily skin and pimples here and there and maybe this will improve it.

ladylovecraft
September 23rd, 2011, 06:15 PM
Pfah. I take... more than that. Biotin is water soluble so you can't "overdose" on it.. it's just not possible. However you don't want to take the entire bottle and stress your kidneys. Drink lots of water with it to help your kidneys stay happy (this will help negate any skin side effects too), and stay reasonable in your dosage, and you'll be fine.

Ps - I'm an RN. : P

celebriangel
September 23rd, 2011, 06:28 PM
hmm. I really, personally, wouldn't take more than double the RDA of anything. Not even the water-soluble ones. We don't yet fully understand how all the different vitamins and minerals interact, and it;s just not worth it.

Even MSM, which is considered quite horrendously safe, removes copper from the body (which is actually kinda good - you'll notice commercial multivits mostly don';t contain it because we already get a bit too much) so you don't want to take too much of that.

Cassie 123
September 23rd, 2011, 09:01 PM
I have been taking 2,500 mcg for about 3 weeks, and I have just begun to notice an increased oiliness on my forehead, so I'll probably discontinue once I use up this package (1 more week left). I've always had fingernails as strong as iron so I probably wasn't lacking anyway (weak fingernails are a sign of deficiency).

I had another thought: if biotin mainly comes from the bacteria in our guts, maybe probiotics would be a safer way to ensure that we are getting enough.

lechatn0ir
September 24th, 2011, 08:33 AM
hmm im kind of sceptical because i don't want to do something thats not necessary that will have adverse effects. How about taking them every other day? or every two days? Would that be better than taking them daily? I don't want to overdose on them D: Any insights?

Tea Lady
September 24th, 2011, 09:40 AM
I take biotin almost every day and have not suffered ill effects. That biotin rant/link posted on the first page has somehow gotten the reputation as the "gold standard" of biotin opinion here at LHC and I do not understand why. It gives one anecdotal story of a woman who had a bad effect from it. Her bad result could have been from biotin I suppose, but one anecdote does not proof make. And different people's skin reacts differently than other people's. So if you break out from it, don't take it or reduce it, but no need to be scared of it!

Anyway, I haven't measured my hair since I started taking it in July (maybe I'll measure after I wash today!), but my nails have certainly improved since I started taking it. I alternate Puritan's Pride biotin (5,000 mcg), GNC Ultra Nourish-Hair (1200 mcg) and Natrol Skin, Hair, and Nails (500 mcg). (I'm not sure which one of those will help my hair the most!)

Tea Lady

lechatn0ir
September 24th, 2011, 10:36 AM
thanks for the insight~ so many mixed opinions..

Chetanlaiho
September 24th, 2011, 12:19 PM
I take 1000mcg per day, according to the link posted earlier (which I think is pretty good) that's already the dose for those with a deficiency. I notice more shedding if I go off of it so I think it's helping =)