PDA

View Full Version : Swedish dreadlocks, floor and beyond

SolSara
July 2nd, 2008, 01:38 AM
Swedish dreadlocks, floor and beyond (http://www.svd.se/nyheter/idagsidan/samhalle/artikel_1421793.svd)

Just browsed through the swedish news for today on the net and found this. A guy has been growing his dreadlocks for 17 years. Text in swedish, but five gorgeous pictures. And if you want the text, there is always Google Translate. ;)

I love how he wears the ends in a bag when out to protect them. :D

julya
July 2nd, 2008, 01:56 AM
Wow, cool pictures.

Medvssa
July 2nd, 2008, 02:25 AM
That is certainly cool :D

Eolan
July 2nd, 2008, 02:49 AM
I read that too! Think I will cut it out from the paper and save it. I love it that he walks around with his hair in a bag! :D

Eolan
July 2nd, 2008, 02:49 AM
Okay, so you already commented on the bag thing. My bad. :)

aisling
July 2nd, 2008, 03:04 AM
I wonder if it is the journalist who has gotten stuck on how "cool" those dreads are, how much credibility they give and how women prefer them to a bald head or if it is the wearer himself. Those things are mentioned several times in the article. Generalizing much? :p

mejram
July 2nd, 2008, 03:19 AM
I read the article too. But I have to say that they don't attract me at all. Since he always wears them down, they must be quite a nuisance. Sure, they are really cool to look at, but as he says - he is almost considered as the "town idiot" because of them. Is it worth it?

Calista
July 2nd, 2008, 03:20 AM
That was very interesting, thanks for sharing.

morgwn
July 2nd, 2008, 03:34 AM
Those look SO cool. :)

jessie58
July 2nd, 2008, 03:39 AM
They must be very heavy and awkward. Mind you they are kind of interesting and he is good looking enough to carry them off as being cool looking. If he was unshaven, stooped over, with a pot belly, he might come across as horrifying instead of cool, LOL.

toodramatik
July 2nd, 2008, 04:36 AM
They must be very heavy and awkward. Mind you they are kind of interesting and he is good looking enough to carry them off as being cool looking. If he was unshaven, stooped over, with a pot belly, he might come across as horrifying instead of cool, LOL.

I agree haha! I was like "OMG THANK GOD HE'S HOT".

saman
July 2nd, 2008, 04:51 AM
I couldn't read the text but i saw the pictures.they were cool.thanks for sharing.

FrannyG
July 2nd, 2008, 05:44 AM
Very nice photos! I do find it sad that because someone wants to do something a little different he's potentially viewed as the village idiot, though.

Fencai
July 2nd, 2008, 06:00 AM
very cool! i always wanted dreads!

iluvmy67cuda
July 2nd, 2008, 07:22 AM
All i can say is, i think that guy is HOT. To me there is NOTHING hotter than a guy with long hair, and dreads are hot tooo ....(now sobbing that i want a man LOLLLL).

vidgrl007
July 2nd, 2008, 07:45 AM
I'm not big on dreads but think it's kewl he has the patience to grow and keep up with them. It also helps he is smokin hot:D

Kirin
July 2nd, 2008, 07:48 AM
I really love dreads on the right people. I say right people because of several factors, but those who love them themselves and take good care of them. He's a great example of this. They are long, ropelike and its pretty darn obvious its part of his "identity" regardless of what anyone calls him around town.

A friend of mine who is African American could never grow her hair, and always had it two inches long, which made her sad. Her hair was litterally nothing but tight tight poufy curls with no ability except to grow verticle. About two months ago, I suggested dreads to her..... she's never gone back.

I'll have to see if she'll let me post a picture of them here, she is SO happy with them and takes meticulous care of them and they are tightening up and defining wonderfully....... and, for the first time in her life, her hair pulls down to gravity. She's letting them grow, and they look amazing.

I watch now as the dreads become part of her "identity". They aren't a political statement or a fad, I think she'll have them for life.

lora410
July 2nd, 2008, 08:01 AM
woow impressive!!!

saracuda
July 2nd, 2008, 08:20 AM
I'm not big on dreads but think it's kewl he has the patience to grow and keep up with them. It also helps he is smokin hot:D

I totally agree, or as they say on fark, THIS!

Lady Godiva
July 2nd, 2008, 08:45 AM
Very nice photos! I do find it sad that because someone wants to do something a little different he's potentially viewed as the village idiot, though.
Ditto. :shake:

MissHair
July 2nd, 2008, 08:50 AM
I love dreadlocks on men. He looks hot. But I think when its gotten to the point that hair drags on the ground, especially with dreadlocks.. All I can come to think of is bugs and dirt in the hair..

Ohio Sky
July 2nd, 2008, 10:54 AM
Im with MissHair about hair dragging on the ground... I wonder how long his hair would actually be if it werent all in dreads?

BTW, can anyone that can actually read this tell me what the little picture with the dolls is at the bottom? Its a very sad picture :(

Islandgrrl
July 2nd, 2008, 10:57 AM
I'm obviously in the minority here, but I thought those dreads were a little creepy. And I like dreads. Especially on hot guys. But this just left me going.....yech. :(

vidgrl007
July 2nd, 2008, 10:59 AM
I totally agree, or as they say on fark, THIS!
You know what they say,"great minds think alike":cheese:.lol

burns_erin
July 2nd, 2008, 02:31 PM
I am with Islandgrrl on this, definitely a little creepy, I like locs but that is definitely too much for my peice of mind (shudders).

mejram
July 2nd, 2008, 02:33 PM
Im with MissHair about hair dragging on the ground... I wonder how long his hair would actually be if it werent all in dreads?

BTW, can anyone that can actually read this tell me what the little picture with the dolls is at the bottom? Its a very sad picture :(

Do you mean the one with Barbie and Ken arguing over the child doll? It's an article about divorces and a psychiatrist answers questions about separations. So yes, quite sad.

honeybunch
July 2nd, 2008, 05:19 PM
Wow I like. Maybe that should be my length goal for my braids.

Naluin
July 2nd, 2008, 06:45 PM
I'm obviously in the minority here, but I thought those dreads were a little creepy. And I like dreads. Especially on hot guys. But this just left me going.....yech. :(

I like dreads and am pondering having my own one day, but... yeah, I must say that his didn't do anything for me.

So, I'm with you, Islandgrrl.

Sakura07
July 2nd, 2008, 08:13 PM
I agree with the fact that he's not a bad looking guy. And his dreads are nice, though to me they do seem a bit excessive.

Kudos to him though for sticking with them for that long?

Chromis
July 2nd, 2008, 08:48 PM
Is anyone else finding irony in people on a long hair forum wondering if this gentleman's dreads are too long? :ponder:

Naluin
July 2nd, 2008, 08:53 PM
Is anyone else finding irony in people on a long hair forum wondering if this gentleman's dreads are too long? :ponder:

:rollin:Actually, I don't mind the length. I just prefer more manicured-looking dreads. I think it would be awesome-- and quite heavy-- to have floor length dreads. :cheese:

Cinnamon Hair
July 2nd, 2008, 11:28 PM
I certainly hope the man doesn't find this thread, with all the discouraging remarks. That would be awkward. :(

betsala
July 3rd, 2008, 05:46 AM
i think that his dreads are amazing!

Patrycja
July 3rd, 2008, 07:00 AM
I love dreads,always have.I've actually played with the idea of dreading my hair but I know I don't have enough guts to pull it off.I think that is too damn cool that he grew his out dispite all the looks and names he gets from people in his town.It inspires me. :)

burns_erin
July 3rd, 2008, 09:25 AM
It is not the length for me either, not quite sure why they are creeping me out, just some sort of visceral reaction. I do agree with the comments about appreciating that he has stuck by his choices, it is just not for me. And, somehow I doubt he would be bothered by finding this thread as we are all strangers to him, so if the negative opinions of people he knows do not bother him, why should some of ours?

Snowblood
July 3rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
I love dreads!! And on that good looking guy anyway.. ^^

suicides_eve
July 3rd, 2008, 09:58 AM
WOW how long would his hair be if it wasn't dreaded?? that is amazing. Yeah that guy is smokin hot:flamed:

StillAHulaGirl
July 3rd, 2008, 10:47 AM
Wow! Thanks for posting! My fiance wants his hair, lol.

aisling
July 3rd, 2008, 11:15 AM
WOW how long would his hair be if it wasn't dreaded?? that is amazing. Yeah that guy is smokin hot:flamed:

A good bit shorter, I guess. I think the hairs forming the ends of his longest dreads aren't attached to his scalp anymore.

Elenna
July 3rd, 2008, 01:19 PM

Move over for another minority, those dreads are dreadfully creepy :rolleyes:.

truepeacenik
July 3rd, 2008, 02:49 PM
does it say in the article why he chose dreads?
and also, how common are they in Scandinavia?

I also noticed the misfits in his pin/badge collection. A "gutterpunk" look perhaps?

young&reckless
July 3rd, 2008, 05:33 PM
I agree haha! I was like "OMG THANK GOD HE'S HOT".

ME TOO! I was thinking he has hair? Oh, look somewhere besides the cute face. :D

CountessDeJager
July 3rd, 2008, 05:51 PM
That bag idea looks very practical when he wants to partially stow the length away. Unless the article mentions it, I don't think he would have too much trouble wearing it down for special occasions though. All the shots are composed to make his hair look longer than it really is and I'm guessing it barely touches the ground if he stands up straight.

jojo
July 3rd, 2008, 05:54 PM
anybody got a fan? phew its hot on this thread! I love them!

kwaniesiam
July 3rd, 2008, 05:58 PM
:thud: Holy cow those are some serious locs!

Thank you for sharing, that is some truly gorgeous hair :cloud9:

flapjack
July 3rd, 2008, 07:10 PM
He is cute. ;)

Yep, that's pretty much all I have to add to this conversation, hahaha.

somethingwicked
July 3rd, 2008, 08:58 PM
A good bit shorter, I guess. I think the hairs forming the ends of his longest dreads aren't attached to his scalp anymore.

Ah, so, I didn't think of that. I was thinking about how much shorter dreading would make a natural hair and boggling over how long it must be in its natural state, but you're right.

SolSara
July 4th, 2008, 12:31 AM
does it say in the article why he chose dreads? He got talked into it by some girls when he was interrailing (is there such a word?) and stayed in Paris for a while. He liked them and kept them even though everyone was laughing at him when he came home. Or beacuse of it, he says he wanted to prove that it was going to be something real of it. The same year he got the dreads he started a hard-rock-magazine, so the dreads are kind of his signature now.

and also, how common are they in Scandinavia?
Kind of common, I think. It's not like you turn around everytime you see one, unless it's very colorful. :) I have one girl in my class with small dreads and two persons at work. Oh, well, one of them recently got rid of them, but I still think of her as having dreads, because they looked so good on her. :) And it's very popular in some youth groups today. Swedish kids want to be cool, not pretty. :)

Riot Crrl
July 4th, 2008, 12:39 AM
interrailing (is there such a word?)

No, but it's AWESOME that Swedish has one! :cheese:

justgreen
July 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM

Ditto. :cool:

Piperdiva
July 5th, 2008, 11:38 AM
I don't like them, but that guy is HOT. *fans self*

Kuchen
July 5th, 2008, 12:09 PM

Yup. He's busy decorating his own world.

Amoretti
July 5th, 2008, 01:19 PM
They're not to my personal taste but I applaud him for doing what makes him happy.

HappyKarin
July 5th, 2008, 01:36 PM
What I like with this article is that he says that he prefer long hair girls :)
I’m not a big fan of dreads but his good looking anyway.

chloeishere
July 5th, 2008, 01:48 PM
I'm really in the minority here, because I think the dreads are okay (undoubtedly lots of care, but very cool. I do prefer smaller dreads, personally, but they still look alright to me)... but I really don't find the guy very attractive. I mean, he has attractive features, but he kind of comes off a bit full of himself in the pictures, which is a huge turnoff to me.

I'm not saying he is full of himself, but the way the pictures are staged, and such, just aren't my thing! You would find me saying the same thing about people in Abercrombie ads and such. Sure, they are very attractive, feature-wise, and great bodies... but the attitude is so unattractive, it cancels out the attractiveness of the models, in my (HUMBLE, and not wide-spread) opinion.

It does require a tremendous amount of dedication to have dreads that long, so kudos to him!

maja04
July 5th, 2008, 04:47 PM
I don't really understand why he wants to have dreads like that. I just think it looks strange and a bit disgusting... He would be so much better looking without them :)

Tap Dancer
July 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM
I find his hair very creepy but I'm not a fan of dreads, either. But you gotta do what makes you happy. His opinion is the only one that matters where it concerns him.

winter
July 6th, 2008, 02:25 AM
Yeah, I read that. There is actually an entire series about hair, the next episode (in lack of a better word) is tomorrow, both in the paper and on the web. Don't know what it'll be about, maybe someone who is bald as a contrast.

They also want you to send pics of your hair with an explination to why you keep it that way, and some will be published on the net and the paper. I hope at least one super long hair will make it :)

Igor
July 6th, 2008, 04:34 AM

What she said
I didn’t personally find his dreadlocks aesthetically pleasing, but so what? I wouldn’t even have pointed that out if someone else hadn’t posted the irony of it. He’s doing this for himself and it obviously makes him happy. Good for him! We could all learn something from him about doing with your body and your appearance about doing what makes yourself happy
But it did make me go :idea: with the backpack, Some day when I reach super long length I might do the same thing to protect my hair from being stuck in places and form curious people

truepeacenik
July 6th, 2008, 08:55 AM
thanks, SolSara, for the insight.
I would offer than dreads can be pretty.

Looking at the photos, I see a lot of places he is probably protecting. Notice the really thin sections about 12 cm up (6 inches) from the ends?
That's potential breakage, and breakage on dreads is so very obvious.
I think I have one of mine, still.
(yes I cut one in half to see what was there. Some lint, some flakes, a rubber band that I forgot to remove and was surrounded by the locing process, lots of serious tangling, but that part was the point)

to the person who said he looked full of himself, blame the photographer.
The shots look like the photographer was using fashion angles as opposed to journalistic or portrait angles.
I got a slight sense of vertigo, and frankly, would have asked if there were better shots.
Could be a difference in countries' ways of illustrating features, too.

Lady Godiva
July 6th, 2008, 12:47 PM
The backpack would a good idea for those who have very long locs/dreads, and it might be useful for those with very long, coarse hair, but for very long, fine hair like mine, it wouldn't be helpful and would contribute to tangles/matting, unless the hair were braided or multi-banded first. However, if I'm going to do that, I might as well just put it up in a bun or updo and not bother with a backpack. I have trouble with snoods for the same reason. All that constant rubbing of the coiled hair against itself in a confined space actually causes problems.

feralnature
July 6th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I applaud his commitment. I had dreads until a year ago when I cut and combed them out...I had a few inches of uneven hair left and am now growing it back out. It is just too hot where I live to keep them clean. I had natural dreads, no wax, I really liked them. I was a member of a very interesting dread forum with members throughout the world. Some of these folks had had dreads for decades.

I am now on another sort of journey and am so glad I found this forum!

The guy in the pics would have a lot of adjusting to do if he cut his dreads off. Mine were, of course, relatively real short compared to his and it was just shocking and emotionally painful to cut mine. Each one was a loved individual with personality of it's own. I could only do it a few at a time over several months. Fortunately, I live in the woods and work at home here on the farm so no one saw how icky my hair looked during this stage, LOL! (except my poor ol' man)

Ciel
July 6th, 2008, 03:33 PM
Wow those are some really long dreads!!!

Swedish dreadlocks, floor and beyond (http://www.svd.se/nyheter/idagsidan/samhalle/artikel_1421793.svd)

Just browsed through the swedish news for today on the net and found this. A guy has been growing his dreadlocks for 17 years. Text in swedish, but five gorgeous pictures. And if you want the text, there is always Google Translate. ;)

Sofoulee
July 6th, 2008, 04:08 PM
Very cool indeed...

musicmomma
August 18th, 2008, 03:47 AM
those are some seriously long dreads!!! :D

D-eath
August 18th, 2008, 03:49 AM
Swedish ppl often have so beautyful hair. Why dreads... :/

Cantabile
August 18th, 2008, 04:09 AM
I was rather surprised by some of the negative responses here, but to each their own, I suppose. :shrug:

I think his dreads are pretty cool, and as mentioned, he's certainly seems attractive enough to pull them off. They do seem a bit unwieldy though, but since he's adapted to it, more power to him for being proud of being different. :thumbsup:

micah_mae_
August 18th, 2008, 09:24 AM
I can't read Swedish but the pics are cool! He's pretty cute! I've always liked dreds (that are clean and maintained) but haven't had the courage to do them myself. :)

rhubarbarin
August 18th, 2008, 09:35 AM
I was rather surprised by some of the negative responses here, but to each their own, I suppose. :shrug:

I think his dreads are pretty cool, and as mentioned, he's certainly seems attractive enough to pull them off. They do seem a bit unwieldy though, but since he's adapted to it, more power to him for being proud of being different. :thumbsup:

I honestly think dreads on white people look gross and are dirty. White people have greasy heads. I've never seen any I thought looked nice (and I've smelled a few - phew!). Just my opinion of course, but it's an honest one. No offense to any of you who have them, but I just don't like it.

On the other hand I love dreads on people of African descent.. and if I had type 4 hair I would love to have them myself.

berr
August 18th, 2008, 10:13 AM
I think people have to be really attractive to pull off dreads. He was attractive. Since the only experience I have with dreads was one of my daughters friends.. (I asked to feel them and he looked at me so odd), how much hair goes into a one? If his hair had natually grown without being in the dreads would his hair be double in length?

AutumnLeaves
August 18th, 2008, 10:14 AM
I'm glad Tessa said he was good looking because I thought exactly the same. I think the length is cool, but honestly? I'm not into dreads as they look like when my dogs get mats in their fur or as in this case, kind of like the results of a bodily function. LOL No, that is not a comment on anyone else who has dreads or who loves dreads. I think it is just the particular way the camera caught these particular dreads! LOLOL

GreenGables
August 19th, 2008, 05:06 AM
Thats really cool!

Chromis
August 19th, 2008, 07:17 AM
I honestly think dreads on white people look gross and are dirty. White people have greasy heads. I've never seen any I thought looked nice (and I've smelled a few - phew!). Just my opinion of course, but it's an honest one. No offense to any of you who have them, but I just don't like it.

On the other hand I love dreads on people of African descent.. and if I had type 4 hair I would love to have them myself.

"White people scalps" come in all sorts of greasyness levels, just like Black people scalps! I've even seen an Asian person with dreads before! How good they look really depends upon the care the person has put into them, much like long hair on most folks! Ditto on smell. They can be washed, and you can most certainly wash the scalp.

I may not wish for that style for myself, but there is no reason for the number of people that think dreads are "gross". The people with dirty icky dreads aren't any less dirty and icky after they cut them off, let me tell ya! That's just a lifestyle choice on their part.

GlassEyes
August 19th, 2008, 07:36 AM
The dreads are both cool to me, and making me get grossed out. And I have no idea why. At ALL. It's mostly the former though.

Guy's hot though. XD

Darscilla
August 19th, 2008, 09:10 AM
What I like with this article is that he says that he prefer long hair girls :)

:cheese: <<< makes travel arrangements to Sweden>>>