PDA

View Full Version : Massive shedding during treatments?

Becky Safari
September 23rd, 2011, 08:50 AM
I really don't know what this is about, but it has been happening for years. Whenever I treat my hair, whether it's Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, SMT, Jojoba, Honey, Cassia, whatever! My hair sheds so much that it borderlines on being upsetting. I really don't pull on my hair when I'm oiling it as I know it's much more breakable when it's wet. I also bun it and comb it beforehand, but man oh man does a lot of hair come out in that shower. Yesterday was an olive oil treatment, and I lost so much hair that it actually feels thinner to me and is reminding me of a time in my life I was not very healthy and shed this much on a regular basis. But I am very healthy now so to see this much hair come out just really concerns me.

P.S. I'm the sole responsibility for having to snake the drain every now and then :o

MsBubbles
September 23rd, 2011, 09:10 AM
The same thing happens to me - even when I'm not going through a big shedding episode. My solution is to do scalp washes rather than full washes (I retain more hair that way), and to use the most lightweight oil I can find (so far: camellia oil). Coconut & jojoba oils and C-W-C all make me lose tons of hair. This doesn't happen when I don't use these things!

This is the main reason I haven't tried cassia! If this happens to me during a simple C-W-C, I dread to think how much I'd lose from cassia.

It's logical to think that whatever hairs are going to fall out, are going to fall out no matter what, and that perhaps we're getting upset over this for no reason. But I *did* stop losing so much hair when I switched to scalp washes, and ditched the coconut oil.