PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Mason Pearson owners!

buttercupmcgee
September 23rd, 2011, 08:32 AM
I'm debating whether to take the plunge...I figure I'm putting so much time, energy, and money toward the pursuit of healthy, happy hair, this might be a worthwhile reward/ investment to make.

Also, right now I'm using a wide tooth comb and pure BBB, and I must say I long for the "grip" of a regular brush. I miss the days of true scalp stimulation when I brush, and the smoothness afforded all the way down the shaft, canopy to nape--feeling the brush glide all the way through, instead of just smooth a small section.

So tell me please:

1. Which one do you own? There seem to be several on Amazon.
2. Do you see a marked difference in your hair?
3. Anything else you feel like including!

Thanks!

Buttercup

coneyisland
September 23rd, 2011, 08:39 AM
I have the Mason Pearson rake comb for detangling. I like it very much.

archel
September 23rd, 2011, 08:41 AM
I have the Large Extra BBB and it's fantastic. It penetrates my hair as well as my Sonia Kashuk mixed bristle brush! It doesn't pull or snag and it makes my hair SO smooth.

I also have the dressing comb and the tail comb, they are wonderful! So smooth and they just glide through my hair. I use the dressing comb before I use the BBB. It detangles without breaking my hair off.

I'm actually using a Kent comb for detangling out of the shower (the wet/coarse comb), but I do have a hankerin' for the MP rake, although it may have such wide teeth that it wouldn't help me me (I like the Kent for getting my argan oil through all my damp hair.)

buttercupmcgee
September 23rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
Thanks guys! I searched old threads for the answer to this question, but is the pure BBB somehow better than the nylon mix? I know we're anti-synthetic brushes on this forum but I'm desperate for some grip!

Thoughts?

archel
September 23rd, 2011, 08:55 AM
I get great grip with mine, but keep in mind it is new and has not really been broken in yet. Do you have a Target nearby? You may want to pick up the Sonia Kashuk mixed bristle brush to see if you like that sort of thing. It would be $15 to find out if you hate it or not instead of $150, LOL!

buttercupmcgee
September 23rd, 2011, 09:11 AM
Ah, good point! From the reviews I'm reading it seems the "grip" lasts the duration of the brush.

Ok next question...I just caught your thread about your new brush (yay!) How did you decide on the large?

Peggy E.
September 23rd, 2011, 09:19 AM
I have the large MP mixed and had the MP BBB - for my hair the mixed is great! I love this and have had it for years, literally - it's at least ten years old and possibly older.

It never felt like the BBs were getting through to the scalp. Maybe they were, but it didn't feel like it or look like it.

The mixed bristle gives me the advantage of the BB - smoothes and calms static - with the workhorse power of the nylon, which cuts through to the scalp and brushes the hair all the way down the scalp.

The way the two types of bristles are mixed together protects the hair from any damage you might normally find from the nylon, while allowing the nylon to do its job.

People have all sorts of reasons they like a particular hair tool - that's why there are so many of them out there. So, basically, you have to consider what it is you are wanting from the brush, the job it needs to perform for you, and then seek out the brush that best fits your needs.

The mixed bristle from MP is the perfect tool for me - it's been worth every cent and I will definitely buy another one when the time comes that I need it.

Cassie 123
September 23rd, 2011, 12:33 PM
I have the large extra (B1). It really is stiff enough to get through my hair for the most part, but I don't like the extremely fluffy look it gives me. It is clearly a good quality brush, just not my cup of tea.

archel
September 23rd, 2011, 12:38 PM
buttercupmcgee, I decided on the large extra because their website says the larger the model, the longer the bristles are. I figured I needed the longest they have to get through all my hair! I also plan on growing it very long so that's a factor in the size I chose.

HTH!

jojo
September 23rd, 2011, 12:45 PM
I have a medium pure BBB by MP and really love it. I have much healthier hair with fewer splits and faster growing hair since using it. I use mine 2x a day and do the head tipped and 100 stroke method, I detangle with a body shop wooden comb. It has killed my wave somewhat but the shine i get is worth it.

Ginny Mae
September 23rd, 2011, 12:49 PM
I have the largest size (in pink!), pure boar bristle. My hair is really thick and wavy, to the extent that it's broken a fair few brushes in its time but I was pleasantly surprised by the boar bristle's ability to penetrate my hair. I do have to brush it in sections, but that's the same as with any brush. What I really like is the stiffness of the bristles - they're so hard they're almost scratchy, so you don't need to worry about scalp stimulation!

Generally I use my MP after de-tangling with my Tangle Teezer, otherwise it tends to rip my hair a bit. I'm not sure about the impact it's had on the health of my hair because I'm not very disciplined about using it but it really makes a difference if I use it on greasy hair. It kind of brushes the grease down the hair so it looks cleaner!

buttercupmcgee
September 23rd, 2011, 03:17 PM
I have a medium pure BBB by MP and really love it. I have much healthier hair with fewer splits and faster growing hair since using it. I use mine 2x a day and do the head tipped and 100 stroke method, I detangle with a body shop wooden comb. It has killed my wave somewhat but the shine i get is worth it.

That's the one I ended up getting...glad to hear you like it! I can't wait to resume my brushing routine, I love how it feels.

Thanks everyone for the help and info!

Fairlight63
September 23rd, 2011, 03:53 PM
I have the Med. MP pure BBB. I think that it is a good brush BUT I also have a BBB made by ISINIS that I got at Amazon for $41.99 that feels just about the same to me, it is just a little bit smaller. I am kind of kicking myself for paying that much for the MP when the ISINIS is just as good a brush & the bristles feel almost the same to me.

citadel
September 23rd, 2011, 06:29 PM
1. Which one do you own? There seem to be several on Amazon.
The Popular brush--part Nylon, part BB.

2. Do you see a marked difference in your hair?
When I use it, it immediately calms my hair down. When I compare using a regular plastic brush versus this brush, the effect is obvious. It never looks static-y or fried, just smooth and soft.

3. Anything else you feel like including!
My husband actually really likes this brush. If I've moved it, he'll call, "Where's your brush?" I'll tell him where the plastic one is, but he'll pause and go, "no...you know...your expensive one." He likes to brush his hair with it before going to bed because it feels nice on his scalp. :)

jojo
September 24th, 2011, 10:33 AM
That's the one I ended up getting...glad to hear you like it! I can't wait to resume my brushing routine, I love how it feels.

Thanks everyone for the help and info!

You won't be disappointed. The bristles are quite stiff and penetrate to my scalp, my head fizzes for ages after using it and they are so easy to clean. I love mine!