PDA

View Full Version : A Witch Hazel Question

MissDeliza
September 23rd, 2011, 06:56 AM
I've started spraying my face with witch hazel as a toner, but some of it gets onto my hair. I've noticed of late that the hair framing my face has become lighter. Naturally, I turned to my good chum google first, but I couldn't find anything to indicate that the lightening could be witch hazel. Has anyone here experimented with it?

My guess is that it is probably sun lightening, but I thought I'd ask just in case.

Savvyhorsez
September 23rd, 2011, 08:39 AM
I've used it on my face when I was a teen, but quit because of the horrid smell, but I don't think I noticed anything changing with my hair, or face for that matter.:rolleyes:

Good Luck!

Mairéad
September 23rd, 2011, 08:57 AM
I never noticed it lightening my hair. I used to use it as a toner too (didn't mind the smell, twas a familiar one to me, lol.) But, I did stop using it because it tended to dry my cheeks out. Shouldn't be a problem for oily skin but I have combo. So, it worked great for my T-zone.

MychelleC
September 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM
Witch hazel typically has between 14-40% alcohol. I can see the repeated alcohol exposure having a lightening effect on your hair. I don't use witch hazel on my skin, only as an antiseptic to treat scrapes and bites.

GRU
September 28th, 2011, 09:53 AM
Witch hazel typically has between 14-40% alcohol. I can see the repeated alcohol exposure having a lightening effect on your hair. I don't use witch hazel on my skin, only as an antiseptic to treat scrapes and bites.

Since when does alcohol lighten/bleach hair? :confused:

ktani
September 28th, 2011, 10:07 AM
Alcohol cannot "bleach" hair but it can dry it out and make it appear to be lighter in colour.