PDA

View Full Version : Best Hair Growth supplements??

abbeyhalver85
September 23rd, 2011, 05:39 AM
Hi everyone! I was just wondering if theres any hair growth supplements you guys have tried that have worked best for you? Of course theres the biotin vitemins, but is there any that have worked best and fastest?? Thanks guys!:)

Vallena
September 23rd, 2011, 07:43 AM
I thought biotin was only worth while if you didn't get enough in your diet. Though if that is not the case and it truly does help, I may start taking it. Someone once suggested vit E to me, and I noticed nothing.

buttercupmcgee
September 23rd, 2011, 08:11 AM
I really like biotin and fish oil for hair and skin.

I take a multi, biotin, and fish oil. We do get enough biotin through a balanced diet, as the poster above said, but for real results in hair, skin and nails, an added dose is necessary. One thing I can say is it makes my nails practically bullet-proof, and my sparse eyebrows grew in on it.

archel
September 23rd, 2011, 08:45 AM
Be cautious with biotin, folks, there's a poster on the board who said it put her into renal failure... :-/

jojo
September 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM
yes it was me who ended up with stage 2 renal failure. Id say you can't beat a balanced diet with lots of fruit and veg. Also keep hydrated.

archel
September 23rd, 2011, 08:52 AM
Jojo, I'm so sorry that happened to you. :(

Merkaba
September 23rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
Not to be a downer but isnt there multiple threads already on this issue???

Madora
September 23rd, 2011, 09:28 AM
Abbyhalver85, please exercise caution when taking supplements.

One might look into a multi vitamin to begin with.

Also, there is no "fast" with supplements! Hair will only grow as fast as nature intends. No speeding up. Some people's hair grows faster than others, some slower.

Some members here have had good results with "x" supplement. The same supplement had no visible effects with others.

Eating healthy and drinking plenty of water are your best bets towards your hair goal.

elfynity
February 9th, 2023, 05:37 AM
So, I just want to give an update for me, personally, using hydrolized collagen (you've gotto take Vit C with it in order for it to work - my supplement has both) has been a game changer. I noticed the difference when I first started using it, on my nails, I've always had fairly good nails (not like my hair, LOL!) but now they just aren't breaking, they are quite tough, getting very long (typing is getting difficult) - but to get to the point, I have noticed that my hair is alot shinier, and that tons more hair is growing out, there were baby hairs everywhere when I first started the collagen, and I'm still getting more 2 months later.

And then I am also taking a small MSM supplement now, which helps your body to produce it's own collagen etc, and apparantly it's well documented that MSM goes very well with collagen. I really think that anyone who is having an issue growing their hair should definitely do some research and consider taking these two supplements, they really are working very well for me.

Croww
February 9th, 2023, 06:28 AM
So, I just want to give an update for me, personally, using hydrolized collagen (you've gotto take Vit C with it in order for it to work - my supplement has both) has been a game changer. I noticed the difference when I first started using it, on my nails, I've always had fairly good nails (not like my hair, LOL!) but now they just aren't breaking, they are quite tough, getting very long (typing is getting difficult) - but to get to the point, I have noticed that my hair is alot shinier, and that tons more hair is growing out, there were baby hairs everywhere when I first started the collagen, and I'm still getting more 2 months later.

And then I am also taking a small MSM supplement now, which helps your body to produce it's own collagen etc, and apparantly it's well documented that MSM goes very well with collagen. I really think that anyone who is having an issue growing their hair should definitely do some research and consider taking these two supplements, they really are working very well for me.

From which brand is it?

elfynity
February 9th, 2023, 02:12 PM
From which brand is it?

Croww, the ones I am using are these:

Beauty Gen Naked Collagen Plus (https://www.faithful-to-nature.co.za/beauty-gen-naked-collagen-plus)
https://www.wellnesswarehouse.com/media/catalog/product/cache/eda0a498209e8f34b3b86627f7e28064/b/g/bg__naked_collagen_plus_500g_1_.jpg

And ...

The Real Thing MSM Powder (https://www.faithful-to-nature.co.za/the-real-thing-msm-powder)
https://m.faithful-to-nature.co.za/media/catalog/product/cache/1/thumbnail/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/t/h/the_real_thing_the_real_thing_msm_powder_sku66559_ .jpg

Croww
February 9th, 2023, 02:16 PM
Croww, the ones I am using are these:

Thank you! I'm moving to Ireland soon and I'll order them when I get there. I see that they got an official site where I can order from, the first collagen powder you mentioned. Hopefully, it works for me!

Dark40
February 9th, 2023, 08:54 PM
Hi everyone! I was just wondering if theres any hair growth supplements you guys have tried that have worked best for you? Of course theres the biotin vitemins, but is there any that have worked best and fastest?? Thanks guys!:)

The hair growth supplements that is helping me at the moment is the ones that is called, "Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin, and Nails Gummies." They are really helping my hair to grow out from a bad trim a year or so ago! I've trimmed my 21" of hair up to collarbone length, and now my hair has grown to between BSL and WL! And, that without any trims, and along with the Nature's Bounty Hair, Skin, and Nails Gummies I do take a multi vitamin daily as well along with other vitamins. Like, Vitamin C, B, D, and E, and I also eat a very well-balanced diet.

paulownia
February 10th, 2023, 02:04 AM
For years now I've been faithful to drinking nettle and yeast. Recently I brew nettle and horsetail and I notice new growth and ton of baby hair:D

WednesdayAddams
February 10th, 2023, 11:29 AM
Honestly, no supplements ever really changed the growth rate or growth quality of my hair. As far as the rate, that probably is what it is, barring illness, so I wasn't very surprised. However, I WAS surprised that a year of taking supplements including biotin really just didn't change a single thing for how healthy my hair looked or felt. I still take certain supplements for my overall health.

elfynity
February 10th, 2023, 12:47 PM
Thank you! I'm moving to Ireland soon and I'll order them when I get there. I see that they got an official site where I can order from, the first collagen powder you mentioned. Hopefully, it works for me!

I think this is the official link: https://welliam.co.za/products/naked-collagen-plus ? Croww, the hydrolized collagen is what I started on first , it only took a few weeks to notice a massive difference in new hair growth, shininess and my nails are like super powers now!

So, just on this topic still, what I found out is that there are loads of collagen supplements out there, but if you want to use it for hair, you need to make sure that it is hydrolized, type 1 (for skin, hair and nails) and comes with vit c (because they work together to be absorbed into your body). Apparantly MSM makes it a complete miracle pack, but I've just started the MSM a few days ago. But from the results I got just from the collagen have been truly amazing already. There are other benefits to these supplements, but we're just talking about hair really!

angel-baby
February 10th, 2023, 12:55 PM
I’ve been taking collagen gummies for years, added in fish oil for Omega-3s about a year ago, and recently started taking the Garden of Life women’s multivitamin bc it has zinc and iodine as well as a bunch of other stuff. My big 3 for hair are collagen, Omega-3s, and zinc. I eat pretty healthily overall, but the supplements help me round out any gaps.
I don’t think my hair is necessarily growing faster, but the hair that grows in is super shiny, dense, and strong.

elfynity
February 10th, 2023, 01:15 PM
I don’t think my hair is necessarily growing faster, but the hair that grows in is super shiny, dense, and strong.
I really do agree with this as I have seen this with my hair since I started on the collagen. My hair is generally fine and dull, but the hair around my face is really growing out shiny and smooth. Interesting about the zinc and omegas, I'll look into that.

Dark40
February 15th, 2023, 03:46 PM
For me, Ive also added a new vitamin supplement which is an iron supplement. I've read on google that taking iron increases how fast your hair grows. So, I'm giving that a try and see how that works a long with me taking my multi-daily vitamins and the hair, skin, and nails gummies.

foreveryours
February 15th, 2023, 05:30 PM
Be careful with iron. A little is very necessary, but more can be a very bad thing.

https://www.news-medical.net/health/What-Happens-if-You-Take-Too-Much-Iron.aspx

pullanmuru
February 16th, 2023, 01:19 AM
I supplement vitamins when I have a proven deficiency. I used to have low iron and very low vitamin D and I fixed both with supplements. Can't really tell if it had any change in my hair tho. I had many vitamin/mineral levels tested and most of them were good, so I know my dietary intake is sufficient and supplementing on something you already have plenty is not always a good thing. I was actually surprised that I had such good levels because I don't always have the healtiest of diets.

Some vitamins/minerals can actually be toxic when you have too much, for example iron, selenium, zinc and iodine. Also some vitamins taken in excess can interfere with the absorption of other things, for example calcium supplements taken with food lowers the absorption of iron in the food. With water-soluble vitamins like B and C it's not such a big issue as the excess flushes out but still it's a waste of money if you don't need it. Based on my own experience I always encourage everyone to test their levels before supplementing with something, if possible, even if it's just to save money from not buying supplements you don't actually need but also for safety of supplement use.

I used to take a collagen supplement initially for my joints (I have osteoarthritis) but haven't really noticed much change in my hair, nails or joints for that matter. Collagen products do get broken down to amino acids anyway so it's essentially just protein. And I eat plenty of protein anyway. Clearly the biggest change in my hair I have seen with the use of henna. My hair was at its' absolute longest and strongest when I used henna and now that I don't, I definitely see the difference. I haven't seen this big of a change in my hair with any other lifestyle modification. My hair is very thin and fine but I was able to grow it much longer without all the breakage than I feel I currently can.

elfynity
February 16th, 2023, 02:41 PM
Clearly the biggest change in my hair I have seen with the use of henna. My hair was at its' absolute longest and strongest when I used henna and now that I don't, I definitely see the difference..
This is a very interesting statement. Do you mean that you used henna as a hair mask, or that you actually dyed it, I guess I'm asking, how did you use it that you saw good results.

Dark40
February 16th, 2023, 02:44 PM
Be careful with iron. A little is very necessary, but more can be a very bad thing.

https://www.news-medical.net/health/What-Happens-if-You-Take-Too-Much-Iron.aspx

Thank you for that information on about being careful of how much iron to take. I have already spoken to my doctor if taking 65mg plus my multi-daily vitamin will be okay to take, and she said, "Yes, you can take that mount of iron daily without any complications or side effects, and I don't eat foods that are rich in iron. So, I think I'm okay with it.

I supplement vitamins when I have a proven deficiency. I used to have low iron and very low vitamin D and I fixed both with supplements. Can't really tell if it had any change in my hair tho. I had many vitamin/mineral levels tested and most of them were good, so I know my dietary intake is sufficient and supplementing on something you already have plenty is not always a good thing. I was actually surprised that I had such good levels because I don't always have the healtiest of diets.

Some vitamins/minerals can actually be toxic when you have too much, for example iron, selenium, zinc and iodine. Also some vitamins taken in excess can interfere with the absorption of other things, for example calcium supplements taken with food lowers the absorption of iron in the food. With water-soluble vitamins like B and C it's not such a big issue as the excess flushes out but still it's a waste of money if you don't need it. Based on my own experience I always encourage everyone to test their levels before supplementing with something, if possible, even if it's just to save money from not buying supplements you don't actually need but also for safety of supplement use.

I used to take a collagen supplement initially for my joints (I have osteoarthritis) but haven't really noticed much change in my hair, nails or joints for that matter. Collagen products do get broken down to amino acids anyway so it's essentially just protein. And I eat plenty of protein anyway. Clearly the biggest change in my hair I have seen with the use of henna. My hair was at its' absolute longest and strongest when I used henna and now that I don't, I definitely see the difference. I haven't seen this big of a change in my hair with any other lifestyle modification. My hair is very thin and fine but I was able to grow it much longer without all the breakage than I feel I currently can.

Thank you for that information on about being careful of how much iron to take. I have already spoken to my doctor if taking 65mg plus my multi-daily vitamin will be okay to take, and she said, "Yes, you can take that mount of iron daily without any complications or side effects, and I don't eat foods that are rich in iron. So, I think I'm okay with it.

pullanmuru
February 17th, 2023, 03:05 AM
This is a very interesting statement. Do you mean that you used henna as a hair mask, or that you actually dyed it, I guess I'm asking, how did you use it that you saw good results.

I used it to dye my hair for about 10 years or so. It did build up in my length a lot as well and I used to leave the paste on for hours, to get that deep colour.

tuanyiji
February 18th, 2023, 03:50 PM
Collagen peptides, MSM, fish oil, multivitamins are the best combination in my case.
If they are not within your budget or ethical standards, the most affordable and healthiest way is lots of clean water, sleep/napping, exercise, and protein (from dairy, meat, or eggs), also don’t forget to eat your fruits and vegetables.

elfynity
February 19th, 2023, 12:04 PM
I used it to dye my hair for about 10 years or so. It did build up in my length a lot as well and I used to leave the paste on for hours, to get that deep colour.

This is fascinating, I did have a friend long ago who henna'd her hair jet black for years and she said that it made her hair strong and grow long, but I didn't pay much attention. I know it's a commitment in colour, but it is intersting that henna seems to strengthen hair, I wonder what it is doing to it that makes it work?

Collagen peptides, MSM, fish oil, multivitamins are the best combination in my case.

Im doing the hydrolized collagen and MSM. I have to take very small amounts of MSM though, just started it as a supplement and it has made my tummy feel a bit unhappy, so only taking a quarter teaspoon or even less a day. I am still seeing tons more baby hairs growing, so it must be working - my hairline has actually changed shape a bit because of all the new growth in new places.