PDA

View Full Version : People with horn combs....

amantha
September 22nd, 2011, 11:10 PM
....how do you take care of your combs? I just ordered two...one from heavenly harvest and one from ebay. The heavenly harvest website says to rub lanolin in it.......but I think that would be kind of gross to have that combed into your hair. The ebay seller just recommended using a mild soap to clean it and that's it.

So what do you guys do to take care of your horn combs?

P.S.- Sorry if this covered in another thread. I'm pretty new here and I tried using the search function but couldn't really find anything that answered my question specifically.

dulce
September 22nd, 2011, 11:15 PM
I just store them carefully,no mention of any care was given when I bought them and they are still in good condition a year later.

terryn
September 22nd, 2011, 11:27 PM
I think lanolin, or any oil, is less important if you are stretching washes as the sebum will keep the comb oiled with the oils of your hair. However, most "organic" material material things (combs, earrings, hair accessories, etc.) benefit from light oiling. It is absorbed into the material, just like you skin. But you can really use any type of oil - so just use a little of whatever you put in your hair, or run the comb thru your hair after oiling, it all works the same. The point of it is to keep the material from drying out and getting brittle, which can cause cracks and breaks. HTH.

Cassie 123
September 22nd, 2011, 11:31 PM
You're only intended to use a tiny bit of lanolin, very infrequently, rubbed in well.

But yeah, I have lanolin but I've never put it on my combs. I comb when there is a generous amount of coconut oil on my hair, and that seems to coat the comb quite nicely.

amantha
September 22nd, 2011, 11:39 PM
I was hoping to use them as my detangling combs on my hair when it's wet after a shower. I don't oil my hair, and I wash my hair every other day because it gets greasy pretty fast. I don't know if my freshly washed hair will have enough oil in it to keep the comb moisturized. I might try a tiny bit of lanolin.....or running it through my hair before I shower when it's all greasy to get some oil in it. I didn't know how important it actually was to keep them moisturized but it makes sense that thry would dry out over time given that they're made from a porous, organic material. Thanks for the help guys! :)

terryn
September 22nd, 2011, 11:46 PM
I wouldn't recommend horn combs for wet hair, honestly. You can get away with damp, and I do with mine (which I've had for two years now), but really wet just showered hair will make the comb more brittle if used regularly. I used my first horn comb on wet hair semi-frequently (it was a heavenly harvest one) and it broke after about three months. :( I brought a Creative 3W comb for wet detangling, and save my horn comb for dry hair.

amantha
September 22nd, 2011, 11:55 PM
I wouldn't recommend horn combs for wet hair, honestly. You can get away with damp, and I do with mine (which I've had for two years now), but really wet just showered hair will make the comb more brittle if used regularly. I used my first horn comb on wet hair semi-frequently (it was a heavenly harvest one) and it broke after about three months. :( I brought a Creative 3W comb for wet detangling, and save my horn comb for dry hair.

I keep my hair wrapped in a towel turban for about 45 mins while I do the rest of my post-shower routine. When I comb it out it's not wet.....just damp. I hope they'll be okay!

I got the super detangler from hairsense a few weeks ago and I'm disappointed with it. The teeth are so wide I can't use it to part my hair and it doesn't get a lot of my tangles out. It was also very poorly filed. I could see all the file lines on it and parts of it still didn't feel smooth and I ended up filing them down. But I'm still a little paranoid to use it on my hair. Also the resin combs have an awful smell to them that smells exactly like formaldehyde. I looked up what they're made from and sure enough, formaldehyde is a major ingredient! That's why I decided to go the horn comb route.