PDA

View Full Version : Bridesmaid hair

Cirafly24
September 22nd, 2011, 06:37 PM
I was a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding a few weeks ago. She asked that I leave my hair mostly down, although she said a half-up would be fine. She wanted a flowy, romantic theme to the dresses and hairdos. We all had appointments at the same salon for our hair on the morning of the wedding.

I had decided on a waterfall braid, like this (http://data.whicdn.com/images/11980543/Cute-waterfall-braid-girl_large.jpg), with loose curls in the length. Like a dolt, I forgot the reference photos I had printed, so I tried to explain it to the stylist. I ended up with something more like this (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-Wx-KSZxTmJE/TmMYmQRd8zI/AAAAAAAAA1s/iZVAtVo6CpI/s1600/princess_thumb.jpg), but it looked ok. I have to see if anyone took a good picture of the top/back, but here is what it looked like from the front:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/DragonflyWings/019.jpg

Now...I'm going to be in another wedding next month, and the bride gave us free reign on hairstyles. I'd like suggestions! And if you have ever been a bridesmaid, post a picture of your hairstyle! :)

ETA: I found some more pictures -

The curls in the back:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/DragonflyWings/DSCF2121.jpg

The twist/braid crown thing:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/DragonflyWings/DSCF2122.jpg

This one shows how the front was pulled back, and you can see a few of the little sparklies:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/DragonflyWings/219-1.jpg

spidermom
September 22nd, 2011, 06:39 PM
Your long curls look so pretty!

CastaDiva
September 22nd, 2011, 06:51 PM
Your hair looks wonderful! Love the dress and shoes too:)

Cirafly24
September 22nd, 2011, 06:53 PM
Thanks! I had been a little worried about the curling iron...but my sister had the appointment before me, and she told the stylist all about how careful I am with my hair. Apparently she really talked her ear off about what I do and don't like to use on my hair haha.

So the stylist was ready for me...she made a point of showing me that the curling iron was on the lowest heat setting, and she used heat protectant spray and minimal hairspray. I was very happy with how she put me at ease like that.

Airmide
September 22nd, 2011, 06:54 PM
It looks pretty! I hope you're able to find more pictures of the back and sides.

I really like the waterfall look and think it would be pretty on you. It seems like the pic you first posted might somehow be a rope waterfall?

Or if you've got a really talented hair braider or could learn to braid yourself, the waterfall fairy tale braid: http://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon#p/u/92/6rof-KoJwsw or the carousel braid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0UkFYLP_hs are really impressing me right now! Maybe you could add some decorations or flowers to match the wedding colors and theme? Or here is a simpler but still really pretty and unique braid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCN6jJe-dAQ&feature=related

I've never been a bridesmaid but have played my violin in many weddings. I usually do a half-up like you have, with a lace rope or french braid. Now that I know how to do the waterfall braid, I'd probably try that!

Cirafly24
September 22nd, 2011, 06:58 PM
It looks pretty! I hope you're able to find more pictures of the back and sides.

I really like the waterfall look and think it would be pretty on you. It seems like the pic you first posted might somehow be a rope waterfall?

Or if you've got a really talented hair braider or could learn to braid yourself, the waterfall fairy tale braid: http://www.youtube.com/user/lilithedarkmoon#p/u/92/6rof-KoJwsw or the carousel braid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0UkFYLP_hs are really impressing me right now! Maybe you could add some decorations or flowers to match the wedding colors and theme? Or here is a simpler but still really pretty and unique braid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCN6jJe-dAQ&feature=related

I've never been a bridesmaid but have played my violin in many weddings. I usually do a half-up like you have, with a lace rope or french braid. Now that I know how to do the waterfall braid, I'd probably try that!

Yes it does kind of look like a rope waterfall, doesn't it? I'll check out those videos when I get home tonight. You're avatar was what inspired the updo in my avatar :D Thanks for the inspiration!

I think I have at least one photo at home of the back of my hair...I put little rhinestone hair spirals in as well.

AnnaJamila
September 22nd, 2011, 07:05 PM
I would be thrilled to have my hair come out like that!! So beautiful! :)

wooliswonderful
September 22nd, 2011, 07:33 PM
Gorgeous! I like the look of the second braid better. :)
Looks like your next post will be 1000, congrats & love your hair!

Cirafly24
September 22nd, 2011, 08:15 PM
Gorgeous! I like the look of the second braid better. :)
Looks like your next post will be 1000, congrats & love your hair!

Look at that! 1000 :cheese:

Thanks for the heads up! I hadn't even noticed.

Lostsoule77
September 22nd, 2011, 09:33 PM
Jenna I think both you and your hair looked gorgeous!

I've been a bridesmaid a few times. I'll have to see if I can dig up some old photos because I don't really remember what I did with my hair. :)

pepperminttea
September 22nd, 2011, 10:14 PM
You look amazing; I love that dress, and your flowing curls are perfect. :)

longhairedlady
September 22nd, 2011, 11:08 PM
You look so pretty! And as far as the next hairstyle, definitely do a style that will show off the length! :)

Lisa R
September 22nd, 2011, 11:26 PM
You and your hair look so gorgeous and go hand in hand with each other!

Cirafly24
September 23rd, 2011, 12:27 AM
Jenna I think both you and your hair looked gorgeous!

I've been a bridesmaid a few times. I'll have to see if I can dig up some old photos because I don't really remember what I did with my hair. :)

Thanks :) I definitely want to see photos if you can find them!

You look amazing; I love that dress, and your flowing curls are perfect. :)

Thank you :flower: I may even get to wear the same dress for the second wedding! None of the same people will be there, so who will know? hehe

ETA: I found some more pictures. I'll put them in the first post.

Airmide
September 23rd, 2011, 11:34 AM
Yes it does kind of look like a rope waterfall, doesn't it? I'll check out those videos when I get home tonight. You're avatar was what inspired the updo in my avatar :D Thanks for the inspiration!

I think I have at least one photo at home of the back of my hair...I put little rhinestone hair spirals in as well.

Oh wow, we do match don't we? I'm so flattered! Your buns look beautiful too. Did you like how the style looked from different angles? I like the angle I have up, but I didn't much like it from the other angles. I thought it looked like a giant pointy cone bra from the back rofl.

Cirafly24
September 23rd, 2011, 01:00 PM
Oh wow, we do match don't we? I'm so flattered! Your buns look beautiful too. Did you like how the style looked from different angles? I like the angle I have up, but I didn't much like it from the other angles. I thought it looked like a giant pointy cone bra from the back rofl.

I liked it from that same angle hehe...I didn't really like it from the front, the accent braids looked a little odd, but I thought it looked ok from the back. Strangely, my fiance LOVED this updo, and he doesn't normally take any interest in my hair.

I found some more pictures from the wedding, I put them into the first post.

FrozenBritannia
September 23rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
Here is a pic of me as a bridesmaid a few years ago. Virgin hair. I had showed the hairdresser a photo of a fifties style rockabilly side ponytail and she gave me...
http://i1086.photobucket.com/albums/j453/FrozenBritannia/hair/11.jpg

I don't have a pic of the back, but basically the top half was a mini beehive type thing and then she tried to give me ringlets in all the rest, but as you can see a bit, all the hairspray in the world won't hold a good curl in my hair.:rolleyes: I really wish someone had told me to trim my bangs too.. LOL

Airmide
September 23rd, 2011, 03:27 PM
I liked it from that same angle hehe...I didn't really like it from the front, the accent braids looked a little odd, but I thought it looked ok from the back. Strangely, my fiance LOVED this updo, and he doesn't normally take any interest in my hair.

I found some more pictures from the wedding, I put them into the first post.

Is he a star wars fan? Maybe it reminds him of Leia buns? Or maybe he just likes it (consciously or not) cause it reminds him of boobies? haha.

I like the pics you posted! I see you're a 2b/2c so it looks like you have a lot of natural curl? The ringlets look nice, but I'd love to see what you could get naturally, maybe by plopping with some flax seed gel? I get pretty decent results from that, and you'd probably do even better! Also it looks like your stylist just did a simple rope pulled back from your face. I like your idea better of a waterfall. They look more ornate, plus everything gets let down so you get to keep all the thickness!

doodlebug66
September 23rd, 2011, 03:30 PM
That was so pretty, cannot wait til I can wear my hair in styles like that.

Airmide
September 23rd, 2011, 03:33 PM
Ok now that I've gone to look at your albums, especially based on your rose buns...your first bridesmaid style was pretty, but I have NO DOUBTS you could do way better styling your own hair!

Also, aside from your great forehead hairline, I think it almost looks like we could be related. That's not something I often think! You look a little like a cross between myself and one of my cousins.

Slinks
September 23rd, 2011, 03:42 PM
if would have been nice if you had've had your first choice but never mind you look gorgeouse :-)

Slinks
September 23rd, 2011, 03:45 PM
hmmm ... not sure where my post went ???? did I click the wrong button ??? lol

here is what I said, sort of - I hope I don't end up double posting !!

anyway ..

it would have been nice with your first choice but never mind you look gorgeous :-)

Cirafly24
September 23rd, 2011, 06:06 PM
Is he a star wars fan? Maybe it reminds him of Leia buns? Or maybe he just likes it (consciously or not) cause it reminds him of boobies? haha.

I like the pics you posted! I see you're a 2b/2c so it looks like you have a lot of natural curl? The ringlets look nice, but I'd love to see what you could get naturally, maybe by plopping with some flax seed gel? I get pretty decent results from that, and you'd probably do even better! Also it looks like your stylist just did a simple rope pulled back from your face. I like your idea better of a waterfall. They look more ornate, plus everything gets let down so you get to keep all the thickness!

Haha the subconscious reminder of boobies could definitely be it! :laugh:

I have quite a bit of natural wave, and my ends tend to spiral if I leave them alone. I haven't been able to find a good way of plopping. Do you have any suggestions?

Ok now that I've gone to look at your albums, especially based on your rose buns...your first bridesmaid style was pretty, but I have NO DOUBTS you could do way better styling your own hair!

Also, aside from your great forehead hairline, I think it almost looks like we could be related. That's not something I often think! You look a little like a cross between myself and one of my cousins.

Really? That's funny. I do actually have a cousin on LHC, although I don't know her username, and she has hair about your length. I've never actually met her, we're something like third or fourth cousins...I only know her on Facebook. So there may be another longhair on LHC that looks like you :p

Airmide
September 24th, 2011, 08:43 PM
Lol well I don't post face pictures online but if you have yahoo messenger or something like that I could show you a face pic and you could see what you think. We're not like OMG twins! or anything lol, but you remind me of my favorite cousin, who looks at least related to me, and I think you look more related to me than she does even. She's a few years older than I am and you remind me a lot of what I imagined she'd grow up to look like.

I've actually found a fairly decent way of plopping. I think there are some tutorials on youtube? I let my hair dry almost all the way, then slather in the flax seed gel. Then I curl my ends around my finger so they all spiral together. I lay an old long-sleeved T-shirt on the bed or counter, with the neck closest to me (I may be doing this wrong, but this is how I do it). I bend at the waist and flip my hair over onto the T-shirt, laying the curled ends down first and then letting the length pile up on top of it so the collar is at my forehead. I bring the back part (the waist) to the nape of my neck and cross it, then I take the arms from in front, wrap them around to the back and cross, then around to the top and tie in a knot. I look kinda silly this way, but it does a pretty good job! Uploads are broken but I have a couple pictures of my hair after plopping to upload when they get un-broken. Maybe I'll try and look around on youtube and see if I can find the video, plus remind myself if I'm doing it wrong lol. I wear the T-shirt turban on my head around the house a while, or even out sometimes, til I'm ready to take it down. After I take it down it finishes drying the rest of the way. You really do have to use more flax gel than you'd think though to get more curls. You can get enhanced curls just from plopping with the T-shirt like that, which I sometimes do, but they last a lot longer with the gel!

Cirafly24
September 25th, 2011, 10:15 PM
Lol well I don't post face pictures online but if you have yahoo messenger or something like that I could show you a face pic and you could see what you think. We're not like OMG twins! or anything lol, but you remind me of my favorite cousin, who looks at least related to me, and I think you look more related to me than she does even. She's a few years older than I am and you remind me a lot of what I imagined she'd grow up to look like.

I've actually found a fairly decent way of plopping. I think there are some tutorials on youtube? I let my hair dry almost all the way, then slather in the flax seed gel. Then I curl my ends around my finger so they all spiral together. I lay an old long-sleeved T-shirt on the bed or counter, with the neck closest to me (I may be doing this wrong, but this is how I do it). I bend at the waist and flip my hair over onto the T-shirt, laying the curled ends down first and then letting the length pile up on top of it so the collar is at my forehead. I bring the back part (the waist) to the nape of my neck and cross it, then I take the arms from in front, wrap them around to the back and cross, then around to the top and tie in a knot. I look kinda silly this way, but it does a pretty good job! Uploads are broken but I have a couple pictures of my hair after plopping to upload when they get un-broken. Maybe I'll try and look around on youtube and see if I can find the video, plus remind myself if I'm doing it wrong lol. I wear the T-shirt turban on my head around the house a while, or even out sometimes, til I'm ready to take it down. After I take it down it finishes drying the rest of the way. You really do have to use more flax gel than you'd think though to get more curls. You can get enhanced curls just from plopping with the T-shirt like that, which I sometimes do, but they last a lot longer with the gel!

I added you to my contact list on AIM :) My username is in my profile. Thanks for the tips on plopping! I will try that tonight.

Anyone else have picture/suggestions for bridesmaid hairdos? I actually might be getting married myself in a month or two (yay for short notice!)...I'll have to start thinking about my hair for that too!!

Airmide
September 26th, 2011, 12:20 AM
Oh wow, that IS short notice for a wedding!! If we do a vow renewal/wedding I'm planning to wear my hair just in a simple waterfall braid, probably either with a crown of flowers, or just weave them into the braid. I love the waterfall because it keeps hair away from my face and adds some interest, but it still leaves ALL of my length hanging down. The other half-ups take part of my length and then I feel like my thin ends don't look as good. But your ends are much thicker so you might be able to do a lot of different styles!

Does AIM talk to yahoo? I'm not so familiar with AIM. I hope it does!

Cirafly24
September 26th, 2011, 02:04 PM
Oh wow, that IS short notice for a wedding!! If we do a vow renewal/wedding I'm planning to wear my hair just in a simple waterfall braid, probably either with a crown of flowers, or just weave them into the braid. I love the waterfall because it keeps hair away from my face and adds some interest, but it still leaves ALL of my length hanging down. The other half-ups take part of my length and then I feel like my thin ends don't look as good. But your ends are much thicker so you might be able to do a lot of different styles!

Does AIM talk to yahoo? I'm not so familiar with AIM. I hope it does!

I know, very short notice! We are just going to do a very small ceremony at the church with the required two witnesses. We'll have a big reception next summer. We just want to be married already! We've been engaged for almost 3 years.

I tried plopping last night. I waited until my hair was mostly dry, then scrunched in some gel mixed with my defrizz spray (AVG, water, jojoba oil). I used an old t-shirt and plopped my hair in it as you suggested. I left it like that for about an hour, but it wasn't dry yet when I took it down, so I put it back up and slept in it. This morning it was quite curly. I took a few photos but didn't have a chance to upload them to photobucket before work. I will post them later.

ETA: Here is the photo of my plopped hair this morning:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/DragonflyWings/DSCF2142.jpg